(Topic ID: 241566)

Avengers End Game......Holy Crap!....What a Movie!..

By OLDPINGUY

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 295 posts
  • 83 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by ForceFlow
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Avengers End Game”

• Know the Story, Going to see 71 votes
    55%
  • Dont know the story, Going to See 18 votes
    14%
  • Not going at All 39 votes
    30%

(128 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
almanac (resized).jpg
15C91A86-FAC9-49C9-8C82-764DE08A4AC4 (resized).jpeg
ducky.gif
20190506_152632 (resized).jpg
tenor.gif
d8jfzJO (resized).png
Here-s-Marvel-s-New-Female-Thor-Photo-Gallery-457961-8 (resized).jpg
Riri-Williams-Iron-Man-Main (resized).jpg
20190428_154209 (resized).jpg
20190428_154142 (resized).jpg
93D23971-C918-43E5-9773-19738731630D (resized).jpeg
4AC727C6-30BD-4835-8462-BB1CC911A309 (resized).jpeg
A2EBF8C7-DEDF-4243-8D8B-D2DC945A44DE (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider xsvtoys.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#164 4 years ago

More major spoilers below! (Although it’s kinda moot at this point in the thread).

It was good entertainment. It was mostly better than the generic stuff we get these days. Yes it got slow at times but it generally went by nicely and was enjoyable. Still there were too many problems with it to make it great, all mentioned here. Basically if you just sit and let it flow by it’s good. If you start thinking too much, then you have problems.

One thing that bothered me that I didn’t see mentioned...if the Cap figured out how to stay back in time and live with the love of his life, why would he age into an old man? I was under the impression that he as some sort of immortal, like Wonder Woman. Shouldn’t it have been the skinny version of him dancing with her, before he was turned into Superman? Then he would age with her and live a normal life. And wait, if he stayed behind when he got back in time, what happened to the other version of himself that was already there?

Another puzzling moment. When he gave the shield to the dude and said now you are Captain America. Wouldn’t you need to go in the machine to be Captain America? Otherwise, you’re just a human with a shield.

There were 4 times when the theater burst into applause.

When Captain America wields Thor’s hammer. Well that was pretty damn cool, might be my favorite part of the movie.

When Black Panther steps in. Huh? Sorry I’m with Cartman on the Black Panther movie.

When Captain Marvel appears at the fight scene. Cool effect.

The previously mentioned scene when all the females line up to “help” Captain Marvel, who has the powers of 20 Supermen and a dozen or so gods, go 50 feet across the battlefield. This is one of the worst things ever put onto film. I threw up in my popcorn. Came close to ruining the whole movie for me. Pathetic.

The whole theater was bawling their eyes out when the hero died. Seriously you could hear the sniffling.

#172 4 years ago
Quoted from DaWezl:

I’m a woman and I found that scene irritatingly patronizing. I greatly preferred all the moments of women matter of factly kicking ass right there with all the guys to this weird pause to line up all the girls and then have them ultimately fail.

Exactly! Patronizing is a good word. But, lot of people gobble up that kind of thing so you can’t really blame them for putting it in. Movies these days are primarily about making money and Hollywood is very good at it.

#179 4 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

I dunno how a paradoxless time travel story could have worked in this movie....but I would have at least changed/removed two huge things that bugged me:
-Nebula killing her younger self. That just cannot happen in any time travel logic. If you killed yourself, you wouldn’t exist from that point on - and if you didn’t exist, you couldn’t kill yourself. PARADOX!
-Past Gomora will have a different life path now...that means she was never sacrificed for the soul stone, she never met Quill....yet everything still still
happened & Quill remembers their relationship. PARADOX!
I really hope people check out the movie Time Crimes. It’s an amazingly clever time travel story with no paradoxes.
As for younger people watching long dialog-heavy stuff....they love Game of Thrones, so sure!

It’s Timecrimes all one word if you are looking it up on Netflix, I put it in my queue at the top, I was running out of things to watch. I mean, I still have Aquaman and Venom coming, but I don’t have high hopes for either one of those.

#181 4 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

A lot of overthinking going on up in here.
This movie was the graduation present from Marvel for all of us fans who have followed the movies since the beginning. Potentially sacrificing some of the science and logic, they gave me all the moments I wanted out of the past decade of the MCU while leaving just enough to connect it to the next big chapter of the MCU.
If you want a cool time travel movie that will take you 3-4 watchings to even really understand what happened, check out Primer.

I put Primer in my queue also, haven’t heard of it before, should be fun.

#203 4 years ago

We have IMAX nearby and I have seen lots of movies there. It’s always cool going there and seeing a movie on a gigantic screen. But the true 70mm IMAX experience has been gone for years now, all of the film projectors have been yanked from the theaters and replaced with digital, or “LieMAX” as some like to call it. I think Interstellar was the last one to be shown on the real projectors in movie theaters. Using different technologies various movies can be shown in the IMAX theaters, but the true IMAX movies shot with the 70mm cameras are gone. Exceptions are the IMAX theaters in various museums.

#206 4 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Yes.. but crossing wires a bit here. LieMAX was the term coined when they started branding standard movie theatres with upgrades as IMAX. They were a 1.9 aspect ratio 2k digital cinema experience (showing content produced from a number of formats) and not the classic 70mm IMAX projectors and 1.4 screen format.. hence the coining of 'lieMAX'. That experience was like THX in the day.. a boosted experience.. and in this case, larger screens, special projection, and sound.
Then there was the 4k digital upgrades to the classic 70mm 1.4 screen theatres with their laser light digital projectors which are awesome. Many of the classic IMAX theatres have gone through this transformation... and those theatres do show modern hollywood content. They benefit from the sound system, screen size, and enhanced 4k digital projection.
Also, and what the recent Russo branding is about is... IMAX's digital CAMERAS... so yes, not the classic 70mm cameras... but not lieMAX either.. but IMAX continuing to push their branding into digital camera systems. The new camera is more about the production side.. since it can do stereo 4k (instead of using two cameras.. or two 2k images).
So yes, most of your neighborhood multiplex IMAX showings are the 1.9 2K digital cinema 'lieMAX' experience.. but there are 4k oversized IMAX theatres out there showing the films as well.. and on the content capture/create side... There is still a mix of IMAX 70mm going on (Star Wars films were using it) and the newer IMAX camera is significant to enabling high quality 3D content.
So.. it's not just 'lieMAX' anymore.. there are several shades of grey

All true, but the key takeaway is that everything is digital now. There are no more of those 70mm film projectors in the cinemas (only museums). If you have been going to IMAX for a long time, you well know the sound of those projectors firing up from above. You can easily hear the click-clacking during quieter parts of the movie. That's gone now of course.

Now as to whether the current best generation of digital 4K is "better than" the 70mm film, that is something some people like to debate over. But it is splitting hairs probably, the digital looks excellent also, and technology and time march on.

Its all stuff that most of the movie-going public doesn't know about. They just pay their money and go to an IMAX movie and assume they are seeing an "IMAX movie", whatever that is. As flynnibus pointed out, there are many different versions of what is going on there. The whole "LieMAX" was more of a controversy a while back when they were pulling out the last of the 70mm film projectors. The thing is, the industry, including IMAX and the theaters, were not very transparent about what was going on. They tried to hide it, or cover it up, or whatever, depending on your point of view. But then, you had the internet, so the information was there, but you had to go looking for it. It didn't make the general press too much. I remember calling the local IMAX theater several times to ask about their projectors, and I got the runaround, but finally someone admitted that once Interstellar played they would be pulling out the projectots and going digital.

Luckly, my spidey sense kicked in and I didn't go to the theater to see Interstellar. I waited for video. That was a godawful movie.

#210 4 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

We had a wonderful real IMAX (film) here in Madison. Went to all the documentaries like Fish 3D narrated by Johnny Depp, Hubble narrated by Leonardo DiCaprio, Beowulf 3D and Avatar.
Then in 2013 they swapped in digital LieMAX. First movie I saw in LieMAX was Interstellar. You could actually see the pixels. Terrible. I haven't paid to see in a movie there since.
Granted it's still a huge screen and steep seating so not the *worst* example of LieMAX. But the digital can't compare with 70mm film ran sideways.

Its frustrating, isn't it? Maybe when you went last they had dropped in the 2k projectors. These are OK but far from great. It could be that they have since upgraded to the 4k, which should look pretty good. I believe their newest tech is something called laser projection. It may or may not be found in any specific IMAX theater. Its supposed to be even better.

What is annoying is the lack of information for the consumer. There are no clear answers to be found anywhere. If you go to your local theater's website there is no mention of the actual projector technology being used. If you click the link about the IMAX Experience you just get generalized marketing blather about how cool it is. The only way you can find out for sure is by inquiring at your local theater and asking about the exact IMAX projector system they are using. Talking to the general manager would be best. But even then they might blow you off, or give you a half-ass story. You also have to do your research on each specific film to find out how it was filmed. Many of these IMAX films were only partially taken with IMAX cameras.

This is why I didn't bother to go to Endgame in IMAX even though the IMAX theater isn't too far. I just went to a local Cinemark theater and saw it on their "XD" screen. It was fine, but here again, I have no clue what "XD" really means because you can't find any details about that either. But it was big and loud and had reserved comfy seats so no complaints.

By the way, if they were limited in their quest to fix the universe by their supply of Pym particles, why didn't they start out by going back and getting a bunch more Pym particles to give them more breathing room?

#214 4 years ago
Quoted from SKWilson:

Love the movie. Can't wait for digital release. Working retail does have some perks...
[quoted image]

LOL the rabbit is front and center!

#222 4 years ago

I also was kinda disappointed with the Hulk. He was nothing at all in Infinity Wars, and then in End Game, well, not much better. This was one thing that I did not think of before the movie and also did not get a spoiler on, so it was kind of cool to see it at first. But, right away I was thinking, now that he is a constant amalgam of both sides, maybe he will channel everything positive from both and do something really kick-ass and awesome. You know, like, Smash. But it didn't really happen.

I think some things are played out. Thus why Iron Man is gone, Black Widow is gone, Hulk is ???. Of course there are prequels, side plots, and in the end, anyone can be brought back to life somehow.

#227 4 years ago
Quoted from rai:

Anyone think it was strange that Hulk didn’t heal from the arm injury at the end?

Before I saw the movie I was thinking the only thing that makes sense is that the original Avengers are all killed off. The movie is called Endgame after all. Well, they didn’t all die, but effectively, the original 6 seem to be done for. Why must they die? Different reasons, maybe there isn’t enough story left to milk anymore, or it’s time to move on and let other characters step in, or possibly it just isn’t practical to keep paying these actors $20million+ to keep coming back for more movies.

Iron Man - dead.
Black Widow - dead.
Captain America - very old and apparently weak and dying soon.
Hulk - half-Banner, half-Hulk, apparently no longer hugely powerful, arm mangled possibly permanently.
Hawkeye - will quit again to be with family.
Thor - joining GOTG for comic relief??? He does seem to still have his powers even as beer gut Thor. This one is puzzling.

#273 4 years ago

Saw Timecrimes, it was decently entertaining, especially considering they probably spent more money making Captain America’s shield for the Avengers movie than the entire budget for this one.

#282 4 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

He would be smart enough not to be seen around. Peggy worked A LOT. Not sure what Steve would have done with all that time. Bowling?

Oh, nothing much really. Just reading some stuff.

almanac (resized).jpgalmanac (resized).jpg

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

5,050 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
White Oak, PA
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PR Mods

$ 79.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Arcade Upkeep

$ 16.00
Boards
Lermods

$ 100.00
Playfield - Other
JuanSolo's modshop

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Decals
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 255.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Haus

$ 64.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

€ 48.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Kami's Pinball Parts

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 27.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 135.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

5,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Allentown, PA
$ 29.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 26.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider xsvtoys.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/avengers-end-gameholy-crapwhat-a-movie?tu=xsvtoys and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.