pasted_image (resized).png
C16DBE09-3271-4CF8-9202-58C7A16BC36E (resized).jpeg
FF3BA3DB-E012-423D-AC32-F381D89BA67D (resized).jpeg
IMG_20221204_023731 (resized).jpg
IMG_20221204_015512 (resized).jpg
IMG_20221204_015629 (resized).jpg
20220910_124842 (resized).jpg
14A2B410-EB5D-4609-822F-6AC5A1495585 (resized).jpeg

There are 324 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 7.
#1 1 year ago

James Cameron says it needs to make 2 billion worldwide to break even. That sounds unlikely to me. I don't even see a lot of ads for it and it's coming out in two weeks. Somehow the world has changed a lot since 2009 and smurfs in space seems less appealing. Plus the whole sequel thing. But Cameron also has a pretty solid track record and hopefully the movie will somehow be fresh and engaging! What do you think?

#2 1 year ago
Quoted from JakeFAttie:

James Cameron says it needs to make 2 billion worldwide to break even. That sounds unlikely to me. I don't even see a lot of ads for it and it's coming out in two weeks. Somehow the world has changed a lot since 2009 and smurfs in space seems less appealing. Plus the whole sequel thing. But Cameron also has a pretty solid track record and hopefully the movie will somehow be fresh and engaging! What do you think?

I saw the first in the theater because it was a huge deal then. The previews I've seen don't look all that special (comparatively) and I'm not hyped enough to go to the theater. A lot has changed since then. Will I watch it? Sure, but most likely won't go to the theater to see it.

It's James Cameron, so I think it will do well....but I mean....that's a pretty hefty sum of money to break even.

#3 1 year ago

If they filmed 2 movie sequels together ala Matrix sequels, they probably saved a lot of money than stop and start film production. That's probably in their back pocket as risk aversion I guess.

#4 1 year ago
Quoted from KozMckPinball:

If they filmed 2 movie sequels together ala Matrix sequels, they probably saved a lot of money than stop and start film production. That's probably in their back pocket as risk aversion I guess.

What I read is 2 & 3 are done and 4 is 1/4 done(and they are going to feel out how 2/3 go before finishing it).

#5 1 year ago

I think it will makes monies, but how much over 2bills can you get? Probably a bjt.
Make no mistake Cameron knowms his shit. Also make no mistake Avatar 1 was just a complete and utterly piece of garbage and was still the GOAT cash cow

Huge foreign results I think
Edit: only good thing about #1 were those 3d subtitles

#6 1 year ago

I'm sure that ground-breaking multi-hyphenate, taller than average, good at marriage, visionary linguist, and, of course, Titanic talent James Cameron has nothing to worry about.

#7 1 year ago

Ha! 5 marriages I guess is good

#8 1 year ago

The issue is, that the original movie never made it into the publics subconscious. Nobody quotes the movie, You cannot really cosplay as a character
It looked pretty, and that is all it had going for it

#9 1 year ago

Nobody can even name the main characters. Hell, I rooted for the marines that screenplay has been done so many times all the way back 7 Samarias or dances with wolves. What made Avatar king was the technology. Ppl were fascinated by the CGI and RealD 3D! Those days are gone. Good luck!

#10 1 year ago

I thought Avatar was going to be the biggest flop of all time. Yeah, I was wrong. I boycotted the film out of spite and have never seen it.

I’m gonna double down. Avatar 2 will be one of the largest money losers of all time.

#11 1 year ago
Quoted from vidguy:

I thought Avatar was going to be the biggest flop of all time. Yeah, I was wrong. I boycotted the film out of spite and have never seen it.
I’m gonna double down. Avatar 2 will be one of the largest money losers of all time.

#12 1 year ago

No one believes me when I tell them this, but I once dated a Na'vi.

#13 1 year ago

Well, I freely admit the story of the first one was on the weak side and pretty much Pocahontas in space - but I saw the original Avatar a couple times and my wife and I enjoyed it. I'm looking forward to seeing the next one - I hope it improves on everything that was weak with the first.

#14 1 year ago

Saw the first one in the theater and the CGI/3D animation was definitely impressive at the time……way too late for a sequel to capture that magic again. Only way this movie is a hit is if the storyline is any good….from the previews I have seen I don’t see this being a good movie but plenty of people will see it because there is not much else to see.

#15 1 year ago

No interest in seeing "FernGully in Space II"

The first had great CGI for it's time, the writing was horrible.

#16 1 year ago

I thought is was Blue Pocahontas in Space, Part Duex.

I think Cameron's gonna go full Swordquest on us with all the sequels. This first one is WaterWorld. Then will be FireWorld, then Earthworld, and finally Airworld. It actually sounds like this may really be the case since Airworld was never completed, and the next sequel they're working on is on hold to see if WaterWorld does ok or not.

#17 1 year ago

It would have been a must see movie in theaters up until about 2015 for me. Then I started to lose interest in this theme and then 2020 happened.

I learned about me that I totally do not miss the ambience of stale popcorn and random coughs. I’m part of the demographic that the movie theater business lost for good. “Only in theaters” isn’t the marketing genius they think it is.

2023 has extremely good, very large TVs with reliable streaming so I’ll watch it when it’s available for streaming (rent, not buy. I learned patience.).

#18 1 year ago

I can’t bring myself to care about the Smurf’s, I just find them ugly looking.

#19 1 year ago

I like Cameron, but I never understood the appeal of Avatar. It may be his most derivative work ever and the original relied heavily on the wow factor of the CGI graphics. Now, pretty much every blockbuster action movie is a big, dumb CGI fest and I don't think the bland characters and story will be enough to make it stand out from the endless sea of Marvel movies and the like.

#20 1 year ago

People have bet against Cameron numerous times in his career, and have always lost. SOMEBODY gave him the money to do this film (it’s not financed from his earnings from Titanic - he took the George Lucas path and invested in companies which created the technology he needed). It’ll make what it needs. Between theaters, streaming, long-term international deals (no China references to piss off the biggest market in the world), it’ll do fine.

#21 1 year ago

This is the first I've heard of util, so yeah, marketing is pretty weak

#22 1 year ago
Quoted from PopBumperPete:

The issue is, that the original movie never made it into the publics subconscious. Nobody quotes the movie, You cannot really cosplay as a character
It looked pretty, and that is all it had going for it

The ability to cosplay is a factor of success I've never heard of. Good one

I always wondered how the first did so well. I own in 3d and have watched a couple times over the years. It's always better than I remember, but really long

#23 1 year ago

The original kinda bored me. I never understood the hype. What I understand even less, is building an Avatar land at Disney World. Nobody I know really cares about Avatar. My kids sure as hell don’t care about the original movie or the new sequels. It’s just not a great franchise to me.

#24 1 year ago

I seen the first one becouse it was ground breaking special effects and 3d. I don't even remember what it was about.

#25 1 year ago

I remember the in-theater coming soon "commercial" for Avatar, shown when you were waiting for another movie to start. It was very vague, showed quickly one of the blue characters and I guess sparked interest because of the vagueness but the commercials were shown often. I was impressed by Avatar when we went to see it. I do not have interest in re-seeing it after the first time. I think for me, it was, hey what's this vague movie about that looks cool and different and is being marketed hard? Then probably a lot of word-of-mouth hey go see it type of stuff. Very cool affects, especially the fighter machines. Now everyone has seen the story and affects. I would not bet against Cameron but it has to be impressively technical again.

#26 1 year ago
Quoted from JakeFAttie:

Based on the trailers, it looks like it should be quite the visual feast.

Hopefully, the game is too!

#27 1 year ago

It'll do "fine" but it's obviously a Made for China movie and.... Whoops! Lockdowns and riots.

Also curious how they went from "we are making four sequels!" to "I'm sure they will let us finish the third movie"

#28 1 year ago
Quoted from radium:

What I understand even less, is building an Avatar land at Disney World. Nobody I know really cares about Avatar.

You must not have been there then. It’s crazy cool, immersive, and the main ride itself is way better than the movie hands down.

#29 1 year ago
Quoted from Yoko2una:

You must not have been there then. It’s crazy cool, immersive, and the main ride itself is way better than the movie hands down.

We go every year. Flights of passage is a great ride, but it could have been any other theme (Tron? Buzz lightyear?) and been just as good or better. It’s Soarin 2.0. The rest of the land is ok… doesn’t fit into Animal Kingdom at all. Basically we go on the two rides, look around, “oh this is neat”, leave and do something else.

#30 1 year ago

I hope its a big success. We all need a break from the media feeds, that polarize people into views of the world.

#31 1 year ago
Quoted from Zablon:

I'm sure that ground-breaking multi-hyphenate, taller than average, good at marriage, visionary linguist, and, of course, Titanic talent James Cameron has nothing to worry about.

Man, no one? lol.

#32 1 year ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

I hope its a big success. We all need a break from the media feeds, that polarize people into views of the world.

The first movie was loaded with common political tropes and was criticized for it. Evil corporation destroying lush natural resources for capitalistic gains… poor blue native race gets trampled… twisted loose cannon military man as villain… etc.

#33 1 year ago

Dances with Wolves in space.

#34 1 year ago

They definitely struck while the iron was hot.

#35 1 year ago

The CGI on this new one is pretty ground-breaking, nobody has tackled water like this before. But the problem is I don't think people are going to necessarily notice or care. They won't get how hard it was, they're just used to every movie having great effects now.

It's definitely an odd situation to have a film that was, on paper, so wildly successful, and yet I don't know anyone who's emotionally attached to it. This thread is full of meh reactions, and put me in that camp too. It was fine, it was a spectacle, and I might stream the sequel at some point maybe? Or just forget it exists, I dunno.

I'm more interested in seeing some YouTube breakdowns of the CGI than I am in anything about the plot or film itself.

#36 1 year ago

I never saw avatar until 2021 and I only watched it because I was going to Disney world and wanted context for the avatar land. I didn't think it was very good.

#37 1 year ago
Quoted from radium:

The first movie was loaded with common political tropes and was criticized for it. Evil corporation destroying lush natural resources for capitalistic gains… poor blue native race gets trampled… twisted loose cannon military man as villain… etc.

It wasn't the least bit subtle either.

Not a dime will I spend on this tripe.

#38 1 year ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

It wasn't the least bit subtle either.
Not a dime will I spend on this tripe.

So you don't like true documentaries?

#39 1 year ago

Is the 2 billion needed for the next installment our the series? Seems like a stretch for 1 movie

#40 1 year ago
Quoted from seenev:

I never saw avatar until 2021 and I only watched it because I was going to Disney world and wanted context for the avatar land. I didn't think it was very good.

Avatar, IMHO, was best in an IMAX theater.

#41 1 year ago

I know people like to hate on the 3D tech, but I actually really enjoyed it, even on my home tv. Kinda disappointed it disappeared so quickly. Some movies/documentary series (especially space stuff) did it very well. I still watch them in VR.

#42 1 year ago
Quoted from KozMckPinball:

Avatar, IMHO, was best in an IMAX theater.

Quoted from Zablon:

I know people like to hate on the 3D tech, but I actually really enjoyed it ...

That's where I saw it and I enjoyed the 3-D effect! Made my wife motion sick though.

#43 1 year ago

Didn't see the first one, won't see the second.

#44 1 year ago

You guys have no idea who you're dealing with... James 'King of the World' Cameron. Avatar 2 will be a monster hit, no doubt. I loved the original movie which had a tremendously moving story, and made you hate your own species. Yay!

But... it's all down to the story. Sfx won't save this movie, at its core it must tell a good story and engage with the audience.

The whole world is sick of CGI, Cameron knows this, so he'll be using his magic as a storyteller to make certain the sfx serves only to move the story along... as he did with T2.

I have complete confidence that Mr Cameron will deliver a spectacular movie experience like no other.

#45 1 year ago

it's more "dances with Wolves" than Pokeherhotass.

Regardless, Avatar 2 will be better than the Avatar pin no matter what.

#46 1 year ago
Quoted from benheck:

It'll do "fine" but it's obviously a Made for China movie and.... Whoops! Lockdowns and riots.
Also curious how they went from "we are making four sequels!" to "I'm sure they will let us finish the third movie"

They used this magical device called “financial projections”. The movie business is HARD, you have to green light movies 2-5 years in advance - and more than 10 in this case. This was a no-brainer after back to back #1 earning films of all time, but it’s possible it will end up the film business’ Chinese Democracy. I still think Cameron has something up his sleeve, and I bet the trailers are showing nothing (they may want to re-think that!)

#47 1 year ago
Quoted from Zablon:

Man, no one? lol.

you were mixing your ironies.

#48 1 year ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

you were mixing your ironies.

Nah, I was quoting Future Man. These aren't as funny the way they are edited, but you get the idea.

#49 1 year ago

“This movie will only be successful if the writing is awesome!” Doesn’t really ring true. I mean..titanic? Avatar?

I have no idea if this will be a success or not but to pretend your average modern movie goer gives a shit about how good a script is seems to be giving them a completely undeserved benefit of the doubt.

#50 1 year ago

He'll probably go woke like all the other Hollywood crap out there. Big flop.

There are 324 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 7.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/avatar-2-flop-or-not and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.