C5FD9811-757D-4D54-ABFD-5DB055DD2E9E (resized).jpeg
DSC02579.jpg
DSC02544.jpg
DSC02593.JPG
DSC02575.JPG
DSC02536.JPG
DSC02528.JPG
DSC02547.JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider sunking.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 12 years ago

Last month, I traded Monopoly towards Avatar - and I've been really enjoying it! I did a couple mods some of y'all may be interested to see. In addition to the standard LED upgrades, I also added a Zanitar(sp?) toy to the Navi target area, and had the amp suit repainted to give it a more authentic look. Here's a few pics - I posted a ton more on my website here: http://www.bradberryman.com/Pinball_Avatar.htm Enjoy~!

DSC02547.JPGDSC02547.JPG DSC02528.JPGDSC02528.JPG DSC02536.JPGDSC02536.JPG DSC02575.JPGDSC02575.JPG DSC02593.JPGDSC02593.JPG

#3 12 years ago

Thanks Rum-Z.

BTW, the reason I said 'take another look' is that when reading reviews of Avatar, it seems a lot of people gave poor reviews because of things that have been subsequently fixed. For example, I saw lots of complaints about balls bouncing around the pops, and then draining STDM. Stern issued a fix for this. Another common complaint was that balls sometimes jumped over the left outlane guide. This has been fixed with the release of a double height lane guide. There have also been software updates since the initial release that have included a ton of additional DMD animations as well as other misc upgrades/fixes. The most recent release was just last month. Another thing I'd like to mention - again with people complaining how the ball gets trapped in the pops for too long - I found out that all of the timed modes stop counting down when the ball is in the pops. That way, there really is no penalty to have the ball bounce around for a while. And finally, I saw lots of people say it looks 'cheap' and complained because it doesn't have all the bells and whistles like LOTR. I will agree that the playfield is a bit sparce compared to others, but I've found this is something I like. I really enjoy the open 'fan' layout of the shots, and the machine plays very fast - especially when the amp suit magnet flings the ball around.

So if you get a chance, I highly recommend that you give Avatar another look. IMHO, it's a keeper.

....here's a couple more pics for ya.

DSC02544.jpgDSC02544.jpg DSC02579.jpgDSC02579.jpg

#5 12 years ago
Quoted from dung:

Your amp suit upgrade is very nice it adds a lot to the look. The coffin device (name escapes me) looks like something that came out of a happy meal though.If I would pick one thing that puts me off this game it is that.

Thanks! And yes, I agree 100% that the 'link pod' is about as cheap looking as it could be. I've seen a couple mods that improve it somewhat - but ...honestly, I'm tempted to just remove the damn thing alltogether. At least in the LE edition the lid opens/closes...but still - it is pretty lame.

Quoted from dung:

Overall it is fun

This is what I think as well. I've been having a TON of fun playing, and still have not hit the 'final battle' mode - close, but no cigar. And yeah, for the price, I know there are a lot of other pins I could have bought - but I'm very happy with Avatar. I think the sounds are awesome. Plus, my wife and kids love the movie - so that helps a lot.

11 years later
#12 10 months ago

Holy thread resurrection Batman!!

I sold my Avatar over 10 years ago. ...but if I remember correctly, I had to cut the action figure in half, and then glue it into place. Avatar was a pretty simple, but fun game. I'd grab it again if one came up for a reasonable price.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
4,799 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Port Saint Lucie, FL
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

5,300 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Monrovia, MD
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PR Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Flagstaff, AZ
4,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bakersfield, CA
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 14.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider sunking.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/avatar-mods-take-another-look?tu=sunking and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.