(Topic ID: 95421)

Avatar Club: Open to Owners and the interested.

By MustangPaul

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,959 posts
  • 178 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 hour ago by Falc0nWing
  • Topic is favorited by 50 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

PXL_20240318_195556834 (resized).jpg
IMG_9126 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9127 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9125 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9124 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9123 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9128 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4370 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4367 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4366 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4369 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4368 (resized).jpeg
20231204_211401 (resized).jpg
IMG_9013 (resized).jpeg
A42682D0-25BE-4C58-BD41-99694551F6FF (resized).jpeg
1F6FF4D9-168C-4A2D-99B0-BA3E6BF80F06 (resized).jpeg

There are 1,959 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 40.
#1 9 years ago

I got my Avatar LE last night and when I did a Pinside search I couldn't find a Avatar club so I thought I'd start one where owners and the interested could come and talk about the game. Mine is #121 and in beautiful shape save for a one inch long scratch on the left side of the cab. It has an upgraded speaker kit and you'd swear the shaker is active all the time. LOL Also has the warm filter over the light in the bb and the anti SDTM mod. Question, is the OCD board the only solution for the pf insert strobing?

That's all I have for now, I hope to see more owners and the interested come and share in the fun.

1 week later
#2 9 years ago

Had my Avatar just over 2 weeks and I know it's still early days but loving it so far. Really like the music, sound fx and the call outs are great. Fast game with a good light show and things can get pretty frantic during AMP multiball.

IMAG0229.jpgIMAG0229.jpg
#3 9 years ago
Quoted from Jumbosinbad360:

Had my Avatar just over 2 weeks and I know it's still early days but loving it so far. Really like the music, sound fx and the call outs are great. Fast game with a good light show and things can get pretty frantic during AMP multiball.

IMAG0229.jpg 231 KB

Welcome to the club. Do you have LED's in the inserts?

#4 9 years ago

Im enjoying mine. I just picker it up last week. Number 132. The gi looks awesome in blue purple and green.

#5 9 years ago
Quoted from nocreditdot:

Im enjoying mine. I just picker it up last week. Number 132. The gi looks awesome in blue purple and green.

Welcome to you also. For a while there I thought I was the only Avatar owner out there. My GI is blue on the left and purple on the right. I've also added 4 double spot lights and relocated the 2 stock spot lights. I play mine in the dark and these extra spots really light up the pf.

#6 9 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

Welcome to the club. Do you have LED's in the inserts?

Yeah. LED's in the inserts, and GI. Looks amazing in the dark.

Here's a short video of it...

#7 9 years ago

I want an Avatar LE someday, I keep missing out timing when I see them for sale. I either am out of space and/or money. I will own one someday for sure, hopefully sooner rather than later.

#8 9 years ago

I owned an Avatar pro for over a year. It really is a fun and underrated pin IMHO. If you're interested, here's a few Avatar related threads I started:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/avatar-mods-take-another-look

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/why-does-avatar-suck

...and for the record, I do not think Avatar sucks.

#9 9 years ago
Quoted from SunKing:

I owned an Avatar pro for over a year. It really is a fun and underrated pin IMHO. If you're interested, here's a few Avatar related threads I started:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/avatar-mods-take-another-look
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/why-does-avatar-suck
...and for the record, I do not think Avatar sucks.

Read and I still love my LE. I get a kick out of defeating the Amp Suit and it falls down. I just wonder why my inserts flicker and others don't. Could it be that ALL the inserts have to have led's in them before they stop flickering? I REALLY like what you did to your Amp Suit, it looks so real. Great job. I put another double spot light on last night, on the screw just above the left spinner. Now have a total of 4 doubles and 2 singles.

#10 9 years ago
Quoted from bemmett:

I want an Avatar LE someday, I keep missing out timing when I see them for sale. I either am out of space and/or money. I will own one someday for sure, hopefully sooner rather than later.

There's only 250 out there so I wish you luck in your search.

#11 9 years ago

How many out there have the neutral density filter (I think that's what it is) over the flor. bulb in the bb. I do and the tl colors look better.

#12 9 years ago

I tried LEDs in the inserts but couldn't stand the flicker. I'm considering a LEDOCD but that's a tall investment just to switch to LEDs. This seems like a perfect fit though since the flicker is from the game software driving incandescents. It just wasn't designed for LEDs. I'd love to hear from anyone that tries it out though with a LEDOCD.

#13 9 years ago

I have a pro and it gets the most plays over all my games. I have never made it to wizard mode.

Ham Soup Jackpot!

#14 9 years ago

Bought a LE NIB and still love it.

#15 9 years ago

I bought one of the first Avatars produced. Got it in the Fall of 2010. While others have said it was a worthless game, I feel the very opposite. I've owned about 20 pins now, most are Top Listers, and Avatar holds its own and is popular with those who play my pins! In fact, I think if I sold all my pins and could only keep one, it would be Avatar.

One of the things I like about it is, this is the only pin I own that I don't have to repair all the time! It was a brilliantly thought out game and mine seems to have been constructed perfectly. Never had a problem!

I have put all LED's in mine and it is awesome looking. I can't explain it fully here, but I have put a large LED (purple) under the white insert area of the AMP suite, and when you hit it for multi-ball, it keeps the white light flashing but the purple also works. At times during game play, it is all purple, and then reverts back to white. I didn't plan it that way, but it sure looks great when it happens.

I put the blue DMD in mine, hooked it up to a large powered sub-woofer, and installed the 'big bird' on the PF. I could go on and on about this pin, but to those who know it and love it, you know everything i'm feeling!
Mike in Kentucky
Pinball - Avatar Mod Add-ons 008.jpgPinball - Avatar Mod Add-ons 008.jpg
Pinball - Avatar Mod Add-ons 006.jpgPinball - Avatar Mod Add-ons 006.jpg
Pinball - Avatar Mod Add-ons 005.jpgPinball - Avatar Mod Add-ons 005.jpg

#17 9 years ago
Quoted from Pintucky:

I have put all LED's in mine and it is awesome looking.

and you get no flicker in the inserts?

#18 9 years ago
Quoted from Pintucky:

I can't explain it fully here, but I have put a large LED (purple) under the white insert area of the AMP suite, and when you hit it for multi-ball, it keeps the white light flashing but the purple also works. At times during game play, it is all purple, and then reverts back to white. I didn't plan it that way, but it sure looks great when it happens.

There are 3 flashers there so do you have the purple one in the big center insert and one white to either side?

#19 9 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

There are 3 flashers there so do you have the purple one in the big center insert and one white to either side?

Oh dear! It has been so long ago, I can't remember what I did! I know I have the purple LED in the big center insert, and I guess that means I left the original incandescent lamps on the sides.

As for the flicker issue, no . . . I have never had that. But I also don't have the LE version, which I think you do.

I put blue LED's under the inserts down by the flippers . . . the 7 or so that go right up the middle. That one thing alone really dressed this pin up! That was the first thing I did to it, and it is what got me inspired to do the entire pin.

#20 9 years ago

I had never seen the game in person before our group had our Pinball BBQ (I'm sure you've all heard about it) this Spring. I saw Steve's LE from across the room and what drew me to it like a magnet was the 3D tl. I stopped in front of the game and just stared at it like a deer caught in headlights. It was the most interesting tl I had ever seen. After a minute or two I (noticed) the rest of the game all blue and chrome. I must have looked over the game for 5 minutes before I pressed the start button, plunged the first ball and was greeted with a 20 second pop bumper action FRENZY. I'm a sucker for great pop bumper action and knew right then and there I had to have the game. It will NOT!!! be going anywhere!!!

#21 9 years ago
Quoted from Pintucky:

As for the flicker issue, no . . . I have never had that. But I also don't have the LE version, which I think you do.

Yes I have the LE, that makes for an interesting question...does the Pro not flicker while the LE does. I read the LE has slightly different rules then the Pro, I wonder if that has anything to do with the flicker. I'm just thinking out loud here so don't mind me.

#23 9 years ago

Anyone ever get to the wizard mode.

It's brutal to get there.

Navi multiball seems to be the key. Get it completed and u have a shot.

#24 9 years ago

I have it a week. I had all the people collected once. But, I cant get to the wizard mode yet. It is a real ass kicker. I changed the rubber to white and waxed the playfield with carnuba. Its brutally fun.

#25 9 years ago
Quoted from DougPiranha:

Anyone ever get to the wizard mode.
It's brutal to get there.
Navi multiball seems to be the key. Get it completed and u have a shot.

I think that's why the game isn't rated very high, people are so frustrated because they can't get to the wizard mode so they give the game a low rating.

#26 9 years ago
Quoted from nocreditdot:

I changed the rubber to white and waxed the playfield

I do too, they are a MUST on this game. It just looks soooo much better.

#27 9 years ago

Does anyone have an LE for sale in the Michigan/Midwest? Looking to get back in the club! I have a HUO Elvis full LEDs in mint shape for trade. Thanks.

#28 9 years ago
Quoted from Zampinator:

Does anyone have an LE for sale in the Michigan/Midwest? Looking to get back in the club! I have a HUO Elvis full LEDs in mint shape for trade. Thanks.

Gonna have to put up a WTB post. Since only 250 were made you will have to let an owner know your on the look-out.

#29 9 years ago

I have to say I think all to Borg games rock

Tron
Iron Man
X-Men

and Metallica which I need to play

Great fricken games!

#30 9 years ago

AFM, MM, TAF, and TZ...great games but, I would take the Sterns

I love the way the newer games play.

#31 9 years ago
Quoted from DougPiranha:

AFM, MM, TAF, and TZ...great games but, I would take the Sterns
I love the way the newer games play.

Me too. The only thing I don't like about Avatar is that you can't put led's in the inserts. I love the way the inserts "sparkle" with the white clear dome led's in my ST and Mustang. It makes the game look so modern and Avatar would look great with them in.

#32 9 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

Gonna have to put up a WTB post. Since only 250 were made you will have to let an owner know your on the look-out.

Will do. I used to own LE#27 NIB. Should've never sold it. Wife's all time favorite pin.

#33 9 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

Me too. The only thing I don't like about Avatar is that you can't put led's in the inserts

I put LED's in mine. I had some flicker, but it wasn't bad at all. These were Cointaker supers. Have you tried the non-ghosting LED's?

DSC02544.jpgDSC02544.jpg
#34 9 years ago

I had Coin Taker premium non ghosting, I didn't have any flickering.

image.jpgimage.jpg image-428.jpgimage-428.jpg
#35 9 years ago
Quoted from SunKing:

I put LED's in mine. I had some flicker, but it wasn't bad at all. These were Cointaker supers. Have you tried the non-ghosting LED's?

DSC02544.jpg 74 KB

Yup tried them all and my game flickers something bad. Most if not all of Avatars inserts are meant to fade on and off to get nice sweeping/fading patterns which I really like. I just wish the incandescents were brighter.

#36 9 years ago

I am going to try some of the Comet Ghost busters in mine and see. I really enjoy the game so far.

#37 9 years ago

I think Avatar is a very complete game. I seldom get tired of playing it.

But my pin doesn't like me! EVERY TIME I get "Navi scoring", my ball drains straight down the middle! I played today and got it 3 times in one game. Each and every time, the moment the pin announced "Navi scoring", I didn't hit anything else and all 3 balls went SDTM!!!

#38 9 years ago

I love avatar and it is by far the most frequently played game in my collection. We have put over 5000 plays on it since we bought it nib direct off of amazon in early April 2011. I would lose TAF and LOTR before ditching avatar! I've always wondered if we love it because it's our first game... If so would we have loved RCT had that been our first? Also i just missed wizard mode. I had everything lit except for navi and I had all but completed it...image.jpgimage.jpg

#39 9 years ago
Quoted from Pintucky:

I think Avatar is a very complete game. I seldom get tired of playing it.
But my pin doesn't like me! EVERY TIME I get "Navi scoring", my ball drains straight down the middle! I played today and got it 3 times in one game. Each and every time, the moment the pin announced "Navi scoring", I didn't hit anything else and all 3 balls went SDTM!!!

HaHa.....that's happened to me a couple of times too. Keep trying though.

#40 9 years ago
Quoted from edwinpblue:

I love Avatar and it is by far the most frequently played game in my collection. We have put over 5000 plays on it since we bought it nib direct off of amazon in early April 2011. I would lose TAF and LOTR before ditching Avatar! I've always wondered if we love it because it's our first game... If so would we have loved RCT had that been our first? Also i just missed Avatar. I had everything lit except for navi and I had all but completed it...

image.jpg 171 KB

Nice to see ya here edwinpblue, nice to see an original owner especially for how old this game is. Is yours a Pro or LE?

#41 9 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

Nice to see ya here edwinpblue, nice to see an original owner especially for how old this game is. Is yours a Pro or LE?

Mine is the pro. I've considered upgrading to an LE but each time I decide against it if for no other reason than I am completely satisfied with the pro!

#43 9 years ago

Still love Avatar. Glad to see you picked up an LE Paul. Interested to hear the fix for ghosting inserts.

So what is up with the garage photos? You adding on?

#44 9 years ago
Quoted from MnHotRod:

Still love Avatar. Glad to see you picked up an LE Paul. Interested to hear the fix for ghosting inserts.
So what is up with the garage photos? You adding on?

Hey Steve, after I saw and played yours I fell in love and had to have it....it's all your fault. Only fix I know of is the OCD, no bulb I've tried worked, they all flickered. Yeah a nice 12x21 addition that will be used as a work shop because it has a wood floor but the garage is all open, no wall between the addition and the garage, going to have final inspection this week then wired and spray foam insulated. Garage is now 24x36....it's about 120sq ft bigger then the main floor of my house.

IMGA0093.JPGIMGA0093.JPG IMGA0084.JPGIMGA0084.JPG IMGA0092.JPGIMGA0092.JPG
#45 9 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

Yup tried them all and my game flickers something bad. Most if not all of Avatars inserts are meant to fade on and off to get nice sweeping/fading patterns which I really like. I just wish the incandescents were brighter.

You should seriously think about installing one of herg's LED OCD controllers in the game. I put one in my Avatar LE, and it made a huge difference!

#46 9 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

You should seriously think about installing one of herg's LED OCD controllers in the game. I put one in my Avatar LE, and it made a huge difference!

Oh I know it would but I have to spend the money on getting the garage done before the snow fly's.

#47 9 years ago

Just saw that Pinside member pin15 has an LE for sale in the Market Place. $4600. (disclaimer) I don't know him or the game.

#48 9 years ago

Where can you get the OCD controller?

I think one of the best parts of the game is the quality of sound and variety of call outs. Even more then Tron / IM , I always seem to hear a call out that I have never heard before. I put an FF speaker system in my game and as expected it made a great improvement.

I recently had a chance to trade mine for a very nice game and just could not pull the trigger. My wife also likes the game so it most likely will not be leaving for that reason as well.

It is interesting how people trash this game but love IM. Just because of one ramp? I am not sure how this is not in the top 100, especially the LE. Maybe I am influenced because the game personally taunts me " I don't think you have enough balls , Sully".

#50 9 years ago

Has anyone lit up the pod? I am thinking of putting a led strip under Jake
However there doesnt seem to be a good place to run the wires.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 76.00
Lighting - Backbox
Arcade Upkeep
Backbox
$ 6.00
Playfield - Protection
Apron Envy
Protection
There are 1,959 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 40.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/avatar-club-open-to-owners-and-the-interested and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.