(Topic ID: 95421)

Avatar Club: Open to Owners and the interested.

By MustangPaul

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,979 posts
  • 178 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 days ago by jetmechinnc
  • Topic is favorited by 51 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20240420_082334 (resized).jpg
20240420_080954 (resized).jpg
20240420_080908 (resized).jpg
20240420_080901 (resized).jpg
20240420_081013 (resized).jpg
20240416_072824 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
PXL_20240404_201426513 (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20240405-100515 (resized).png
Screenshot_20240405-100523 (resized).png
PXL_20240331_142009964 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240331_141647189 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240326_214238844 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240326_232547775 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240331_141008296 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240331_141002783 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ftrmech.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#974 7 years ago

Hi All, new to this thread/club (didn't know it existed) and I am sorry if I am changing any subject thread but does anyone know of any mods in the works for the Link chamber? I received my Avatar NIB back in 2010 and really enjoy it but from day one that Link chamber with Sully in it has always been a sore spot...looks a bit like a cheap Walmart glasses case. Lastly, has anyone figured out a way to level the AMP suit so Quaritch isn't looking straight down? Pity they had to break the tops off the suit to get it to fit...would liked to have seen the gun belts.

Avatar Upper (resized).jpgAvatar Upper (resized).jpg

Avatar Full (resized).jpgAvatar Full (resized).jpg

#977 7 years ago

I will search for your link mod photos...despite this machines lack of love from the general pinball community, I really enjoy playing it and after all these years of ownership really don't see it leaving my collection. I will continue to invest in it...I am looking to ColorDMD next.

4 months later
#1149 7 years ago

I think Avatar is a very underated game...I have an LE and play it regularly. I picked up this topper from Cointaker while at this year's Texas Pinball Festival...a bit redundant but adds a splash of color.

20170325_113637 (resized).jpg20170325_113637 (resized).jpg

#1150 7 years ago

20170412_214045 (resized).jpg20170412_214045 (resized).jpg

2 years later
#1605 4 years ago

My Avatar LE did really well at the 2019 "Pincinnati" show this weekend...nearly 500 plays and not a single issue.

20191126_090316 (resized).jpg20191126_090316 (resized).jpg
#1609 4 years ago
Quoted from J85M:

Back when Stern’s where built like tanks!

...and for some reason, there is hardly any playfield dimpling...nearly 1400 plays. I have to wonder what was changed in the playfield production process...it is the same with my Tron LE...my Star Trek LE however, looks like the surface of the moon...but there are those out here on Pinside who insist this is "normal".

2 months later
#1663 4 years ago
Quoted from ZfromEarth:

Guys,
What does it mean this?
I dont know use the operator menu.
This happening if I open the coindoor[quoted image]

I simply means that when the door is open it disables the high voltage under the playfied...it is a safety mechanism. You should see a white push/pull post to the inside left of the coin door opening...if you pull it out it will reactivate the high voltage...push it back in to deactivate.

1 week later
#1676 4 years ago
Quoted from J85M:

I saw this post earlier in the Alien thread https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/alien-pinball-official-game-thread/page/525#post-5514960 and it got me thinking about the Link/plastic coffin on Avatar.
Would anyone be 100% interested in a new movie accurate Link? No idea on price yet but if there’s enough interest it could happen, I’ve always wanted to replace the Link bed but until the last couple of years we haven’t really had the influx of 3D printing and mod makers we have now.[quoted image]

Absolutely! The current one looks like a cheap eye-glass case.

#1686 4 years ago
Quoted from DavidPinballWizz:

I pass on everything... just not into (unofficial) mods.

What would be considered an "official" mod? Maybe the current line of Stern Toppers...nothing else comes to mind.

#1687 4 years ago
Quoted from J85M:

Mines an LE, my plan is to get this made in two parts so it works with both LE and PRO models.
Could do with gauging some interested as I may just make a one off if there’s not enough interest.
So with that said who would be interested in a movie accurate Link bed? And who would be interested in flower pops (2 would fit as standard) a 3rd would require permanently altering the plastic that covers the left most pop.

Yes, a movie accurate lighted link pod with a more realistic Sully figure...I'm in.

#1689 4 years ago
Quoted from J85M:

The one I’m designing won’t have a sully figure, so it will either hold the existing one or be empty, although a printed photo from the film may work... let’s see.
Either way I want a little more love for my avatar hugely underrated and it would look so much better with a little more in the playfield like the bumpers being the flowers which they are on the dmd.

I agree with you...I really enjoy my Avatar, bought it NIB. That said, there are some things about the machine that are a bit annoying, the link pod is certainly one of them but the AMP suit and Quaritch looking straight down along with the "radical" removal of its guns are a bother...something I have learned to ignore.

1 month later
#1692 3 years ago
Quoted from Turtlepower169:

In the club now. Tried to give it that DisneyWorld Pandora at night look. Comet Ice Blue with fluorescent green posts.[quoted image]

Looks nice. Maybe consider adding some "mirror blades" to give it some depth...

Avatar (resized).pngAvatar (resized).png
3 months later
#1717 3 years ago
Quoted from J85M:

I’ve got an LE and a friend has a pro and I’ve honestly never noticed any extra decals on my LE, I do plan on giving it a movie accurate paint job though so the decals will likely get taken off in the process.

Does the Pro Model AMP Suit look like something was cut off on each shoulder? I have a NIB LE and you can clearly see where it was "modified"...Also, I hate the fact the Col. Qaurich is looking down.

Av Amp (resized).jpgAv Amp (resized).jpg
5 months later
#1741 3 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

If you get it put the OCD board in it when you led it. A must have with this game.

OCD Board? I have had my LE since it came out of the box many years ago...not sure what an OCD board is or what is is used for. Help me out please.

3 months later
#1763 3 years ago
Quoted from nocreditdot:

Avatar is really a great game. It doesn’t get the respect it should because of the way Stern rolled it out. The LE will continue to climb in value as others see what this game has to offer.

I would have to agree with you, Avatar is a fun but challenging game, I bought my Avatar NIB and have never considered letting it go...I simply enjoy it too much. I hear many people talk about it being such an underrated game yet it sits at #118 in the Pinside top 100...I really don't have much faith in the Top 100...more of a popularity/flavor of the month contest...but there are many other games in that 1 and 118 range that I think Avatar is superior to...same with Munsters. So, go give Avatar a decent rating, perhaps people will notice and its reputation will change.

6 months later
#1777 2 years ago

Are the Amp suits used on Avatar Pinball the same as the Mattel toy Amp suits?

#1779 2 years ago
Quoted from Spyderturbo007:

This is what I bought when I had dmacy strip the topside of mine and make it pretty again.
If I remember correctly, he said he needed to drill some mounting holes in it.
https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/880-5118-00

Great, thank you...the one on my LE broke the Left leg...I found a used one on Ebay and hopefully I can cannibalize the part I need from it.

1 month later
#1785 2 years ago

Great price...the leg broke off on the AMP suit on my Avatar LE...I bought a used AMP suit on EBay and it was different color gray plastic...on the machine it is a bluish gray, the toy I got on EBay was more of a stone gray...right now my AMP suit looks a bit like CP3O with a silver leg. If I can find the right color leg I will change it out again...but for now, it works. It seems there is a bit of stress between the leg mounts, it pulls the legs together inward...I think the feet should have been drilled a bit farther apart where they mount to the machine.
A2 (resized).jpgA2 (resized).jpg

1 month later
#1790 2 years ago
Quoted from FtrMech:

Great price...the leg broke off on the AMP suit on my Avatar LE...I bought a used AMP suit on EBay and it was different color gray plastic...on the machine it is a bluish gray, the toy I got on EBay was more of a stone gray...right now my AMP suit looks a bit like CP3O with a silver leg. If I can find the right color leg I will change it out again...but for now, it works. It seems there is a bit of stress between the leg mounts, it pulls the legs together inward...I think the feet should have been drilled a bit farther apart where they mount to the machine.
[quoted image]

I am curious if anyone else is seeing issues with their AMP suit legs breaking...I thought it was just mine but happened to notice this ad on EBay for an LE where both legs are broken off...ebay.com link: itm I guess this may be an issue for LE owners.

1 month later
#1792 2 years ago
Quoted from HighTower:

Avatar newbie here and got a question about adding Col. Quaritch action figurine to the AMP Suit on a Pro
How do you get the AMP Suite open and does he need to be fixed in there with some double sided 3M tape or hot glue?

I have an LE so mine came with Quaritch already inside but I needed a new leg so took one off of a spare AMP suit...the canopy simply opens from the front and there is a "well" that the figure sits inside. Hopefully that helps a bit.

20220225_140234 (resized).jpg20220225_140234 (resized).jpg
#1793 2 years ago
Quoted from FtrMech:

I have an LE so mine came with Quaritch already inside but I needed a new leg so took one off of a spare AMP suit...the canopy simply opens from the front and there is a "well" that the figure sits inside. Unfortunately, due to size, the AMP suit cockpit will always be facing down which accommodates the suit falling forward during AMP suit multi-ball...so, Quaritch will always be facing down as well. Hopefully that helps a bit.
[quoted image]

2 months later
#1796 1 year ago
Quoted from Boof-Ed:

Check the switch in the shooter lane. When a ball is ejected and the switch is triggered, if the two metal plates on either side of the lane are connected by a metal ball the game knows it’s not the Navi ball.

...and make sure the metal plates are clean, wipe them down. Any oil can keep them from making contact with the ball.

#1799 1 year ago
Quoted from MG7322:

That was it! Some rubbing alcohol over those rails and all is good. Didn’t look dirty but It did the trick! Thanks again.
[quoted image]

Glad it worked...happy to help!

3 months later
#1819 1 year ago
Quoted from ArcadeBar:

What extra sounds and lighting effects are in the LE vs the Pro? I know there’s the toy differences and the power ball and of course the delicious chrome, but just curious. Thanks

I don't think there is any sound differences other than the call outs for the Navi-Ball. I think lighting is the same. I have an LE but haven't played a pro but once or twice. On a separate note, I have noticed that on the LEs the AMP legs may crack at the knuckle. I had to replace mine and I have seen some listed on EBay with broken legs.

#1821 1 year ago
Quoted from JagDaniels:

They crack on the pro aswell, because stern just put screws in to fix and the force of the mechanism just pulls the knuckle onesided. It's poorly made...

I think the rocking motion is just too much stress on the leg.

#1825 1 year ago
Quoted from ArcadeBar:

Anyone ever make a replacement link bed mod or pop bumper caps? A more detailed 3D printed link bed would be awesome

Not that I am aware of but a lighted link-pod would be awesome...hint to anyone with the creativity and knowledge.

#1827 1 year ago
Quoted from ArcadeBar:

I’ve seen some people added an led strip either under the lid or under Jake with some material under him. But would be great to completely replace the ‘glasses case’ with a 3D printed link bed that has more accurate movie details and lighting included.
Also the pop bumper nipple caps need a makeover, maybe the round turbines from the scorpion could make pop toppers with a red pop ring under them or something.

...or make them look something like the floating seed pods...maybe translucent.

4 weeks later
#1840 1 year ago
Quoted from ArcadeBar:

Did anyone ever make a decal for the top of the amp suit 3Bank?

Yes, I found mine on Ebay several years back...I thought I saw them recently, but I don't recall where. May just have to search around and found out who has them.

Avatar Upper (resized).jpgAvatar Upper (resized).jpg
1 month later
#1859 1 year ago
Quoted from Guidotorpedo:

I just picked up a pro, and the amp suit is broken on one of the legs.
Does anyone have a source/link to where one might be?
Thanks
Mike

Also keep in mind that the pro has the stone-gray Amp Suit and the LE has the Blue Gray Amp Suit. I replaced one of my legs a few posts back (post 1785)...which leg on yours is broken? I used the Left leg off the Amp suit I found on EBay so I still have the right leg...it is the stone-gray version. If you decide to look on EBay, keep in mind that with the new movie there is a newer version that may not match what we have on our pinball machines. Best bet is to stick with the original 2009 version.

3 months later
#1904 1 year ago
Quoted from Dellamarmalade:

I have an intermitted problem with my LE getting random Navi Ball detections, sometimes the Navi ball detection works with the correct ball,other
times with a metal ball, I kept on hearing Navi Ball double scoring etc etc on nearly every ball .
I have played with the shooter lane switch a little but maybe not enough, could this switch be causing the issue here ?
Any dealt with this before. Thanks

The first thing I would do is ensure your shooter lane is wiped clean of any oils or debris...if the metal insert in the shooter lane has any residue or oils on it, it may prevent it from registering the steel balls and differentiating them from the Navi ball.

#1907 1 year ago
Quoted from TheCnyPinGuy:

Okay
Seriously debating on Powder Coating my Leg as the Chrome leg is unavailable
What does the group think ??
Any color suggestions ?
Or should I continue to locate a leg and keep the game true to factory chrome

I had considered powder coating as well...I always thought pearl white or better, metallic white would look good as it closely matches the side art...but that is just my opinion.

2 weeks later
#1919 1 year ago

Can anymore show me the correct Ampsuit to replace the current one in Avatar
My has a cracked leg and seeking a replacement
Went on eBay and saw quite a few
Thanks for your help

Pro gets the gray suit, the LE the blue gray...I replaced mine on my LE already.

#1922 1 year ago

I figured it out
Based on the toy package

Sounds good...I was going to mention the Amp Suit box. I have a few images in this thread that I posted during my leg replacement.

1 week later
#1936 1 year ago

What I found while replacing the Left Amp suit leg on my LE, is that the Blue-gray with yellow accents go to the LE, the Stone-gray are for the Pro. The Blue-gray is on the Left and Stone-gray on the right.

20230406_115628 (resized).jpg20230406_115628 (resized).jpg20230406_115638 (resized).jpg20230406_115638 (resized).jpg20230406_115711 (resized).jpg20230406_115711 (resized).jpg

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
4,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bakersfield, CA
$ 14.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PR Mods

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Flagstaff, AZ
4,799 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Port Saint Lucie, FL
5,300 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Monrovia, MD
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ftrmech.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/avatar-club-open-to-owners-and-the-interested?tu=ftrmech and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.