Topic Stats

• 75 posts
  • 34 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by bub2010
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 7 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

DSC02583.jpg
DSC02574.jpg
DSC02544.jpg

There are 75 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 6 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

On the right side it looks like there is a ball floating there. Is that on a magnet? Is it a ball save, or stationary ball to hit?

Newton ball w/ a captive ball behind it. It's the "Eywa" shot.

EYWA'S HEARD YOOOOOUUUU!!!

On the left, under the Link pod is a ball lock that turns into a captive ball. Hit the shot, two "jail bars" pop up to trap the ball. Hit the ball twice to release it and start Link Multiball. Hit all the jackpots, then lock a ball in the lock - hit it w/ another ball within 10 seconds to get Super Jackpot. If you miss, the ball releases and you gotta hit all the Jackpots again. It's a pretty tough and satisfying super jackpot to achieve.

#52 6 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

I agree, they should be drops! Some of the things I think should be on EVERY pin....Drop Targets and Kick Out Hole. (just me)

You won't miss there being no kick out hole with the link captive ball lock. Wayyyy better imho. Just a super feel good shot at all times. Wish more games had something like this

#53 6 years ago
Quoted from shacklersrevenge:

You won't miss there being no kick out hole with the link captive ball lock. Wayyyy better imho. Just a super feel good shot at all times. Wish more games had something like this

Totally - not only does it have a sweet sound effect when hit, it's great when your ball stops and the captive ball knocks it back really fast.

#54 6 years ago

Getting one back in a month. Before this thread started they were a great value, not sure after sellers read all the love in this thread and bump price

#55 6 years ago

My wife liked this game when she played it at PHOF. The kids like the theme, wife liked the game. Picking one up was a no-brainer (I got a Pro). If you can get your spouse to find some fun in your expensive hobby, that's a good thing. I enjoy playing it except for the ball drains dropping out of the pop bumpers. Except for that, it's enjoyable. I find it somewhat more challenging than IM.

#56 6 years ago
Quoted from Tripin:

I enjoy playing it except for the ball drains dropping out of the pop bumpers.

Get the exit spring mod...not sure if anyone sells it, but I bet if you call Stern they'll send you one for your game.

#57 6 years ago
Quoted from billsfanmd:

Before this thread started they were a great value, not sure after sellers read all the love in this thread and bump price

Yeah...can't we start coming up with some bad stuff now??

#58 6 years ago

$3k by Christmes!!

#59 6 years ago

I have one bad...but it's not THAT bad because they're cheap enough to replace currently. I replaced mine because of a busted leg.

The AMP suit...it's made out of very weak plastic. The AMPS main purpose is to just drop down and raise up, but the legs break very easily at the hinge. Even stranger is how Stern just screwed in to the sides of it to secure it...it's interesting to say the least. Besides that, it does what it's suppose to and even with a cracked or broken leg, raises up and down because it's kind of like a scarecrow on a pole.
You can find them in the toy line through ebay, it's exactly the same ones Stern used. about $15-20 bucks for the whole unit. I bought the figure for mine

#60 6 years ago
Quoted from shacklersrevenge:

I have one bad...but it's not THAT bad because they're cheap enough to replace currently. I replaced mine because of a busted leg.
The AMP suit...it's made out of very weak plastic. The AMPS main purpose is to just drop down and raise up, but the legs break very easily at the hinge. Even stranger is how Stern just screwed in to the sides of it to secure it...it's interesting to say the least. Besides that, it does what it's suppose to and even with a cracked or broken leg, raises up and down because it's kind of like a scarecrow on a pole.
You can find them in the toy line through ebay, it's exactly the same ones Stern used. about $15-20 bucks for the whole unit. I bought the figure for mine

if you can post a link. Getting an LE and may look for a spare...

#62 6 years ago

Lots of good information. I have had a ton of Sterns and Tron is my favorite. The only thing that looks dangerous is that someone mentioned the "fan" layout.......Have MB & MM (Had LOTR) and if it is too fanny (is that a word?) that may make me think twice about getting one.

#63 6 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Get the exit spring mod...not sure if anyone sells it, but I bet if you call Stern they'll send you one for your game.

Thanks, that's already installed, but I still get a fair number of drains -- probably 1/3 - 1/4 of the balls coming through there. I've never really looked at it that closely. It's set up on the post that is at the same height as the Unobtanium target. There's another post a couple inches below that -- would the spring be more effective there possibly?

#64 6 years ago
Quoted from beefzap:

Lots of good information. I have had a ton of Sterns and Tron is my favorite. The only thing that looks dangerous is that someone mentioned the "fan" layout.......Have MB & MM (Had LOTR) and if it is too fanny (is that a word?) that may make me think twice about getting one.

Most games called "fan layout" have 2 ramps, if that helps. Also, the game encourages you NOT to spam the ramp too much - cuz you collect "The Bond" inlane inserts which then light a Hurry Up character shot which is only lit for a couple seconds...it feels really good to jam one of those shots and collect a character. Although if that character is Neytiri, you'll have to shoot the ramp again lol

#65 6 years ago
Quoted from Tripin:

Thanks, that's already installed, but I still get a fair number of drains -- probably 1/3 - 1/4 of the balls coming through there. I've never really looked at it that closely. It's set up on the post that is at the same height as the Unobtanium target. There's another post a couple inches below that -- would the spring be more effective there possibly?

Yes! That's where I relocated it to, and it's perfect there. The post where you have it often sends the ball to the side of the Unobtanium target, which tends to dead-drop it STDM. One post below, it 99% veers to the left.

#66 6 years ago
Quoted from Max_Badazz:

Here's my Avatar with LED's and some mods. I tried to make the playfield look like the nighttime scene in the movie when Jake is wandering with the torch. Since he's in the coffin on the playfield, I added the appropriate Jake Navi figure with those dog creatures (like the movie) to tell the story. I added a spotlight on those figures and used a purple LED to keep the ambiance. I added a Banshi over the ramp and I added a spotlight to the AMP suit since it was not well lit from the front. I drilled holes in the coffin under Jake to let some blue light shine through. I had an extra powerball laying around in my parts box so I put that in to make it more LEish Blue coin inserts were added as well as blue LED lighting under the cabinet. Finished it off with playfield rails (the pegs stink), blue legs, and a shaker motor, and I've got my perfect Avatar Pro

thats the best i've seen . colours are exactly like the movie , nice job..

#67 6 years ago
Quoted from SealClubber:

I have played several pros and two LEs. I don't know, each time I have played it I don't find it much fun in any way. The only shot that is satisfying is the center AMP shot. All the others are meh. I keep trying to give it a chance to see if it hits me like Tron finally did because you can still score them real cheap. Maybe its because of the one ramp. I tend to like games with lots of those. <shrugs> Also the music score is a bit too tranquil / trance like. Fits the theme but doesn't get me pumped. Pretty game, but not for me.

Thanks for the response. What you posted makes sense. It's a personal thing. I can understand why some people will be turned off by the fact that it only has one ramp.

#68 6 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Thanks for the response. What you posted makes sense. It's a personal thing. I can understand why some people will be turned off by the fact that it only has one ramp.

I wonder if any of those same people like Totan...

#69 6 years ago
Quoted from SunKing:

After over a year, I'm still enjoying mine. I've only hit the 'final battle' a few times. Tough ruleset.

Not as tough as acdc and x men with the new code in

#70 6 years ago

Finally nice to see Avatar praise. Simple, yet diffcult and FUN. I'm holding on to mine for a while.

#71 6 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Yes! That's where I relocated it to, and it's perfect there. The post where you have it often sends the ball to the side of the Unobtanium target, which tends to dead-drop it STDM. One post below, it 99% veers to the left.

WOW !!! Just got that spring moved down to the post below, and HOLY COW, you are not kidding. I haven't had a single STDM from the pop bumper area in several games. It's a HUGE improvement in how the game plays. Thanks much for encouraging me to make that change. And if you own an Avatar and still lose the ball STDM even with the countermeasure spring installed, look at where that spring is placed. If there is another post about 1.5 inches below it, then by all means move that spring down there. It did take a little "re-engineering" of the spring, since the spring is designed to anchor into the playfield hole for the target adjacent to the post where the spring is originally placed. Basically, I had to unwind about one full loop of spring on the bottom, and then routed that section up between the post where the spring was originally placed and the post above it, wrapping it around that post and sending the anchor back down towards the same spot where it was to begin with. It might not be the absolute prettiest job if you stare at it, but nobody would see that anyway. And it works a ton better placed on that lower post.

1 month later
#72 6 years ago

Do you have any pics of the mod you did? I would like to try this on my Avatar. I get annoyed at any drains outof the pop bumpers.

#73 6 years ago

It is worth the 3k admission.

#74 6 years ago

Well, since this thread was updated - guess I should mention that I sold Avatar last month. It was replaced with an AC/DC Premium. Avatar was fun, but AC/DC is better.

6 months later
#75 6 years ago

I have both an Avatar Pro and ACDC pro. I like them just about equally with ACDC having the edge. The shaker and songs in ACDC especially with customized songs probably make it a bit better.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 209.99
Lighting - Led
PinballBulbs
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
Machine - For Sale
Pittsburgh, PA
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer
There are 75 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside