4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 13 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by ovfdfireman
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 4 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

HPIM7560.JPG
    Toronto-20130705-00337.jpg
    DSC02047.JPG
    International clothiers Kennedy.JPG

#1 4 years ago

Was thinking about what to do with the problem of faded cabinets, and the work to restore them when they fade. Looking around for an easier hopefully cheaper way to make them look like new again and while driving one day, a car advertising pizza was wrapped bumper to bumper, and thought why we couldn't do that to the pins, golf courses are doing fiberglass golf carts, and once the lease is up the wrap is pulled off.

I am not sure what process is used to develop the graphics but I am thinking that if a good color photo of the design was used the method should be the same to just overlay it on the cabinet.

This could be a cheaper and easier way to reproduce art work that is not available for a lot of pins.

Maybe there is a pinsider that has access to this process and can shed some thoughts on this.

#2 4 years ago

No answer for you but I was thinking the same thing. They can print anything on car wrap material and it must be pretty forgiving in application. Cars have a lot more curves then pinball machines. Of course the square foot cost is probably more. I looked at USCutter.com where I buy my decal vinyl from, and the real flexible car wrap material is about 4X more expensive than good printable vinyl material. Not sure about the stuff that would be used to do the side of a flat truck.

#3 4 years ago

The cost maybe more up front, but the labor saved has to be taken in account, if you save 10 hours prepping your cabinet plus the mess of sanding dust. It still could be a viable method.

#4 4 years ago

I thought you were talking about the clear wrap 3M makes to protect clear coat on vehicles from chipping from stones and such. I know what wraps you're talking about now, not sure how well they would adhere to wood, but I'm sure there is a way.

#5 4 years ago

Yest it will work but the cabinet has to be super smooth. Car wrap is thinner than cab decals and has give so it tends to stretch.

#6 4 years ago

I have actually thought about trying the clear bra material over a fresh set of decals to prevent damage and give a sort of clear coated look.

#7 4 years ago

Hi, guys,
    Im a graphic installer by trade. I specialize in a lot of things and one of them is vehicle wraps. I dont produce any of the decals but just install.

Quoted from HOOKED:

Car wrap is thinner than cab decals and has give so it tends to stretch.

This is not correct. Some of the newer wrap films may be a little thinner but most are not. We usually use 3M IJ180 film to do the wraps. The main problem you have with this is the cost of file setup. If you had the files all ready to go it would certainly be worth it but if the print shop needs to figure it out for you then the cost would be way too much.
    Dont have any vehicle wrap photos with me at the moment but here are a few photos of the types of other decal work i do .

International clothiers Kennedy.JPG
    DSC02047.JPGToronto-20130705-00337.jpgHPIM7560.JPG

#8 4 years ago

So you would seem to have real knowledge of the materials involved. Is there any benefit to using car wrap material as opposed to whatever standard printable vinyl that would usually be used on pinball machines. Assuming that we already have the image file.

Thanks

#9 4 years ago

I'm sure there are licensing barriers in the way for one, but more than that, I always have and always will advocate spending the extra money to support our fellow pin brothers with their pinball specific parts businesses even if it means saving a little time or even money.

I feel that it's important to support them, because they do so much to support us. What would we do if these guys didn't exist or folded up? How many times has someone announced that they are getting out of the hobby or selling their pinball business and everyone is nervous and praying that someone comes along and buys them and keeps it going. Take Pinball Inc. Remember when Jim said he was moving on? Remember how thankful we all were when we all found out that Starship Fantasy was coming in and taking over? Yeah, we all breathed a huge collective sigh of relief, right? Well that's what I'm talking about. Ask the older guys around here what it was like getting parts for machines in the 80's and 90's. Wanna go back to those days?

So please guys, when it comes to pinball, spend that little extra $ with a fellow pinheads business. You may just be doing yourself a big favor in the long run. Cause when you need that decal or part, they'll be there and have it for you ready to go.

#10 4 years ago

I will say that when it comes to wraping things, you need to have the surface totally prepped. That means sanded and filled anyway or else it won't bond as well and more importantly, you'll see all the tiniest bumps and imperfections when you look at it in the reflection of the light. Same as you would looking down the side panels of a car and you can see the waves and imperfections on the vehicle. The work is always in the preparation, not so much applying the finished product.

#11 4 years ago

That's all vinyl work and I don't think it's too hard to get your hands on cabinet decals to begin with.
    There might not be any artwork made for some B and C titles, but I'd imagine you can get most of the A title decals.

With a high resolution scan, or even a really good photograph, you're well on your way to making your own if you have a little bit of photoshop or illustrator skills.

#12 4 years ago
    Quoted from sc204:

Is there any benefit to using car wrap material

Material used for "car wraps" and most other applications are the same. Just high end and lower end materials.

Quoted from sc204:

as opposed to whatever standard printable vinyl that would usually be used on pinball machines.

These materials are generally on the low end of the quality scale but more than serve their purpose.

Quoted from Pinfidel:

I'm sure there are licensing barriers in the way for one,

Most print shops wont give a rats ass about licencing if its just a one off for someone who already has the files ready to go.

Quoted from Pinfidel:

I always have and always will advocate spending the extra money to support our fellow pin brothers with their pinball specific parts businesses even if it means saving a little time or even money.

I wholeheartedly agree but some titles are just not available within the pin industry.

Quoted from Pinfidel:

I will say that when it comes to wraping things, you need to have the surface totally prepped. That means sanded and filled anyway or else it won't bond as well and more importantly, you'll see all the tiniest bumps and imperfections when you look at it in the reflection of the light

This is true but how much really depends on whether you are using a 2 mil cast film or a 4 mil calendar film.

#13 4 years ago

There are simply different grades and thicknesses of vinyl. Also types specifically calendared film, and cast film. And different levels within those. The advantages really come down to shrinkage amount, and longevity (UV resistance), another variable is lamination. Matching lamination is key. For car wrapping thin is more common because lamination is desired (which would double thickness), and with vinyl being very flexible it will bend and mold with the surface, so a pin cabinet will need prepped or imperfections will most definately show through.

In short car wrap material, is the same as sign vinyl, but typically in the high grade cast vinyl. Though many signs are also made of high grade cast and laminated vinyls as well. My guess is pinball art is of a lower grade, but either way surfaces would be prepped the same as any other vinyl product (side art)

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 20.50
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 79.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 38.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 209.99
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    $ 25.00
    Apparel - Unisex
    Project Pinball Charity
    Boards
    German-Pinball-Modular
    Lighting - Interactive
    Pinball Z
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 49.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos
    $ 305.00
    Lighting - Interactive
    ...redshiftLED
    £ 79.00
    Playfield - Other
    PinballToys
    $ 5,799.00
    Pinball Machine
    Operation Pinball
    $ 35.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos
    Apparel - Unisex
    Pinball Wheezer
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 15.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Metal-Mods
    $ 239.99
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Tilttopper
    $ 90.00
    Lighting - Led
    Geeteoh Electronics
    $ 99.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 27.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 22.00
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 299.00
    Displays
    Boston Pinball Company

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside