Austin Powers Help

By bicyclenut

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 6 years ago

My ball doesn't eject into the shooter lane. I looked and see that the opto REc board (one closes to me) in the ball trough is not lighting up. Any idea where I can find why this is not lighting up? Is the board bad? I check all fuses and they are good. Thanks for any help

#2 6 years ago

after closely looking at the Opto board, the top light is lighting up but very dimly.

#3 6 years ago

If you go into coil test with the safety switch inside the coin door pulled out, can you make the ball eject coil fire?

#4 6 years ago

Reseat connectors to the small opto boards on the ball trough. Next step is reflow the solder on the optos and pins on the board the connector plugs onto.

LTG : )

#5 6 years ago

I cant get it to run any of the coil test. I did pull out then safety switch. The test does nothing. I did reseat the connectors and reflow the opto board and still same issue. This all happen when I was playing and the fire button wouldn't launch the ball. So I shut the game off and now it wont load the ball.

#6 6 years ago
Quoted from bicyclenut:

I cant get it to run any of the coil test. I did pull out then safety switch. The test does nothing. I did reseat the connectors and reflow the opto board and still same issue. This all happen when I was playing and the fire button wouldn't launch the ball. So I shut the game off and now it wont load the ball.

So none of the coils fire in the coil test? Did you check the F6, F7, and F21 fuses?

#7 6 years ago

I just started a game and manually loaded a ball and hit it into the scoop and it wouldn't kick it out either. So ive lost those coils.

#8 6 years ago
Quoted from bicyclenut:

I just started a game and manually loaded a ball and hit it into the scoop and it wouldn't kick it out either. So ive lost those coils.

Did you check the three fuses I mentioned?

#9 6 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Did you check the three fuses I mentioned?

yes, I just rechecked all fuses in the backbox and they are all good.

#10 6 years ago
Quoted from bicyclenut:

yes, I just rechecked all fuses in the backbox and they are all good.

Do ANY of the coils fire in the test mode with the safety switch pulled out to engage the coil power?

#11 6 years ago

Looks like most of the high power coils share the same power lead - YEL/VIO. Check the thick yel/purple connection at these coils: Trough up kicker, Auto launch, scoop, laser beam eject, dancing Austin, left pop bumper, right pop bumper, bottom pop bumper. Since that wire is daisy chained, if it's broken off a coil somewhere along that chain of coils, it will make the others not work.

#12 6 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Looks like most of the high power coils share the same power lead - YEL/VIO. Check the thick yel/purple connection at these coils: Trough up kicker, Auto launch, scoop, laser beam eject, dancing Austin, left pop bumper, right pop bumper, bottom pop bumper. Since that wire is daisy chained, if it's broken off a coil somewhere along that chain of coils, it will make the others not work.

Ok, thanks for the help. I will do this tomorrow. I was changing out lights and may have broken a wire. I did break the wire on dancing austin coil when I checked it a few minutes ago. Maybe it was already broken. Either way, I'll re solder and check the rest in the morning.

#13 6 years ago

Just an update. Thanks for everyone's help. I came to the conclusion that it must be something on the main board. So I took the game to my friend that does all my repairs when it comes to board work. He has the parts in stock and fixed it within a day. All good now.

#14 6 years ago
Quoted from bicyclenut:

Just an update. Thanks for everyone's help. I came to the conclusion that it must be something on the main board. So I took the game to my friend that does all my repairs when it comes to board work. He has the parts in stock and fixed it within a day. All good now.

Thanks for the follow-up. I hate when people ask for help and then the thread just ends with no resolution posted!

Was it a coil drive transistor on the board that blew, or something else?

#15 6 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Was it a coil drive transistor on the board that blew

Yes it was. Weird how it happened. I was playing a game and it just wouldnt launch the next ball. I had been changing bulbs and one light socket. I did blow a fuse on the GI side, but maybe it had something to do with the coil driver. I don't know.

#16 6 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

I hate when people ask for help and then the thread just ends with no resolution posted!

me too

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound

Machine - For Sale
Valley, NEBRASKA
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 50.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 29.95
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Pimp

Machine - For Sale
New Castle, CO
$ 39.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 12.95
Machine - For Sale
Cloverdale, CA
Machine - For Sale
West Palm Beach, FL
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/austin-powers-help-1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.