(Topic ID: 152357)

Avatar Pictures - Horizontally Stretched by ~15%?

By markp99

8 years ago

Topic Stats

• 10 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by wcbrandes
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

2_(resized).png
    #1 8 years ago

Hello,

I noticed this when I first uploaded an avatar image, the resulting forum avatar image appears to be horizontally stretched by 15%. In order to get a result that appears to retain the desired aspect ratio, I need to reduce the horizontal dimension to 85% of the original image.

In the example below, I squished the original image to 85% before I uploaded - in the forums, the resulting image appears reasonably correct. Is this the correct approach, or am I missing some other feature? Is 85% the right correction?

Thanks!

<squished to 85% width>
    2_(resized).png2_(resized).png

#2 8 years ago

Your image appears to be too tall and is being adjusted to fit the desired size. You need the pixel dimensions and can crop to that.

If you have photoshop expand your avatar, take a screenshot and use the dancing ants and the info pane to get the dimensions that way, or someone with the correct answer can reply

#3 8 years ago

Thx meta,

Does my avatar look too tall, or the image posted in-line above??

The in-line image I posted was intentionally squished by me by 15% (too tall) in order to produce a reasonable result in my Avatar image - at least in my browser. I did also crop the image a bit using the Pinsides avatar upload tool.

That's the point of this thread. Is this typical?

#4 8 years ago

Ok, so I did a test. I took a screenshot and measured the area of the avatar on the forum page. It came up as 89x69 pixels (width x height). So I took your original image and resized it to match that.

I tried to upload and Pinside expects a 480x480px image. So I resized the width of your original image and came up with a size of 480x565, 85 pixels too high.

I then cut off the lower 85 pixels to get a 480x480px image. I uploaded it temporarily as my Avatar. If this looks good to you, you can download the image from my webserver:

http://www.richmondpinball.com/Uploads/testavatar.jpg

I am uploading it now, give me 5-10 minutes.

#5 8 years ago

Thanks!

The image you linked does register as 480x480, though the scary ice due looks too skinny, much like the ~15% squished image I inserted above. Like mine, your resulting avatar looks to have expected/desired aspect ratio. Not too skinny.

Just an oddity I suppose.

#6 8 years ago

Maybe it is something the website is doing to scale the avatar image into that small space above your initials. It must not be keeping the original image's aspect ratio. If you click on your profile his head looks skinny (correct)but your avatar's representation in the box it is much wider looking.

Also I just noticed there are a few quality versions you can select from when uploading the image:

Originals size (no rescaling)
    High-res (max 4096 largest side)
    Med-res (max 2048 largest side)
    Low-res (max 1024 largest side)

I just tried original size but it doesn't appear to make much of a difference in the forum view.

I'm sure Robin can confirm if it's the method of inserting the image into that space. Now to change my avatar back

Edit: Whoops, I saved my old Avatar image from Pinside but it is too small to upload. Guess it's time for a change LOL

#7 8 years ago
    Quoted from metahugh:

Now to change my avatar back
    Edit: Whoops, I saved my old Avatar image from Pinside but it is too small to upload. Guess it's time for a change LOL

D'oh! Sorry

#8 8 years ago

No problemo! My avatar doesn't define me!

#9 8 years ago

It cuts my head off. I think I look better that way, but the pike is upset about it.

#10 8 years ago

Don't worry about it, I'm the guy to the right of Brando cut out of the avatar!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/avatar-pictures-horizontally-expanded-by-15 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.