(Topic ID: 95421)

Avatar Club: Open to Owners and the interested.

By MustangPaul

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,979 posts
  • 178 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 days ago by jetmechinnc
  • Topic is favorited by 51 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20240420_082334 (resized).jpg
20240420_080954 (resized).jpg
20240420_080908 (resized).jpg
20240420_080901 (resized).jpg
20240420_081013 (resized).jpg
20240416_072824 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
PXL_20240404_201426513 (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20240405-100515 (resized).png
Screenshot_20240405-100523 (resized).png
PXL_20240331_142009964 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240331_141647189 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240326_214238844 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240326_232547775 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240331_141008296 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240331_141002783 (resized).jpg
There are 1,979 posts in this topic. You are on page 26 of 40.
#1251 6 years ago

https://www.titanpinball.com/kits/index.php/browse/bygame/2501

The manual calls for 38 7/16" OD rings but I only used 7 or 8 so I am not sure where the other 30 go.

I use Titan rings on all my machines

#1252 6 years ago
Quoted from joelbob:

Awesome info! Anyone else use Titan rubbers or have suggestions to avoid/fix the SDTM issues?

Regardless what brand of rubbers you use, white on Avatar are awesome! Translucent are also a great fit but personally white just pop on Avatar.

Wire fix is best, although I'm sure I have seen others use a slightly bigger configuration of post rubbers on the exit from the pops but the spring is best, contact Stern maybe about one?

#1253 6 years ago

Does anyone else have issues with the ball staying up in the pop bumpers for what seems like forever? Any way to turn the coils down to make them less aggressive?

#1254 6 years ago
Quoted from joelbob:

Does anyone else have issues with the ball staying up in the pop bumpers for what seems like forever? Any way to turn the coils down to make them less aggressive?

Hmmmmm what degree is you game leveled at? Off the pf of course.

#1255 6 years ago

Just got a pro myself a few weeks ago. I went with Titan translucents, with blue flipper rubbers. Looks fantastic imo.

I also swapped in Comet LEDs, mostly their Optix super flux or whatever they are called bulbs color-matched for inserts, with a mix of standard natural white and blue flat tops in the gi. Looks great, there is some flickering mainly in attract mode that I'm sure the LED OCD would resolve, not sure I'll get one or not though, I think it looks pretty great as-is... Huge improvement over the stock incandescents.

I really need the wire/spring SDTM fix though - nobody knows of a source? I'm wondering if it's not just an off the shelf spring you could get from a Ace hardware store or similar. Anyone have a good picture of it when not installed?

#1256 6 years ago

IMO you don't need this spring. Just over size and stack the rubbers on the bumper pin exiting the pops on the right side. I went with white and I get a few SDTM but if your paying attention you should be able to nudge it to a flipper.

#1257 6 years ago
Quoted from PinKopf:

Just got a pro myself a few weeks ago. I went with Titan translucents, with blue flipper rubbers. Looks fantastic imo.
I also swapped in Comet LEDs, mostly their Optix super flux or whatever they are called bulbs color-matched for inserts, with a mix of standard natural white and blue flat tops in the gi.

Would love to see some pics of the translucent bands and your results with your LEDs.

#1258 6 years ago

So it turns out I do have the spring "fix" on my game but it was stuck behind the rubber of the post below it. Speaking of which, does anyone have a strong opinion on which post it should be installed on? Top or Bottom? Currently it is installed on the top post but it looks like others have moved it down to the one below it. Has anyone tried both locations and have a preference? thanks!

#1259 6 years ago
Quoted from joelbob:

So it turns out I do have the spring "fix" on my game but it was stuck behind the rubber of the post below it. Speaking of which, does anyone have a strong opinion on which post it should be installed on? Top or Bottom? Currently it is installed on the top post but it looks like others have moved it down to the one below it. Has anyone tried both locations and have a preference? thanks!

It is covered in some depth (with photos) earlier in this thread.

#1260 6 years ago
Quoted from joelbob:

Put the spring on the lower post, it works far better.

There should be a clear plastic washer under the spring and a little metal (swapped mine out for plastic) washer should be provided to go under the clear plastic post to keep the spring and its hook off the playfield.

Picture below from earlier in the thread, hope that saves you some time and helps.

AV (resized).jpgAV (resized).jpg

#1261 6 years ago

So the people I purchased this machine from never once cleaned it in their 6 years of ownership. So far it is cleaning up nicely except for the mylar between the pop bumpers. Dirt is stuck all along the edges of the mylar cut out. Do any of you have any suggestions on how to get rid of the "edge" dirt? If not has anyone ever removed/replaced this mylar? If so how did you do it? Thanks!

#1262 6 years ago
Quoted from joelbob:

So the people I purchased this machine from never once cleaned it in their 6 years of ownership. So far it is cleaning up nicely except for the mylar between the pop bumpers. Dirt is stuck all along the edges of the mylar cut out. Do any of you have any suggestions on how to get rid of the "edge" dirt? If not has anyone ever removed/replaced this mylar? If so how did you do it? Thanks!

Mine was the same. I think the adhesive from the Mylar squeezed out a little and dirt stuck to it. I used a label remover sparingly. Spray a bit on a cloth and then rub it around the edge of the Mylar. Make sure to clean the playfield afterwards as you wouldn't want the label remover to get under the Mylar. Worked great and it now looks like new.

#1263 6 years ago
Quoted from PinKopf:

I really need the wire/spring SDTM fix though - nobody knows of a source?

Just call Stern's Tech Support. Talk to Patrick Powers or anyone else who answers in that department and tell them you want the STDM fix kit. Stern provided those for free to everyone who bought the pin. Getting this little kit from them should be easy. It's a little tough to install, but it works perfectly. Unless they changed the installation directions, don't put the spring on the first post they tell you to. It doesn't work correctly there. Drop down to the next post and put it on. If you have any problems, get back on here and maybe I can help you. It's been along time since I put mine on. It's an ingenious little idea and makes a WHALE of a difference in game play.

Mike in Kentucky

#1264 6 years ago
Quoted from joelbob:

anyone have a strong opinion on which post it should be installed on? Top or Bottom?

Ah . . . just read your follow-up post. Yes, the bottom one is best. I tried them both and after talking with Patrick at Stern, I THINK they printed new installation directions telling to put it on the bottom one.

#1265 6 years ago

Ok Avatar owners I need your opinions, a mod for Avatar.

Below is a picture of STLE and its LED side rails (one of the best features Stern introduced into an LE but have never repeated again).

Obviously the Enterprise is probably the most iconic image from Star Trek...

If Avatar had this same feature, what would you all say is the most iconic part of Avatar? I was thinking the seeds? But what are your thoughts?

stle (resized).jpgstle (resized).jpg

#1266 6 years ago
Quoted from J85M:

If Avatar had this same feature, what would you all say is the most iconic part of Avatar? I was thinking the seeds? But what are your thoughts?

Those dragon thingys!

#1267 6 years ago

I have these installed on my LE (matches the chrome)

IMAG0292 (resized).jpgIMAG0292 (resized).jpg

#1268 6 years ago

Couple shots of mine with translucent rubbers, blue gi bulbs under slings, couple under the lower side plastics and in between the upper lanes. Couple blue around link, maybe near the amp suit also. Natural whites otherwise. I need to experiment with adding a few more, but don't want to color bomb it too badly...

20170810_192703 (resized).jpg20170810_192703 (resized).jpg
20170810_192723 (resized).jpg20170810_192723 (resized).jpg
20170810_192733 (resized).jpg20170810_192733 (resized).jpg

#1269 6 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

Those dragon thingys!

Yeah the Banshee's where my second idea, ideally the design cant be too complicated, the Enterprise on STLE is about as complicated as they can get, I have some prototype Ironman rails I have had cut but not ready to show yet until I can get the lighting figured out.

#1270 6 years ago
Quoted from DavidPinballWizz:

I have these installed on my LE (matches the chrome)

They look nice, but I try to avoid having the pins name repeated too much, its why I have never been a fan of toppers that say the title of the game above the title of the game.

Quoted from PinKopf:

Couple shots of mine with translucent rubbers, blue gi bulbs under slings, couple under the lower side plastics and in between the upper lanes. Couple blue around link, maybe near the amp suit also. Natural whites otherwise. I need to experiment with adding a few more, but don't want to color bomb it too badly...

Beautiful, white or translucent rubbers look stunning on Avatar

#1271 6 years ago
Quoted from PinKopf:

All that blue is to much for me, you lost all that beautiful pf art. I put 4 extra double spot lights on mine with a combo of purple and white, one of each in each double along with natural white 2 smd frosted done bulbs under all the plastics and the pf art just pops. Under the inserts I put 2 smd white clear domes in, like the new Stern games and the facets of the inserts just sparkle. But to each their own.

#1272 6 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

All that blue is to much for me, you lost all that beautiful pf art. I put 4 extra double spot lights on mine with a combo of purple and white, one of each in each double along with natural white 2 smd frosted done bulbs under all the plastics and the pf art just pops. Under the inserts I put 2 smd white clear domes in, like the new Stern games and the facets of the inserts just sparkle. But to each their own.

White is the only colour I put in GI, I don't like all this coloured GI lighting and on Avatar your right Paul, on Avatar bright white GI really makes the playfield pop and it's one of the most beautiful playfields I have owned.

#1273 6 years ago

I'm being redundant here, but I must once again affirm that my Avatar pin would be the LAST one to ever leave my collection. In fact, I think someday I will sell everything I have but keep it and it only! I haven't played my Avatar for a couple of months, so I spent about an hour playing it this evening and it was as thrilling as ever.

I've been playing all my pins lately, and while I enjoy each of them, the Avatar has everything I need for my pinball 'fix' experience. It is such an exciting pin to play with a lot of fast action. Plus, (hope I don't jinx myself here) it NEVER needs repairing! It always works flawlessly. I don't care how many used or NIB pins I have, they all need repair work every time I turn around. Not Avatar! It just keeps on ticking. I'm SO glad I bought this pin!!! Aren't you glad you made the same decision?

#1274 6 years ago
Quoted from J85M:

White is the only colour I put in GI, I don't like all this coloured GI lighting and on Avatar your right Paul, on Avatar bright white GI really makes the playfield pop and it's one of the most beautiful playfields I have owned.

I agree with most machines but I changed my GI in Avatar with several blues, ice blues, and purple with a mix of white and translucent rubbers and think it looks amazing. Looks like your on Pandora. This is the only game I make an exception to colored GI, to each their own.

#1275 6 years ago

I bought an LE due to the beauty of the game alone and the game play kept me wanting more. This is a keeper for a long time now. The game is challenging and fun.

#1276 6 years ago
Quoted from TRAMD:

I bought an LE due to the beauty of the game alone and the game play kept me wanting more. This is a keeper for a long time now. The game is challenging and fun.

A friend of mine had an LE, after putting a bunch of games on it I just had to have one.

#1277 6 years ago
Quoted from Lethal_Inc:

I agree with most machines but I changed my GI in Avatar with several blues and ice blues with a mix of white and translucent runners and think it looks amazing. Looks like your on Pandora. This is the only game I make an exception to colored GI, to each their own.

I would love TimeBandit to come up with a GI mod for Avatar, that way we could get the white GI 90% of the time but also get that Pandora like lighting with the Blue and Greens and Purples

#1278 6 years ago

Would anyone be interested in a GI mod for Avatar if TimeBandit could make it a possibility?

For Seeds mode: blue green and purples with whites twinkling (representing the seeds floating about the playfield) would look awesome!

IMG_4393 (resized).JPGIMG_4393 (resized).JPG

#1279 6 years ago
Quoted from J85M:

Would anyone be interested in a GI mod for Avatar if timebandit could make it a possibility?
For Seeds mode: blue green and purples with whites twinkling (representing the seeds floating about the playfield) would look awesome!

Heeeeck yes! I'm in

#1280 6 years ago

How likely is this to happen?

#1281 6 years ago
Quoted from J85M:

Would anyone be interested in a GI mod for Avatar if timebandit could make it a possibility?

Sounds interesting but I don't know.

#1282 6 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

Sounds interesting but I don't know.

Can't hurt to ask TimeBandit I'll pm him later.

#1283 6 years ago
Quoted from J85M:

Can't hurt to ask timebandit I'll pm him later.

Well yes it could hurt....my wallet.

#1284 6 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

Well yes it could hurt....my wallet.

Paul that's a risk I am willing to take

#1285 6 years ago
Quoted from J85M:

Paul that's a risk I am willing to take

Well then "GOOD BUDDY" would you be a "PALL" and buy me one.

2 months later
#1286 6 years ago

I actually bought an Avatar a few months ago from a local operator. My buddy offered to pay for it and keep it at his house while I get my basement finished.

Anyway, I'm going to pay him for it and it's getting taken this week to a fellow Pinsider's house for a tear down and rebuild. LEDs, flipper / pops rebuild / magnet repair (started locking on and was unplugged) and a thorough cleaning. It's absolutely filthy. He's going to strip the topside, tumble everything, fix anything that's broken and put it all back together.

I can't wait. I've bought a few pins from him over the years and he does a phenomenal job.

I'm excited! I'll have to take some before / after pictures.

#1287 6 years ago
Quoted from Spyderturbo007:

I actually bought an Avatar a few months ago from a local operator. My buddy offered to pay for it and keep it at his house while I get my basement finished.
Anyway, I'm going to pay him for it and it's getting taken this week to a fellow Pinsider's house for a tear down and rebuild. LEDs, flipper / pops rebuild / magnet repair (started locking on and was unplugged) and a thorough cleaning. It's absolutely filthy. He's going to strip the topside, tumble everything, fix anything that's broken and put it all back together.
I can't wait. I've bought a few pins from him over the years and he does a phenomenal job.
I'm excited! I'll have to take some before / after pictures.

WOW that's quite the deal, Pro or LE.

#1288 6 years ago

It's a Pro. It was routed all its life, but there isn't any playfield wear. The cabinet is a little dinged up, but that doesn't bother me. Once it's all cleaned up, it should be really pretty. At the end of the day, I'll have much less in it compared to what I see them selling for in the marketplace.

#1289 6 years ago

Avatar seems really a mediocre game but it's the game I shout at the most and always have a thrill playing it.

#1290 6 years ago

It's a Pro. It was routed all its life, but there isn't any playfield wear. The cabinet is a little dinged up, but that doesn't bother me. Once it's all cleaned up, it should be really pretty. At the end of the day, I'll have much less in it compared to what I see them selling for in the marketplace.

Do you mod your games? If so a powered sub woofer, OCD board, led the pf, my Leg Light-Ups and beatmasters shooter housing light up are gret mods for this title. Just scan the past pages for pictures for mod ideas.

#1291 6 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

Do you mod your games? If so a powered sub woofer, OCD board, led the pf, my Leg Light-Ups and beatmasters shooter housing light up are gret mods for this title. Just scan the past pages for pictures for mod ideas.

Some of them I do, but not all. I did my Metallica and TWD, but none of the others. I'll definitely go back and check out the pictures. I'm interested to see what everyone has done.

#1292 6 years ago

Some of them I do, but not all. I did my Metallica and TWD, but none of the others. I'll definitely go back and check out the pictures. I'm interested to see what everyone has done.

I see. I've done a lot of mods on my LE. By looking through the pages you can see who did what mod to their game so you can contact them if need be.

#1293 6 years ago

Picked up a nice clean well modded pro. The game is way more fun than I thought it would be. Pinball pro speakers, under cabinet lighting, topper, mirror blades , color coded LED'S, several figures added to playfield, blue lighted flipper buttons, shaker, green plastic protectors, amp suit upgrades, and leg protectors.

avatar 1 (resized).jpgavatar 1 (resized).jpg

#1294 6 years ago
Quoted from wolfy:

Picked up a nice clean well modded pro. The game is way more fun than I thought it would be. Pinball pro speakers, under cabinet lighting, topper, mirror blades , color coded LED'S, several figures added to playfield, blue lighted flipper buttons, green plastic protectors, amp suit upgrades, and leg protectors. It looks better than an LE.

Welcome to the club. Like I told Spyderturbo007 check out the pictures for mod ideas. Have fun with your new game.

#1295 6 years ago

What are the amp suit upgrades? I wasn't aware of any mods for the suit (beyond adding the Colonel figure inside). I've thought about pulling it out and maybe trying my hand at paint upgrades to make it look better, but...

#1296 6 years ago
Quoted from PinKopf:

What are the amp suit upgrades?

Yeah . . . same question here. I am not aware of any upgrades to the amp suit.

You are going to LOVE this pin! I have had SO many pins . . . the big named ones: Medieval Madness, Twilight Zone, The Walking Dead, The Addams Family, The Simpsons Pinball Party, and many more and all I can tell you is my NIB Avatar Pro will be the last one to ever leave my place.

By the way, adding a sub-woofer to it was the best MOD I've ever done. I've done it to all my other pins too, but for some reason, Avatar can shake my house from that sound!

Thanks,

Mike in Kentucky

#1297 6 years ago

Amp suit has a big sword in left hand and a big machine gun in right. It is hard to see on the picture unless you blow it up. I don't think these came on game. I also have a shaker which is great on the pin. I agree Pintucky as I have a lot of top games that I love but this game is just pure fast fun.

#1298 6 years ago
Quoted from wolfy:

Amp suit has a big sword in left hand and a big machine gun in right.

I guess I'm not very observant! Ha. Glad you solved that puzzle for me. I DID put the 'little man' inside the suit.

Yeah . . . I have the shaker in mine too, and again, the only pin that ever came CLOSE to the vibrations this one makes was my Iron Man. I bought mine new in 2010 and it still looks brand new! And while I'm constantly having to fix all my other pins or make adjustments, etc., Avatar just keeps on playing with no problems. I remember when it came out how people said it was a 'cheaply built game', mostly because of the thin wood for the PF. But, it might be cheap but it has been the only pin I've ever had to play flawlessly from Day One!

Thanks for the comments.

Mike

#1299 6 years ago

I wonder how the Pinstadium would make this look.

#1300 6 years ago
Quoted from wolfy:

Picked up a nice clean well modded pro. The game is way more fun than I thought it would be. Pinball pro speakers, under cabinet lighting, topper, mirror blades , color coded LED'S, several figures added to playfield, blue lighted flipper buttons, shaker, green plastic protectors, amp suit upgrades, and leg protectors.

Where did you get the green plastic protectors? They look pretty cool.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Flagstaff, AZ
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PR Mods

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

4,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bakersfield, CA
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

$ 8.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
arcade-cabinets.com

4,799 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Port Saint Lucie, FL
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

5,300 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Monrovia, MD
$ 14.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 1,979 posts in this topic. You are on page 26 of 40.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/avatar-club-open-to-owners-and-the-interested/page/26 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.