(Topic ID: 95421)

Avatar Club: Open to Owners and the interested.

By MustangPaul

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,979 posts
  • 178 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 days ago by jetmechinnc
  • Topic is favorited by 51 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20240420_082334 (resized).jpg
20240420_080954 (resized).jpg
20240420_080908 (resized).jpg
20240420_080901 (resized).jpg
20240420_081013 (resized).jpg
20240416_072824 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
PXL_20240404_201426513 (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20240405-100515 (resized).png
Screenshot_20240405-100523 (resized).png
PXL_20240331_142009964 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240331_141647189 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240326_214238844 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240326_232547775 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240331_141008296 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240331_141002783 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Pintucky.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#15 9 years ago

I bought one of the first Avatars produced. Got it in the Fall of 2010. While others have said it was a worthless game, I feel the very opposite. I've owned about 20 pins now, most are Top Listers, and Avatar holds its own and is popular with those who play my pins! In fact, I think if I sold all my pins and could only keep one, it would be Avatar.

One of the things I like about it is, this is the only pin I own that I don't have to repair all the time! It was a brilliantly thought out game and mine seems to have been constructed perfectly. Never had a problem!

I have put all LED's in mine and it is awesome looking. I can't explain it fully here, but I have put a large LED (purple) under the white insert area of the AMP suite, and when you hit it for multi-ball, it keeps the white light flashing but the purple also works. At times during game play, it is all purple, and then reverts back to white. I didn't plan it that way, but it sure looks great when it happens.

I put the blue DMD in mine, hooked it up to a large powered sub-woofer, and installed the 'big bird' on the PF. I could go on and on about this pin, but to those who know it and love it, you know everything i'm feeling!
Mike in Kentucky
Pinball - Avatar Mod Add-ons 008.jpgPinball - Avatar Mod Add-ons 008.jpg
Pinball - Avatar Mod Add-ons 006.jpgPinball - Avatar Mod Add-ons 006.jpg
Pinball - Avatar Mod Add-ons 005.jpgPinball - Avatar Mod Add-ons 005.jpg

#19 9 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

There are 3 flashers there so do you have the purple one in the big center insert and one white to either side?

Oh dear! It has been so long ago, I can't remember what I did! I know I have the purple LED in the big center insert, and I guess that means I left the original incandescent lamps on the sides.

As for the flicker issue, no . . . I have never had that. But I also don't have the LE version, which I think you do.

I put blue LED's under the inserts down by the flippers . . . the 7 or so that go right up the middle. That one thing alone really dressed this pin up! That was the first thing I did to it, and it is what got me inspired to do the entire pin.

#37 9 years ago

I think Avatar is a very complete game. I seldom get tired of playing it.

But my pin doesn't like me! EVERY TIME I get "Navi scoring", my ball drains straight down the middle! I played today and got it 3 times in one game. Each and every time, the moment the pin announced "Navi scoring", I didn't hit anything else and all 3 balls went SDTM!!!

#57 9 years ago

MustangPaul

If it is not a lot of trouble, could you take some pictures as you go about this project, sort of step by step? I'd like to follow your lead and try this myself. At least see if you can show WHERE you are wiring things up . . . I'd hate to blow my pin up from wiring things backwards!

If it is too tedious to take pictures, I understand. But do give us a follow-up report and 'splain how it all worked out.
Thanks,
Mike

#59 9 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

'll take pictures of where and how I hook up the 7 led strip but don't worry about blowing your pin up

AWESOME! AWESOME!

I was just joshing about blowing my pin up, but with my electrical knowledge, anything can happen! Ha.

Thanks for the pics. Looking forward to that electrical info!!!
Mike

#67 9 years ago
Quoted from nocreditdot:

I put the comet led strip on the inside of the pod lid.

I'm not familiar with these. Where do you get them?
Thanks,
Mike

#74 9 years ago
Quoted from nocreditdot:

It looked like Jake was in a tanning bed.

Laying in bed with my laptop . . . I laughed so hard at this I woke my wife up!

#76 9 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

there are more fun things to do in bed then play with a laptop.

Well . . . I only use one hand to type . . . .

#77 9 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

Go to cometpinball.com.

Man! They have a great selection! Don't know how I have missed them all this time. Thought I knew all the sellers . . . .

Thanks!

1 week later
#96 9 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

I'm also working on a pop cap mod that I think is BADLY needed

When or if you get this done, will you please post pictures and details? Sound very intriguing.

Also, the apron lights are fantastic! That appears to be a clear plastic encased piece. Right? How did you mount it? Does it come with a peel and stick backing?

I'm glad you figured out what that piece was for. I would have helped if I could have figure it out but I wasn't smart enough! I had never recalled seeing that piece.
Mike in Kentucky

#103 9 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

and for once no left over parts.

I liked that last line!

EXCELLENT job!!!! And the explanation and pictures were great. Don't waste money on a filter, you did okay without it! Ha.
Mike

#105 9 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

will go to the hardware store tomorrow to buy one of those cone shaped drill bits that drill ever larger holes and they aint cheap

Yes, but just think how much you are doing for the pinball community with this investment!

I can't WAIT to see this!!!

Mike

#110 9 years ago

Wow! That's awesome! Great idea! Great job!!!
Mike

#114 9 years ago

Damn! You are a surgeon!!!

#121 9 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

ust got finished installing the el paper apron cards.

What is "el paper". I hope I'm not asking a dumb question and it is an abbreviation for something simple!

#127 9 years ago
Quoted from Cheeks:

I think it's just paper from Mexico.

Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa! That was a damned good laugh, there !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2 months later
#223 9 years ago

The spring kit was supplied to all NIB owners free of charge from Stern. I had to call tech support to get mine. Seems like something else came with the kit. I think it was a small piece of clear plastic to put over the ramp in the back of the pin so the ball wouldn't fly out. I know there were two things included in that pack. I would give them a call and simply ask for one. When I did it, they asked me why my distributor didn't get me one. From the way they talked all distributors were supposed to get one and mail to new pin owners.

important! The directions tell you to affix the spring to the top post near the Amp Suit. We tried and tried and that did not work. Was just too difficult to do and even when we thought we had it, it still didn't function correctly. I dropped it down to the post closer to the entrance to the Amp Suit. It works perfectly there. I think when Stern printed the instruction sheet they made a mistake as to which post to attach it to. This is an easy but not TOO easy fix. Took me awhile to get it right.

The game play is really affected greatly and it sure works perfectly. Whoever designed this fix really was clever. I've never seen anything like it before on a pin.
Mike in Kentucky

#226 9 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

I didn't know about the plastic piece over the ramp, my game was used and had it on there. Did all the different models come with the metal ramp protectors?

I would think so. When I bought mine NIB, it had just come out and it had the metal protector for the ramp. I would say the LE version did too. I mean, why would they NOT? There are only two versions of this pin. Original (like mine), and the LE.

Quoted from billsfanmd:

who sells the sdtm drain fix spring? dont see it at marco.

I don't think anyone sells this. This was supposed to be a distributor thing between them and Stern. When a distributor was told the kit was a 'must' item and would be sent for free from Stern, the distributors were supposed to contact everyone who bought an NIB and tell them it would be sent free of charge. No one called me (Distributor in Florida) and I had a Stern connected guy to come by here one day just to visit and when he saw my pin he asked me where my 'spring kit' was? I told him I had no idea what he was talking about. He said it was to prevent all the SDTM stuff. He told me to call Stern and tell them my distributor failed to alert me and send me the kit.

If I were you, I would call Stern's Tech Department. Chas or Patrick will most likely answer. Tell them you need the 'retro spring kit' for the Avatar. If you get Patrick, tell him Mike Giorgio said for you to call. That ought to set off a nice long conversation! Ha. I just hope they still have them. A person could actually find a spring similar to that one and 'rig it'. Would be so much easier though to have the kit than trying to make one yourself. This kit has some screws too, and I can't remember what all. Maybe a post. Just can't remember. IT IS A MUST HAVE! It TOTALLY changed my game play. I love it. It prevents 90% of SDTM's and gives the ball some random bounce. SO MUCH BETTER!

If you get the kit and there are no instructions, or you have problems with the instructions, email me: [email protected]. As I said somewhere above, do not put it where the instructions tell you. I can talk to you on the phone and help you find the spot.

Mike in Kentucky

#229 9 years ago
Quoted from billsfanmd:

okay...part number is 267-5007-00

How did you find a part number?

#233 9 years ago
Quoted from billsfanmd:

Called chas at stern. Said its not a unique part

But what did he say about the retro kit for this pin? Do they still have them? You might want to ask for Patrick and tell him I said for you to call. If he has any of the kits left, I am sure he will mail you one.

Quoted from MustangPaul:

It's basicaly a one way spring, sticks out so it catches a ball

This spring has a straight end on it that sticks out . . . hmmm . . . about 3/4" . . . it pivots back and forth depending on which direction the ball hits it. Coming down from the pops it redirects the ball just a bit to keep it from going SDTM. If you hit the ball back up the middle to the pops, this little tip end of the spring will allow the ball to pass through. It varies on mine in its resting position and works VERY well. I was surprised at how good it functions. When I first saw it I thought it was the most stupid thing I had ever seen! Sure changed my mind later!

2 months later
#319 9 years ago
Quoted from Asylum:

just curious if throwing one in there adds any excitement to the game on a pro. At least there would be no unfair advantage from a point scoring perspective like on the LE. Just a thought.

I took my ceramic ball out of my Twilight Zone and put it in my Avatar Pro just to see what it was like. Wasn't anything great at all. Took it right back out. The pin couldn't detect it was in there so all I got was a faster ball and it would not interact with the magnets.
Mike in Kentucky

1 week later
#331 9 years ago
Quoted from doghouse:

The "M" lane divider shown is not part of the kit. That goes on the left side out-lane. Not sure why they gave you an extra one of those.

It was determined the ball was jumping in that lane, so they sent us this taller version of the M divider. It is not easy to install with just your fingers. I had to take a small tack hammer and gently tap it into the holes.

2 weeks later
#358 9 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

I just got a 90cm blue chasing led strip that I'll be putting on the right ramp. Keeping my fingers crossed it looks good.

When you get this project completed, please help out a guy too stupid to know how to connect these up! Pictures maybe? I especially need to see WHERE you hook the wires to give it 'juice'. I am afraid of blowing something more than just a fuse.

Thanks!
Mike

#368 9 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

It's really easy Mike,

What a great job you did explaining and taking pictures of this LED addition to your pin! Can't thank you enough! You outlined it PERFECTLY, and now I am convinced I can do it without tearing up anything.

Thank you SO much!!!!!!!!!

Mike in Kentucky

#369 9 years ago
Quoted from pinballpete:

Could you show us where you ordered your LED strip from?

YES! If it is not to much trouble. That way I (we) would know for CERTAIN that we are purchasing the correct thing. Appreciate it if you can do it.
Mike

#378 9 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

Got them from summermotors86 on ebay.

Thanks!!!
Mike

1 month later
#539 9 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Put the spring on the post directly below the one that it comes on. Ball will always fall perfectly out of the pops area to the left and never hit the target if you change that one little thing.

You are correct. I had posted that long ago. DON'T follow the directions that comes with the spring. It was a little tedious but it didn't take me long to put it on. I find it absolutely amazing that this little cheap 'fix' TOTALLY made all the difference in the world to this game! Whoever at Stern thought of it is brilliant.

And truthfully, when I first go it, I said to myself: "And THIS is what Stern is sending me to fix my pin?! What a cheap piece of junk!" Boy, was I wrong!!!
Mike in Kentucky

1 year later
#906 7 years ago
Quoted from Pinstronomy:

if you play long enough can you here kids laughing like on the movie...???

Yes, very prominently. I have one of the original units made in 2010. After all this time, I hear callouts that are absolutely new to my ear. In fact, just today I heard a long one that I had never heard before. 5 plus years have gone by and I have never had ONE problem with this pin. It still looks like it is brand new with no wear on the playfield. This is a sorely under-rated pin.

#907 7 years ago
Quoted from v8torino:

OK the purpose of this post is,can I buy and install a shaker motor with the pro code..just the way it is ?

Yes. That's what I did and it works like a champ. One of the best shaker experiences I've ever had.

2 months later
#937 7 years ago
Quoted from MrBellMan:

I haven't had any real issues with it so far as well.

I have been the sole owner of my Avatar and it is the ONLY pin I've had that has never required ANY repairs at all! It has been SO damned maintenance free!

I truly think that if I ever get rid of all my pins, this Avatar will be the lone survivor! I think I'll keep it until the day I die!

Mike in Kentucky

#942 7 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

Is it a Pro or LE?

It's Pro. The LE's had not come out when I bought mine. I sure would have bought an LE if I had a choice back then.

I'll check out your stuff sometime this weekend. I just got home from a LONG drive, coming from a Florida vacation. I just had to have my Pinside 'fix' before I go to sleep.

2 months later
#1020 7 years ago
Quoted from J85M:

Has anyone installed the rom in their Avatar yet?

Sorry. I must be late for the party, but what ROM? And where do they come from?

Thanks,

Mike in Kentucky

4 weeks later
#1061 7 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

Yes, that's a stock piece.

Well . . . you are ALMOST right, Paul. It IS made by Stern (stock piece from the factory) and it DOES go on the pin in that position. However, the original Avatar pins did not have this on there.

Stern sent me a 'kit' to fix my pin myself after a lot of complaining from owners about the SDTM's and the shallow outlane. Putting that thing on the outlane was terrifying. There were no pilot holes (that I remember) and you had to take a hammer and beat that SOB down into the PF. I was petrified, but you know what? It worked!

Same with that little spring/wire gizmo for up toward the roll over lanes. It came in that same kit (along with a clear plastic piece of Lexan? . . . that went over the ramp at the very far back of the PF to keep balls from jumping out. That little wire thingy was a pain. Stern's instructions were wrong. They were telling us to put it in the wrong place. Took me awhile to figure out where it REALLY went, but I got it on there and it has worked correctly ever since.

#1071 7 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

Did they forget to drill the 2 holes and put it in?

Quoted from DavidPinballWizz:

In the first models there was also a wire guide but a lot lower, in some cases the ball jumped over it.

Memory failed me on this Paul. DavidPinballWizz brought it all back to me. My pin had this small metal piece in that outlane, and yes, the ball jumped it very often. Instructions were to pull that wire out and put this in its place. I still recall being scared to do this. I got some pliers and I began tugging on it, moving it sideways back and forth and then pulled it out just like pulling a tooth. The holes were clean and then I put the new, taller wire in there and had to use the ole hammer to knock it down firmly into the PF. I thought I would damage the PF in this process, but I was surprised with how easy the change-out was.

Mike in Kentucky

1 week later
#1088 7 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

I wish I could go with you.

Yeah, me too!!! I lived in Germany for two years and then I lived for 6 weeks in Crawley, Sussex. It has been MANY years since then. We crossed the Channel either by Hovercraft or by ferry. Those BIG ferrys!!!! I'd like to know how travel is these days. I hope many pictures are taken and Jon has the time to write journal entries along the way. That would help take the boredom out of a long drive. Take a break every once in awhile and post where you are and some nice pictures of things around you.

Mike in Kentucky

#1090 7 years ago
Quoted from J85M:

I will be using the tunnel, its super quick and gives me a chance to put my head down for 30-40minutes

So, you can't drive a car through the tunnel, only put it on a train?

What town is it that you are going to? I might be able to tell you where something interesting is located. Maybe you have no interest at all, but me . . . I would be making this a 3 day trip or more. Since I'm paying for the gas, I would chart me some places to stop and sight-see. I love history, and I enjoy going into the large cathedrals because they are amazing works of art.

Appreciate your feedback.
Mike in Kentucky

1 week later
#1110 7 years ago
Quoted from J85M:

going to be one long haul

Hang in there! Some of us will be riding with you in spirit, trying to keep you company!

Don't forget to drive on the correct side of the road in Germany!

I see you live near Notingham. Please say hello to Robin Hood for me . . .

Mike in Kentucky

2 weeks later
#1140 7 years ago

I put these creatures on the back box head as a poor-man's topper.

And added that giant-ass bird on mine. Whatever the hell it's called . . . sort of 'Pheasant Under Glass'.

Mike in Kentucky

Pinball - Avatar Mod Add-ons 008 (resized).jpgPinball - Avatar Mod Add-ons 008 (resized).jpg

Pinball - Avatar Mod Add-ons 005 (resized).jpgPinball - Avatar Mod Add-ons 005 (resized).jpg

1 month later
#1177 7 years ago
Quoted from J85M:

I am thinking some sort of UV/glow in the dark blue/purple powder coating

WOW! That would be fantastic!!! If you ever find that it can be done, I sure hope you share it on here. I can envision that 'beauty' in my head.

3 months later
#1263 6 years ago
Quoted from PinKopf:

I really need the wire/spring SDTM fix though - nobody knows of a source?

Just call Stern's Tech Support. Talk to Patrick Powers or anyone else who answers in that department and tell them you want the STDM fix kit. Stern provided those for free to everyone who bought the pin. Getting this little kit from them should be easy. It's a little tough to install, but it works perfectly. Unless they changed the installation directions, don't put the spring on the first post they tell you to. It doesn't work correctly there. Drop down to the next post and put it on. If you have any problems, get back on here and maybe I can help you. It's been along time since I put mine on. It's an ingenious little idea and makes a WHALE of a difference in game play.

Mike in Kentucky

#1264 6 years ago
Quoted from joelbob:

anyone have a strong opinion on which post it should be installed on? Top or Bottom?

Ah . . . just read your follow-up post. Yes, the bottom one is best. I tried them both and after talking with Patrick at Stern, I THINK they printed new installation directions telling to put it on the bottom one.

#1273 6 years ago

I'm being redundant here, but I must once again affirm that my Avatar pin would be the LAST one to ever leave my collection. In fact, I think someday I will sell everything I have but keep it and it only! I haven't played my Avatar for a couple of months, so I spent about an hour playing it this evening and it was as thrilling as ever.

I've been playing all my pins lately, and while I enjoy each of them, the Avatar has everything I need for my pinball 'fix' experience. It is such an exciting pin to play with a lot of fast action. Plus, (hope I don't jinx myself here) it NEVER needs repairing! It always works flawlessly. I don't care how many used or NIB pins I have, they all need repair work every time I turn around. Not Avatar! It just keeps on ticking. I'm SO glad I bought this pin!!! Aren't you glad you made the same decision?

2 months later
#1296 6 years ago
Quoted from PinKopf:

What are the amp suit upgrades?

Yeah . . . same question here. I am not aware of any upgrades to the amp suit.

You are going to LOVE this pin! I have had SO many pins . . . the big named ones: Medieval Madness, Twilight Zone, The Walking Dead, The Addams Family, The Simpsons Pinball Party, and many more and all I can tell you is my NIB Avatar Pro will be the last one to ever leave my place.

By the way, adding a sub-woofer to it was the best MOD I've ever done. I've done it to all my other pins too, but for some reason, Avatar can shake my house from that sound!

Thanks,

Mike in Kentucky

#1298 6 years ago
Quoted from wolfy:

Amp suit has a big sword in left hand and a big machine gun in right.

I guess I'm not very observant! Ha. Glad you solved that puzzle for me. I DID put the 'little man' inside the suit.

Yeah . . . I have the shaker in mine too, and again, the only pin that ever came CLOSE to the vibrations this one makes was my Iron Man. I bought mine new in 2010 and it still looks brand new! And while I'm constantly having to fix all my other pins or make adjustments, etc., Avatar just keeps on playing with no problems. I remember when it came out how people said it was a 'cheaply built game', mostly because of the thin wood for the PF. But, it might be cheap but it has been the only pin I've ever had to play flawlessly from Day One!

Thanks for the comments.

Mike

1 month later
#1319 6 years ago
Quoted from Brent1955:

Things go along fine and then I get a screech

I had the same thing to happen when i first got my pin. It was brand new. It didn't 'screech' often but at times it did. I had mine set on the Easiest Play you could do so that the grand kids could enjoy it (and me too! Ha.). I had it set to award an Extra Ball whenever it gave me a Special, and I fixed it where I got LOTS of Extra Balls.

I should have said, keep in mind that when I first set it up I had it on Factory Setting and I never got any screeching noises. It was AFTER I set it all on Easy. I noticed it did it when I had the game rockin' and rollin'. Especially, during multi-ball. And when I earned an Extra Ball, the screech came when it was time for the 'knocker' to sound. I didn't get a knock, I got a "pfffttt screech"!!! It did it several times during the same game.

I called Stern and talked with Patrick Powers about it and after I described it to him he said words to this effect: "It sounds to me that the game is being overloaded at times as you've got so many features going on all at the same time, and then when the knocker kicks in, the sound is distorted." That's when I learned that it didn't have a physical knocker. The knock comes from the sound ROM in the game. I was stunned to hear this news because I had never seen (or heard) anything but a physical knocker in pins before. His explanation seemed plausible. So, I went back into the game and changed a lot of settings. I kept most everything at Easy, but I dropped the Extra Ball percentage back a notch. I have never had a problem with it since then.

Patrick made it sound as though the game needed to be broken in. That once it had some games put on it, it should clear up. That sounded wrong to me, but I knew little about modern pins at that time (2010). I'm thinking Patrick knew something I didn't know. Maybe the pin DID need to have some mileage put on it.

I'm interested in knowing if you have noticed your screech problems come at the same time you are earning a knocker moment.

Keep posting about it. Perhaps the sound ROM needs replacing. But wait for an expert like Mustang Paul to respond to this.
Mike in Kentucky

2 months later
#1343 6 years ago
Quoted from J85M:

I went all the way to Germany for it

I remember this quite well. I kept up with your journey. Sounds like you are bouncing back from all the marital damage. Good for you!!!

Mike in Kentucky

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

4,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Sharonville, OH
5,300 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Monrovia, MD
$ 14.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PR Mods

4,799 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Port Saint Lucie, FL
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
arcade-cabinets.com

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Flagstaff, AZ
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Pintucky.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/avatar-club-open-to-owners-and-the-interested?tu=Pintucky and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.