• Latest reply 10 years ago by T-800
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

appf.jpg
#1 10 years ago

I have a chance to pick up a good condition APowers for 2750$. ?????

#2 10 years ago

You better go play it and like the theme heh,

#3 10 years ago

That is at least $1000 too much

#4 10 years ago

It looks fun but I think the music and call outs would get old REAL QUICK.

#5 10 years ago

Take it from someone who used to own it. It is bad. I also couldn't get rid of it. Finally sold it for a loss after trying to sell it for about a year.

#6 10 years ago

I picked up a mint example with very low plays for $2,400 in 2011. If you like the campy movie, you'll like the audio/callouts (but they do get old, as dantebean says). Only kept it 3 months…didn't like the gameplay. Layout similar to LOTR, but the software/rules are very basic and the theme grew old. Sold it for roughly what I paid.

A "good condition" example should be in the $1,500-$2,000 range.

#7 10 years ago

one of those games where you hope you don't match - so you don't have to play another game.

#8 10 years ago

if you have to ask..............

#9 10 years ago

Picked one up for under 1k once and couldn't wait to get rid of it...

Also, the hole comes "pre-worn" because at the time Stern thought that would help with wear. I never liked this....

appf.jpgappf.jpg

#10 10 years ago

It's fun if the price is right. It's "poor man's" Monster Bash. Similar layout & rules. Liking the movie helps (which I do). $2750 is too much IMO unless it's really really mint, no scoop wear, Dr. Evil is unbroken or new, no wear by the flipper buttons. Looks and plays better with white rubber/red flipper rubber. Also, all AP's were mylared at the factory. I removed it on mine, which made it look like a brand new mint clearcoated playfield...this improved the speed and play as well. There's also a simple resistor fix you can do on the CPU to improve the sound (instructions are on Stern's site in the service bulletin section) ...it would be good to know if that fix was done or not - not that it should make a huge price difference, but it's nice to know you don't have to mess with it.

#11 10 years ago

You have to REALLY love Austin Powers to want that game in your collection.

#12 10 years ago

I love mine but I think you have to like the films as well. I don't know what the prices are like in the US but it sounds top money for one.

#13 10 years ago

There's a beautiful one down here that has exchanged hands for $500 under book three times in the past month and a half. Nobody likes it!

#14 10 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

You have to REALLY love Austin Powers to want that game in your collection.

I agree. I do not like it... at all. Awesome theme, but even the mini me spinner never seems to work right with the additional weight. Plays poorly

#15 10 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

It's fun if the price is right. It's "poor man's" Monster Bash. Similar layout & rules. Liking the movie helps (which I do). $2750 is too much IMO unless it's really really mint, no scoop wear, Dr. Evil is unbroken or new, no wear by the flipper buttons. Looks and plays better with white rubber/red flipper rubber. Also, all AP's were mylared at the factory. I removed it on mine, which made it look like a brand new mint clearcoated playfield...this improved the speed and play as well. There's also a simple resistor fix you can do on the CPU to improve the sound (instructions are on Stern's site in the service bulletin section) ...it would be good to know if that fix was done or not - not that it should make a huge price difference, but it's nice to know you don't have to mess with it.

+1

Poor man's monster bash with the same basic progression. shoot something 3 times start the mode. Start all six modes, mini wizard mode, complete all 6 modes, start Wizard mode. I'm actually looking for one, but I'd like to pay between 1400-1700.

#16 10 years ago

I own the machine and I really like it. If you dont like the theme, however, you probably won't care much for the game. I love the theme and find the game to be a lot of fun. My kids enjoy the game as well. I think a nice one is around 2K.

#17 10 years ago
Quoted from TurboBengal:

I agree. I do not like it... at all. Awesome theme, but even the mini me spinner never seems to work right with the additional weight. Plays poorly

This is an easy fix. Just dab a bit of lubrication on each bracket hole of the spinner (I used this stuff called Soy Lube! hehe) ....and Mini-Me will spin fast and crazy!!! Like a real spinner!

#18 10 years ago

I like mine but I'm in the minority here. No way would I have it as my only pin. It isn't deep, but I do enjoy it because sometimes I just want to play pinball for 15 or 20 minutes. It's a good change up kind of pin for me. Most don't like it so be prepared to hold it for a while. I do agree that they are asking way too much for it. I paid $2K and it is in great condition and that's out here in California.

#19 10 years ago

Poor mans monster bash. Well Monster bash is popular would say the Austin Powers theme beats assorted monsters from the past. I own one not my favorite but way better than the new start trek, x men IMHO. Mine is HUO bought from original owner very nice would sell for $2800.00

#20 10 years ago
Quoted from fattrain:

Picked one up for under 1k once and couldn't wait to get rid of it...
Also, the hole comes "pre-worn" because at the time Stern thought that would help with wear. I never liked this....

appf.jpg 47 KB

whose ... which ? hole?

#21 10 years ago
Quoted from alamo:

way better than the new start trek

More evidence, if any were needed, that opinions vary.

#22 10 years ago
Quoted from osaist:

whose ... which ? hole?

Look above at the post you quoted. See how the hole is rounded on the sides instead of a typical straight line rectangle shape??

#23 10 years ago

The game is miserable.

#24 10 years ago

I wish someone would retheme it to a IM LE.

#25 10 years ago
Quoted from Gundam_Pilot_:

The game is miserable.

I think like many games - a dirty, poor playing route game can taint an impression. A clean HUO AP can be lots of fun!

#26 10 years ago
Quoted from alamo:

I own one not my favorite but way better than the new start trek, x men IMHO.

#27 10 years ago

Great game for Family & Non Pin Heads. Gets played a lot during parties and everyone loves it. Not the best for a small collection unless you're a big Powers Fan. Grovvvvvvy Baby!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!-Joe

#28 10 years ago

I always wanted to play this pin as i really like the theme. Got the chance to play a really nice example at the arcade in Brighton, Michigan. Found out real quick this pin is not for me.

#29 10 years ago

I wouldn't be able to look at it for a full game and would have to leave it covered
when no one is playing it.

#30 10 years ago

Why the extreme of "terrible" or "good"? It's an ok game...I wouldn't pay more than $1500 for a nice one, but it's still decent. Like others have said, it's basically Monster Bash. It is skimpy on rules and has a horrendous art package, but it's a nice basic fan layout and pretty good humorous audio if you like the movies. Not many pinball machines are "terrible".

#31 10 years ago

I played one at a hotel in the Dells desperate for some pinball and thought this is the first machine I ever didn't like to play.

#32 10 years ago

This thread is making me kinda miss mine lol

#34 10 years ago

Played it this afternoon, It's quite fun actually not deep but very fun. 2 ramps, toilet, center shot nice flow. I liked the movies but as a theme for pinball I don't like it, If I had unlimited space and it was cheap I wouldn't mind playing it for a couple of months then flip it but I'm passing. Thanks to everyone for their advice. LATER

#35 10 years ago

Good man. You tried before you bought. Its a good game with solid fan layout shots. You should like the movies before even considering and it is also best in a large collection.

It is a sub $2K pin. But mini me spinning with weeeeee is a lot of fun.

#36 10 years ago

Fun the first once or twice I played it... now I can't get fart multiball out of my head. Pretty obnoxious. Didn't help the mini-me spinner will screw you over time to time if the ball catches him just right.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
West Palm Beach, FL
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
New Castle, CO
$ 50.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 6.00
Playfield - Protection
Apron Envy

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 39.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 29.95
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Pimp

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound

$ 12.95
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/austin-powers-good-or-terrible-pin and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.