(Topic ID: 95421)

Avatar Club: Open to Owners and the interested.

By MustangPaul

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,974 posts
  • 178 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 hours ago by jetmechinnc
  • Topic is favorited by 51 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20240416_072824 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
PXL_20240404_201426513 (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20240405-100515 (resized).png
Screenshot_20240405-100523 (resized).png
PXL_20240331_142009964 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240331_141647189 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240326_214238844 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240326_232547775 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240331_141008296 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240331_141002783 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240323_191249121 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240323_191332409 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240318_195546597 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240321_223015108 (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20240321-212313 (resized).png
There are 1,974 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 40.
#101 9 years ago
Quoted from Brads_User_Name:

I have an LE and love it. One of the coolest features are the custom call-outs with actor Stephen Lang...he's perfect at taunting you! Speaking of actors, Zoe S. (Uhura of Star Trek, etc.) confirmed in an article today that they will begin to film Avatar 2, 3 and 4 simultaneously this fall. Imagine that. If I can find the time, I'll try to post some pictures of some custom miniature "gunships" I built for the pin...way too much work, but they turned out pretty cool.

Good to see you here. That is some GREAT news about the new movies. I have the first one on BluRay 3D and it's a KILLER. Must have watched it 20 so far. Post pictures of the Gunships, I' love to see them.

#102 9 years ago

OK here are a couple of pictures of the lit Pod. The led strip is white light and the color temp of the leds really messes with the ccd pick-up in the camera and it looks blue but it is white light. Gonna have to look for a filter for my camera one of these days. It was all pretty straight forward, take apart, paint, hot melt guy into Pod, toss clear plastic that held him in, drill holes in Pod and pf plastics for led wires, attach led strip, route wires and reassemble. Looks really good and for once no left over parts.

IMGA0134.JPGIMGA0134.JPG IMGA0135.JPGIMGA0135.JPG IMGA0136.JPGIMGA0136.JPG IMGA0137.JPGIMGA0137.JPG IMGA0138.JPGIMGA0138.JPG
#103 9 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

and for once no left over parts.

I liked that last line!

EXCELLENT job!!!! And the explanation and pictures were great. Don't waste money on a filter, you did okay without it! Ha.
Mike

#104 9 years ago

Thanks Pintucky. Now to start on the pop caps mod I talked about earlier. Got the parts in today and will go to the hardware store tomorrow to buy one of those cone shaped drill bits that drill ever larger holes and they aint cheap, $30. I did a mock up job on one cap and it looks WOW!! Some may say it's to much but I think it looks GREAT.

#105 9 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

will go to the hardware store tomorrow to buy one of those cone shaped drill bits that drill ever larger holes and they aint cheap

Yes, but just think how much you are doing for the pinball community with this investment!

I can't WAIT to see this!!!

Mike

#106 9 years ago
Quoted from Pintucky:

Yes, but just think how much you are doing for the pinball community with this investment!
I can't WAIT to see this!!!
Mike

Yeah....for the whole 2 people that have been reading my topic.

#107 9 years ago

I am looking forward to seeing what you come up with...!

#108 9 years ago

To give my game a more up to date look here is the new look of my pop covers and how I went about doing it.

First you get (hopefully borrow from a friend cuz they are like $35) a multi diameter drill bit with a max diameter of over 1 inch.

IMGA0139.JPGIMGA0139.JPG

and drill out the center holes to just over 1 inch.

IMGA0140.JPGIMGA0140.JPG

and this is what it will look like. Notice that there are 2 extra bolt holes

IMGA0142.JPGIMGA0142.JPG

those holes have to be at a 90 degree from the factory screw holes so that the new bolts will clear the 2 indents on the pop cup.

IMGA0166.JPGIMGA0166.JPG

here are all 3 that are done.

IMGA0141.JPGIMGA0141.JPG

This is what you will be putting on from the underside of the cap, a mini dome.

IMGA0143-646.JPGIMGA0143-646.JPG

And this is the final product, looks like it came off a 2014 game doesn't it. The bolts that hold it on are #6-1/2 in. stainless steel with nylocks nuts. I wanted to use chrome cap allen head bolts but they are over $2 each and the smallest I could find were #8.

They look great but now I have a REAL problem.......what color domes.

IMGA0144-621.JPGIMGA0144-621.JPG
IMGA0145.JPGIMGA0145.JPG
IMGA0146.JPGIMGA0146.JPG
IMGA0147.JPGIMGA0147.JPG
IMGA0148.JPGIMGA0148.JPG
IMGA0149.JPGIMGA0149.JPG

#109 9 years ago

Looks great! What color lens and LED did you go with?

#110 9 years ago

Wow! That's awesome! Great idea! Great job!!!
Mike

#111 9 years ago

I color matched the bulb with the lens. Here is what they look like on the game.

IMGA0150.JPGIMGA0150.JPG
IMGA0158.JPGIMGA0158.JPG
IMGA0161.JPGIMGA0161.JPG
IMGA0162.JPGIMGA0162.JPG
IMGA0164.JPGIMGA0164.JPG
IMGA0165.JPGIMGA0165.JPG

#112 9 years ago

Now the last challenge is going to be routing out the plastic the sits just above the cap with the red dome. As you know that plastic has to come way down so the only thing to do is grind it away around the dome. The black dot on the plastic is centered on the dome so you get an idea about how much plastic has to come off.

IMGA0168.JPGIMGA0168.JPG IMGA0167.JPGIMGA0167.JPG
#113 9 years ago

The final piece is done. Now I can put the game back together. I haven't played it in 3 weeks so I'm pumped.

IMGA0171.JPGIMGA0171.JPG
#114 9 years ago

Damn! You are a surgeon!!!

#115 9 years ago
Quoted from Pintucky:

Damn! You are a surgeon!!!

Well I wouldn't go quite that far. It's pretty close considering I did it by hand with a dremel and carved it out a little bit at a time. But it's good enough.

#116 9 years ago

Looks great. I'm currently looking for a LE in Canada so I can join the club.

Really nice work

#117 9 years ago

Those look awesome, Paul.. Good thing you are using LED's or your local power company might begin to notice.

#118 9 years ago
Quoted from Jeekayjay:

Looks great. I'm currently looking for a LE in Canada so I can join the club.
Really nice work

I REALLY hope you find one, I'm soooo glad I did. With all the extra lights I put on it it's like a whole different game. Put a post up on PS. Your mind is in the right place so come back and chat anytime.

#119 9 years ago
Quoted from Freeplay40:

Those look awesome, Paul.. Good thing you are using LED's or your local power company might begin to notice.

Yeah, if I would have left the regular bulbs in I probably would have started it on fire by now. Counting all the bulbs in the strips and other bulbs I've added 76 bulbs to the game and I still have the 2 el paper under the translucent cards to put on yet. DANG this is FUN!!

#120 9 years ago

Just got finished installing the el paper apron cards. They look GREAT but the pictures turned out like junk, the ccd in my camera made the card color red.

IMGA0172.JPGIMGA0172.JPG IMGA0173.JPGIMGA0173.JPG IMGA0174.JPGIMGA0174.JPG IMGA0175.JPGIMGA0175.JPG
#121 9 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

ust got finished installing the el paper apron cards.

What is "el paper". I hope I'm not asking a dumb question and it is an abbreviation for something simple!

#122 9 years ago
Quoted from Pintucky:

What is "el paper". I hope I'm not asking a dumb question and it is an abbreviation for something simple!

My spelling will probably be wrong but to read about it google Electroluminecent paper or film. It's really cool stuff and comes in dif. colors too.

#123 9 years ago

The EL paper idea is bad ass dude.

If this were high school I'd ask to sit at your lunch table.

#124 9 years ago
Quoted from PW79:

If this were high school I'd ask to sit at your lunch table.

funny you should say that cuz when I got my new 1970 Grabber Orange Mustang for my last month of Senior High EVERYONE wanted to sit at my table for lunch.

#125 9 years ago
Quoted from Pintucky:

What is "el paper".

I think it's just paper from Mexico.

Quoted from MustangPaul:

Just got finished installing the el paper apron cards.

Is this something you are offering for others at all? I LEDed my Avatar, and I would love to add these cards!

#126 9 years ago
Quoted from Cheeks:

Is this something you are offering for others at all? I LEDed my Avatar, and I would love to add these cards!

paper from Mexico. Good one.

I bought the cards and el paper from Pinballcenter.com in Germany. The cards and paper aren't cheap but it's the only game in town. They have them for a bunch of diff. games.

#127 9 years ago
Quoted from Cheeks:

Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa! That was a damned good laugh, there !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#128 9 years ago

Hey guys, as you know sparky is making the MDM, a couple of you have chimed in and said you'd want one. I think I have convinced him to make it for us. He has just put up a picture of the proto faceplate so take a look and leave your feedback. As you know there aren't many mods out for our game because there weren't many sold so if show sparky by getting involved with the design that we are interested I think we can get it for our game. Avatar is a keeper for me.

Thanks guys.

#129 9 years ago

GREAT news guys, Sparky is doing an Avatar MDM for our game so let's show him our support and get them for our games, I'm getting 2. I just put a Met one on my Met and it's way cool. Oh and the hex standoff did not come with the MDM and he will also start selling the power splitter if you need it which is great cuz ya don't have to order them from another vender so you'll save the shipping cost when ya buy them from Sparky.

IMGA0180.JPGIMGA0180.JPG
IMGA0181.JPGIMGA0181.JPG

#130 9 years ago

Oh hell something else to throw my money at.

These definitely look good on a machine. I just added one to Tron. It looks especially nice there since it uses the same type of screen in the arcade mod. Really balances out nicely on the other side of the playfield.

410A2134.JPG410A2134.JPG
#131 9 years ago

What you doin here, that aint no Avatar!! just kidding, I'll let it slide THIS TIME. Looks great there. Is it close enough do you think? I hope Sparky sells a ton of these. Now one for your Avatar. I've got 2 coming for mine.

#132 9 years ago

Hey guys, I was thinking about changing the apron and getting a design put on the triangular inserts that light up with the flashers so I contacted Gio at the Refinery. He has a metallic blue apron ready to go and asked what design I had in mind for the flasher inserts. I was thinking of the flying creatures (name escapes me at the moment) or something. So I was wondering if you guys have any suggestions. A metallic blue apron would look a lot better then the black one I think. This would be a one off but I was thinking if there was interest maybe we could get a better price, I haven't gotten a price yet. What do you guys think?

#133 9 years ago
Quoted from packetpusher:

I tried LEDs in the inserts but couldn't stand the flicker. I'm considering a LEDOCD but that's a tall investment just to switch to LEDs.

When you see the final effect in person, you will be 110% glad you made the decision to get one. Trust me.

#134 9 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

Hey guys, I was thinking about changing the apron and getting a design put on the triangular inserts that light up with the flashers so I contacted Gio at the Refinery. He has a metallic blue apron ready to go and asked what design I had in mind for the flasher inserts. I was thinking of the flying creatures (name escapes me at the moment) or something. So I was wondering if you guys have any suggestions. A metallic blue apron would look a lot better then the black one I think. This would be a one off but I was thinking if there was interest maybe we could get a better price, I haven't gotten a price yet. What do you guys think?

Blue would look nice. Of course I've never had a problem with the black apron until you brought up the possibility of a blue one. Thanks for that.

#135 9 years ago
Quoted from akm:

When you see the final effect in person, you will be 110% glad you made the decision to get one. Trust me.

Alright that's on my project list now.

#136 9 years ago

Blue would look nice. Of course I've never had a problem with the black apron until you brought up the possibility of a blue one. Thanks for that.

Hey what are Avatar buds for. I'm thinking it's the blue that's on ST, have to see it first. I have the blue legs on my ST Pro that Stern put on Avengers and that compliments the pf PERFECT.

#137 9 years ago

Avatar LE #47 here. Got it in February this year. Came with full LED's (bright enough to warrant wearing welding goggles). It flickered like crazy so I got the LEDOCD product and the flicker is gone. It is now completely chromed out and I have added a ColorDMD. I have mirror blades to add but haven't installed them. Would like to know of other mods that folks have done.

#138 9 years ago
Quoted from Half_Life:

Avatar LE #47 here. Got it in February this year. Came with full LED's (bright enough to warrant wearing welding goggles). It flickered like crazy so I got the LEDOCD product and the flicker is gone. It is now completely chromed out and I have added a ColorDMD. I have mirror blades to add but haven't installed them. Would like to know of other mods that folks have done.

Welcome to the club. You've added some nice mods but what else did you chrome. You can see my mods in earlier posts, I will be getting 2 of Sparkys MDM mods, I just added a Modfather gold leaf shooter knob and am talking to Zdoor about a metalic blue apron with custom flasher insert pictures. The complete apron might be for sale to other Avatar owners if it works out.

#139 9 years ago

Coin door, shooter rod housing and apron have been chromed by Mike Chesnut. Added translucent blue knob on shooter rod as well as lighted flipper buttons (clear buttons with blue led's). I also have a Thanator figure that I am trying to determine a good spot for. Thinking about putting it on the ramp to the left of the pod.

I looked for the LE version for a long time, always missing one when it came up for sale. This one will be in my collection for a long, long time.

#140 9 years ago
Quoted from Half_Life:

Coin door, shooter rod housing and apron have been chromed by Mike Chesnut. Added translucent blue knob on shooter rod as well as lighted flipper buttons (clear buttons with blue led's). I also have a Thanator figure that I am trying to determine a good spot for. Thinking about putting it on the ramp to the left of the pod.
I looked for the LE version for a long time, always missing one when it came up for sale. This one will be in my collection for a long, long time.

That's some nice extra chrome work, got some pictures? Mines going nowhere also.

#141 9 years ago

Here's the apron color I have available. It shown on Star Trek

image.jpgimage.jpg
#142 9 years ago

Thanks Gio. Well what do you guys think? It's a metallic blue and would have an engraving, like the Refinery does on their IM apron, of a Raptor on each of the 2 flasher inserts like in this picture. The creature sure would be nice and big and fit perfectly to.

IMGA0172.JPGIMGA0172.JPG

#143 9 years ago

Crap. I want one for my STLE now.

It should look great on Avatar too. You guys are costing me too much money.

#144 9 years ago

Hey ya can't take it with ya so spend it now and have some fun. This is one mod that will actually add to the game IMO and there are really no mods out there for Avatar so if Gio does it that would make another mod he could offer and we would get a cool mod, a win-win if you ask me.

So I want this mod and am asking if anyone else wants it too. The apron is ready to go but the plastics have to be made. Don't know about a price yet.

#145 9 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

Hey ya can't take it with ya so spend it now and have some fun. This is one mod that will actually add to the game IMO and there are really no mods out there for Avatar so if Gio does it that would make another mod he could offer and we would get a cool mod, a win-win if you ask me.
So I want this mod and am asking if anyone else wants it too. The apron is ready to go but the plastics have to be made. Don't know about a price yet.

Yeah yeah. I'm in.

#146 9 years ago

Yeah yeah. I'm in.

Hey thanks. That makes 2 , who will be #3?

#147 9 years ago

Best look on STLE is Chromed.

#148 9 years ago

I'll have an Avatar some day. Tough game with hard objectives!

#149 9 years ago
Quoted from Zdoor:

Best look on STLE is Chromed.

I have a Refinery chromed on my Pro and it looks WOW!!!

#150 9 years ago
Quoted from DK:

I'll have an Avatar some day. Tough game with hard objectives!

Just make sure it's an LE, waaaay better then the Pro. I LOVE mine.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

5,300 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Monrovia, MD
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Flagstaff, AZ
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

4,799 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Port Saint Lucie, FL
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 14.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

There are 1,974 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 40.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/avatar-club-open-to-owners-and-the-interested/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.