• Latest reply 10 years ago by Gerry
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_1152[1].JPG
#1 10 years ago

Just picked this up and rebuilt the flippers. Changed them out to clear and not sure how I feel about it. It still feels a little weak. I can make the ramp easily but the ball seems slow. I may need to pitch it a little higher or upgrade the flipper coils.

Also opened the ball gate so you can do loop shots though the ball from the right orbit shot lands on the left sling.

Any suggestions of other things to try. I'm not sold on my LED choices either. Thinking maybe of using a blue instead of the warm whites.

This game is pretty damn hard, but it's just missing something. I'm playing it a bit and think its way underrated, but also thinking with a few more tweaks it could really be a fast bastard that I will love instead of just like.

IMG_1152[1].JPGIMG_1152[1].JPG
#2 10 years ago

You could always raise the back legs
Or wax the playfield

#3 10 years ago

Change the flipper coils...I posted about it some time ago on RGP - probably here, too...a little search will get you more specifics...but I'm trying to run out the door to get to work ...but basically I used the same coils in Iron Man, but reversed. IM's left on Avatar's right, IM's right on Avatar's left. That way the stronger coil is on the right (for the ramp shot) and the slightly weaker one is on the left (so you don't destroy the target bank)....but both will be stronger than stock. The ball will SCREAM and make the game a flow battle maniac!

#4 10 years ago

I never upgraded my coils but mine were tightened down to the bushings and needed some play. Once adjusted the flippers felt great.

#5 10 years ago

Just sell it to me

#6 10 years ago
Quoted from TomGWI:

I never upgraded my coils but mine were tightened down to the bushings and needed some play. Once adjusted the flippers felt great.

If it feels good, it feels good! The Avatars I'd played (including my own) always felt like the timing was just a hair off - I also had Iron Man at the time and I felt like I had a really good sense of timing on the shots. Since they're similar games, I figured "why not try the IM coils on Avatar" ...and it gave the game the snappy timing I felt it really needed.

#7 10 years ago

What about using the upgraded LOTR coils? They are alot stronger. I may try them, but don't know if they are too strong. Tempted to try but want opinions if anyone has tried this. I put the upgraded coils in family guy and it shoots awesome.

#8 10 years ago
Quoted from hank527:

What about using the upgraded LOTR coils? They are alot stronger. I may try them, but don't know if they are too strong. Tempted to try but want opinions if anyone has tried this. I put the upgraded coils in family guy and it shoots awesome.

Just try my IM coil solution. You don't want the left coil TOO strong cuz it'll just be too much for the 3-bank target area.

#9 10 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Just try my IM coil solution. You don't want the left coil TOO strong cuz it'll just be too much for the 3-bank target area.

Basically IM or AP coils then? Did you use the same coil strength for both flippers. AP uses different coils and Iron Man seems to have several different flipper coils according to Marco

#090-5032-ND

#10 10 years ago

It will never flow correctly, I will take it off your hands if you need it gone

#11 10 years ago

Put the LOTR's in there hank...

I put thos in 24, CSI and IM... with coil pulse on HIGH..

Its an amazing difference..

If you think its too strong, set coil pulse to medium, and enjoy...

But i think you will leave it on high..

I know how you like your games to play

@ Greg, i have never damaged a thing on any of the above games, Iron monger made it through just fine...

I think the 3 bank on avatar will survive no problem..

BTW happy new year to both of you guys

#12 10 years ago
Quoted from hank527:

Basically IM or AP coils then? Did you use the same coil strength for both flippers. AP uses different coils and Iron Man seems to have several different flipper coils according to Marco
#090-5032-ND

Again -
Whatever Iron Man has on the right, put on Avatar's left. (Weaker coil)
Whatever Iron Man has on the left, put on Avatar's right. (Stronger coil)

Sorry I don't have the numbers in front of me.

(Not sure what's on AP - that's irrelevant to this discussion.)

#13 10 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Again -
Whatever Iron Man has on the right, put on Avatar's left. (Weaker coil)
Whatever Iron Man has on the left, put on Avatar's right. (Stronger coil)
Sorry I don't have the numbers in front of me.
(Not sure what's on AP - that's irrelevant to this discussion.)

AP has that same set up with one weak and one stronger.

#14 10 years ago

Greg, dont make me fly out there !

#15 10 years ago
Quoted from hank527:

AP has that same set up with one weak and one stronger.

I don't have the manuals in front of me...just lettin' ya know what I did and it rocked.

#16 10 years ago

Funny, my bride complains about the flippers being too weak every time she plays it. Doesn't help that she plays Star Trek right next to it all the time and the flippers on it are very strong.

#17 10 years ago

When you guys say the Avatar flippers are "too weak" are you not making it up the ramp even when you hit? I suck at hitting the ramp, but when I do, it makes it up without a lot of trouble. Are the stronger flippers helping your "aim" at the ramp?

#18 10 years ago

Update.

I put in 5020T no diode coils and they were way too strong. So I pulled out the right coil 5065 and replaced it with a 5030 which is pretty common.

The game seems to perform a lot better. The ramp shot feels right and not really really weak as it did with the 5065. Its not a cake walk but if you aim it right it makes it pretty quick.

Rarehero suggested using a 5030 on the left and a 5032 on the right. Right now I'm happy with factory 5025 on the left and a 5030 on the right flipper.

1 week later
#19 10 years ago

Well everything is rebuilt and shopped. I'm not loving AVATAR LE. I like it, but I don't think I'm keeping it. After I did a full tare down and put everything back together I got to final battle on my 3-4 game.

If anyone is interested in it let me know $4600.00 and it has under cab interactive lighting, interactive backbox, clear rubbers, freshly shopped and LED. Game is simply stunning.

1 month later
#20 10 years ago

bump for starscream to find your PM info... about Goldeneye

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
arcade-cabinets.com

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 14.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 8.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Flagstaff, AZ
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PR Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/avatar-le-any-tips-or-suggestions-for-making-it-flow-better and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.