11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0316.jpg
There are 73 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 11 years ago

The first one. Intermittently shooting the hawkeye ramp, the ball comes across the playfield and into the left inlane. Well sometimes the ball is moving so fast it jumps over the hole on the left ramp and into the left outlane. A fine reward for making a shot. Anyone else have this and investigate it? Seems raising the edge of the plastic on the upper level of that hole may solve it.

Second, shoot the widow ramp and ball is diverted into hulk hole only to bounce out. probably happens 20%. Anyone else? Pitch is 6.5-7.0.

Last one. With the outlanes at default, game is ridiculously frustrating. Left outlane specifically is non stop. Many first balls under 1 mil. I usually just reset. With outlanes moved in, game is ridiculously easy. First game after moving them in I scored over 200 mil and almost beat the whole game. Anyone else found this? I'd like something in between.

And with all this avengers is still a great game. Please don't hijack this with a bunch of "stern should do better for $7000" bs. You same people that contantly yammer this crap have already been heard over and over and over in every other thread lol.

#3 11 years ago

Everything is going to be just fine. Avengers is great. Your money is safe, and you made a wise decision.

Is this a satisfactory reply, based on your dictated criteria?

I think it's the only possible one.

#4 11 years ago

I agree on the left outlane, I kept thinking my game wasn't fully level as the proportion on the left was 10 to 1, just seems to be a death trap with posts not put down. I have seen the widow ramp fall out of the hole only a few times I would say 2-5% for me. Have not seen that Hawkeye ramp happen at all that I can remember but I am only 50 games in or so.

Couple things I can't figure out or maybe they are just this way. The iron man shot/loop seems to get caught up 8 out of 10 times, seems like it takes a perfect shot to get it up there. Also when I have Captain America active half the time it seems to loop back around instead of going in the pop bumpers as I believe it is supposed to do every time when active?

Overall loving the game though, seems like a great game with tons of challenges, so far a winner in my book.

#5 11 years ago

The bounc outs Are a pain and I have Tryed to adj and mod
The hole and still get about 20 percent pop out

#6 11 years ago

Yea they are a pain, I have noticed that it only seems to bounce out when the ball is going fast, if it is slow then it almost always hits the hole.

#7 11 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

The first one. Intermittently shooting the hawkeye ramp, the ball comes across the playfield and into the left inlane. Well sometimes the ball is moving so fast it jumps over the hole on the left ramp and into the left outlane. A fine reward for making a shot. Anyone else have this and investigate it? Seems raising the edge of the plastic on the upper level of that hole may solve it.

I have never had this happen.

Quoted from markmon:

Second, shoot the widow ramp and ball is diverted into hulk hole only to bounce out. probably happens 20%. Anyone else? Pitch is 6.5-7.0.

This happens to me also about 20%. I haven't had time to really look into it yet, but I am missing a screw on plastic to the left of the ramp.

Quoted from markmon:With outlanes moved in, game is ridiculously easy.

I only moved my left outlane in and it's still very difficult, I would not say it becomes easy at all.

#8 11 years ago

This pin isn't any better than X-Men. There, I said it.

#9 11 years ago

I played about 10-20 games and watched a ton of games this weekend and didn't see these issues. Only issues I saw were occasional air balls (flippers are really strong, and the ball would get stuck in the black widow ramp (in the seam where the metal hulk ramp rises). Waiting for the ball search would "fix" it.

Maybe you got a lemon. Fortunately, I think you are pretty pin savvy, so I'm sure you'll get everything figured out. If not, Stern's support is great. btw...Stern should do better for 7k...no bs

#10 11 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

The first one. Intermittently shooting the hawkeye ramp, the ball comes across the playfield and into the left inlane. Well sometimes the ball is moving so fast it jumps over the hole on the left ramp and into the left outlane.

Have had this happen once, not really an issue for me.

Quoted from markmon:

This happens more than 20% for me. I am at more like 50% of the time it bounces out.

Quoted from markmon:

With outlanes moved in, game is ridiculously easy.

Don't find this at all. Still very challenging and frustrating when moved in. I get more SDTM drains than anything else.

#11 11 years ago

Last one. With the outlanes at default, game is ridiculously frustrating. Left outlane specifically is non stop. Many first balls under 1 mil. I usually just reset. With outlanes moved in, game is ridiculously easy. First game after moving them in I scored over 200 mil and almost beat the whole game. Anyone else found this? I'd like something in between.
And with all this Avengers is still a great game. Please don't hijack this with a bunch of "stern should do better for $7000" bs. You same people that contantly yammer this crap have already been heard over and over and over in every other thread lol.

For the bounce-outs in the saucer try this:

IMG_0316.jpgIMG_0316.jpg

Note the picture is taken at an angle so you can see the foam better. I put some drop dead foam protruding into the drop area just slightly to nudge the ball to the center of the saucer and to slow the ball. It will take a little trial and error, but I think mine has nearly eliminated bounce outs but have not put a ton of games on it yet.
Similarly, you could also try a little bit of the sticky back soft side of velcro around the bottom edge to slow the ball and lean it away from the bottom of the saucer.

I have not had any of the problems with the ball jumping over the hole on the inlane. That must be a pitch issue or a plastic mounting issue. There is a blue snubber mounted there. Make sure that snubber is positioned right and mounted firmly.

For the outlanes, if you want the game easier than default but harder than the narrowed outlane position, try a different post with the smallest rubber size:

http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=320

#12 11 years ago

One other note, the saucer is definitely pitch sensitive by design (i.e. gravity). Lower the pitch to between 6 and 6.5 degrees.

#13 11 years ago
Quoted from cscmtp:

Sorry this pin is much better then xmen and one of sterns best yet; not to mention very innovative too

#14 11 years ago
Quoted from mpatricksp:

Yea they are a pain, I have noticed that it only seems to bounce out when the ball is going fast, if it is slow then it almost always hits the hole.

This is my experience as well. But when you have Hulk ready to go and Xtra ball is looking @ you and it bounces out it sucks.

#15 11 years ago
Quoted from mummite:

This is my experience as well. But when you have Hulk ready to go and Xtra ball is looking @ you and it bounces out it sucks.

I was having bounce outs with slow and fast rolling shots. My tweak shown above seems to work for all speeds. I especially think it would help you if you are having problems with fast shots only, because the material slows the ball down just enough to emulate a slow shot when it drops to the saucer.

#16 11 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

I was having bounce outs with slow and fast rolling shots. My tweak above seems to work for all speeds. I especially think it would help you if you are having problems with fast shots only, because the material slows the ball down just enough to emulate a slow shot when it drops to the saucer.

I'll have to give it a shot and see if it helps.

Does anyone else have an issue with Hulks fist getting caught on the ramp when it goes up. I had a few where the ramp never made it to the top and just fell back down.

#17 11 years ago

Here is the link to purchase Drop Dead foam for those that don't have it already:
http://www.pinbits.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=17&products_id=131

IMO the foam is something all pinheads should have in their supplies. It is helpful in many games that have saucers or areas where a ball bounces out of a shot location. You just need some scissors and cut it to the size and shape you want and peel of the sticky back covering.

#18 11 years ago

Check out the "Avengers LE fix thread" and see what rockrand did for bounce outs. His solution was to dremel the hole so that the ball drops a little earlier.

#19 11 years ago

We had the ball bounce out issue a couple of times at a friends house this weekend. It seemed to be mostly the fast shots that would bounce out. I was wondering if drop dead foam would help but didn't know where a good place to put it would be.

It sounds like the pic above might do the trick.

#20 11 years ago
Quoted from bigehrl:

Everything is going to be just fine. Avengers is great. Your money is safe, and you made a wise decision.

No because (as usual) your post contributed nothing useful. You are the frank furter of pinside.

#21 11 years ago

Thank you dcfan. I'll try your suggestions they make sense.

#22 11 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

Here is the link to purchase Drop Dead foam

Sweet! just ordered some ill try this out good suggestion.

#23 11 years ago

Really like the game, but hard to ignore some of the obvious design issues that have been stated on this forum over and over. The one that really chaps my a*s is the plunger. Seems like a chore getting the ball to the back. Also after reading a thread last night and looking at my game this morning it seems like I will need to buy some washers to raise the black widow ramp.

The comment earlier about closing the outlanes and scoring nearly 200 million and almost beating the entire game on the first game. This makes me believe that A) you had a really great game out of the shoot, or B) my pinball skills aren't nearly up to par as I haven't gotten close to that high of score. Most likely B).

#24 11 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

No because (as usual) your post contributed nothing useful. You are the frank furter of pinside.

Flattery will get you everywhere w me

#25 11 years ago
Quoted from Legacy:

Really like the game, but hard to ignore some of the obvious design issues that have been stated on this forum over and over. The one that really chaps my a*s is the plunger. Seems like a chore getting the ball to the back.

Just take off the silver washer that is near the shooter handle and add a white shooter tip in place of the black and it should be good. Mine is working well and all I did was add the white shooter tip and adjust the location of the shooter housing to be more centered with the shooter lane.

#26 11 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

Just take off the silver washer that is near the shooter handle and add a white shooter tip in place of the black and it should be good. Mine is working well and all I did was add the white shooter tip and adjust the location of the shooter housing to be more centered with the shooter lane.

Thank you for the suggestion. On a side note, the fact that some of our forum members can keep up with these big collections impresses the hell out of me. I have 9 machines now and it seems like there is always something. Even with these new in box games today I find myself spending a lot of time with the glass off screwing around with stuff and installing mods. My LOTR magnet just quit working on me last week, still haven't gotten around to fixing it because I am still messing around with X-men and trying to keep up with all the Avenger suggestions/improvements.

#27 11 years ago
Quoted from Legacy:

Thank you for the suggestion. On a side note, the fact that some of our forum members can keep up with these big collections impresses the hell out of me. I have 9 machines now and it seems like there is always something. Even with these new in box games today I find myself spending a lot of time with the glass off screwing around with stuff and installing mods. My LOTR magnet just quit working on me last week, still haven't gotten around to fixing it because I am still messing around with X-men and trying to keep up with all the Avenger suggestions/improvements.

The common LoTR magnet failure is due to the fuse. Default magnet is 3A, I believe the fix is to put a 4 or 5A fuse in. I'm going off memory so my numbers may be off.

#28 11 years ago
Quoted from Legacy:

Thank you for the suggestion. On a side note, the fact that some of our forum members can keep up with these big collections impresses the hell out of me. I have 9 machines now and it seems like there is always something. Even with these new in box games today I find myself spending a lot of time with the glass off screwing around with stuff and installing mods. My LOTR magnet just quit working on me last week, still haven't gotten around to fixing it because I am still messing around with X-men and trying to keep up with all the Avenger suggestions.

I know what you mean. I only have 3 games so I have time to get each one exactly the way I want it. NIB or used, everybody will find things they want to make work a certain way when they get a pin.

#29 11 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

The common LoTR magnet failure is due to the fuse. Default magnet is 3A, I believe the fix is to put a 4 or 5A fuse in. I'm going off memory so my numbers may be off.

Actually the default LOTR magnet fuse is 4 Amp slo-blo and many people put 5A slo-blo to replace it.
I had the factory 4 amp go out within two weeks and replaced it with another 4 amp from radio shack. I am convinced the Stern fuses were defective because I as well as many others have not had any more problems with the 4 amp after the first one failed.

#30 11 years ago
Quoted from musketd:

Sorry this pin is much better then xmen and one of sterns best yet; not to mention very innovative too

absolutely! by a a mile!!

#31 11 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

Actually the default LOTR magnet fuse is 4 Amp slo-blo and many people put 5A slo-blo to replace it.
I had the factory 4 amp go out within two weeks and replaced it with another 4 amp from radio shack. I am convinced the Stern fuses were defective because I as well as many others have not had any more problems with the 4 amp after the first one failed.

Thanks for the clarification. Knew it was something like that

#32 11 years ago
Quoted from cscmtp:

Yeah, 'better' is a funny way to say it when comparing pins. I'll say this. I played Avengers for the first time on Saturday at a party, and while I did enjoy it a lot, I had a WHOLE NEW appreciation for XM when I got back home and fired it up.

XM's fast, furious, combo shooting was very refreshing after playing Avengers, which was a lot of bashing in the entire middle of the playfield (Hulk/targets/Tesseract) and hoping you could get it to stick in that saucer, and waiting on a lot of ball hangups to get freed up from the Hulk arms and behind the targets. A lot of awesome shots too, like the fast Cap loop and the Black Widow ramp, but yeah the saucer bounce-out from the BW ramp was maddening when you'd have Hulk/EB lit up.

It's just a very different game from XM, with MUCH longer ball times and a some lagging to gameplay with the hangups and long Hawkeye shot. Basically just bash the center of the playfield with two smooth shots on either side. The absolute best shot in Avengers is the Hulk SJP, bashing him so he raises his arms for a sec so you can hit the SJP target. Brilliant. There are definitely some pros and cons with the game, though.

I think Avengers and XM would actually compliment each other well in a collection. But assuming the code is fixed on XM, it's the layout I much prefer.

#33 11 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

adjust the location of the shooter housing to be more centered with the shooter lane.

I took the assembly off but not clear on how to adjust. Tried pulling the black tip off and it started to rip. Doh!

Quoted from DCFAN:On a side note, the fact that some of our forum members can keep up with these big collections impresses the hell out of me

I have just had this realization as I am piling on games. I am at a max to play and keep up and mod. Probably about to go one down to what for me is a perfect amount an mix. When I play I tend to bounce between three tables.

#34 11 years ago
Quoted from DCfoodfreak:

I took the assembly off but not clear on how to adjust. Tried pulling the black tip off and it started to rip. Doh!

I have just had this realization as I am piling on games. I am at a max to play and keep up and mod. Probably about to go one down to what for me is a perfect amount an mix. When I play I tend to bounce between three tables.

For removing the rubber tip, I usually find that pulling on it while pushing the inner edge with a flathead screwdriver helps to get it off without damaging it.

To avoid downtime, it is a good idea to have spare rubber parts of the various sizes on hand in case they break.

#35 11 years ago

Another thing I did was double up the 2.5 inch rubber ring that is to the right of Hulk. I had a couple of times that Hulk pushed the ball behind the rubber ring, so having two rings with one on top of the other should prevent that.

It is essentially the same thing Stern did behind the spinning disc in TRON but a different rubber size.

#36 11 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

And with all this Avengers is still a great game. Please don't hijack this with a bunch of "stern should do better for $7000" bs. You same people that contantly yammer this crap have already been heard over and over and over in every other thread lol.

I posted what I did for the Hawkeye ramp and I haven't had one bounce out since and had quite a few prior. It's in the fix thread. All I did was make a small bumper that sits under the 2 plastic spacers that rest on the wood rail. I used hot glue and put and 1/8 dab under the area where the spacers sits on the wood rail. It also protects from scratches caused by the spacer. Took all of about 60 seconds and the slight shim was enough to completely eliminate the bounce outs at this spot.

Have the same issue with bounce outs at the BW ramp. Fast shots come out of the saucer. Haven't solved it yet.

#37 11 years ago
Quoted from DCfoodfreak:

On the inside of the cabinet, the shooter assembly has 3x Phillips screws and 2x bolt head screws at the bottom.

Remove the 2x bolt head screws and put to one side.

Loosen the 3x Phillips head screws a few turns (3-4) each. The whole shooter assembly should move around a little.

Now, lower the playfield.

Move around the assembly, you want the shooter to not touch the metal auto fire assembly. Ideally the shooter tip should be dead centre. But as long as it doesn't touch the metal auto fire assembly (mine was) then the friction should be gone and you should have no problems.

Tighten up the 3 screws so they are in the right place. Check again, maybe have a few games.

When you are happy, replace the 2x bolt head screws. They will be in a different place so you will need to screw them into fresh wood.

rd.

#38 11 years ago

The only things that are annoying is the ball getting stuck in hulks left arm and the loki plastic. The loki plastic has taken to much abuse that after day 2 the bulbs came out of their sockets and the contacts inside the sockets have broke. When I get my replacement I'm going to have to relocated it. The ball not dropping perfectly in the hole from the widow ramp isn't a big deal. The outlanes are brutal but not as bad as some other recent titles.

#39 11 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

On the inside of the cabinet, the shooter assembly has 3x Phillips screws and 2x bolt head screws at the bottom.
Remove the 2x bolt head screws and put to one side.
Loosen the 3x Phillips head screws a few turns (3-4) each. The whole shooter assembly should move around a little.
Now, lower the playfield.
Move around the assembly, you want the shooter to not touch the metal auto fire assembly. Ideally the shooter tip should be dead centre. But as long as it doesn't touch the metal auto fire assembly (mine was) then the friction should be gone and you should have no problems.
Tighten up the 3 screws so they are in the right place. Check again, maybe have a few games.
When you are happy, replace the 2x bolt head screws. They will be in a different place so you will need to screw them into fresh wood.

rd.

Both of my NIB Sterns needed shooter adjusting. LOTR I was able to fix this way, Xmen was so far off I had to leave out the wood screws and only use the machine bolts that pinch the housing to the cabinet for it to be centered. Figured I'd fill the holes and put them back in someday but it hasn't been a problem yet.

#40 11 years ago

The actual shooter is too stiff (snicker). When it pulls through it feels like its scraping. against something in the shaft.

#41 11 years ago
Quoted from DCfoodfreak:

The actual shooter is too stiff (snicker). When it pulls through it feels like its scraping. against something in the shaft.

Shaft! Snicker snicker!

Try applying a little 3-in-1 oil on the shaft (fnar fnar) and moving it in and out a few times.

Might be a bit dry in there .... Might need lubing up (Fnar fnar)

rd.

#42 11 years ago
Quoted from DCfoodfreak:

My Tron LE does that too and its driving me nuts. I already took the shaft out and polished it by hand, but it feels like there is a "burr" in there somewhere. Gonna work on it more this weekend

#43 11 years ago
Quoted from bigehrl:

Hilarious!

#44 11 years ago

Does anyone else's CA and IM loop shots hit the slingers instead of returning to the flipper? Mine returned to the flipper when I first unboxed; now it's hitting the slingers. I think it's a pitch issue but I tried steeper and less steep.

#45 11 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

Does anyone else's CA and IM loop shots hit the slingers instead of returning to the flipper? Mine returned to the flipper when I first unboxed; now it's hitting the slingers. I think it's a pitch issue but I tried steeper and less steep.

thats what they do, gotta be ready for it..

#46 11 years ago
Quoted from Gerry:

thats what they do, gotta be ready for it..

Think I got it. My side to side was a hair off; think it's my room/carpet. Got pitch at 6.8 and side to side seems to be straight(er) now. Loop shots return to the flipper most the time. Also depends on the strength of shot but at least most shots go back to the flipper for a nice combo

#47 11 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

Think I got it. My side to side was a hair off; think it's my room/carpet. Got pitch at 6.8 and side to side seems to be straight(er) now. Loop shots return to the flipper most the time. Also depends on the strength of shot but at least most shots go back to the flipper for a nice combo

Your right..strength of the shot matters for sure...

sometimes its clean, and sometimes it grazes the post/sling...

Your is like everyone elses

#48 11 years ago
Quoted from Gerry:

Your right..strength of the shot matters for sure...
sometimes its clean, and sometimes it grazes the post/sling...
Your is like everyone elses

Good to know. Thanks

4 weeks later
#49 11 years ago

Help needed. On my Avengers Pro the auto plunge (auto launch arms) is having trouble getting the ball to the top of the ramp. It will make it all the way maybe 40% of the time. The rest of the time it barely makes it to the short shot trough. I have noticed that the resting ball only touches the right fork (barely off the left fork). I have looked under the playfield and everything seems to be connected and attached properly. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

#50 11 years ago

What annoys me the most about avengers is that I don't own one ;(

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 100.00
Playfield - Other
JuanSolo's modshop

$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 135.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

5,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Allentown, PA
$ 27.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 6.00
Playfield - Protection
Apron Envy

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 29.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 64.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 255.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Haus

$ 16.00
Boards
Lermods

$ 26.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

€ 48.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Kami's Pinball Parts

4,950 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
White Oak, PA
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

There are 73 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/avengers-annoyances and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.