Topic Stats

• 46 posts
  • 19 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Rarehero
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 12 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

image.jpg
DSC02544.jpg
DSC02594.jpg
Jake+Avatar+Banshee+Viperwolf.png
Gun_switch_cover.jpeg
DSCN0592.JPG
DSCN0591.JPG
DSCN0590.jpg
CIMG4821.JPG
Jake_Sully_Link.jpg
Jake_Sully_Link.jpg

#1 6 years ago

I've had my buddy's Avatar (Pro) in a temp trade for several months, and he decided to sell it. I've been enjoying it even more than Tron, so I decided to buy it. I like almost everything about Avatar - it's very similar to IM in gameplay, but with a totally different layout. LOVE the music and audio. The only change I'd make is to have a 5-second ball save after hitting the Ampsuit target. It seems awfully prone to a center drain after a solid hit. I kinda wish it had been implemented as a captive ball, like Eywa.

I'm planning to replace the Jake-in-a-box with Jake in his wheelchair, with his Avatar standing behind him. This was one of the better movie subplots: an ex-marine gets his legs back (sort of). I'd love to put a Leonopteryx on the playfield, but I think it's too big. The banshee looks pretty sweet swooping down over the ramp, but it's not as colorful.

Avatar is one of Stern's hidden gems. Just like Congo, I think it will be more sought after in 10 years. Ball times are short, but I've come very close to Final Battle several times. I find it just as addictive to play as IM, but without the hefty price tag.

#2 6 years ago

I agree and really like the game a lot,I have see games that were not very popular like RBION gain great deal of love over the years and i think that will happen with this title

#3 6 years ago

Goodbye salad bar, hello Jake Sully...

Jake_Sully_Link.jpg

#4 6 years ago

I know this scene doesn't exactly make sense (Jake's Avatar can't be active unless Jake is lying down), but I think it conveys the "Link" shot a lot better than the pod. I also decided to add a viperwolf, to give the scene some action. I like it...I just hope the torch will stay in his hand.

#5 6 years ago

Avatar has been on my Radar for about a year now.Whats the going price for used vs nib ???

#6 6 years ago

New is around 4500 shipped; used is 3000-3500 depending on condition. The new run may have better cabinet art, so take that into consideration.

#7 6 years ago

Avatar has got some bad raps, but I LOVE mine!
Mike in Kentucky

#8 6 years ago

Looking at picking one up also.......don't know why but it just interests me

#9 6 years ago

I own a pro and absolutely love it. Theme and overall audio package is excellent. I put a Navi ball in even though it has no double scoring, but sure is fast. I added a Colonel Q and other avatar and the big black panther. I'll post a pic of it tomorrow when I get a chance to take a couple.

#10 6 years ago

I maybe on a lead on avatar
Is there any essential mods all i can think of is
Leds
Backbox lighting mod
And figurines
What else

#11 6 years ago

Try doing the pop bumper mod it makes a big difference,Google Avater mods

#12 6 years ago

l also added some leds to the transporter and a Thanator over the ramp

CIMG4821.JPG

#13 6 years ago

Nice looking, do you wish it had another ramp?

#14 6 years ago

I passed on a LE a few months back and regret it still.
It's a fun game.

#15 6 years ago
Quoted from rockrand:

l also added some leds to the transporter and a Thanator over the ramp

Hey Rockrand,
Where did you get the 6 LEDs from?

#16 6 years ago
Quoted from Mato:

Nice looking, do you wish it had another ramp?

There are advantages to having only one ramp. It makes the game harder because there's only one shot that returns the ball to the flippers. It creates more space for the shots on the right, which are all great. And finally it makes the whole game feel more open.

All that said, I do wish the ramp returned the ball to the opposite flipper.

#17 6 years ago

I used some led's from a X mem mod from Hemi

#18 6 years ago

Here are a couple of pics of mine.

DSCN0590.jpg DSCN0591.JPG DSCN0592.JPG

#19 6 years ago
Quoted from bub2010:

Here are a couple of pics of mine.

Nice, you can really tell how much the blue LEDs help those purple Navi inserts. I've got a banshee mounted where your Navi guy is, but I like him. I'll post some pics tomorrow...

#20 6 years ago

Thanks. Before I got mine I had only seen videos and played an LE (which I believe the LE's factory didn't have LED's). I had forgotten how dim and lackluster some of the lighting looked until I just recently went to PAPA and a stock avatar pro about made me puke in comparison. Funny how I like Incandescent on some and LED on others, but I think given the 'right' LED selection ANY pin can look as good or better than stock with LED's. FWIW that Na'vi character is this guy... amazon.com link » I have his staff just high enough that the ball rolls under it in the orbit loop.

I'd love to have one of the great leonoptrix's hanging in the back, but that seems like it would be a real pain. I'd like to put the viper wolves on the pop bumpers maybe one day. Oh yea.. FWIW in order to place the Thanator on the left side like that you need to remove the legs from the right side of the body or it won't fit in there. I like it over the ramp though too.

2 weeks later
#21 6 years ago

Here are a few more pics of my mods. More lighting mods are coming, but I think I'll stick with this configuration for the figures. I put my Thanator on the backbox.

[EDIT: sorry about the upload problems]

Gun_switch_cover.jpeg Jake+Avatar+Banshee+Viperwolf.png

#22 6 years ago

Has anyone lit up the inside of the AMPsuit? My wife asked "why doesn't that robot have a head?". I think if she could see Quarritch in there it would help.

#23 6 years ago

I owned an Avatar Pro for a little over a year, and REALLY enjoyed it. I also did a few mods - a couple pics below. Here's the full thread if you want to see more:

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/avatar-mods-take-another-look

Avatar has been getting more love recently, but when I owned it it seems like everyone hated it. I really wanted to understand why, so I started this thread...

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/why-does-avatar-suck

If I had more room and $$, I'd be happy to own it again.

DSC02594.jpg DSC02544.jpg

#24 6 years ago

I have had Avatar since it came out, still a favorite in my collection and my friends will agree. It gets a ton of play time. Granted when it first came out I wasn't sure (just like TRON or ACDC) but with the new code, this game rocks. Hell I don't even care for the movie.

But I cannot believe more people are not ordering these NIB while they are still available. Seems the shuffle is over, and everyone that has one is holding it (cuz its fun). So I keep hearing of people who are wanting to get this game...get one! You wont regret it.

#25 6 years ago

I don't see avatar selling for $3000. $3500? maybe if it needs to be shopped. yes I own one. no mine is not for sale. it gets more playing time than LOTR, TAF and ACDC. combined.

#26 6 years ago

Stern is doing another run from what I heard. If there are NIB ones still out there they are probably $4200-4500. Mine was around $3400-$3500 HUO used with LED's and the extra figures I later put in. Mine also has the lollipop style button protectors and added Navi ball currently. I recently got a totally pimped ACDC pro and even though I like it a lot if I had to sell one tomorrow it would have to be ACDC.... I will say that I am getting to like ACDC almost equally. ACDC will make you a better Avatar player....it almost has a Solo-mo feel after some Angus action.

3 months later
#27 6 years ago

Picked up an Avatar LE last weekend. Will be looking at mods for the game. Post up if you have them!

#28 6 years ago

Blue DMD is a major improvement and a subwoofer makes a big difference as we'll.image.jpg

4 weeks later
#29 5 years ago

Made a trip to Cherryville, NC yesterday. Look what followed me home. Yes, I'm gonna keep him. Avatar LE #47. Only had 205 plays on it. I have been looking for one of these for a long time. First mod on the plate for this - blue DMD.

1 year later
#30 4 years ago

Any difference between the LE and the pro??

1 week later
#31 4 years ago

It is about as little as it gets... playfield is all the same. An animated "coffin" instead of static and a mech that does just a bit more moving when it moves... that is about it. Gameplay the only difference is the NAVI ball which is ceramic and double scores... you can put on in your machine just for the extra fast play, but it won't double score in the Pro model... that being said... double scoring does not change the actual game play per say other than being that the ceramic ball is damn quick. That being said I've played both units before and after purchase and don't miss anything the LE has. FWIW the LE and the Pro NEITHER have a shaker or LED's... so you're not getting anything different on that front. Chrome trim and a different style lockdown bar, but that has nothing to do with gameplay either.

#32 4 years ago
Quoted from bub2010:

It is about as little as it gets... playfield is all the same. An animated "coffin" instead of static and a mech that does just a bit more moving when it moves... that is about it. Gameplay the only difference is the NAVI ball which is ceramic and double scores... you can put on in your machine just for the extra fast play, but it won't double score in the Pro model... that being said... double scoring does not change the actual game play per say other than being that the ceramic ball is damn quick. That being said I've played both units before and after purchase and don't miss anything the LE has. FWIW the LE and the Pro NEITHER have a shaker or LED's... so you're not getting anything different on that front. Chrome trim and a different style lockdown bar, but that has nothing to do with gameplay either.

Hi I'm getting a Pro soon, and know if I add a Naviball, I won't get double scoring...but is it true that on the LE you can attack the con Quarritch with navi ball and magnet has no effect...if so, can same fun be had on the pro?....besides the cool looking TZ ball! Ha ha!

#33 4 years ago

I had forgotten, but yea.. the magnet has no effect... I think someone mentioned before that this is how the game knows is it double scored... something about a sensor that if it does not detect metal at the start of the ball it knows it is the NAVI ball. Yes.. when you hit the amp suit it does not stick to the magnet. It is actually harder since when you hit the amp suit switch instead of getting the normal magnet diversion it typically seems to go toward a center drain.. If you put all of those in the machine instead of the standard balls it would be INSANE! Any machine for that matter. I've never tried to put it in my ACDC.. heh.. out to try that sometime.

1 year later
#34 3 years ago
Quoted from loanguy7171973:

Blue DMD is a major improvement and a subwoofer makes a big difference as we'll.

I know this is an old thread.....I'd love one of these blue DMDs, where can I get one?

#35 3 years ago
Quoted from bub2010:

Interesting, Of course I like the metal lockdown/side trim, old school, but I think the Avatar looks better in the black.

#36 3 years ago
Quoted from Half_Life:

Made a trip to Cherryville, NC yesterday. Look what followed me home. Yes, I'm gonna keep him. Avatar LE #47. Only had 205 plays on it. I have been looking for one of these for a long time. First mod on the plate for this - blue DMD.

How do you find out if its a Pro or LE, and the number?

#37 3 years ago
Quoted from pinbuoy:

I'd love one of these blue DMDs, where can I get one?

I got mine from Rob Anthony at a very good price. ("Borygard" on Pinside)
Don't know if he still sells them or not. But I would try him first.

His email and his phone number: borygard@gmail.com 314-766-4587

Tell him I sent ya!

Mike in Kentucky

#38 3 years ago
Quoted from SunKing:

I owned an Avatar Pro for a little over a year, and REALLY enjoyed it. I also did a few mods - a couple pics below. Here's the full thread if you want to see more:
http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/avatar-mods-take-another-look
Avatar has been getting more love recently, but when I owned it it seems like everyone hated it. I really wanted to understand why, so I started this thread...
http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/why-does-avatar-suck
If I had more room and $$, I'd be happy to own it again.

Love the blue on the character names down the center, I'm copying that, and the NAVI lights, the inserts look purple, I hope the blue shows up like it did on yours

#39 3 years ago

I have a few more questions, do these games have an attract mode where it plays music and maybe quotes like a WPC pin would?
Also I have all my options set to credit instead of extra ball, so why does the DMD say "extra ball at xx,tbd" score?

Thanks

#40 3 years ago
Quoted from pinbuoy:

I know this is an old thread.....I'd love one of these blue DMDs, where can I get one?

You don't need one anymore. You can get a ColorDMD for the game now.

#41 3 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

I think I'd like the blue better, thanks

#42 3 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

how much are the color ones?
is there some kind of code change that needs to happen?
How does that all work?

Thanks

#43 3 years ago
Quoted from pinbuoy:

I think I'd like the blue better, thanks

You like monochrome better than full color?
Even if you just wanted blue, the LED ColorDMD would be your best looking option as monochrome blue LED displays will have visible gridlines from the segments. LED ColorDMD has no grids.

Quoted from pinbuoy:

how much are the color ones?
is there some kind of code change that needs to happen?
How does that all work?
Thanks

www.colordmd.com

LED display is $369
LCD display is $399
Only code you need is for the display, which is downloadable on their website.

#44 3 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Even if you just wanted blue, the LED ColorDMD would be your best looking option as monochrome blue LED displays will have visible gridlines from the segments. LED ColorDMD has no grids.

http://www.colordmd.com
LED display is $369
LCD display is $399

OK thanks.

#45 3 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

http://www.colordmd.com
LED display is $369
LCD display is $399

Yeah I'm not sure what gridlines you're talking about.
the first picture you see when you visit their website
looks the same as every dmd I've ever seen in 25 years.
Lines of dots.
the color one on their site looks like that too.
Do you have pictures to show what youre talking about?

The color one looks to have the same lines of dots,
as the original orange ones.
Are you saying , they don't?

Just trying to understand.
I'm new to the color DMD world

Thanks

#46 3 years ago
Quoted from pinbuoy:

Yeah I'm not sure what gridlines you're talking about.
the first picture you see when you visit their website
looks the same as every dmd I've ever seen in 25 years.
Lines of dots.
the color one on their site looks like that too.
Do you have pictures to show what youre talking about?
The color one looks to have the same lines of dots,
as the original orange ones.
Are you saying , they don't?
Just trying to understand.
I'm new to the color DMD world
Thanks

Nothing sold by ColorDMD will have gridlines.

Older LED monochrome displays such as the ones shown from years ago in this thread were made of 8x8 segments, and because of that you can see gridlines in the image. You can see it a bit on Stern's red LED DMDs.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside