Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 11 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by eli_lilly
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider lowepg.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#5 9 years ago

Tile wouldn't be effective for this.

They are great for locating stuff you lost in your own house, but will have limited use for something like this....

You really need something with gps and cellular capabilities. I have something like this on a very expensive drone in case it gets "lost"

However, you will be paying for the device AND a monthly service fee for the cellular service.

I think a MUCH cheaper and easier solution for pinball machines is - good insurance.

#8 9 years ago
    Quoted from PinChili:

But Tile does say it can work for items very far away too. Apparently anyone with the app installed (on their phone) who comes near a Tile device registers the location of that device. So if a few hundred thousand people use it all you need is one person to eventually come near your pin and the location will get registered. Sounds like a good solution IF a lot of people start using it.

Yup. I have tile- I use it all the time.

But you hit the issue- for it to work:
    someone with the app on their phone has to walk in close proximity to it, and
    have Bluetooth enabled at all times.

Someday, if millions use this app- it will be useful, but right now, its WAY too spotty to be used for tracking stolen items.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider lowepg.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/available-technologies-that-could-be-used-for-tracking-your-pins?tu=lowepg and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.