Capture1 (resized).JPG
IMG_9741 (resized).JPG
IMG_9740 (resized).JPG
C9723638-FF12-4D4B-B062-D73B3C166FDF (resized).jpeg
CF2D93AA-E793-4D10-BDCA-5FAA420F8DDD (resized).jpeg
7E0CD2DF-E8C5-4C08-AD63-8AE03D7F0CB0 (resized).jpeg
20210108_192245 (resized).jpg
356386D8-927E-49FB-B108-947F27EB03A1 (resized).jpeg
Spinning Disc Adjustment.pdf (PDF preview)
20201230_195950 (resized).jpg
20201230_121407 (resized).jpg
20201230_103902 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

2 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 2,745 posts in this topic. You are on page 28 of 55.
#1351 3 years ago
Quoted from Gryszzz:

Nobody is talking about "pre-ordering" going away but you. Stern is obviously killing that game.

Yeah you get it. Stern is doing a great job. I just wondered why some were so happy to hop on a brand new situation. I guess it's mostly just having the shiny new thing for streamers or operators. Honestly I'm usually the first to drop coin or try out a new game but am very leary on being the first to purchase for reasons I mentioned. Levi is right too, no real risk with stern putting out product. Game looks awesome either way. So pumped to try one out. Hopefully no problems or clear issues.

#1352 3 years ago

Pourin out one for all the operators here.
Feel awful for you guys. It'll get better. It always does.

#1353 3 years ago

I gotta say the more I think about it the more disappointing it is that the pro doesn’t include the captain marvel ramp. The annoying part is that it isn’t really a cost cutting thing, the pro adds a spinner in its place which basically off-sets the cost of a $20 ramp. They just basically changed the layout to make the prem more appealing...

#1354 3 years ago
Quoted from Gryszzz:

Dude has been here for 10 years. You've been here for 10 minutes. Maybe stop being such an argumentative child and listen to what someone with a lot of experience has to say. Cause he's right.
Game looks amazing but I'm waiting on the mountain of "my pf is chipping and pooling OH NOOOO's" threads. Always entertaining. Some of you will never learn lol.

Did you move that Corvette yet? If not, go back to your thread and give it a BUMP!

#1355 3 years ago

It hasn't moved in 7 years pal. Why you goy an Infinity stone that will move it?

#1356 3 years ago

Infinity stone=cash

#1357 3 years ago
Quoted from Gryszzz:

It hasn't moved in 7 years pal. Why you goy an Infinity stone that will move it?

The Infinity Stone I will put down is a 48" Darth Vader Battle Buddy and a Dark Vader Lightsaber. Let me know when you want to come out, I offer free delivery.

IMG_20200906_163600 (resized).jpgIMG_20200906_163600 (resized).jpgIMG_20200906_190344 (resized).jpgIMG_20200906_190344 (resized).jpg
#1358 3 years ago

(deleted)

#1359 3 years ago
Quoted from docquest:

Not just years but decades.
I just started watching the DC show Doom Patrol on HBO Max and its is bat shit crazy (in a great way). I knew it was based on a comic and after some reseach learned that a lot of the weirder stuff in the show was pulled directly from the comic in the 60's.

Yeah i never heard of Doom Patrol before but the show is AMAZING and like you noted, was in the comics years ago.

#1360 3 years ago
Quoted from nicoy3k:

I gotta say the more I think about it the more disappointing it is that the pro doesn’t include the captain marvel ramp. The annoying part is that it isn’t really a cost cutting thing, the pro adds a spinner in its place which basically off-sets the cost of a $20 ramp. They just basically changed the layout to make the prem more appealing...

It’s called a marketing strategy. Gotta pay to play.

#1361 3 years ago

I certainly cant afford a new pinball... I currently have a Batman 66 (premium) and a Beatles Gold (which I love as a social multiplayer game). Thinking of selling the Batman to fund this Avengers - thoughts? AND does anyone know if the call outs and voice actors are the actual actors from the film or no?
Thanks !
Steve

#1362 3 years ago
Quoted from simbob:

I certainly cant afford a new pinball... I currently have a Batman 66 (premium) and a Beatles Gold (which I love as a social multiplayer game). Thinking of selling the Batman to fund this Avengers - thoughts? AND does anyone know if the call outs and voice actors are the actual actors from the film or no?
Thanks !
Steve

Why would the actors be involved? Their likenesses aren't used at all. More likely something close to what the recent video game used.

#1363 3 years ago
Quoted from Lounge:

It’s called a marketing strategy. Gotta pay to play.

Not really.... it’s bad marketing. Good marketing makes you pony up the dough for superfluous features.

#1364 3 years ago
Quoted from simbob:

AND does anyone know if the call outs and voice actors are the actual actors from the film or no?

I'm starting to think by the year 2030 people won't even know what a comic book is anymore.

Right now Keith Elwin might singlehandedly be the only thing keeping pinball interesting for me. When I first saw the teaser for this game on Instagram I thought it was a movie pin and instantly thought . Really didn't want to see another movie pin. Thankfully I was totally wrong.

Even if some people are having trouble grasping that this is a true comic-based theme the more I see the more interesting it becomes. Keith just 'gets it'. I mean no disrespect to anyone else in the industry, but it just feels like the model of having the game's designer also be so in charge of the overall vision isn't used enough. I'm sure it's a team effort still, but his playfields and rules just feel right together.

Spooky should get the credit for doing the comic book LCD justice first, but these simple animations remind me of what a DMD should be. If the whole game really looks like all the teasers they've posted up I think Stern has a winning formula this time. TMNT could have really used this approach imo. Hell, so could have Iron Maiden. I'll take this look over 3D models any day of the week. Simple, graphic, just enough motion and flash to be interesting while easy to glance up at during gameplay.

I'll definitely be catching the stream tomorrow, I haven't been this curious to see a game in action in a while. The only real unknown is sound. I wasn't wild about the trailer music, and the voices are a mystery.

#1365 3 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I'm starting to think by the year 2030 people won't even know what a comic book is anymore.
Right now Keith Elwin might singlehandedly be the only thing keeping pinball interesting for me. When I first saw the teaser for this game on Instagram I thought it was a movie pin and instantly thought . Really didn't want to see another movie pin. Thankfully I was totally wrong.
Even if some people are having trouble grasping that this is a true comic-based theme the more I see the more interesting it becomes. Keith just 'gets it'. I mean no disrespect to anyone else in the industry, but it just feels like the model of having the game's designer also be so in charge of the overall vision isn't used enough. I'm sure it's a team effort still, but his playfields and rules just feel right together.
Spooky should get the credit for doing the comic book LCD justice first, but these simple animations remind me of what a DMD should be. If the whole game really looks like all the teasers they've posted up I think Stern has a winning formula this time. TMNT could have really used this approach imo. Hell, so could have Iron Maiden. I'll take this look over 3D models any day of the week. Simple, graphic, just enough motion and flash to be interesting while easy to glance up at during gameplay.
I'll definitely be catching the stream tomorrow, I haven't been this curious to see a game in action in a while. The only real unknown is sound. I wasn't wild about the trailer music, and the voices are a mystery.

Funny it's almost like we have to bring back the charm of the DMD. Simple animations which have more impact.

#1366 3 years ago

TMNT animations are quite good, but Stern loves the people that like simple slide show in AIQ, because it costs a lot less to produce. Both look good on different styles of games. But holding full judgement till stream is revealed tomorrow.

#1367 3 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I don't know of anybody who isn't grasping the game as true comic book theme??? Also for better or worse tmnt is different which is better than same same...

#1368 3 years ago
Quoted from simbob:

Thanks !
Steve

It isn’t based on the movies (thank goodness) so no.

#1369 3 years ago
Quoted from gecko157:It isn’t based on the movies (thank goodness) so no.

The callouts can break this game. We’ll hear them soon. There is a little concern they don’t have the quality needed to fit the game.

#1370 3 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

...20 bucks into the machine, a beer at the bar of the location...

in fact you did all wrong !

i know some guys, would have been 1 buck in the machine, 20 beers at the bar...

#1371 3 years ago

Yeah, dump the Beatles Gold and buy something else.

#1372 3 years ago
Quoted from Thunderbird:

TMNT animations are quite good, but Stern loves the people that like simple slide show in AIQ, because it costs a lot less to produce.

Could it be that the BOM for the game can be higher when Stern decides 'we'll use less budget for the animations'? Would make sense, wouldn't it?
I think it works well for Alice Cooper and probably AIQT as well: if animations can't be made to the level of JJP games, it's probably better to make more simple but well suited comic-book-style animations.

#1373 3 years ago
Quoted from Thunderbird:

TMNT animations are quite good, but Stern loves the people that like simple slide show in AIQ, because it costs a lot less to produce. Both look good on different styles of games. But holding full judgement till stream is revealed tomorrow.

How do you know it costs less? How do you know it doesn’t take just as much time as the 3D models in TMNT?

There’s all these animation “experts” in here but does anyone commenting have any real world experience with animation?

Looking at the animations they must have all been drawn either by Marvel or Chuck and co at Stern, or maybe a combination of both?

There’s a hell of a cost right there if marvel is helping with the animation and graphics, it’s still a massive amount of time and cost if Stern have done it all in house with Chuck and team.

What looks simple doesn’t always equate to simple and cheap. I’m also pretty happy Stern are mixing up their lcd display style and animations, this works perfectly for a comic book themed pin, 3D models worked perfectly for JP having a mix of style between games is great.

#1374 3 years ago
Quoted from sven:

if animations can't be made to the level of JJP games

#1375 3 years ago
Quoted from Makakka:

The callouts can break this game. We’ll hear them soon. There is a little concern they don’t have the quality needed to fit the game.

I'm positive for it as Marvel is in charge with the callouts. We will see soon.

#1376 3 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Agreed, the animations on Avengers look fantastic . This pin looks to be a win,win,win in all categories.

I have not been this excited for a pin in a long time.

#1377 3 years ago
Quoted from frankmac:

Agreed, the animations on Avengers look fantastic . This pin looks to be a win,win,win in all categories.
I have not been this excited for a pin in a long time.

I think the whole pinhead community is pumped for this release, layout alone looks amazing, the art is amazing as always from @zombieyeti, animations have been hit and miss but definitely a hit here!

I know a lot of the distributors over here in Europe have had more demand and sold out faster than any release in a while. You can still get Stranger Things LEs and TMNT LEs here, AIQ no chance get on the waiting lists.

#1378 3 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Omg if you only knew how much money a good comic shop makes. Go to a comic shop on a Wednesday to see how many people are there to pick up their monthlies. Add to that the amount a toys and collectables people buy now. Comics arent going anywhere until the paper ban of 2047

#1379 3 years ago
Quoted from John1210:

for better or worse tmnt is different which is better than same same...

Yes, I'm happy that they take different approaches regarding the LCD. It would be kinda boring if they just decided to stick with one. 2D, 3D, movie clips, TV clips. What's next? Original film clips? Home movie clips? Simulated DMD? Or maybe the LCD can just have cable TV and the game is just a big remote. Gotta hit the shots to change the channel. Ok, I really should follow my no posting until after coffee rule...

#1380 3 years ago

Super excited to see the stream today and actually see what we're dealing with in the way of Audio/Visual data from the backbox .....

I figure if I don't like it - my LE will always have kept it's value, so I can sell and move on to the new DEEPROOT/JJP machines, lol.

This is a Win/Win - Folks !

#1381 3 years ago

I thought I read that Stern limited the LE to 500. Do they often up that limit later on based on game popularity or is that it?

#1382 3 years ago
Quoted from pghpinfan:

I thought I read that Stern limited the LE to 500. Do they often up that limit later on based on game popularity or is that it?

Who knows, Stern screwed over the Munster LE buyers afterwards by upping the edition size from 500 to 600 and then released a colored play field on the premiums months after release that was sold as exclusive feature to the LE...

#1383 3 years ago
Quoted from J85M:

How do you know it costs less? How do you know it doesn’t take just as much time as the 3D models in TMNT?
There’s all these animation “experts” in here but does anyone commenting have any real world experience with animation?
Looking at the animations they must have all been drawn either by Marvel or Chuck and co at Stern, or maybe a combination of both?

I worked in television and video production for 15 years. An animation and graphics package like the one on TMNT would require a small external team of designers, artists, motion graphics professionals and 3D animators. I would expect five or six people maybe 6-8 months to get it all done at a budget of no less than 250K US. Probably much closer to 500K.

The graphics package on AIQ looks to be the work of one or two competent motion graphics pros and a graphic designer who would supply typography and additional handmade (giant pinball) and stock assets like the city backgrounds. From what I’ve seen, each of those animations would be between 4 hours (Captain America) and two or three days (THOR) of work for one person. They would likely be using Adobe After Effects and a 2D particle effects plugin. It’s the off-the-shelf particle effects that make some of the animations appear ‘cheap’.

I haven’t seen the whole package, but I would guess these are all done in-house at either Marvel or Stern using a limited number of Marvel-supplied still images of the characters. I’d guess they spent 4 or 5 months start to finish on the whole package including all the stuff we haven’t seen yet.

Edit: It’s very possible this AIQ graphics package was compromised by Covid.

Just guessing here, but at a generous 70 or 80k per year salary for the one or two people doing all this work, $40k - $50k is what I think this AIQ package would cost all-in, assuming all of the Marvel-supplied art is stock from their archives and not bespoke for this project.

#1384 3 years ago
Quoted from Blacksun:

Who knows, Stern screwed over the Munster LE buyers afterwards by upping the edition size from 500 to 600 and then released a colored play field on the premiums months after release that was sold as exclusive feature to the LE...

Same with B66SLE buyers - after asking for videos and people to beg to be able to buy 1/30, they upped it to 80.

I feel like they’ve done it with another title also? I know that They “promised” TWD would have no Premium then released it after the LE has sold out.

But I thought there was another example of upping the LE number after release.

Really lame.

#1385 3 years ago
Quoted from J85M:

There’s a hell of a cost right there if marvel is helping with the animation and graphics

Actually. Marvel is notorious for underpaying their artists.

I’ve worked for Dreamworks for 8 years and Sony Pictures Animation for 6 years. And now I own my own animation studio here in Salt Lake. Certainly the TMNT animations costs a pretty penny especially when compared to this Avengers work we see here.

Avengers is using “after effects animation” and TMNT, interestingly enough was “rendered” in a real-time game engine. Each separate animation only seems to utilize two or three different poses and doesn’t actually have any transition animation on the characters themselves. Very cheap and relatively safe to do. I imagine Stern did this as a scheduling strategy more than anything.

The cost of producing after-effects animation of this caliber....would come in around $10-$20 a second. (And that’s considering the 2D artwork I already drawn and colored) That’s a rough estimate.

TMNT. Different story. Most of the costs are in the 3D asset creation and not the actual per-second footage.

#1386 3 years ago
Quoted from Scandell:

I’ve worked for Dreamworks for 8 years and Sony Pictures Animation for 6 years. And now I own my own animation studio here in Salt Lake. Certainly the TMNT animations costs a pretty penny especially when compared to this Avengers work we see here.
Avengers is using “after effects animation” and TMNT, interestingly enough was “rendered” in a real-time game engine. Each even gets animation only seems to utilize two or three different poses and doesn’t actually have any transition animation on the characters themselves. Very cheap and relatively safe to do. I imagine Stern did this as a scheduling strategy more than anything.
The cost of producing after-effects animation of this caliber....would come in around $10-$20 a second. (And that’s considering the 2D artwork I already drawn and colored) That’s a rough estimate.
TMNT. Different story. Most of the costs are in the 3D asset creation and not the actual per-second footage.

Makes sense, this game was definitely under the gun timeline wise. It's the reason why the LE/Prem art is the same.

#1387 3 years ago
Quoted from Scandell:

Avengers is using “after effects animation” and TMNT, interestingly enough was “rendered” in a real-time game engine. Each separate animation only seems to utilize two or three different poses and doesn’t actually have any transition animation on the characters themselves. Very cheap and relatively safe to do. I imagine Stern did this as a scheduling strategy more than anything.
The cost of producing after-effects animation of this caliber....would come in around $10-$20 a second. (And that’s considering the 2D artwork is already drawn and colored) That’s a rough estimate.

#1388 3 years ago

We are getting real animation explanations here. I didn't want to say anything because people get so defensive. Thanks for the great explanations Scandell and @plasticbugs. I have been explaining to several of my friends these animations are very very simple and look like the product of a short development cycle.

If you like it then that's all the matters but most of them seem like reddit gifs to me.

#1389 3 years ago
Quoted from Waxx:

We are getting real animation explanations here. I didn't want to say anything because people get so defensive. Thanks for the great explanations scandell and plasticbugs. I have been explaining to several of my friends these animations are very very simple and look like the product of a short development cycle.
If you like it then that's all the matters but most of them seem like reddit gifs to me.

Maybe both a shorter development cycle and relocating some money on more things on the playfield? Seems a little more packed than usual.
Nevertheless i find the animations so far quiet matching for a comic themed pin. But waiting for the full animations tonight to build a final verdict.

#1390 3 years ago

When I saw that TMNT was using a real-time animation engine renderer, I assumed they were going to have a ton of interactive “video modes” controlled by the flipper buttons. Stern is certainly positioning themselves to be able to deliver “video modes” for future games.

I haven’t played TMnT yet. Are there video modes?

#1391 3 years ago

Clean look, clear message is how I like my animations.

Avengers seems to be doing just that.

We will see soon..

#1392 3 years ago

I think when people complain about the "Animation" on TMNT, they're complaining about the art style of the 3D characters. The animation looks fine for TMNT, but the turtles and April look rough IMO.

AIQ may not have top notch animation, but I'm glad they kept with an art style that at least tries to mimic the playfield/comic art. Turtles is way off from the TV show and ZY playfield art.

#1393 3 years ago
Quoted from Scandell:

When I saw that TMNT was using a real-time animation engine renderer, I assumed they were going to have a ton of interactive “video modes” controlled by the flipper buttons. Stern is certainly positioning themselves to be able to deliver “video modes” for future games.
I haven’t played TMnT yet. Are there video modes?

Nope and I doubt the hardware is powerful enough for any real time 3d rendering.

#1394 3 years ago
Quoted from Soulstoner:

I think when people complain about the "Animation" on TMNT, they're complaining about the art style of the 3D characters. The animation looks fine for TMNT, but the turtles and April look rough IMO.
AIQ may not have top notch animation, but I'm glad they kept with an art style that at least tries to mimic the playfield/comic art. Turtles is way off from the TV show and ZY playfield art.

It is two completely different Thanos designs in the animation and on the everything else.

thanos1 (resized).pngthanos1 (resized).pngthanos2 (resized).pngthanos2 (resized).png
#1395 3 years ago
Quoted from Waxx:

It is two completely different Thanos designs in the animation and on the everything else.[quoted image][quoted image]

Yep yep - and this is such a simple fix....either have the same artist do the playfield and LCD work, or at least maybe get them on a Zoom meeting so they can be on the same page. Doesn't matter how wonderful Zombie Yeti's work looks, if it doesn't match with what else is in the game, the game as a whole looks disjointed and suffers as a result.

#1396 3 years ago
Quoted from heyitsjoebob:

Yep yep - and this is such a simple fix....either have the same artist do the playfield and LCD work, or at least maybe get them on a Zoom meeting so they can be on the same page. Doesn't matter how wonderful Zombie Yeti's work looks, if it doesn't match with what else is in the game, the game as a whole looks disjointed and suffers as a result.

In the grand scheme of things, this doesn't really matter. Maiden has completely different art direction between the LCD work and playfield artwork and nobody cares since the game is awesome and won game of the year honors!

#1397 3 years ago
Quoted from MikeS:

In the grand scheme of things, this doesn't really matter. Maiden has completely different art direction between the LCD work and playfield artwork and nobody cares since the game is awesome and won game of the year honors!

I mean people care. The Animations in IMDN bring the overall awesomeness down... Just not enough to kill the game.

#1398 3 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

LOLWUT? Imagine being so asinine as to not acknowledge that Marvel comics existed LONG before “marvel studios” and that all the stories being told in the MCU are sourced from the comics from YEARS before. This is some flat-earth level bonkers.
Sure, the MCU brought more popularity to the characters and stories, but this is not a “Movie Game”. And it’s a HUGE BENEFIT to pinball that it is not. Licensing actual movie assets and the actors within is a damn mine-field of massive expenses with what you need for a game with an LCD screen — and then on top of that you’re horribly hamstrung by what resources you have to work with.

I get how Marvel Comics created Marvel Studios blah blah blah. My point was that just because this pin is fashioned from the comics story doesn’t mean it has to have comic book style animations. The powers that be could have done something less safe and more imaginative. Hope that clears up my previous statement that triggered you.

#1399 3 years ago
Quoted from nicoy3k:

I mean people care. The Animations in IMDN bring the overall awesomeness down... Just not enough to kill the game.

I really like the IMDN animations and what they did with the LCD screen. And callouts/voice actors are some of the best I've ever heard. Great package!

#1400 3 years ago
Quoted from Gryszzz:

[quoted image]

Yeah, Markus and McFeeley are total Hollywood hacks (sarcasm sprinkled on).

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 749.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Orange County Pinballs
Toppers
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie
Other
€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop
Under cabinet
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 24.00
Cabinet - Other
BomberMods
Other
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Scranton, PA
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball
Toppers
$ 169.95
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound
Sound/Speakers
$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods
Protection
6,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bay Shore, NY
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound
Sound/Speakers
$ 8.00
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
$ 6.00
Playfield - Protection
Apron Envy
Protection
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PR Mods
Sound/Speakers
$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods
Protection
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinEffects
Sound/Speakers
$ 32.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Toys/Add-ons
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Little Rock, AR
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com
Armor and blades
$ 69.50
Playfield - Other
Precision Pinball prod.
Other
$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Side Gig Studios
Other
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com
Armor and blades
$ 19.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
$ 29.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Toys/Add-ons
€ 70.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop
Toys/Add-ons
$ 6,995.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley
Pinball Machine
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 2,745 posts in this topic. You are on page 28 of 55.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/avengers-endgame-pin/page/28?hl=pixel8arcade and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.