pasted_image (resized).png
C16DBE09-3271-4CF8-9202-58C7A16BC36E (resized).jpeg
FF3BA3DB-E012-423D-AC32-F381D89BA67D (resized).jpeg
IMG_20221204_023731 (resized).jpg
IMG_20221204_015512 (resized).jpg
IMG_20221204_015629 (resized).jpg
20220910_124842 (resized).jpg
14A2B410-EB5D-4609-822F-6AC5A1495585 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider crazylevi.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#49 1 year ago

“This movie will only be successful if the writing is awesome!” Doesn’t really ring true. I mean..titanic? Avatar?

I have no idea if this will be a success or not but to pretend your average modern movie goer gives a shit about how good a script is seems to be giving them a completely undeserved benefit of the doubt.

#52 1 year ago

I remember people complaining about "wokeness" last time around and it was the biggest movie of all time.

But back then it was "He's gone SJW!" The euphemisms change, but the whining remains the same.

#55 1 year ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Pretty sure Avatar was before a that wasn't it? Wait, was #1 ground zero for wokeness?!?! It's their worst nightmare come back.

Yes, it was ironic, but the first Avatar triggered "TRIGGERED!" and "SJW!!"

And now it has returned.

Will it be woke's finest hour? Or will it be go woke go broke?

Humanity's future lies in the balance.

My movie-viewing future probably does not. I managed to never see the first one so probably will miss this one as well.

#62 1 year ago
Quoted from vidguy:

Yeah he’s been hugely successful. But he peaked in 1986. Aliens is one of the top movies of all time. It’s not often you see such a hot debate whether the first or second film in a series is better.

And Cam is often involved!

I vote T2 and Alien when it comes to those.

#67 1 year ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Titanic is so great; you can only deny it for so long. I wasn't a big T2 fan but it was a monster.

It's true, Titanic is so idiotic, and yet, completely irresistable!

Can't believe T2 doesn't have you under its sway. Probably the best action movie of all time...even Mom loved it!

#71 1 year ago
Quoted from screaminr:

A few people here have summed up exactly what I thought . It only made so much money because of the supposedly groundbreaking 3D special effects , I fell for the hype and saw it in IMAX .
The story was forgettable , along with the characters , no never talks about it , its never on TV .
And he's making multiple sequels
Could be the biggest Flop in history .

Bigger than Terminator: Dark Fate?!

I mean...yeah!

#92 1 year ago

The more hero talks this up the more I’m starting to think it’s gonna flop.

We’ll all know in a month or so right?

Top gun was a huge hit because it was one of the stupidest releases in modern blockbuster history, which is saying something.

Can avatar out-moron it?? Gonna be tough.

1 week later
#143 1 year ago

Audiences do not care about plot.

Every goddamn superhero movie is identical and those things are like printing money!

That doesn’t mean they want to see Avatar 2, however.

Are there any superheroes in it?

#181 1 year ago

It was entertaining. Def could have been chopped by 45 minutes or so.

Saw it an empty theater upstate for $11, beats Times Square for $30 a ticket with 900 people.

Gotta give Cameron credit he does a great job taking awful dialogue and rehashing action movie tropes and just making it all irresistible.

The dialogue is dumb (“you and me got unfinished business! Ride that son of a bitch! Don’t call me buttercup, perv!”), the characters all look and act alike and are tough to tell apart, everybody and everything is one dimensional…and you just don’t care!!

So what’s the next one? Desert? Dirt? Underground caverns? Cloud city?
FF3BA3DB-E012-423D-AC32-F381D89BA67D (resized).jpegFF3BA3DB-E012-423D-AC32-F381D89BA67D (resized).jpeg

#190 1 year ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Part of me wonders if this was because Cameron’s dialog sensibilities are stuck in the 90’s, or because Jake Sully talks like a dumbass & raised 4 kids to talk that way lol
A lot of the run time was just for gazing at the visuals. I feel like it had less dialog than the first one - and I almost wanted it to be longer to have more actual character moments. The dialog pretty much just existed to let you know how characters were feeling, discovering & what they were planning…not much in the way of actual conversation.

He’s a master of exposition

#193 1 year ago
Quoted from HomerEBW:

$435 million on its first weekend worldwide. Yea, it’s safe to say they will make their 2 billion back.

But are they really gonna make 3 more of these things?!? At 10 years a movie?

#206 1 year ago
Quoted from benheck:

I thought it was pretty good! Lots of great setup and payoff, but could have easily been 20 minutes shorter.
It was a little too "Cameron self-referential" though. Newt is back but she's male and has a gas mask! Anyone catch the True Lies reference? Also at the end, it's not the North Atlantic. It's fine to just jump off the ship into the water

Yeah there was a ton of aliens, terminator, and titanic.

A TON of aliens.
Dude just loves handcuffing people to railings!

#223 1 year ago

They didn't say "$80 million dollars," they just said "80 million"

So credits, space bucks, who the hell knows. Like most the exposition details in this moronic epic it's really unimportant; what is important is WOW DOESN'T THAT LOOK FUCKIN COOL!?!?!

And yes, it does!

1 week later
#269 1 year ago
Quoted from vidguy:

Well, that’s still a billion dollar loser according to Cameron… time will tell if it has the legs to keep earning.

Nobody really believes that shit. Cameron is just blowing hot air.

Movie is over a billion and counting. They are raking it in.

Sorry sourpusses. For better or worse it's yet another Cameron behemoth.

#275 1 year ago

I think some here are just cranky that avatar is about to pass Pinside’s favorite movie in history, that brilliant Opus “top gun 2.”

#282 1 year ago
Quoted from Zablon:

Also, I don't think anyone cares about that, it's the idea that 2billion is an expected # to be profitable. That in itself is insane and I think leads to the idea that, it should fail because of it.

I think that's just hot air, much like Deep Root Mueller's famous "$750,000 a month burn rate."

Loudmouth blowhards just like to make shit like that up. Didn't they basically film THREE Avatar movies at once?

I can't imagine this movie really needs to make $2 billion to not be a flop, that was just bluster to get gums flapping.

#287 1 year ago
Quoted from curban:

“Team flop” here. I’ll admit that I thought the box office would reflect that the public is burning out on spectacle and is looking for more story. That was dumb of me.

I still can’t comprehend what about the moviegoing public’s habits over the past 20 years would have convinced you and others of this.

Nobody cares about story.

3 weeks later
#321 1 year ago
Quoted from HomerEBW:

$2 billion in less than 2 months. I’d consider that a very successful movie.
Sure many of you didn’t like the movie but you have to admit, that amount of money in that short amount of time is impressive.

But how is that possible when nobody cosplays avatar and also go woke go broke ?!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider crazylevi.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/avatar-2-flop-or-not?tu=crazylevi and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.