Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 48 posts
  • 23 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by rai
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Excalabur.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#26 9 years ago

Good choice. I was about to add to the chorus of AV haters.

To me, AV is a worse Monster Bash. It shoots badly, the rules are unbalanced for score competitions (shoot Hawkeye all day), and the modes are all tedious as all get out (shoot the same shot 7-10 times, woo!).

Mostly, though, it's just really badly balanced scoring-wise, and that drives me nuts.

IM, though, that thing is sweet. Brutal, but you can help that some with setup if it's too hard for your family. There's real decisions to be made, objectives to go for that are hard to achieve, and then some great wizard and mini-wizard modes...

#40 9 years ago
Quoted from 85vett:

Uhm, yeah, nope... I can get that people hate AV and can live with that but the misinformation about this title is a little out of control.

AV is not even remotely close to MB. The layout is one off and not even close to a fan layout. The rules aren't even close to each other either. The only thing AV and MB have in common is you have to shoot the same shot a set number of times to activate something. Which, is the same with almost every pin out there.

The layout, whatever. There's some shots.

But the modes in AV are literally the least fun modes I can think of. You shoot a shot four times--to activate a mode wherein you shoot the same shot some more times.

After you've done that, you can shoot the shot some more to get multiball. During which you have the option of shooting the same thing, or you can shoot something else.

I think in several months of league play I never saw anyone get that far into the game--except for on Hawkeye. Because, y'know, shooting hawkeye over, and over, and over, and over, and over again is the optimal strategy for the game in competition. Ugh.

#43 9 years ago
Quoted from luckymoey:

AV is the only game I'd recommend putting on easy settings. It is still a tough game for everyone but "A" level players. Easy settings makes the mini wizard mode pretty accessible. It's also not designed to play like the typical Stern mode game. The vs. battles are only a means to collect the characters for the final battle and can be fun once you get them going frequently - which is doable in easy settings. It's a different game and definitely not for everyone. I get why a lot of people don't like it but agree that it is often bashed for the wrong reasons. Experienced collectors should keep an open mind if they access to one that is properly set up in the home.

I very much agree with this--I believe at Expo last year Trent set up his AV in the tournament bank with Iron Man and Cap on Extra Easy, BW on Easy, Hulk on normal, and the Hawkeye switch removed, along with the right inlane switch to prevent people from looping the Hawkeye shot to get Loki multiball.

It seemed to play pretty well, though it was disappointing that the wizard modes were unattainable. Bit unfortunate that was "optimal", though.

However, I've never seen one routed like that--on location the game is just sadtimes.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

4,950 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
White Oak, PA
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

5,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Allentown, PA
$ 29.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 58.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 87.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

€ 48.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Kami's Pinball Parts

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 135.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 12.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Dunkirk, MD
$ 46.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 64.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods

$ 27.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 26.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 40.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 24.95
6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Dixon, CA
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Excalabur.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/av-pro-vs-im-ve?tu=Excalabur and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.