• Latest reply 9 years ago by 85vett
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20141110_215602.jpg

#1 9 years ago

Doing my first cab restoration. The cab was beat pretty bad with chunks missing hear and there. I've spent 3 days now on the head alone and it looks like I'm one more fill and sand away from painting it. I have a HVLP detail spray gun and 2 quarts of black paint from on old auto project. I've been searching the threads and can't tell if auto clear is overkill for a cab though. Still not sure if I should use it or if I should go get some satin black paint from Home Depot. I'm going to be applying decals over the paint. I'm trying to smooth everything out perfectly so the decals look good especially since they are black decals.

Any thoughts or recommendations for a first time restorer?

P.S. - Cab restoration is a PITA. I knew it was tough work but this takes it to a whole new level... Here is a pic of where I am now. Trying to rebuild the cutouts now as they were all kinds off messed up. I've filled in the low spots I found (black arrows) and stacked up filler on the holes. Sand smooth and hopefully go on to paint.

20141110_215602.jpg20141110_215602.jpg

#2 9 years ago

Hey there - I have done my HSII with 2 pac gloss black before decal, and then clear coated after decal. I have an automotive accident repair business. With mine I applied a wood sealer first, then I applied the same primer surfacer I would on a car (this is after filler) After cutting back and re applying this primer again I then went with the gloss black. After applying the decal I clear coated. It was extremely time consuming and the project consumed a lot of product. Having said that anyone who sees that cabinet is blown away by it. Just remember when using automotive paint any imperfections at all on your surface will me magnified (the glossy finish accentuates it) you really need to spend a heap of time on prep, much more than you would with a satin finish.

#3 9 years ago

Yes, it's overkill. Anything above and beyond what the factory did really isn't necessary. That being said I'm an overkill kind of guy myself. I say go for it and post pictures when you're finished.

#4 9 years ago

No it's not overkill. I have done quite a few cabs with auto paint/clear and they look amazing. To me the colors just jump out at ya with a good clear coat. Some people like the high gloss look more then the satin finish also. Spray some adhesion promoter on the cab decals before you clear them.

#5 9 years ago

I have a personal dislike to a clear-coated cab, but to each his own.
Do however, clearcoat or seal the wood real good before putting on a decal. You don't want any of the wood grain the show.

#6 9 years ago

Overkill. Clear coat is meant to protect from scratching/wear and the elements, which is why we use it for PFs. Unless you're a cat, you're not going to be constantly rubbing up against the side of your cabinet. And when you move a cab, you're gonna get chunks coming off corners or worse if you have any problems, not just minor surface scratches. Besides, it is easy to touch-up scratches on a cab. Auto clear coating a cab is an expensive waste of time if it is just sitting in your home. And you can't spray it over decals or they'll melt. If you are going to use any kind of clear to seal in redone art or touch-ups, just use rattle-can.

#7 9 years ago

Appreciate the feedback. Sounds like for the most part it's personal preference. I think I'll give the auto paint a try on backbox. If I like it, I'll buy more and do the full cab, if not, I can just sand down and respray the backbox in a satin paint.

Thanks again for the feedback. I'll post some pics when I get things closer to finished. There is already a BOP restoration thread so figured having another with step by step progress would be a bit redundant.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 109.95
Electronics
PinSound
Electronics
Machine - For Sale
Appleton, WI
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
$ 27.95
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Eproms
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields
Decals
$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods
Toys/Add-ons
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 9.95
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 150.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop
Displays
£ 69.00
Playfield - Other
PinballToys
Other
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound
Sound/Speakers
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound
Sound/Speakers
$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other
$ 1.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting
Led
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.
Sound/Speakers
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
Boards
PinSound
Boards
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 1.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting
Led
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/auto-paint-for-cab-overkill and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.