Topic Stats

• 14 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by LTG
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 11 years ago

I just picked up a POTC and have one problem with it. When balls are to be auto-lauched (i.e. multiball or ball saver), the ball gets kicked up into the shooter lane, but the auto launch will only hit the ball very weakly (it moves about 1 inch). Thus I have to manually plunge every ball.

Checked the coil sleeve and it seems ok.

Best ideas on what the problem is?

Also, if I need a new solenoid coil, could anyone provide me tips on how to change it? I can take the assembly apart no problem but it seems like the wires are soldered on to the coil. How to I take the wires off and how to I install the new coil?

Sorry for such a newb question, but this is my first coil issue. Any assistance would be really appreciated!

#2 11 years ago

Checked coil sleeve and it seems okay ? Well is it the right one, dirty, cracked on the end ? That could add to the problem.

Usually not a coil problem. Wires are solered on. If you know nothing of soldering. Learn. Google, YouTube, etc. Get an iron, solder, and wire. Sit at a table and practice. Learn to heat the wire then flow the solder so you make a good joint. If it looks like a garlic wedge, then you made a lousy cold solder joint. Taking the wires of is easy, heat them up. Anytime you work on things like this, take pictures or notes and get wires back in the right spots. In case diodes are involved you'll save yourself a lot of grief.

And the part of the mechanism that kicks the ball, is kind of peened together, check that if it's loose or any worn or broken parts on the mechanism.

LTG

#3 11 years ago

Thanks LTG. The particular coil has no diodes so that is good.

The mechanism seems ok. Same with the sleeve. It was dirty and I cleaned it, but that did not help. It slides fine.

#4 11 years ago

Is the ball fully resting against the launch mechanism? Sometimes the switch is out of whack and it prevent the ball from resting against the launch mechanism. Also, check bracket and alignment of the plunger to make sure nothing is binding.

Sean

#5 11 years ago
Quoted from Apollyon:

Thanks LTG. The particular coil has no diodes so that is good.
The mechanism seems ok. Same with the sleeve. It was dirty and I cleaned it, but that did not help. It slides fine.

I'm pretty sure that every coil on Data East games (like TFTC) must have a diode, even the autolaunch coil. (with the exception of magnets on LAH, GNR, diodes are on the magnet board)

if coil has no diode, then it might be already busted and you'll have to replace it with a new one WITH a diode.

regards
Buk

#6 11 years ago
Quoted from bucanero:

I'm pretty sure that every coil on Data East games (like TFTC) must have a diode, even the autolaunch coil. (with the exception of magnets on LAH, GNR, diodes are on the magnet board)

if coil has no diode, then it might be already busted and you'll have to replace it with a new one WITH a diode.

regards
Buk

POTC isn't a Data East game. And no diode on this coil.

LTG

#7 11 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

POTC isn't a Data East game. And no diode on this coil.
LTG

Lloyd you're right, POTC = Stern! I was pretty sure I read "TFTC" on the first post... but then after your message, I double checked and ... "OOOPS, My bad!" hahaha

regards
Buk

#8 11 years ago

Yeah, it is a stern and it says no diode.

The coil fires every time. The auto plunger sometimes only goes 1/2 way forward. Sometimes fully. But regardless, the ball barely moves. Even when it goes fully forward, the ball moves maybe 1 inch.

Shooter lane switch works fine. Playfield is level. Coil wiring seems solid.

When I move the auto plunger forward manually, it seems to be smooth (no binding).

Any thoughts or ideas? Things to test? Maybe potential issues with the plunger mechanism itself? Or would it be the coil? Like I said, it fires every time, but seems to lack all power.

It worked fine the day before yesterday...

#9 11 years ago

And the ball rests completely against the launch mechanism.

#10 11 years ago
Quoted from Apollyon:

When I move the auto plunger forward manually, it seems to be smooth (no binding).

The plunger is two parts hammered together. So it seems like one solid part.

Is your kicker still solid ?

LTG

#11 11 years ago

I am 95% sure I have figured out the problem. Coil is fine. But part of the auto plunge mechanism broke. Its the small blue ring (it connects the post with the spring on it to the auto plunge mechanism). It broke in half. Thus, when the coil was firing, it was only allowing the mech to fall down - it could not "pull" it down. Thus there was no power to the plunge. Makes sense to me.

I'll try to crazy glue the piece together to test it, then order a new blue part.

Thanks for everyone's help and input!

#12 11 years ago

Yup. That was the problem. Plunger fires now as it should.

8 years later
#13 3 years ago

My Data East Tommy auto ball launcher does not fire during multi ball. I jumped the coil and it fires. Suggestions

#14 3 years ago
Quoted from Pratto:

My Data East Tommy auto ball launcher does not fire during multi ball. I jumped the coil and it fires. Suggestions

Shooter lane switch working and staying closed when a ball is on it ?

LTG : )

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 28.75
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

6,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mount Pleasant, WI
$ 218.00
$ 54.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Medford, NJ
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

€ 20.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pin-Decals

€ 18.00
Playfield - Decals
Pin-Decals

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Orlando, FL
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Yucaipa, CA
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 29.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/auto-launch-kicker-coil-problem and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.