Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screenshot_20210129-212415 (resized).png
20201231_105516 (resized).jpg
20201211_104930 (resized).jpg
20201211_104935 (resized).jpg
20201211_104911 (resized).jpg
#1 3 years ago

So I have had Austin Powers for quite some time, works well. Now Dr Evil isn't going up, the DMD reads "Coil Malfunction."

The things is this "coil" is the relay board for Dr. Evil, and I have heard from a colleague of mine the joints might have to be resoldered.

Any other tips on inspecting/testing out the relay board? If the joints are bad, time to get a new one?

Many Thanks!

#2 3 years ago

So I have some pictures for the relay without the dust cover. Seems to be some brown stuff near the solder; could that be wear and tear?
Time to resolder?

20201211_104911 (resized).jpg20201211_104911 (resized).jpg20201211_104930 (resized).jpg20201211_104930 (resized).jpg20201211_104935 (resized).jpg20201211_104935 (resized).jpg
#3 3 years ago

In the last image, the 4 solder pads on the left of the relay look suspect. I would reflow/add solder. Can't hurt anything, so it's worth a shot

2 weeks later
#4 3 years ago
Quoted from kba78:

In the last image, the 4 solder pads on the left of the relay look suspect. I would reflow/add solder. Can't hurt anything, so it's worth a shot

I think I added solder to the wrong part. Are you talking about below where the wires are?

20201231_105516 (resized).jpg20201231_105516 (resized).jpg
#5 3 years ago

Yes, the relay itself not the wires. FYI, check the red and blue wires and make sure that solder blob is not touching each other

#6 3 years ago

So I added more solder to the board, all the relays. I turn the game on, Dr. Evil is still not going up; display reads "Relay Board Error." If the adding solder didn't work, what else could it be?

#7 3 years ago
Quoted from kba78:

Yes, the relay itself not the wires. FYI, check the red and blue wires and make sure that solder blob is not touching each other

I tried adding more solder to the board, relays too. Still no Dr. Evil going up, just says motor error. Any other suggestions?

1 week later
#9 3 years ago

So after talking to one of my contacts, it turns out it might be the motor. The machine has made a humming sound the last few times I have turned it on. Time to replace to motor or inspect it to see if it's worth saving?

1 week later
#10 3 years ago

UPDATE: So I tried to diagnose the motor, wire trace the problem, even unplug the machine to stop the shaking. Nothing works.

Here is a video of the possible source:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/18FN63OMScVRs51xGpaekCUOffKaeOTg0/view?usp=sharing

Please help! I've been going at this when I can. I really have no other ideas what to do. Comments and feedback would help!

#11 3 years ago

Have you checked the connector right behind that relay board, and the one behind the motor? Use your DMM skills to verify connectivity.

You can also DC the motor connector and use a 9v battery to verify the motor is working. However if the motor is not working you should still hear the relay clicking during test.

#12 3 years ago

Ok, that "rubber" shaft is actually a nylon sleeve over the motor shaft.
That is out of position. That actually goes in the black plastic that Dr evil is mounted on.
At the bottom of the black plastic, there is a rectangle opening that is curved on both ends. That shaft has to go in there. That with raise and lower Dr evil as the motor turns

#13 3 years ago
Screenshot_20210129-212415 (resized).pngScreenshot_20210129-212415 (resized).png
#14 3 years ago

Thanks for all of the help guys! This will get repaired next week.

#15 3 years ago

Keep us posted

#16 3 years ago

Well, that was easy! AP is now up and running. Thanks to kba78 for the insight!

#17 3 years ago

Happy to help!

1 week later
#18 3 years ago

UPDATE: So Dr. Evil is working normally again. Now there are two new problems.

1. Left slingshot doesn't function, coil probably needs to get cleaned.

2. Time machine: seems the timing belt is tight. I've had to wind it by hand a few times because the ball would get stuck. Time machine won't even spin. So is it time to get a new timing belt and coil?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Elkhart, IN
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 29.95
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Pimp

$ 50.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 12.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 39.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 6.00
Playfield - Protection
Apron Envy

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Valley, NEBRASKA
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

Boards
PinSound

Machine - For Sale
West Palm Beach, FL
$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Machine - For Sale
Cloverdale, CA
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/austin-powers-relay-board-dr-evil and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.