Linked Games

Topic poll

“Is avengers code complete”

• Hell yes 15 votes
    31%
  • Fark no 34 votes
    69%

(49 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

There are 62 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 9 years ago

Couple of well priced LE avengers around atm and I am thinking of taking the plunge on one.
Maybe some avengers owners can chime in and help me with this.
Is the game code complete or does it need more polish?
How does the game play with the code as it is right now?

#2 9 years ago

Plays fine. There's a bug with Thor's flasher not always working right & no dots for the wizard mode you probably will never see anyway.

Still hope for an update.

#3 9 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Plays fine. There's a bug with Thor's flasher not always working right & no dots for the wizard mode you probably will never see anyway.

I noticed that you don't have the game in your collection any more, is there a major reason why you let the game go?
How do you think it would hold up as the only pin in the house?
I know everything gets boring eventually but I am at the stage where I only have room for one pin right now.
I was actually facing the prospect of selling up and having none but I can get away with one game....keep it for a while, play it, flip it.....repeat.

#4 9 years ago
Quoted from Wamprat:

I noticed that you don't have the game in your collection any more, is there a major reason why you let the game go?
I know everything gets boring eventually but I am at the stage where I only have room for one pin right now.
I was actually facing the prospect of selling up and having none but I can get away with one game....keep it for a while, play it, flip it.....repeat.

I definitely had lots of fun with it for 6 months or so. I still like it - no ill will....I just played it a ton and felt like it was time to put something else in that spot. My general thing for "long ball time" type games is - when I'm playing it, how does it compare to LOTR or TSPP - my favorite "long play games" that IMO stay super interesting during those marathon sessions....if I feel like I'd rather be playing those games, I feel like it can go. Eventually that's what happened with Avengers, but I still like it more than other "long" games I sold (TF, BDK, Xmen, etc). The shots are tight but feel great when made. I like the "Monster Bash" style rules of collecting/assembling the characters. The music and sound FX are awesome IMO. I like the GI color change FX when you start different modes. Even though the voices are all fakes, there's good "pinball humor" in the custom call outs. The Hulk & Loki Multiballs are fun and challenging.

Keep in mind, mine was well modded/dialed in...it's usually a pain-in-the-butt game out of the box and needs some TLC to get it to play flawlessly. Once I got it dialed, it stayed that way.

#5 9 years ago

Thanks very much for the advice, besides from the ball getting stuck around the hulk figure what else needs to be dialled in?

#6 9 years ago
Quoted from Wamprat:

Thanks very much for the advice, besides from the ball getting stuck around the hulk figure what else needs to be dialled in?

On mine I had to tweak the ball guide on the Cap entrance so that the ball looping around from the IM shot would go clean to the flipper instead of the sling. Many people have to dial things in w/ the BW ramp...the spinner bracket sometimes needs a tweak...sometimes you need some washers to level out the ramp sections so the ball travels smoothly.

I had Hooked's mods...his new Loki lock plastic which is so much better than the stock one as it doesn't block your view of the SHIELD target or IM's shot...also his "see clearly" mod for the Loki inserts.

There's prob a bunch of other stuff - there's a thread that's all about Avengers tweaks!

#7 9 years ago

I'm no Stern software expert but I feel the Avengers current code it great. I have encountered more things I would consider "bugs" in Bally Indy 500 code than the Avengers.

That being said, I almost always end up collecting Black Widow last and it seems to take a ridiculous amount of shots to collect her compared to the other Avengers, so I would like to see that adjusted.

Also I think you should get some credit against collecting CA for making his shot once the pop bumper mode has been activated (very minor).

As for tweaks, there are several threads on Pinside describing the problems and fixes. In a nutshell:

Hulk switch adjustment (30 minutes)
Black Widow ramp adjusting (30 seconds to 5 minutes if shim washers are needed)
Black Widow ramp ball shield raising (6-8 washers and 2 minutes)
Shooter ramp tweaking (some foam pads and 2 minutes)
Shooter rod adjustment (2 minutes unless the hole through the cabinet needs to be moved/enlarged)
LEDs under slings hot glued or siliconed in place (2 mins)
Relocating the Loki Lock plastic to enhance view of Fury target(2 minutes)

Mandatory Mod for LE
Hooked "see clearly" plastics - enables view of inlane inserts

There were a few mods provided by Stern that should already be applied to any resale machine
BW to Hulk Saucer extra ring
Loki lock ball resting area sticker

#8 9 years ago

Code is largely complete and very good. Spinner has no role in the game, needs one. I've had tav over a year, still love it, not going anywhere. Don't consider it a very long ball game, certainly not like tspp, and it's not stop and go like tspp can be.

#9 9 years ago

The code is good in the game. They brought it to a very good level very quickly. Could have used one more polish update which we won't be getting apparently but the game as it stands is good. I think the game at the current market price is a steal.

I bought in NIB so I'll be taking a hit whenever I sell it, but that's ok, I don't buy games for investment and I've had fun with it while I owned it.

#10 9 years ago

I love my Avengers and think the code is fairly complete. Would love to see an update with the bugs fixed and maybe some minor tweaks but it's not a deal breaker for me. I agree with the above that AV is at a good value price now. No telling if it will cont to drop, stabilize or start to creep up. My only concern for you is I don't think I could have this game as my only pin. At first the ball times are not long but as you get better the ball times increase drastically. It's not uncommon for me to have 20-30 min games on mine now. The problem with that in a one pin environment is that if you have a good game that takes 20-30 mins it's hard for me to press start again. At my house if I have one of those games I generally move to another pin for a while then come back to it.

#11 9 years ago
Quoted from 85vett:

I love my Avengers and think the code is fairly complete. Would love to see an update with the bugs fixed and maybe some minor tweaks but it's not a deal breaker for me. I agree with the above that AV is at a good value price now. No telling if it will cont to drop, stabilize or start to creep up. My only concern for you is I don't think I could have this game as my only pin. At first the ball times are not long but as you get better the ball times increase drastically. It's not uncommon for me to have 20-30 min games on mine now. The problem with that in a one pin environment is that if you have a good game that takes 20-30 mins it's hard for me to press start again. At my house if I have one of those games I generally move to another pin for a while then come back to it.

Yeah, that's why I always compare long games to TSPP/LOTR. If it's not in that league, then it won't be a super long term keeper. They've set the high bar.

#12 9 years ago

Funny, I hate TSPP. Always thought it was a chore.

Really like my Avengers Pro though. I tweaked the Black Widow ramp, and now I generally complete her second after Hulk (set her difficulty to easy). After the Plexus treatment, that thing is such a rewarding shot. I find IM and especially the Capt America shot WAY harder now believe it or not.

As for software I'd love to see tweaked...

- Some kind of fix for the H target! Doesn't happen much on mine, but I know it happens a LOT on other machines where the H drop target pops back up and the ball continually hits it then falls back into the extra ball/Hulk start. Easy fix would be to simply force the H to stay down an extra two seconds. Problem solved.

- Thor light as mentioned.

- Add combo champion. It's in the settings menu, why not in the game? I want to see my name in lights for the five BW shots in a row I made!

That's pretty much all I got. Fixes would be VERY easy I think, wouldn't take much time, so why not just crank it out in a day or so?

Overall, though, I think the software is very good, and the game, when dialed in, is great. Amazingly well integrated to the movie!

#13 9 years ago

Should also note I've never made it to wizard mode, never even close really, so no idea about the lack of dots.

AOTH, though, is in and is a GREAT mode.

#14 9 years ago
Quoted from RDReynolds:

Funny, I hate TSPP. Always thought it was a chore.

It's not, though. If you have a long TSPP (or LOTR) game, you're CONSTANTLY uncovering new and interesting modes, mini-wiz modes, etc...almost everything can stack on everything...so there's always something to shoot for & accomplish. Everything you do MEANS something for progressing toward the "ending".

Avengers is similar in that you're progressing toward something, but with a much simpler ruleset. You can stack all the Avengers "modes" during the first half of the game...but I found the 2nd half is where it starts to get a bit tedious. Once you assemble the Avengers, every time you start their modes after that, it's a Vs. mode. Every Vs. mode is a 2-ball Multiball. So - at this point in the game, not only are the modes unstackable...each Vs. mode really only has you juggling back and forth between 2 shots...and because they're Multiballs, they keep your game going forever. End an unfinished Vs. mode, you're gonna start it again....or a different one. This is the point of the game where I'd start to get bored....on the other hand, if I was playing TSPP (or LOTR) - I'd still be doing lots of interesting & stacked features & mini-wiz modes like Mystery Spot, Secret Stash, Scratchy's Revenge, Alien Invasion, etc.

#15 9 years ago

Interesting. I owned a TSPP, and am a HUGE Simpsons fan. But I just found the game to feel like work, no matter how I played it. I know others who felt the same way. Just never ever clicked with me.

Avengers, OTHO, I love the VS. modes. Maybe it is due to the simpler nature of it, not sure. Could just be different strokes, though.

#16 9 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Needs an update.
*various minor bugs (and annoyances!): Thor flasher. Hulk "H" drop target/saucer issue. Others
*no spinner rules
*Black Widow shot useless during Hulk MB. Only shot rendered as such. All other Avengers shots can be scored towards collection if activated...but not Black Widow
*no Wizard Mode dots (so is there a payoff for finishing?)
*pops rules are sorely lacking...and when you're actually in the "pops mode" trying to collect Captain America the lights aren't even active. WTF?
*needs more variety in Nick Fury awards....especially a ball saver during Aothc mini wiz mode
*some people complain about "bonus x rape". Code could address this.

No doubt I'm forgetting something too.

#17 9 years ago
Quoted from RDReynolds:

I know others who felt the same way.

Most of the people I know that have issue with the game don't understand more than about 20% of the rules, or have a hell of a time on the upper playfield making the TV and couch lock shots. It's SUPER FRUSTRATING to get the ball up there many times and get nothing out of it...

#18 9 years ago
Quoted from 85vett:

Where are your outlanes?

#19 9 years ago
Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

Hulk "H" drop target/saucer issue

Adding a few washers under the bracket of the kickout solenoid corrects this.....Overall I think the code needs one more update to finish the game up proper.

Game needs a little more to it like the rest of Family Arcades post suggests.

#20 9 years ago
Quoted from Wamprat:

For many, many months for me it was the only pin in the house....despite the fact that I had ACDC Premium, CSI, TFLE and IM in the house too. I think its fine as a one pin game....but I agree with RareHero that it's not as good as LOTR or sm (for me, TSPP for him) in terms of longer game games. AVLE shreds over BDK, TF and most other long games that come to mind.

#21 9 years ago

For many, many months for me it was the only pin in the house....despite the fact that I had ACDC Premium, CSI, TFLE and IM in the house too. I think its fine as a one pin game....but I agree with RareHero that it's not as good as LOTR or sm (for me, TSPP for him) in terms of longer game games. AVLE shreds over BDK, TF and most other long games that come to mind.

I wish it wasn't a one pin proposition for me right now but one is better than none I guess and I figured a LE might be a nice way to go.
I have owned IM,SM and TF in the past and have played BDK enough to have a feel for the game. IM and SM I would like own again one day.
TSPP and LOTR are also games I would love to have in the house.

I was not keen on Avengers when it was first released and playtime on the pro in noisy arcades did not help one bit and I had to go back quite a few times just to get some basic understanding of the game in a noisy environment but there was enough there to suggest that it is a game I would enjoy.
Have never played the LE but the prices atm are very fair...even by Australian standards.

#22 9 years ago

Where are your outlanes?

Set on the low setting. Have to keep in mind I keep them that way on most of my pins for my family. If they are open they don't have any fun and then don't play the pins. I move them in and out sometimes but with Avengers it's still a fairly long ball time game for me. Some well timed nudges keeps the ball out of those lanes pretty easily.

Needs an update.
*Black Widow shot useless during Hulk MB. Only shot rendered as such. All other Avengers shots can be scored towards collection if activated...but not Black Widow

Finally a plus for us Pro owners

#23 9 years ago
Quoted from centerflank:

Adding a few washers under the bracket of the kickout solenoid corrects this.

Not entirely. It can help, but not a 100% fix. The h needs to go and stay down when ball goes in saucer, just as in tspp when ball goes in I&S hole. Code fixed this in TSPP, it should fix it for TAV.

#24 9 years ago

Needs an update.
*various minor bugs (and annoyances!): Thor flasher. Hulk "H" drop target/saucer issue. Others
*no spinner rules
*pops rules are sorely lacking...and when you're actually in the "pops mode" trying to collect Captain America the lights aren't even active. WTF?
*needs more variety in Nick Fury awards....especially a ball saver during Aothc mini wiz mode
No doubt I'm forgetting something too.

This indicates to me it really needs a code update and it could be a deal breaker. Plus the little tweaks that are required to get the game up to speed.

#25 9 years ago

Do not get me wrong....I've happily played this game in my home for 16 months. For me, now, after all this time I believe the game needs an update for me to keep it. I have done everything there is to do on this machine except finish Battle For Earth. I love this game. It's easily been my favorite since I bought it new. No one that comes over to play it has any idea that the code could be improved. All they know is the game is fun and 100% of people playing it at my house have liked it. Many have really liked it.

Alot of games need better code/rules. More polish, etc. Avengers needs polish...but since they have to go in the code to do that...they might as well make some gameplay fixes that would make the game even better than it is.

1 month later
#26 9 years ago

I wonder how many of us have emails Stern requesting another code update?

Quoted from TFA

*no spinner rules
*pops rules are sorely lacking...and when you're actually in the "pops mode" trying to collect Captain America the lights aren't even active.

#27 9 years ago
Quoted from Squizz:

I wonder how many of us have emails Stern requesting another code update?
Quoted from TFA
*no spinner rules
*pops rules are sorely lacking...and when you're actually in the "pops mode" trying to collect Captain America the lights aren't even active.

Stern should make right and update the code. As is it is incomplete. You cannot argue that point as the wizard mode lacks DOTS.

#28 9 years ago

Anyone know how I can tell how far I am in collecting and finishing each Avenger? I can't seem to figure it out from the inserts and nothing appears on the status screen that I can see.

#29 9 years ago

Code seems to be just fine. I have more issues with the mechanics and PF "features" working as they should, or not.

#30 9 years ago
Quoted from Schwaggs:

Anyone know how I can tell how far I am in collecting and finishing each Avenger? I can't seem to figure it out from the inserts and nothing appears on the status screen that I can see.

The "circle of character inserts" in front of the flippers tells you. If I remember correctly, flashing means you assembled (finished their mode) and solid means you completed the Vs. mode.

Also, if the character's backboard flasher is pulsing, that means that mode is currently running.

#31 9 years ago

I just hate that you cant get back to the mini wizard mode if you drain.

#32 9 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

The "circle of character inserts" in front of the flippers tells you. If I remember correctly, flashing means you assembled (finished their mode) and solid means you completed the Vs. mode.
Also, if the character's backboard flasher is pulsing, that means that mode is currently running.

Right, I get the circles of characters flashing means collected and solidly lit means completed.

What I was referring to is how can I tell many more shots I have to collect or complete each?

#33 9 years ago
Quoted from zucot:

I just hate that you cant get back to the mini wizard mode if you drain.

Me too! I love the music of that mode. There should be some set of shots to get back there.

#34 9 years ago
Quoted from Schwaggs:

Right, I get the circles of characters flashing means collected and solidly lit means completed.
What I was referring to is how can I tell many more shots I have to collect or complete each?

You have to win the versus mode for each Avenger to complete them....a total of around 10 mixed shots for each...and there's a countdown...so check the DMD when in a Versus mode...once you won a few, could know which shot closes them out.

Freaking great game. I had an epic game last weekend...battle for earth again. There are some cool insert lighting effects and some wicked sound fx, just no dots except jackpot scores.

#35 9 years ago

You have to win the versus mode for each Avenger to complete them....a total of around 10 mixed shots for each...and there's a countdown...so check the DMD when in a Versus mode...once you won a few, could know which shot closes them out.

Thanks, I recall seeing the countdown number and bar on the VS dots.

How about a way to see how many shots are left to collect an Avenger other than making their shot and seeing "X remaining" on the dots?

How about a way to see how many shots are left to enter VS mode other than making their shot and seeing "X remaining" on the dots?

How about a way to see how many shots are left to complete an Avenger other than to enter their VS mode?

My point is the code should be updated to include this information on the status screens in addition to the limited value "generic" information on the status screens... unless someone can tell me where to find it.

#36 9 years ago

I would like to see settings in the menu to select how many shots it takes to complete the VS modes. Then you could shorten the ball save times for those modes and they would be more fun and within reach for more people to be capable of completing some of them.

#37 9 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

I would like to see settings in the menu to select how many shots it takes to complete the VS modes. Then you could shorten the ball save times for those modes and they would be more fun and within reach for more people to be capable of completing some of them.

Thats a good one too! That way I could reduce the number of shots to collect and complete BW so my wife could get to AOTHC. Even on Easy, she and I ALLWAYS end up collecting BW and IM last.

This part of the code could use balancing...

#38 9 years ago

I'm very happy with my Avengers LE and think the code is just fine. It's a great game! Way underrated.

#39 9 years ago

It is absurd how badly this game, specifically the Pro, is underrated on this site.

#40 9 years ago

Ok, I emailed Stern again regarding another Code update for AVLE
Maybe each of us should contact them again to keep it fresh in there minds to do us an update!

Keep the faith

#41 9 years ago
Quoted from Squizz:

Ok, I emailed Stern again regarding another Code update for AVLE
Maybe each of us should contact them again to keep it fresh in there minds to do us an update!
Keep the faith

I don't feel the game really needs an update. Not worth bugging stern.

#42 9 years ago

Maybe with the LE's, we need a this clear perspex sheet under the raising BW ramp!
This was when the ramp is raised, we can still cross the bridge and collect towards BW?
Thoughts

Because ATM when the bridge is raised, we get nothing from the spinner (dead shot)

#43 9 years ago

I don't think a clear bridge will work... I think the ball comes off the first part of the ramp at a bit of an angle. However, I have "jumped the gap" a couple times in the 100s of games I have played...

Maybe a certain number of BW spinner rotations could count as a BW shot? Similar to the Tessaract where a number of spins are required to start and collect certain things...

1 week later
#44 9 years ago

Come on Stern, Give us a bone please!

#45 9 years ago

Would love to just see the Thor light and more importantly, music / speech adjustments fixed!

#46 9 years ago
Quoted from Squizz:

Maybe with the LE's, we need a this clear perspex sheet under the raising BW ramp!
This was when the ramp is raised, we can still cross the bridge and collect towards BW?
Thoughts

Squizz said, Because ATM when the bridge is raised, we get nothing from the spinner (dead shot)

I recently just disabled the bridge function to see how I liked the change in game flow during Hulk Multi ball ( which i think is a great multi ball). I now get the credit for BW shots during Hulk Multi ball and do not miss the bridge going up at all. A secondary benefit is that the few times I do get a Hulk arm ball hang up ( I did tweek the hulk switch to be as sensitive as possible), the ball clear software seems to start faster so the delay in play is a lot less.

One software tweek I would recommend for consideration is that Hulks arms are in an "up" position versus the current "down" position when hulk is not activated during game play. That would allow the balls to flow freely underneath his arms when Hulk is not triggered. When Hulk is triggered the arms could drop down and strike the balls pretty quick so that you do not lose that particular function of the toy. Once the arm movement is complete , the arms could return to the up position.

#47 9 years ago
Quoted from sulli10:

I recently just disabled the bridge function to see how I liked the change in game flow during Hulk Multi ball ( which i think is a great multi ball). I now get the credit for BW shots during Hulk Multi ball now and do not miss the bridge going up at all. A secondary benefit is that the few times I do get a Hulk arm ball hang up ( I did tweek the hulk switch to be as sensitive as possible), the ball clear software seems to start faster so the delay in play is a lot less.
One software tweek I would recommend for consideration is that Hulks arms are in an "up" position versus the current "down" position when hulk is not activated during game play. That would allow the balls to flow freely underneath his arms when Hulk is not triggered. When Hulk is triggered the arms could drop down and strike the balls pretty quick so that you do not lose that particular function of the toy. Once the arm movement is complete , the arms could return to the up position.

You'd burn the coil.

I like the idea of more random arm lifting maybe when the switch is hit.

#48 9 years ago
Quoted from hank527:

You'd burn the coil.

Good point. So modify the mechanical aspect to spring load the arms so that they are "up" de energized . Maybe a possible mod.

#49 9 years ago
Quoted from sulli10:

Good point. So modify the mechanical aspect to spring load the arms so that they are "up" de energized . Maybe a possible mod.

If you really need to, you can adjust the bracket that holds Hulk's arms so that his down position is not as low...however, if you tweak the plate in front of him to be uber sensitive, you'll rarely get hangups.

#50 9 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

f you really need to, you can adjust the bracket that holds Hulk's arms so that his down position is not as low...however, if you tweak the plate in front of him to be uber sensitive, you'll rarely get hangups.

I have gotten the plate super sensitive with very few stuck balls. raising the arm would eliminate altogether. I thought about adjusting the plates but did not want to do that as I did not want to mess up the arm / ball impact during multi ball. Just a thought

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 255.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Haus

$ 27.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 135.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Lighting - Backbox
PinWoofer

$ 29.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 26.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

4,950 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
White Oak, PA
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

€ 48.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Kami's Pinball Parts

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 64.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 76.00
Lighting - Backbox
Arcade Upkeep

5,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Allentown, PA
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 62 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/avengers-code and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.