62115833-3E8E-459D-BEF7-39908FF80A44 (resized).jpeg
20200714_010258 (resized).jpg
A0E910F0-6CB7-4A46-AE1E-248A25263FB3 (resized).jpeg
20200707_222748 (resized).jpg
20200707_222733 (resized).jpg
50088041772_1f91c8833d_3k (resized).jpg
50087234268_7b3264107a_3k (resized).jpg
50088041027_8b1b729aad_3k (resized).jpg
There are 366 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 8.
#101 3 years ago
Quoted from xsvtoys:

It was fun to see you here when I got into pinballs, I have been hanging around the Ars forums since 2003 and knew you from there. Sadly it’s practically a ghost town over there these days. Sometimes there aren’t even any posts at all for several days. I still check in only because of the handful of people who are still hanging around that really know their stuff. Frenzy, icestorm, continuum, and others. We had some entertaining times there over the years. Also their forum software dismally sucks compared to Pinside. Although I doubt if anyone cares, the whole place took a nosedive when Condé Nast took over.

We're working on a new forum package for Ars, but it's hard to find time for it sometimes with everything else we're working on. It's a small team.

The discussion is mostly on the front page now, our article comments are extremely lively. But hopefully we can bring some life back to the forum side, we'll see. More modern software would help at least some for sure.

None of it is remotely connected to Condé Nast, and more just the rise of social media murdering forums. That's what hurt us. Lots of people moved to Facebook (ugh). The only forums that have really survived are those that have really narrow focuses. Pinside is a good example of course, and Robin has done fabulous work with how he's wrangled bbPress into such a great package. That helps a ton.

#102 3 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

We're working on a new forum package for Ars, but it's hard to find time for it sometimes with everything else we're working on. It's a small team.
The discussion is mostly on the front page now, our article comments are extremely lively. But hopefully we can bring some life back to the forum side, we'll see. More modern software would help at least some for sure.
None of it is remotely connected to Condé Nast, and more just the rise of social media murdering forums. That's what hurt us. Lots of people moved to Facebook (ugh). The only forums that have really survived are those that have really narrow focuses. Pinside is a good example of course, and Robin has done fabulous work with how he's wrangled bbPress into such a great package. That helps a ton.

Well I’ll have to admit, I don’t look at anything at Ars except the forums. The articles are not interesting to me. When I want to know something specific about tech stuff, I can always rely on the Ars forums for no-nonsense, no-bs, and accurate answers. I like reading about tech/computer stuff but most of the sites that were good in the old days are now bloated with ads and fluff. Toms Hardware, Anandtech, etc come to mind. I haven’t found a place I like for this recently. I sure as heck don’t use Facebook. Well, much, anyway. Unfortunately like you said a lot of people like to use it, and there is often some pretty good stuff there. Pinball, Zenith radio owners, and Suzuki Samurai owners are some of the groups I’m in that I like. But I hate using Facebook and only look at it a few times a month.

There are still some good forums. I like audiokarma for retro AV stuff, and the Model Railroader forums. And AVS is still ok for long-winded analysis of video and audio. I like Pinside the best, not only because I like pins, but there are some great people here with a good sense of humor, plus a lot of really stupid whacky shit if you like that for some entertainment now and then.

#103 3 years ago

Didn't hear from my printer today, so I'm assuming shipping early next week. The speaker panels and cards are already on their way I think.

After this is done I might need to take another Pinside break, little disappointed in some things as of late here. Probably best to just fade away. Nice to talk to people for a bit though, still a lot of good people here.

#104 3 years ago

Just wanted to pop in and say that I’ve always considered this translight to be one of the coolest mods of all time. Happy to hear you’re doing well but bummed that it looks like we’re losing another creative OG who always had an interesting outlook on our hobby.

#105 3 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Didn't hear from my printer today, so I'm assuming shipping early next week. The speaker panels and cards are already on their way I think.
After this is done I might need to take another Pinside break, little disappointed in some things as of late here. Probably best to just fade away. Nice to talk to people for a bit though, still a lot of good people here.

Just tune out the riff raff

#106 3 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

And you are one of them! Lots of differing opinions on Pinside, but ultimately we are all here because we have an interest in pinball. It's cool to find common ground in something as simple as a silver ball and flippers game, but that is a building block that can lead to greater understanding across differing backgrounds and worldviews. I hope you stay engaged and focus on the pinball and bringing your welcomed expertise and artistic abilities as a positive force on Pinside (queue melodramatic music and fade to post credit screen years later where Aurich is teaching a diverse group of young Pinsider's about color saturation and instruction card compositions )

#107 3 years ago
Quoted from ImNotNorm:

Just tune out the riff raff

Every hobby has jerks and stupid people. I tune out plenty, and those that are too loudly stupid I add to my ignore list. But Pinside has some really deeply rooted issues that I can't ignore. There's a lot of hate here, and I'm not a fan. Frankly I don't need it in my life. I'm tired of adding people to that list.

It shows up in a lot of ways. The criticisms of games and ideas that turn personal fast. The constant need to tear things down. Just negative energy after negative energy.

I wrote about how the fighting game community and pinball are different here: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/backbox-podcast-let-s-talk-about-diversity#post-5705478

My point was when we're playing we're all on the same ground. But when we're a community, hanging out, shooting the shit, doing all of the stuff outside the game, the differences really appear. The FGC's diversity really shines at moments like this, when there's a conversation that needs to happen about how we come together. Pinside tries to pretend it's not happening.

That Backbox podcast thread I linked? Got locked right away because people were being shitty. And frankly a couple were letting their racist side show, let's not pretend otherwise. The Pinside response was to lock the thread right away, hand out some thread ejects a few hours afterwards, and then sit on it for a bit. Then Robin re-opened it with that post approval mode, where nothing shows up without review first.

Took hours for my post to be seen by a mod and appear. Which in and of itself is fine, they're not sitting there just waiting 24/7 to read my post. But let's be real about what that means, it's a conversation killer. That thread was buried alive instead of shot, but the end result will be the same soon enough.

So what does that mean, really? Look who's on that podcast:

Juana Summers (Baltimore Belles + Chimes, IFPA)
Jessica Kent (Belles + Chimes Chicago)
Josh Sharpe (IFPA)
Steven Bowden (Fun With Bonus + Deeproot)
Jack Danger (Deadflip)
Lauren Gray (host)

You're telling me those people discussing an issue inside of pinball is too hot and controversial for Pinside to handle? I have a problem with that. I don't care if you don't agree with them, but if we can't have even the most somewhat polite discussion then maybe there's not a lot of point in hanging out here.

#108 3 years ago

I was wondering how was lighted this alternate translite. If there is a pic available, I would be great. Unless, it will be a surprise!

#109 3 years ago
Quoted from colonel_caverne:

I was wondering how was lighted this alternate translite. If there is a pic available, I would be great. Unless, it will be a surprise!

Voici une photo pour te donner une idée.

408962359354f1f74f8bd4362a017a01246235ec.jpeg408962359354f1f74f8bd4362a017a01246235ec.jpeg

#110 3 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Every hobby has jerks and stupid people. I tune out plenty, and those that are too loudly stupid I add to my ignore list. But Pinside has some really deeply rooted issues that I can't ignore. There's a lot of hate here, and I'm not a fan. Frankly I don't need it in my life. I'm tired of adding people to that list.
It shows up in a lot of ways. The criticisms of games and ideas that turn personal fast. The constant need to tear things down. Just negative energy after negative energy.
I wrote about how the fighting game community and pinball are different here: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/backbox-podcast-let-s-talk-about-diversity#post-5705478
My point was when we're playing we're all on the same ground. But when we're a community, hanging out, shooting the shit, doing all of the stuff outside the game, the differences really appear. The FGC's diversity really shines at moments like this, when there's a conversation that needs to happen about how we come together. Pinside tries to pretend it's not happening.
That Backbox podcast thread I linked? Got locked right away because people were being shitty. And frankly a couple were letting their racist side show, let's not pretend otherwise. The Pinside response was to lock the thread right away, hand out some thread ejects a few hours afterwards, and then sit on it for a bit. Then Robin re-opened it with that post approval mode, where nothing shows up without review first.
Took hours for my post to be seen by a mod and appear. Which in and of itself is fine, they're not sitting there just waiting 24/7 to read my post. But let's be real about what that means, it's a conversation killer. That thread was buried alive instead of shot, but the end result will be the same soon enough.
So what does that mean, really? Look who's on that podcast:
Juana Summers (Baltimore Belles + Chimes, IFPA)
Jessica Kent (Belles + Chimes Chicago)
Josh Sharpe (IFPA)
Steven Bowden (Fun With Bonus + Deeproot)
Jack Danger (Deadflip)
Lauren Gray (host)
You're telling me those people discussing an issue inside of pinball is too hot and controversial for Pinside to handle? I have a problem with that. I don't care if you don't agree with them, but if we can't have even the most somewhat polite discussion then maybe there's not a lot of point in hanging out here.

I understand what you are saying. I think it's not exclusive to Pinside though. Everything is hyper partisan these days. Assholes are everywhere and social media (twitter, facebook, pinside, news forums, etc) just fuels that division.

Maybe it's easier for me to brush off or not engage because of the job I do. My work is such a negative place that Pinside seems like a utopia to me. (That says a lot about my work doesn't it? lol)

Anyways, I hope you stick around Aurich. Even if it's just to creep the forum without posting anything. You are an asset around these parts.

#111 3 years ago
Quoted from ImNotNorm:

I understand what you are saying. I think it's not exclusive to Pinside though. Everything is hyper partisan these days. Assholes are everywhere and social media (twitter, facebook, pinside, news forums, etc) just fuels that division.

Yeah, you're right about that for sure. I gave up Twitter for the new year, which has been a bit of a ritual for me for a couple years now, just a mental break for a month or two. This time I haven't gone back. I miss friends there, and it's how I kept up with news on fighting game and retro arcade stuff, but the tradeoffs right now are too much. I can't deal with with the constant anxiety, even when I'm not sucked into arguments or BS directly.

I'm not looking to talk politics on Pinside. I have some 20,000 posts here, pretty sure I've never gotten into the mud over anything really. Called someone out for being sexist or something, but if you want to know what I think about Trump you gotta just guess. Plenty of people here manage to slip in their thoughts a lot more explicitly, that's for sure.

But when it comes to community I'm passionate, and I stand for what I believe in. It shouldn't be political to discuss how to make pinball more welcoming for more people. If you make it such you're an asshole I don't want to be around. But beyond that, Pinside has let those assholes decide what we can talk about. And I'm not cool with that. This is the right time to be having that conversation, and the wrong time to take the stand that we can't.

#112 3 years ago
Quoted from ImNotNorm:

I think it's not exclusive to Pinside though. Everything is hyper partisan these days.

Yeah, Pinside was a Superfund site long before all the political crap of the last few years. It really boils down to one simple issue...

Which convieniently, I can't actually SAY WHAT IT IS BECAUSE IT'S AGAINST THE RULES.

#113 3 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

Which convieniently, I can't actually SAY WHAT IT IS BECAUSE IT'S AGAINST THE RULES.

I'm Iceman levels of drunk right now and I still won't tell you what I really think. And you know I've got the essays on deck too.

#114 3 years ago

Just emailed the list, finally taking payments. Translites have been reprinted and passed inspection and are shipping to me tomorrow, I got the speaker panels and instruction cards today.

I have a couple extras still, and I'll probably get some dropouts when I ask for the money, I always do.

IMG_0878 (resized).jpgIMG_0878 (resized).jpg

#115 3 years ago

PAID! Can't wait to install it! Thanks again for doing this amazing art work!

#116 3 years ago

Paid!

6beb1d9805596b30f743a615bad1770ff2265c34a87de1c803b0aa74343bed9a.jpg6beb1d9805596b30f743a615bad1770ff2265c34a87de1c803b0aa74343bed9a.jpg
#117 3 years ago

Paid!

#118 3 years ago

Paid! Cant wait to recieve this beauty.

#119 3 years ago

I'm still hoping there is a speaker panel for me

#120 3 years ago
Quoted from Daditude:

I'm still hoping there is a speaker panel for me

Should be fine, I almost always have extras just from how the process works. I have boxes of them I haven't opened yet, haven't counted to check.

#121 3 years ago

Sent my payment too. Now just gotta find a game to go with it!

#122 3 years ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

Sent my payment too. Now just gotta find a game to go with it!

Same here!

#124 3 years ago

The bulk of people have paid up already, you guys are nice and responsive, thanks. I just got the boxes today from Uline, while I'm waiting for the translites I can start taping them together. Not my favorite job, not gonna lie, I've taped so many of these damn things over the years.

But I'll get on it anyways so I'm ready to get everything out next week. Translites come on Monday according to UPS, but who knows what time. I'll pack up as soon as I'm able.

#125 3 years ago

Thank you for your work

Quoted from Aurich:

The bulk of people have paid up already, you guys are nice and responsive, thanks. I just got the boxes today from Uline, while I'm waiting for the translites I can start taping them together. Not my favorite job, not gonna lie, I've taped so many of these damn things over the years.
But I'll get on it anyways so I'm ready to get everything out next week. Translites come on Monday according to UPS, but who knows what time. I'll pack up as soon as I'm able.

#126 3 years ago

In theory I'm utterly sold out of this run, someone claimed my last extra.

I still have 7 people who haven't paid up or contacted me about there being an issue. If you're someone who doesn't want it anymore please just tell me instead of silently ignoring the payment email. It's not a problem, I can handle it, just don't leave me hanging.

UPS just sent me an update, translites are out for delivery, I should have them by mid afternoon in theory.

My printer told me the other day he's working on a plan to keep the last two printers running. So while I can't predict the future it seems like at least for now the danger of not being able to do these might be low. See how it goes.

Thanks!

#127 3 years ago

I sent you a pm about being on the waiting list if a kit opens up. Thank You!

#128 3 years ago

Still waiting on those people who haven't responded, dunno what's up with them. I'm not gonna hold your spot if you don't reply to me though. Then it's first come first served for what's left.

I'm working my way through packing, got a stack of boxes beginning to pile up in my office. Will do some more tonight.

#129 3 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Still waiting on those people who haven't responded, dunno what's up with them. I'm not gonna hold your spot if you don't reply to me though. Then it's first come first served for what's left.
I'm working my way through packing, got a stack of boxes beginning to pile up in my office. Will do some more tonight.

Shit or get off the pot folks!!

#130 3 years ago

Paid! Someone sell me a Shadow now!

#131 3 years ago

Hey Aurich , I saw the pic of the shipments you sent.

Looks like 45 or so. What's the over/under? I say over 45.

#132 3 years ago
Quoted from ImNotNorm:

Hey aurich , I saw the pic of the shipments you sent.
Looks like 45 or so. What's the over/under? I say over 45.

Over. People surprised me, I wasn't really expecting this much interest at this point. I'm grateful for the support though.

I'll be honest, it kinda makes me want to do a new project, but we'll see.

Quoted from Spagano314:

I sent you a pm about being on the waiting list if a kit opens up. Thank You!

Emailed you just now. These last 5 flakes are officially being cut loose. I'll have 3 left after darkknight and you if you still want it.

#133 3 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Well...click on my pinball icon, check my current line-up and make your choice for your next project!

#134 3 years ago
Quoted from colonel_caverne:

Well...click on my pinball icon, check my current line-up and make your choice for your next project!

Or do a past one ....

#135 3 years ago
Quoted from hoby1:

Or do a past one ....

Haha, I know, I know. Star Trek is just hard now, I gotta respect Stern's wishes.

Someone told me they got their package today, I didn't look up where they are, gotta be in CA though, that was really fast with the holiday weekend, I only dropped them off on Friday. I'm seeing a note about delays on the USPS website because of covid, see how the rest of the country does with getting them over the next few days.

Got another few to drop off, and then I'm down to my last two.

#136 3 years ago

I got mine today. Perfect condition, well packaged. Thanks Aurich!

#137 3 years ago
Quoted from Rondogg:

I got mine today. Perfect condition, well packaged. Thanks Aurich!

Wow, Vermont, go USPS, they hustled them out. It's always a little nerve wracking sending things out, I do start to relax when I hear about them arriving safely.

#138 3 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

^^^ THIS! ^^^

#139 3 years ago

Mine showed up today! Hope to get it installed later today. I'll be using the old one for toilet paper!

#140 3 years ago
Quoted from PhillyArcade:

Mine showed up today! Hope to get it installed later today. I'll be using the old one for toilet paper!

Sounds painful.

#141 3 years ago

Mine just arrived safe and sound! Can’t wait for the work day to end so that I can get this installed!

Thanks again for doing this run!

C50EB321-CA7E-4EBC-9167-DB0E695FA186 (resized).jpegC50EB321-CA7E-4EBC-9167-DB0E695FA186 (resized).jpeg
#142 3 years ago

Got mine yesterday too! I haven't opened it yet, but the package seems to be in great shape. Surprising honestly

Somebody needs to sell a decent Shadow near me now!

#143 3 years ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

Got mine yesterday too! I haven't opened it yet, but the package seems to be in great shape. Surprising honestly
Somebody needs to sell a decent Shadow near me now!

If I was to sell mine it would come with this kit also lol

#144 3 years ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

I haven't opened it yet, but the package seems to be in great shape. Surprising honestly

I've been doing this for a long time. It's pretty rare that things get damaged in transit. Definitely happens, but not often enough to be a concern.

I'm a fan of the USPS service honestly. Look how fast they got things out even with the holiday weekend and pandemic.

#145 3 years ago

And installed! My led color spread from the original translite actually worked out well for this one! I had some fire lights around Alec and I just moved them up to the face of the shadow. Thanks again for doing this run!

50087234268_7b3264107a_3k (resized).jpg50087234268_7b3264107a_3k (resized).jpg50087805786_9272c8fda4_3k (resized).jpg50087805786_9272c8fda4_3k (resized).jpg50088041027_8b1b729aad_3k (resized).jpg50088041027_8b1b729aad_3k (resized).jpg50088041772_1f91c8833d_3k (resized).jpg50088041772_1f91c8833d_3k (resized).jpg
#146 3 years ago

Is there a recommended lighting map for the Aurich translite? My Shadow came with it but I'm just wondering if it's set up the best that it could be.

Thanks!

#147 3 years ago
Quoted from SketchyMcDuff:

Is there a recommended lighting map for the Aurich translite? My Shadow came with it but I'm just wondering if it's set up the best that it could be.
Thanks!

I just use cool white LEDs in mine, I don't like colored lights. The only 'trick' I use is for my flashers I use the extendable LEDs that are on little flexible arms so I can aim them at the parts I want to light up more precisely.

But the fun of modding is to do whatever feels right to you, so don't feel like you gotta stick with "my way".

#148 3 years ago

Just put mine in love it thanks for the awesome translite Aurich.

20200707_222733 (resized).jpg20200707_222733 (resized).jpg

20200707_222748 (resized).jpg20200707_222748 (resized).jpg
#149 3 years ago
Quoted from SketchyMcDuff:

Thanks!

I did a mix of some blues and pinks and I did some fire leds for the face. Funny part is the mixture I had with the old translite actually looks damn near perfect for this one. I'll tweak it some more but it seems like blues whites and a purple here and there is nice mix. I did all blue led flashers.

#150 3 years ago

I have exactly one package left unclaimed. After this I dunno what will happen.

It seems like for the time being my printer is keeping the big printers going, so I'm hopeful I can still do translites in the future, but hard to say. I'm happy to collect names for another potential run after this last package is gone, but my feeling is it will be a while before there's enough to do it given the success of this one. At some point it all has to end.

Thanks everyone for the support over the years!

In the meantime I'm trying to poke at a stalled project to see if I have any fire for it. I kinda want to get it going again, but it's hard to get creative traction. People's enthusiasm in this thread has been helpful though, appreciate you guys.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 78.50
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Haus

6,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Denver, CO
$ 58.00
Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Mod Co.

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Aurora, IL
$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

€ 47.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 199.95
Electronics
PinSound

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

€ 47.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

7,250 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Hamilton, ON
$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

5,800 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Thornton, CO
€ 8.50
Flipper Parts
Pin-Decals

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 16.00
Playfield - Other
Slap Save Creations

€ 8.50
Flipper Parts
Pin-Decals

€ 38.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 366 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 8.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/aurich-s-shadow-translite-final-run-last-call/page/3?hl=tonyhoff1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.