(Topic ID: 269486)

Auto Insurance give back

By chad

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screenshot_20200728-190009 (resized).png
    There are 82 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 3 years ago
    Quoted from robotron911:

My giveback is MI insurance reform. No more G..damned unlimited personal injury protection starting July 1. Seriously. If you are employed and have health insurance, 99% of the policies cover injuries as part of a car accident. So we've been paying for double coverage for decades. Insurers have pocketed billions over this. Good-bye PIP insurance.

before 1998 insurance was not obligatory in california,good old times.

#52 3 years ago

Some nice refunds, and policy cost reductions.

1 week later
    #53 3 years ago
    Quoted from MotorCityMatt:

Been saving $60 a month by putting one vehicle in "Storage"

I have been thinking about something like that.

I am self employed, and work a lot of different things. I have a 03 car, 05 suv, and a 88 truck. All are needed at times, but if I could just pinpoint when I may can just "store" something for a while I am ready.

The thing that to me is bullshit is that I am one person. I can not drive all 3 vehicles at the same time, so why is my insurance so high for each one?

(the reason they are so high is because of the 2 mil umbrella policy I have), but I just feel like each vehicle should have a lower coverage for some stuff, while liability should be a separate price that covers all vehicles, because I am never driving more than one at a time.

And 6/6/20 was one of those rare days that I ended up driving all 3 in the same day.

Damn I wish I could plan some "storage" stuff to save money on insurance.

Through the years State Farm has been great at replacing cracked windshields at 0 cost out of my pocket. And they did not go up on me after the boating accident(it was minor), but still, liability should be per person, and not per vehicle.

#54 3 years ago

We got about $600 back from GEICO, but our policy is over $3k every six months. And no, we aren't bad drivers; we just have a lot of expensive cars!

#55 3 years ago

On the general topic of insurance, don’t forget to shop around every year or two. I had always been too lazy and just floated along with Progressive home and auto for years. Had to make a claim and found out it really isn’t worth much being a long-term member, so called a reputable independent insurance agent and saved $1000/year with better coverage and lower deductibles.

1 week later
    #56 3 years ago

If Jake from State Farm does not get on the ball and send me a check I will be shopping around for new insurance pretty soon.

#57 3 years ago
    Quoted from JohnnyPinball007:

If Jake from State Farm does not get on the ball and send me a check I will be shopping around for new insurance pretty soon.

Same here. Don't tell us how generous you are and then not follow through. SF is overpriced to start with.

#58 3 years ago

The thing that to me is bullshit is that I am one person. I can not drive all 3 vehicles at the same time, so why is my insurance so high for each one?
    (the reason they are so high is because of the 2 mil umbrella policy I have), but I just feel like each vehicle should have a lower coverage for some stuff, while liability should be a separate price that covers all vehicles, because I am never driving more than one at a time.
    And 6/6/20 was one of those rare days that I ended up driving all 3 in the same day.
    Damn I wish I could plan some "storage" stuff to save money on insurance.

Statistically speaking very few people have more cars than drivers especially 2 more cars than drivers. Most often when there are more cars than drivers, there is an undisclosed driver using a car regularly. And often that undisclosed driver would be an expensive driver (a kid, a person with a bad driving record, etc). And sometimes that car is garaged in a more expensive location (parent who owns the car in the suburbs but the kid actually keeps the car downtown in the city).

Unfortunately those who honestly have more cars than drivers are burned by the statistics of that not usually being the case. Insurance companies can't look at the reality of each individual customer to see what's going on.

Unless... you're willing to do one of those telematic programs where they track how far you drive, where you drive and your driving habits. Then they could tell that all the cars are garaged together, that the combined miles is not an idicator of multiple drivers, and the driving habits are consistent with one person. But I'm not the kind of person to give up that much info for a discount

#59 3 years ago
    Quoted from NTXCoog:

Unless... you're willing to do one of those telematic programs where they track how far you drive, where you drive and your driving habits.

The driving habits thing would make my bill triple.

I am safe, accident free, but I drive a tad fast.

I think faster is safer, because I get away from everyone else, and run alone on the road when I can.

1 week later
    #60 3 years ago

I was going 70 miles an hour and got stopped by a cop who said, "Do you know the speed limit is 55 miles per hour?" I replied "Yes, officer, but I wasn't going to be out that long."

comedian Steven Wright

#61 3 years ago

So I just cashed in another $14. check from Progressive . When I cash the check at the specified bank - the bank has to call them to make sure the check is good ???

#62 3 years ago
    Quoted from TenaciousT:

So I just cashed in another $14. check from Progressive . When I cash the check at the specified bank - the bank has to call them to make sure the check is good ???

Times are hard, maybe Progressive's been kiting checks ...

#63 3 years ago

I finally got around to calling my State Farm agent. It went to voicemail. I left a message saying this is Johnny ----- and I was just wondering what happened to the 25% checks they were going to send out, and please give me a call back.

I have not heard back yet.

I have been thinking I can use a enclosed utility trailer I already own to do away with 2 vehicles.

I plan now to cancel insurance on 2 out of 3 of my vehicles, but not get rid of anything, just garage for now.

(the older I get the more frugal I am getting, and I have been pretty frugal most of my life anyway).

#64 3 years ago

Also, one vehicle I was using, I was using for longer trips to save on gas. While ago I did the math and the last 6 months I only saved 122.00 on gas, while paying 548.00 insurance on that vehicle.

#65 3 years ago

The State Farm return will be nothing to write home about. I asked my agent why it hasn't appeared and he gave me the BS, "State Farm is writing way more checks than the other insurers. It takes time." Seriously? I got the image in my head of 50 monkeys in a room handwriting checks. The net savings is 20-30% for the last 2.5 months. Considering no one was driving (I have literally filled my tank twice since Michigan got locked down in March), the savings are really nominal. This was a windfall for the auto insurers.

#66 3 years ago

I finally got around to calling my State Farm agent. It went to voicemail. I left a message saying this is Johnny ----- and I was just wondering what happened to the 25% checks they were going to send out, and please give me a call back.
    I have not heard back yet.

I finally heard back, and there is no check coming. Instead my next payments due are supposed to have the deduction included. (I pay every 6 months).

#67 3 years ago
    Quoted from floyd1977:

Have 3 cars with State Farm. I thought I heard they were going to provide some kind of discount, but the amount of my last two monthly bills haven't changed. I've been thinking of switching anyway. State Farm is too expensive.

Follow up: State Farm sent an updated bill. We were paying $273/month for 3 cars. Now $103/month. We'll see how long it stays that low.

Keep in mind we have a 16-year-old driver, so her portion is more than half our bill.

#68 3 years ago

We have 4 cars, 2 full coverage and 2 liability only. They discounted ours about $140 for the month. Enough that it makes a noticeable difference. i remember the good old days when I paid $99 for 6 months of liability only.

#69 3 years ago

Damn... try Michigan rates. Two cars at 460 per month.

#70 3 years ago
    Quoted from robotron911:

Damn... try Michigan rates. Two cars at 460 per month.

Damn, that makes me feel like I am getting a great deal.

I have a umbrella policy because of my work, and that makes everything go up, but still, 550 average per vehicle per 6 months is under 100.00 a month per vehicle. And that is all full coverage.

I did cancel insurance and tag on one truck, because not needed now. Not selling the truck because may need it again down the road. (I left a note in it to not drive on the road to remind me).

#71 3 years ago

I did cancel insurance and tag on one truck, because not needed now. Not selling the truck because may need it again down the road. (I left a note in it to not drive on the road to remind me).

Within a week of canceling State Farm sent me a check for 191.00. They were prompt with that.

Because I am on 6 month billing, it will still be a while before I know what kind of virus discount I end up with on the other vehicles.

And yes, insurance companies need to be generous and give back, I seen first hand how hardly no one was on the road for several weeks.

#72 3 years ago

Good news! I got my second $10.00 check. Yay!!!

#73 3 years ago

Forgot to ask is paying online any major saving? I pay via check every 6 months. There is some of a discount doing this, for me .

#74 3 years ago
    Quoted from chad:

Forgot to ask is paying online any major saving? I pay via check every 6 months. There is some of a discount doing this, for me .

Some companies offer discounts for Paid In Full or automatic payments. Don't know of any discounts for paying online vs check

#75 3 years ago

And yes, insurance companies need to be generous and give back, I seen first hand how hardly no one was on the road for several weeks.

Because of less traffic, people are driving faster than normal. So while there are less claims, the average claim is higher than normal. Accidents are causing more damage with worse injuries. Maybe not enough to offset fewer claims, but it definitely eats into some of that

1 week later
    #76 3 years ago

The nation's traffic is not otherwise at a perpetual standstill. The only stats that would support any notion that fewer drivers and less traffic equates to worse accidents and larger claims are manufactured by the insurance industry itself. And then to form the basis of a company line to pass down to agents getting repeatedly asked about rebates and reductions from customers. There will be less minor and less major accidents when you have significantly fewer vehicles on the road.

How about this: The roads are much safer now because, with fewer drivers, law enforcement can more easily police them and thwart recklessness. Relatives I have in law enforcement told me that the number of accidents they are reporting has dropped dramatically for months.

This isn't meant to disparage those of you who work in the insurance industry, but folks need to keep in mind that insurance companies will lie and cheat to get and keep your money. Don't believe me? Do a quick internet search and you will see various federal and state actions against many of them for fraud and bad faith. If you or I did these things, we would be in jail. The bottom line is that you simply cannot trust your insurance company to do the right thing.

#77 3 years ago
    Quoted from player-one:

The nation's traffic is not otherwise at a perpetual standstill. The only stats that would support any notion that fewer drivers and less traffic equates to worse accidents and larger claims are manufactured by the insurance industry itself. And then to form the basis of a company line to pass down to agents getting repeatedly asked about rebates and reductions from customers. There will be less minor and less major accidents when you have significantly fewer vehicles on the road.
    How about this: The roads are much safer now because, with fewer drivers, law enforcement can more easily police them and thwart recklessness. Relatives I have in law enforcement told me that the number of accidents they are reporting has dropped dramatically for months.
    This isn't meant to disparage those of you who work in the insurance industry, but folks need to keep in mind that insurance companies will lie and cheat to get and keep your money. Don't believe me? Do a quick internet search and you will see various federal and state actions against many of them for fraud and bad faith. If you or I did these things, we would be in jail. The bottom line is that you simply cannot trust your insurance company to do the right thing.

Non medical insurance fraud is a $40 billion a year problem costing the average family $400-700 in extra premium per year. If you have an insurance claim, you're more likely to lie or cheat the company than they're likely to cheat you.

#78 3 years ago
    Quoted from NTXCoog:

Non medical insurance fraud is a $40 billion a year problem costing the average family $400-700 in extra premium per year. If you have an insurance claim, you're more likely to lie or cheat the company than they're likely to cheat you.

Hmm, while that's true the FBI goes on to say the most common form of fraud that contributes to that number are bad insurance agents keeping the premiums. So I agree with player one, can't trust insurance companies or employees in general (sounds like you may be one and I'm betting you're honest)

Screenshot_20200728-190009 (resized).pngScreenshot_20200728-190009 (resized).png
    #79 3 years ago
    Quoted from NTXCoog:

Insurance companies love to cite this type of stat though it not the result of fraudulent claims as they would like you to think. Most people are not dishonest. But if you look hard enough, you will find that all of the major auto insurance companies have been found to be dishonest at times when denying or adjusting claims or coverage.

The average claimant is uneducated as to what he or she is or should be entitled to from their or someone else's insurance company. Insurance companies train their representatives to exploit this naivety.

People get prosecuted, ordered to pay restitution and go to jail when they are caught committing insurance fraud. And like with most crimes, many offenders escape prosecution. But the threat and fear is there. Insurance companies get slapped on the wrist and rarely have to make any restitution to those it cheated when caught acting fraudulently even on a widescale basis. There is no threat to them and no fear.

#80 3 years ago
    Quoted from trilogybeer:

No rebate , but I’ve got good auto insurance and they will take care of me when I need them . That’s more important than having an insurance company that gives a rebate now ,but gives me a hard time when trying to get my car fixed properly . At least to me it is.

Most state insurance commisioners have required (regulated) it of insurance companies that wish to renew their privileges of issuing new policies in their state. It's not really an emotional choice, it is a state mandate from each of the state insurance commisioners. HOW they return that money to policy holders is not dictated, but those companies MUST return the overages $ during 2020. You should look up your own state's inurance commissioner's office and see what they have mandated. Then you'll know if your company is in default with your states' insurance regulations.

#81 3 years ago

Interesting posts . Thanks for sharing!!

3 weeks later
    #82 3 years ago

I finally heard back, and there is no check coming. Instead my next payments due are supposed to have the deduction included. (I pay every 6 months).

52 days later...a check for 56.01 on my truck came today. Labeled Good Neighbor Relief Program. (state farm).

There are 82 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/auto-insurance-give-back/page/2?hl=player-one and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.