(Topic ID: 112460)

Automotive wrap for cabinets?

By silverball0

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

HPIM7560.JPG
    Toronto-20130705-00337.jpg
    DSC02047.JPG
    International clothiers Kennedy.JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider superbee.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#7 9 years ago

Hi, guys,
    Im a graphic installer by trade. I specialize in a lot of things and one of them is vehicle wraps. I dont produce any of the decals but just install.

Quoted from HOOKED:

Car wrap is thinner than cab decals and has give so it tends to stretch.

This is not correct. Some of the newer wrap films may be a little thinner but most are not. We usually use 3M IJ180 film to do the wraps. The main problem you have with this is the cost of file setup. If you had the files all ready to go it would certainly be worth it but if the print shop needs to figure it out for you then the cost would be way too much.
    Dont have any vehicle wrap photos with me at the moment but here are a few photos of the types of other decal work i do .

International clothiers Kennedy.JPGInternational clothiers Kennedy.JPG
    DSC02047.JPGDSC02047.JPGToronto-20130705-00337.jpgToronto-20130705-00337.jpgHPIM7560.JPGHPIM7560.JPG

#12 9 years ago
    Quoted from sc204:

Is there any benefit to using car wrap material

Material used for "car wraps" and most other applications are the same. Just high end and lower end materials.

Quoted from sc204:

as opposed to whatever standard printable vinyl that would usually be used on pinball machines.

These materials are generally on the low end of the quality scale but more than serve their purpose.

Quoted from Pinfidel:

I'm sure there are licensing barriers in the way for one,

Most print shops wont give a rats ass about licencing if its just a one off for someone who already has the files ready to go.

Quoted from Pinfidel:

I always have and always will advocate spending the extra money to support our fellow pin brothers with their pinball specific parts businesses even if it means saving a little time or even money.

I wholeheartedly agree but some titles are just not available within the pin industry.

Quoted from Pinfidel:

I will say that when it comes to wraping things, you need to have the surface totally prepped. That means sanded and filled anyway or else it won't bond as well and more importantly, you'll see all the tiniest bumps and imperfections when you look at it in the reflection of the light

This is true but how much really depends on whether you are using a 2 mil cast film or a 4 mil calendar film.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider superbee.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/automotive-wrap-for-cabinets?tu=superbee and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.