DSC_6020.JPG
plastic.JPG
LokiRelo 003.jpg
LokiRelo 001.jpg
206543-i.jpg
32.png
100_0180.JPG
100_0173.JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider sheprd.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#82 8 years ago

I recently picked up a HUO Hulk LE. The good news is that it is like brand new... the bad news, is that is like brand new. Still has the original software and none of the tweaks needed to make the game work well. After dialing in the shooter rod, updating software, and various adjustments, I ordered the update kit from Stern. Looking at the replacement plastic with the two spikes that goes behind the Hulk, I can see no way that this piece is not going to break.

For those that wonder what the modification is about, apparently when the Hulk slings the ball against the rubber just to the side of this left arm, the ball can get forced under the plastic and end up resting against the bridge arm support. When the ball search feature kicks in and the bridge is raised, this opens up enough room that the ball falls into the hole and TWACK... that awful sound of the ball hitting the bottom of the inside of the cabinet. Not cool.

The purpose of spikes are to prevent the ball from getting into that space. The problem is, the plastic piece is not strong enough and not supported well enough to do this... it just breaks.

plastic.JPGplastic.JPG

To address this problem, I made a metal support that goes under the plastic that ties into the support posts for the plastic on the other side of the bridge support. PETG might work, but this is thinner and much stronger. (We are dealing with the Hulk here).

I bent a lip on the side towards the Hulk and then at the rear hanging over the back metal ball guide to give extra stiffness. It worked out quite well!

DSC_6020.JPGDSC_6020.JPGDSC_6019.JPGDSC_6019.JPG

#85 8 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

The spikes are not the reason the plastic breaks. The originally shipped games were having that Hulk plastic broken and also the occasional ball falling into the cabinet because the spikes were not there.
The breakage is from the ball being forced into the side of the plastic by the flailing Hulk arm and then the torque breaks the plastic around the screw in the above diagram.

Certainly hulk hitting the side with his arm or forcing the ball against the edge of the plastic could break the plastic as well. Any force applied to the area in the diagram is going to put too much stress on the plastic at the point that they are breaking. That is why I put a lip on the metal edge to provide a little more rigidity. There are a few more places in this game that seem very poorly supported as compared to older games. Cost savings I guess...

We should start a poll... if Cliffy made a protector available, who would buy one?

3 months later
#90 8 years ago
Quoted from Sheprd:

I recently picked up a HUO Hulk LE. The good news is that it is like brand new... the bad news, is that is like brand new. Still has the original software and none of the tweaks needed to make the game work well. After dialing in the shooter rod, updating software, and various adjustments, I ordered the update kit from Stern. Looking at the replacement plastic with the two spikes that goes behind the Hulk, I can see no way that this piece is not going to break.
For those that wonder what the modification is about, apparently when the Hulk slings the ball against the rubber just to the side of this left arm, the ball can get forced under the plastic and end up resting against the bridge arm support. When the ball search feature kicks in and the bridge is raised, this opens up enough room that the ball falls into the hole and TWACK... that awful sound of the ball hitting the bottom of the inside of the cabinet. Not cool.
The purpose of spikes are to prevent the ball from getting into that space. The problem is, the plastic piece is not strong enough and not supported well enough to do this... it just breaks.
plastic.JPG
To address this problem, I made a metal support that goes under the plastic that ties into the support posts for the plastic on the other side of the bridge support. PETG might work, but this is thinner and much stronger. (We are dealing with the Hulk here).
I bent a lip on the side towards the Hulk and then at the rear hanging over the back metal ball guide to give extra stiffness. It worked out quite well!
DSC_6020.JPGDSC_6019.JPG

To make the part:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/all-hulk-get-is-tilt-avengers-club/page/11#post-2740721

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 27.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 255.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Haus

$ 135.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 29.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

€ 48.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Kami's Pinball Parts

$ 64.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

4,950 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
White Oak, PA
$ 26.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

5,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Allentown, PA
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 79.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Arcade Upkeep

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider sheprd.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/avengers-definitive-tweak-guide?tu=sheprd and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.