(Topic ID: 151584)

** UPDATED ** Avengers The Pin... Spares/Parts/Support?

By dtowndobe

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 41 posts
  • 16 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by HDBrian
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

15559537759441022569669 (resized).jpg
0C8A3378-D57F-4523-99A8-15E3B43D9D31 (resized).png
9E1BF60F-B999-474E-AEE9-F4016665B285 (resized).png
20190411_182212 (resized).jpg
AvengersELG_2_(resized).jpg
AvengersELG_1_(resized).jpg
#1 8 years ago

I have an opportunity to get an Avengers The Pin for what I consider a really good price... Potentially well under $1K. Just wondering if spares and support for these machines are still available? I know things like the flipper buttons are easily replaceable, but I know nothing about the rest of the machine. The current owner says it turns on and lights up, but doesn't feed a ball to the lane. Could be something simple and I'm willing to pick it up given the price is right.

I have an LOTR with a TH pending, figured a simple machine like this would be good for the kids.

But if there are "unobtanium" parts like boards and whatnot, I'll walk away... I do plan on contacting Stern later today to get their take. Figured I'd start here first.

Thanks!

#2 8 years ago

All the mechs are standard Stern commercial grade parts, the MPU appears to be a Spike board like all the newer games.

If you can get it for under $1500, I'd take it.

#3 8 years ago

Thanks Vid. It's already priced under $1K ($850), but I think I can get it for less.

#5 8 years ago

Well, I got it for less! $650 to be exact. Going to pick it up this weekend.

Hopefully an easy fix - if I can get it working for less than $200, I'll be extremely happy!

Will try to document the process... 'cause I know pics or it didn't happen!!!

#6 8 years ago

That is pretty cool. I would have bought one for that for sure at that price for my daughter

#7 8 years ago

Might be just a broke wire on the coil that puts the ball in the lane.

#8 8 years ago

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a simple fix no doubt...

#9 8 years ago

Does the pin have led spotlights on the slings... if so those pop out all the time. If one made it down into the trough it could jam that crap up and the game probably can't find all the balls.

Hope it's something simple.

#10 8 years ago

Dunno - I'll have a solid look at it this weekend.

#11 8 years ago

The Spike MPU is probably $600 all by itself.

Nice grab!

#12 8 years ago

I'd sure buy a The Pin for $650. Seems like a great deal.

#13 8 years ago

You all are jinxing me! Watch - the thing will be completely non-repairable!!!

Bastards!

#14 8 years ago
Quoted from dtowndobe:

Watch - the thing will be completely non-repairable!!!

No such thing.

#15 8 years ago
Quoted from dtowndobe:

You all are jinxing me! Watch - the thing will be completely non-repairable!!!
Bastards!

We will all be lining up to buy it from you for $650. You won't lose out at all.

Pete

#16 8 years ago

Great deal. I'd be all over it at that price.

#17 8 years ago

Thanks!

Best thing of all - I actually got buy-in from the Mrs BEFORE I made the offer!!! Have to pat myself on the back for that one...

#18 8 years ago

Alright, picked up The Pin about 4 hours ago and have spent some time looking around. You can tell it's been futzed with before - the bottom cover is missing, quite a few scratches/dings/dents, but overall in good shape and I'll be a happy camper if I can get it working. So here's what I've found so far:

1) One of the flat 9-pin ribbon cables is damaged. It is the cable that goes from the main light board (?) to the Hawkeye light board. Need to find/get a new one.
2) Couple of posts/T-nuts were loose or missing. Local ACE had 6-32 T-nuts so everything is tight now.
3) Two GI lights were out - just loose bulbs.
4) Right flipper button was jammed. Fixed that easily.
5) Machine boots up, lights up, has the initial start up sound, does the ball search by dropping the ramp post down about 5 times, then prompts the player to press start. All appears in order up to this point.
6) Pressing start does absolutely nothing. No sound, no action, no nothing! You're supposed to be able to get into the service menu by holding both flipper buttons - that also does absolutely nothing. The flipper buttons appear dead as well.

Would sincerely appreciate any tips on a path forward, short of calling a tech to visit. I'll give Stern a call next week to see about parts/part numbers.

I remember seeing issues with node boards when SPIKE first came out - could this be the potential issue?

Thanks in advance - I'll get pics up sooner or later!

Jim

#19 8 years ago

Spoke to Chas at Stern yesterday and got some part numbers:

10-pin ribbon cable, that goes from the node board to the insert LED light boards
604-5002-10-12 (12")
604-5002-10-8 (8")
604-5002-10-6 (6")

Node board on bottom of playfield
520-5321-00

Chas suggested that perhaps my node board was bad given my set of issues. I had forgotten to mention that no other insert lights work besides a couple of inserts in front of the pop bumpers and the pop bumpers themselves. All the GI (which are LED bulbs, not boards) is working. He noted that the node board acts as the distribution hub from the MPU in the back box to all the satellite boards under the playfield.

I ordered the node board and two of the 12" cables. Hope this resolves the issues...!

#20 8 years ago

Take lots of pictures of the repair!

#21 8 years ago

+1 to Vid!

There is one local but at $2k new out of box. still a tad high, but not horrible....

#22 8 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Take lots of pictures of the repair!

I'll do my best!

4 weeks later
#23 8 years ago

Ok - so have a quick update on this...

- Main node board wasn't working. Got a new one from Stern and installed. Everything associated with that node board works now.
- Secondary node board also bad. Have one on order. Might have one or two of the led boards (fed from the secondary node) bad as well - have two on order.
- Had a couple of those tiny ribbon cables that were mangled. Ordered and replaced.
- Everything else seems to work / function properly. I'll know for sure once I get the secondary node replaced.
- Cabinet is a little rough, but it is fine by me for a player. Side decals have a scratch or two. No biggie. I might get new decals (if available) and I can always repaint the cabinet if needed. Doubt I will though. Glass is fine. No damage to the translight.
- Something happened with the back box at some point - as the support structure in the cabinet is repaired with glue and wood screws. Can't see this when the machine is put together, and it is structurally fine now.
- Playfield is in very good shape except for one spot where someone used a longer screw to attach a board beneath. Popped up the playfield pressboard in that spot. I've flattened it out mostly, a little more to do and you'll never notice. Won't affect play.
- A bunch of the board standoffs were missing - ordered and replace so now all the boards below are mounted properly, with the correct length screws.
- All the plastics and playfield toys are excellent. Hulk has one very small 3mm nick on his side, easily touched up. Tesseract cube in great condition.
- Displays and speaker all work as do the LED lights on the main CPU board in the back box - they're friggin' bright!
- Made a new comm cable. Originally, there's a short Cat5e cable (with 6 conductor RJ11 plugs - machine does NOT use standard 8 conductor Cat5e jacks!!!!) going from the CPU in the back box to a union on the surface of the cabinet under the back box. Then, another cable goes from that union to the main node board under the playfield. I made a home run cable and removed the union. It's easy enough to unplug it in the back box and remove the back box as you normally would.
- Once I get everything working again, I'll make a new bottom cover for beneath the machine. You can tell there was something covering the bottom of the cabinet, but that is gone on mine. I'll make something that is easily removable and helps attenuate the machine noise.

Have spoken to Stern Tech Support a couple of times - they do not have a ton of information for these pins. They are known internally as "Stern ELG" pins - the ELG stands for Entry Level Game. They do not call them "The Pin." They were able to give me shop scans of the lighting, switch, and coil playfield maps. Other than that, they have no additional documentation for these machines. Too bad!

All in all, I'm extremely happy with the purchase so far. Will be a fun game to flip on and not worry about!! I know - pics or it didn't happen....!

Jim

#24 8 years ago

How much have you had to spend in parts from Stern?

#25 8 years ago

I wish these would go back into production. They could make just a couple small tweaks to get them easier to service.

#26 8 years ago

Agreed.

I've heard that Automated might have some. Not sure how much they'd sell them for though... While I think it is a very neat game and I am sure the play will be cool and it uses typical pinball parts, I don't think I could ever pay what they originally listed for.

To be honest, working on it has been easy so far. But then again, it is not tucked into a corner or in a row of machines at the moment. I have full access to it. And it is pretty light so it's very easy to move as needed. My daughter and I can readily lay it down or stand it up and she's got no upper body strength!

One thing I really don't like is the power switch at the back of the cabinet. Makes it problematic if it's in a line of machines and not on a switched outlet... Might look to relocate that towards the front of the cabinet.

And it looks so funny next to my LOTR! It really is 3/4 or 2/3 pinball machine!!!

#27 8 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

I wish these would go back into production.

They still sell them at all those Billiards and Spa places, but not for the $2,499 Amazon/Costco price

#28 8 years ago
Quoted from dtowndobe:

Agreed.
I've heard that Automated might have some. Not sure how much they'd sell them for though... While I think it is a very neat game and I am sure the play will be cool and it uses typical pinball parts, I don't think I could ever pay what they originally listed for.
To be honest, working on it has been easy so far. But then again, it is not tucked into a corner or in a row of machines at the moment. I have full access to it. And it is pretty light so it's very easy to move as needed. My daughter and I can readily lay it down or stand it up and she's got no upper body strength!
One thing I really don't like is the power switch at the back of the cabinet. Makes it problematic if it's in a line of machines and not on a switched outlet... Might look to relocate that towards the front of the cabinet.
And it looks so funny next to my LOTR! It really is 3/4 or 2/3 pinball machine!!!

You did get a screaming deal on it. I think relocating the switch to the front on the bottom of the game could be easy/good mod.

Did you take pics of it apart?!

#29 8 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

Did you take pics of it apart?!

Really not much to take pics of - the playfield does not tip up nor come out (without great effort), so you're on your back, under the machine if you need to work on it.

And an update - it works!!!!! Replaced the other distribution board, which is fed from the main node, and everything finally works!!! Really fun game and glad I took the risk... Pics attached, it's sitting next to my full size LOTR.

AvengersELG_1_(resized).jpgAvengersELG_1_(resized).jpg

AvengersELG_2_(resized).jpgAvengersELG_2_(resized).jpg

#30 8 years ago
Quoted from dtowndobe:

And an update - it works!!!!!

Congrats!

2 years later
#31 5 years ago

It would be nice if somebody figured out a way to support the playfield and get it into a "servicing" position like a standard machine.

2 months later
#32 5 years ago

Stern *still* has not issued schematics, manuals, game code, etc for these machines.

4 weeks later
#33 5 years ago

My friend just picked one of these up. The coil that locks the ball on the right ramp wasn't working.....after looking the wire was off the coil, no big deal.. until I soldered it on and it blows fuse. The coil on the lock mech is the only coil with a diode.

Does anyone have the part number for the coil? I'm thinking someone put wrong coil on.

Any help much appreciated

Thank you

20190411_182212 (resized).jpg20190411_182212 (resized).jpg
#34 5 years ago

Disregard picture. Wrong pic

#35 5 years ago

Wrong coil

#36 5 years ago

It’s the coil that fires the ball lock post. Part 19 on the diagram.

0C8A3378-D57F-4523-99A8-15E3B43D9D31 (resized).png0C8A3378-D57F-4523-99A8-15E3B43D9D31 (resized).png9E1BF60F-B999-474E-AEE9-F4016665B285 (resized).png9E1BF60F-B999-474E-AEE9-F4016665B285 (resized).png
#37 5 years ago

Could it be the same coil (26-1200 or 090-5044-ND) as the lock post on Metallica?

Here are things to check:

Correct coil installed?

Diode on coil shorted?

Wires connected to the correct sides of the coil diode?

Driver transistor on node board shorted?

EDIT:

Found 500-6752-04 assembly is also used on Avenger LE (Down Post Assembly) and is in that manual. Shows the assembly in Avengers LE using 26-1200 (090-5044-ND) coil without diode.

#38 5 years ago

Does anyone know what transistor drives the ball lock on the right side of OF?

Thank you

15559537759441022569669 (resized).jpg15559537759441022569669 (resized).jpg
1 month later
#39 4 years ago

FYI, based on some recent repairs I've done, I want to brain dump this here so that it might help someone else:

The flipper coils have the part number for not having a diode (-ND). In spite of that, the original flipper coils have a diode installed. It's important when replacing a flipper coil you need to make sure a diode is installed. For most of the other coils, the diodes are installed on the node board. For whatever reasons, the diodes for the flippers are NOT installed on the node board and are installed on the coil. You will blow a transistor (MOSFET) if you don't have a diode.

The driver transistors used on the node board are IPD30N10S3L34ATMA1 (Infineon Technologies, MOSFET N Channel, 100V, 30A, TO-252-3 package). For those with a hot air rework soldering station, wrap the white connectors with foil to keep them from melting.

1 week later
#40 4 years ago

head2head's interview with Gary, supposedly we will get more "The Pin" games this is exciting. Looking forward to see what they'll do and what tech they'll use. I'm glad people are digging into these first gens. I really want to find one as it is a great size, like arcade 1up, to fit in a room that isn't my game room.

3 years later
#41 1 year ago

I have been working with Stern and have some good news! They sent me email last week stating "We currently have 520-5321-00 rev C on order with our vendor so it's on backorder for the next few weeks". I called to confirm and this is indeed the node board for the Transformer the Pin and Avengers the Pin ELG home pinball machines. These 2 games basically are pre Spike 1 and are sometimes called Spike 0 or Spike 0.5 because they are the precursor to Spike 1.

They said to I can go ahead and put an order in, so I ordered 2.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Cabinet - Decals
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 255.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Haus

$ 8.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 27.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 16.00
Boards
Lermods

$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/avenger-the-pin-sparespartssupport and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.