Topic Stats

• 35 posts
  • 20 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by Zampinator
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 10 years ago

Now normally I wouldn't ask this about most machines because I think I am starting to get a fair idea about how much they are worth.. especially the classics... for example, if I had the opportunity to buy a TZ for say $3000 I would do it in a flash. This one has me stumped, and I will explain why.

There has been an Avatar for sale for $4500 (private seller) that is located only 10 minutes from my home and has been on the market for weeks. I haven't gone to have a look at it yet but have emailed the guy several times. His ad claims that it is still in perfect condition and judging by it's age and photos of this machine I think that there is a fair chance that it is..

What I don't get is why it hasn't sold yet? Was Avatar boring or not that much fun to play? I wasn't a big fan of the movie...

#2 10 years ago

There are nib going for 4800 locally. I like the game ok, the lighting and colors are very nice. Movie doesn't do it for me though.

#3 10 years ago

played avatar at knoebels recently and was pleasantly surprised. fun to play great looking and off the charts light show.

#4 10 years ago

Not boring, but not a complete game either. Need better code...

#5 10 years ago

Is it a pro or an LE model. Big difference- I have the LE and think its a great under rated game. If it's an LE probably fair price- pro model way over priced.

#6 10 years ago
Quoted from tp:

played Avatar at knoebels recently and was pleasantly surprised. fun to play great looking and off the charts light show.

Wow... I'm guessing that is in the US.. this one I am talking about is in Australia.. I will mention it to him and see if he will drop his price. I did ask him a while back and he refused to budge, quoting that..."this is an almost new machine and worth $1000s more than what I am asking"...

I would love a newer machine in my collection and this does seem like am opportunity to get one but I am not sure if this machine is the right one for me... regardless of price..

#7 10 years ago
Quoted from pin15:

Is it a pro or an LE model. Big difference- I have the LE and think its a great under rated game. If it's an LE probably fair price- pro model way over priced.

I have no idea... He doesn't say in his ad but he does mention that it has over $600 of additions.. I will be certain to ask him though...

#8 10 years ago

Not a bad game, but see if you can get it around $4k.

#9 10 years ago

AVATAR is a forgotten stern, it is a great, great game. The biggest problem with it is, it is very tough to play, very brutal. If you like tough games, Avatar is a gem.

#10 10 years ago

I just don't like the music.

#11 10 years ago

Avatar is a surprisingly good, but in the states at least it doesn't command near that much money. I've seen routed (working) ones for less than $3k, and the Limited Edition seems to sell around $4500 max. The changes with the LE were sort of controversial (the Navi ball's score changing ability was thought by many to be a downgrade, myself included - although you can take it out and not use it), but the look and gameplay is an overall extremely solid package.

I don't know how that price is for where you are, but if it is fair, you should at least give it some plays. The fact that it hasn't sold in months definitely should tell you something about that though.

#12 10 years ago

Yeah Im not getting a good feeling from this dude... I asked if he would be willing to drop his price a bit lower than $4500 because basically I would most likely be able to source a potential new machine for not all that much more (ok it would cost a fortune to ship it to Australia but I wasnt thinking about that at the time)..

Anyways he basically shut me down and told me to go elsewhere if that was the case.. He hasnt answered my question over if it is a LE or Pro either... Mmmm I am definitely seeing why this guy hasnt sold it yet... I may still go have a look though.. I am curious as to what this machine is like...

#13 10 years ago

I just bought an huo le with full led,s,mirror blades and more for 4700.00,so I think if it is an le you are ok.I like the game and it is tough but the le sould have been the pro for sure

#14 10 years ago

Very simple game but entertaining. I really like the look of the BG and the mech suit shot is very tight.

Not the best game but it is fun and yet it does not get much love.

#15 10 years ago

I think the price sounds fair for a pro when factoring in the fact that both you and the seller are down under. there is new code coming in the future and it is definitely under rated. it has complete code IMO and has some easy shots with one tough task to complete for final battle (navi). multiballs can be stacked and the play field and cabinet art look great. I say go for it mate!

#16 10 years ago
Quoted from edwinpblue:

I think the price sounds fair for a pro when factoring in the fact that both you and the seller are down under. there is new code coming in the future and it is definitely under rated. it has complete code IMO and has some easy shots with one tough task to complete for final battle (navi). multiballs can be stacked and the play field and cabinet art look great. I say go for it mate!

New code coming in the future?????

I haven't heard that one.

#17 10 years ago

+1 on the new code- have not heard that- but that would be sweet! make a good game great!

#18 10 years ago

I was about to reply that they're cheap NIB, but not to ship overseas! Price seems fair if in 'like new' condition and overseas. No tax fee, no shipping.

#19 10 years ago

Avatar is a great game, don't listen to the haters. I sold an Avatar LE to fund a Metallica LE. I did not see the value in a METLE that was 3k more than my Avatar LE. (Not saying METLE is a bad game, just saying Avatar is that good IMO)

Great fan layout, love the ampsuit and magnet. Really like the pod lock or whatever it's called. The rules could be a little better though. Basically, no matter how far you get in, it's back to square 1 after every ball. Not like alot of Sterns that you continue to move thru the rule set, regardless if you lose a ball.

I think there is a lot of hate, because many pinheads bought Avatar early and then felt burned when they decided to release the LE.

#20 10 years ago

The release of the LE after the pro had been out for a little while definitely rankled some feathers, especially because it was the first time that Stern added gameplay features. Having said that, I don't think that too many people bought the game to begin with.

#21 10 years ago
Quoted from Toasterdog:

. Basically, no matter how far you get in, it's back to square 1 after every ball.

Not true - if you complete a feature, the feature insert will blink (meaning you completed it) & it'll stay lit even if you lose a ball.

#22 10 years ago

I played it around the time it first came out, set the grand champ score on my first game and never looked back. In retrospect, I'd probably give it a go again. The downside to buying one of these games might be that it's a tough re-sell if you decide you don't like it; unless the second movie comes out to help get people enthused about it again. Just a thought.

The distributor near me with one has been trying to sell his floor demo model for years (finally sold just recently).

#24 10 years ago

stern had posted on their web page that need code was coming and then that was pulled after Xmen owners went ballistic (rightfully so). there was the 2.0 software that came out in January but that wasn't a code update in the sense that it improved game play. the fact that they referenced a code update in the future (then pulled it) leads me to believe that it is still in the works but is now on the downlow so as to not upset owners of newer games.

#25 10 years ago
Quoted from edwinpblue:

stern had posted on their web page that need code was coming and then that was pulled after Xmen owners went ballistic (rightfully so). there was the 2.0 software that came out in January but that wasn't a code update in the sense that it improved game play. the fact that they referenced a code update in the future (then pulled it) leads me to believe that it is still in the works but is now on the downlow so as to not upset owners of newer games.

The reason it was pulled is because it wasn't an update, it was a variation for new hardware that was in a new run of Avatar games. It wouldn't have worked on the old ones, so no reason to post it.

I've suggested a few minor changes to Lyman & Lonnie for one final update, but as far as I know there isn't a planned update. We may get lucky...but no guarantees.

#26 10 years ago
Quoted from Jodester:

Not boring, but not a complete game either. Need better code...

Yes, it's done. The rules are boring and virtually all recycled, but it's done. Much like IJ4, software isn't going to miraculously make this an A game.

Quoted from Toasterdog:

I think there is a lot of hate, because many pinheads bought Avatar early and then felt burned when they decided to release the LE.

Nonsense. As LE's go, Avatar LE was weak.

Quoted from shacklersrevenge:

UNOBTANIUM!!

is a bad ass wizard mode.

This is what caused me to reply. Unobtanium is easily the worst wiz mode in the last 5 years. It's so bad, I don't mind completely explaining it here without a spoiler alert. Hit any 75 switches, shoot super, hit 85 switches, shoot super, rinse, repeat. Draining while the ball saver is frequently running is the desired strategy, to get the balls back in the pops. Any time you want to intentionally drain during a wiz mode, that's a bad sign. Fun getting there, but a horrible wiz mode.

It's a solid B title IMO. I'm not much of a theme guy, but the voice work done by Stephen Lang as the Colonel is awesome. You can tell he had fun doing it. $4.5k sounds high to me, but don't you folks pay a little more anyway? I'd prefer a pro over a an LE. I remember hearing of problems with Stern's rig for detecting the powerball. And even if it's working properly, it doesn't add much overall. Makes gameplay much less predictable. As a player, I don't like added unpredictability.

Worth noting that it's still listed as in production on Stern's site. It may get another software update, but folks shouldn't expect miracles.

#27 10 years ago

^ From what I understand, on an LE you have the option of turning the power ball off. In that case, the minor appearance things make the LE still a little more desirable to me... But not much. And the price reflects that.

#28 10 years ago

That price is good only if it's the LE. If it is, get it, mate!

#29 10 years ago

^
I like the callouts to the final battle. I like the spot target you must hit to progress to and in, Final Battle. It's rewarding to get there imo. It's a punishing pin. Different strokes, different folks...

#30 10 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

That price is good only if it's the LE. If it is, get it, mate!

Well he still hasn't replied to me to let me know if it is a LE or a Pro... Maybe he doesn't know and it sounds like he won't budge on the $4500.

So if I go take a look what do I need to see for a tell that it is a LE?

#31 10 years ago
Quoted from chinosts:

Well he still hasn't replied to me to let me know if it is a LE or a Pro... Maybe he doesn't know and it sounds like he won't budge on the $4500.
So if I go take a look what do I need to see for a tell that it is a LE?

There will be a plaque above the DMD that says Avatar Limited Edition #xxx/250

#32 10 years ago

here's what pinballnews.com and ipdb.org say are the differences with the LE. These should make it pretty obvious very quickly. Edit : lol and yeah what he said above, the plaque indicating LE # just above the DMD...

The amp suit model which just falls down and lifts back up in the Pro model, has animated legs which march up and down.
The transporter pod we said should have been motorised gets the motor it needs to enable the lid to open and close.
A shaker motor is included in the game.
There are more models of the characters including a banshee over the ramp, Colonel Quaritch in his amp suit - another feature we said should have been included - and Na'vi people over the N-A-V-I targets.
We noted the number of unused lamps on the lamp matrix. Well, these have been used to add more controlled lighting which sits alongside more general illumination lamps.
There's a return to a metal bottom arch which has backlighting for new translucent blue windows.
Metal playfield slide rails are also fitted in place of the pegs used on newer models.
The original-style lock bar and latch mechanism make a comeback.
A white powerball in included in place of one of the steel balls, along with a sensor which increases scoring when the special ball is in play.
New game rules and software is added to operate the new playfield devices and features.
Chrome side rails, lock bar and hinges are installed.

#33 10 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

There will be a plaque above the DMD that says Avatar Limited Edition #xxx/250

I don't think that's going to be obvious enough for me

#34 10 years ago
Quoted from SteveP3:

A white powerball in included in place of one of the steel balls, along with a sensor which increases scoring when the special ball is in play.
New game rules and software is added to operate the new playfield devices and features.
Chrome side rails, lock bar and hinges are installed.

I have the feeling it's not the LE...

#35 10 years ago
Quoted from rockrand:

I just bought an huo le with full led,s,mirror blades and more for 4700.00,so I think if it is an le you are ok.I like the game and it is tough but the le sould have been the pro for sure

Glad to hear your buddy got his transmission fixed.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PR Mods

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

5,300 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Monrovia, MD
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 76.00
Lighting - Backbox
Arcade Upkeep

$ 14.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

4,799 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Port Saint Lucie, FL
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/avatar-for-sale and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.