(Topic ID: 245839)

Austin Powers Laser Cannon Coil will not fire - any help out there?

By wamonkey

4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 10 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by wamonkey
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider wamonkey.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 4 years ago

Question - in test the magnet divertor to the laser works, the mechanism moves, the coil will not fire in test or in game play. I have checked all the fuses - all good, I have checked the wiring - all good, I have replaced the coil - still does not work, the fire button works (the sound can be heard on the fire).

Just does not fire. The MPU has no battery acid damage that I can see but I know the main ROM chip is right below where the battery holder is - can't say it never had a leaking battery but it looks super clean.

The wiring is not pinching or binding it all looks good.

Any tips or any help would be appreciated.

#3 4 years ago
Quoted from Thrillhouse:

Have you checked the plunger to make sure it moves freely in the coil sleeve? There is a test in the settings specifically for the laser, have you ran it with a ball in the cannon?

Yes I ran the Austin powers specific test for the laser even putting the ball in the cannon it would not fire, the plunger in the coil is free moving.

I kind of leaning toward a logic issue because the divertor does not que properly during game play but works in test. Just seems like some kind of mpu error. I don’t know why but everything looks good otherwise.

Still no luck to date - just won’t fire even though the fire button works.

#6 4 years ago

I figured it may be a board issue - - I figured something had to be wrong with the logic that makes it fire.

Thanks -

Quoted from PinMonk:

Did you check the drive transistor that controls it? Sounds like it's blown. Test Q4 ("laser beam eject) on the board. You'll need a multimeter.
If you don't know how to test, read up on it here:
http://pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Data_East/Sega#Driver_Transistor_.22Quick_Check.22

#8 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Do you have a multimeter to test the transistor? They're dead simple to test and relatively easy and cheap to replace.

Yes - I have all that I just hate doing board work just don’t want to damage a irreplaceable board, too hot burn a trace or something then I would be screwed. The board is not available anywhere.

#10 4 years ago

I think I tested it right - looks like the transistor is bad. Used the pinwiki guide....

Thanks all -

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
New Castle, CO
Machine - For Sale
Elkhart, IN
$ 39.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 12.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 29.95
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Pimp

$ 50.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
West Palm Beach, FL
Machine - For Sale
Cloverdale, CA
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider wamonkey.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/austin-powers-laser-cannon-coil-will-not-fire-any-help-out-there?tu=wamonkey and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.