(Topic ID: 34402)

Avengers Assemble! Gomez smash! Excelsior!

By MrMoose

11 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“At Christmas, 2013, Avengers LE's will:”

• Rank among the top 25, NIB unavailable, HUO selling for over $8,000 10 votes
    24%
  • Be respected, NIB selling for over $8k, HUO available for $7k - $8k 6 votes
    15%
  • Hanging in there, NIB selling for $6 - $8k, HUO at $5k - $7k 13 votes
    32%
  • Nearly forgotten, NIB selling for $5k - $6k, HUO available for $4k - $5k 7 votes
    17%
  • Despised, NIB available for $5k or less, HUO under $4k 5 votes
    12%

(41 votes)

#1 11 years ago

It’s early days, of course, but my Avengers LE (Hulk) arrived yesterday and as a regular reader of Pinside I was prepared to be greatly disappointed. I respect the leaders of this forum, and with so many pinsiders complaining about a lack of information, challenges with X-Men, no videos, artwork, the color green, and some villain named “Gomez,” that I thought for sure that I had purchased a lime (as opposed to a lemon).

I’m attaching a predictive poll to this thread because I don’t believe that the Pinside Forum has done this game any favors out of the chutes, and because I think that in about a year people are going to rank this game in the pinball pantheon and wish that they had seen it coming.

After watching my wife play the first game, my jaw hit the floor. She doesn’t much care for pinball, but she was visibly delighted with the light show, the sound, and the open play field. This game does something special for the occasional player.

I took my turn expecting something similar to my X-men experience; a fun, yet incomplete game with great potential. What I found was a game that delivers a power-punch that, in a different way, rivals my initial AC/DC Back in Black experience. This is the complete package. The concerns about Stern shipping unfinished product and not caring about quality simply don’t stand up to the facts delivered this time around.

This time; expect terrific sound. A dancing light show. Shots that are not just challenging, but fun. And a current rule set that will keep advanced players intrigued for the foreseeable future, while the casual player enjoys a great ride.

With this game, this George Gomez cat flexes his creative muscles, and he has proven to me that he’s a genius. In any event, he’s certain to get the latest laugh relative to his silly detractors.

If you were on the fence about an Avengers LE, I’d recommend buying it now. Like; today. They’ll be gone soon enough, and it’s going to be difficult to secure them from owners who will see them, play them, and realize that they own a true gem.

And if you’re buying, give JJ at Game Exchange a shot at your business. He spent a good part of his Christmas trying to track games in shipment, and the minute that they hit his dock they were on their way. The guy will stop at absolutely nothing to please his customers. I saw him today and he looked tired, but I could tell that he was pleased with making the holidays fun for his customers.

So, if you’re interested vote on the poll, and we’ll see where things stand next Christmas.

#2 11 years ago

The only complaints I've read about this game were from Gerry who didn't even have his game yet. Otherwise everyone seems thrilled. Not sure what pinside forum you're reading but it seems to be a different one then I'm reading.

#3 11 years ago

Before software updates I think Avengers is awesome the way it's now. With updates it could become a top pin over time. The playfield layout doesn't remind of any other pin. I like how everything on the playfield is low profile. The ramps don't stand out. You really don't notice them. You can see the playfield front to back with not much blocking anything. The Captian American orbit is probably the fastest orbit i have ever experienced! It's a pin that I don't think a lot of people will master it takes a good amount of shots to collect each Avenger. That's just a few highlights of what I like on the pin. It's not a perfect pin but a very good one. I played in a Hulk LE and it looks amazing!!

#4 11 years ago

My Hulk has been on location since Saturday. I updated to 1.2 but can't comment on improvements since I only played a few games before the update. This pin is totally addictive. Shots are tight and super challenging. Game time is averaging four and half minutes. Captain America orbit is super fast. Hawkeye ramp is very long and a challenge to hit. If you can turn it into a Black Widow combo it's a flow monster. Hulk is a great toy and six ball multiball seems to last forever because a couple balls always straggle up top or in the pop bumpers. I haven't come close to collecting all the characters even though it's a long player. The only small objection I have is that you can't see the "O" and "K" inner lane rollover letters that are obstructed by the plastics above them. I've been busy trying to collect characters so I haven't concentrated on spelling LOKI yet anyway. It would have been nice if they used the movie voices but it doesn't take away from the game at all. This game will easily join Spiderman as a "gotta have" title in time. I'm just glad I was lucky enough to grab a Hulk. Can't wait to see what the Premium will look like. Gomez definately raised his rep a big notch with this one.

#5 11 years ago

Agree with Gomez hitting a home run on this one......

#6 11 years ago

its fantastic!

#8 11 years ago

The only negative I have thought was valid was not being able to see drop targets. Anything else has been normal chaff.

#9 11 years ago

it's a winner for sure theme play and visuals !

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 135.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn
Decorations

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/avengers-assemble-gomez-smash-excelsior-1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.