Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 30 posts
  • 13 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by cottonm4
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider cottonm4.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#10 6 years ago
Quoted from BubbaK:

Thanks.. Is there a substitute or something else that would work? I only need about 2 eye droppers full and have no use for any other clear coat.

You might try sweet talking a local body shop painter for a little bit already mixed. If you don't live to far away from the shop, what they "give" you should have enough pot life for you to get home and apply to your inserts.

(Shrug) It is worth a try and you won't know unless you ask around.

#14 6 years ago
Quoted from BubbaK:

I'm planning on taking out the inserts and working them flat, then reinstalling. For the ones with writing on them, I want to remove them, fill them, sand flat and reinstall level with the playfield. My hope is that I can build it up with enough clear that I can sand flat without damaging the paint of lettering on the insert. The playfield is way too far gone for my artistic ability to repair properly. I was originally thinking about clearing the whole damaged playfield to preserve the wear and keep it from getting worse. After looking into it, its way too much work for what I want to accomplish with this machine.

Ask Vid, but I think he said sometime back that working them flat is not a good idea because they will just cup again and it is better to fill them with clear.

Quoted from rufessor:

Interesting approach to level inserts out of the game. That probably can work well- whats the approach to this?...find tape thats resistant to the clear to make a dam and hope you can peel it off after it cures?

My inclination would be too wrap the edge with black electricians tape and bore some holes in a piece of wood where the inserts can be set in flush and sand it that way to reduce risk of over-sanding. You would also need to apply tape to the wood surface and trim out around the holes so the clear would not glue the insert to the wood.

#20 6 years ago
Quoted from BubbaK:

I may try the UV resin on one to see how it works. I have a few of those pens around. My concern with filling them while in the machine is that I won't be able to sand it flat if it doesn't lay flat. I will have a closer look at the wood surrounding the inserts to see how worn it is. I think I am going to start with one of the inserts thats off to the side in one of the drain lanes. I'll update as I get into it. I think this will be my weekend project..

Maybe you should consider getting a sheet of .030 polycarbonate and make your self a play field protector. They are not that hard to make ( I have made 3) and will give you a nice shiny play field cover that is as smooth as glass and is as hard as nails. You would not need to remove your inserts. If you do not understand what polycarbonate sheet is the brand names are Lexan and Makrolite. CDs and DVDs are made of polycarbonate. It will scratch but it will not tear, crack, or break.

#21 6 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Maybe you should consider getting a sheet of .030 polycarbonate and make your self a play field protector. They are not that hard to make ( I have made 3) and will give you a nice shiny play field cover that is as smooth as glass and is as hard as nails. You would not need to remove your inserts. If you do not understand what polycarbonate sheet is the brand names are Lexan and Makrolite. CDs and DVDs are made of polycarbonate. It will scratch but it will not tear, crack, or break.

Actually,, I just took a look and the play field protector company already makes one for Cleopatra. $120.00 and all of your insert problems are covered over.

https://www.playfield-protectors.com/Home/Details/dyXNlEeY70667BhSuG5iGg?categoryid=22&category=Playfield%20Protectors&name=Cleopatra%20%7C%201977

#23 6 years ago
Quoted from BubbaK:

Thats pretty cool.. Sounds like it will solve a whole lot of problems.. With shipping its about $150.. Is there any import taxes to the US?

I don't know. You would need to ask the company that is selling them.

https://pinside.com/pinball/search?q=playfield+protectors

Here is the biz link and contact info.

https://pinside.com/pinball/community/pinsiders/protectors

Here is some more stuff.

https://pinside.com/pinball/community/pinsiders/protectors/forum

4 years later
#30 1 year ago
Quoted from ccbiggsoo7:

don't want to learn on a game like whitewater, practice on a $500 em not a 8k whitewater

I suggest practice on some blank pieces of wood. I also suggest learning to paint with the board hung vertically. This is where you will learn how to lay down a wet coat of paint without getting runs, sags, or curtains in your paint. If you screw things up, just hang another practice board. If you can paint vertically, painting a play field laying flat will be easy.

Just get some cheap spray can paint from Walmart and push the limits to see how far you can go with laying down paint. Try to make it run. Try to make it sag. Try to learn the bleeding edge to where you have enough paint on and it is time to stop. You will learn when you see your paint job start sliding to the floor.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 15.00
Lighting
Space Coast Pinball

Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider cottonm4.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/automotive-clear-coat?tu=cottonm4 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.