62115833-3E8E-459D-BEF7-39908FF80A44 (resized).jpeg
20200714_010258 (resized).jpg
A0E910F0-6CB7-4A46-AE1E-248A25263FB3 (resized).jpeg
20200707_222748 (resized).jpg
20200707_222733 (resized).jpg
50088041772_1f91c8833d_3k (resized).jpg
50087234268_7b3264107a_3k (resized).jpg
50088041027_8b1b729aad_3k (resized).jpg
There are 366 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 8.
#51 3 years ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

Ha! I just did the same thing. The Shadow has been on my wishlist for a time now, but the stars haven't quite aligned on one yet. Hoping I can find a game to go with with package!

You're not the first person to buy the translite first while game searching. I had someone do that, find the game, but it already had my package on it.

I wish I could promise I will keep making these for as long as people want them, but it's probably smart to stock it away now if you really want it.

#52 3 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

You're not the first person to buy the translite first while game searching. I had someone do that, find the game, but it already had my package on it.
I wish I could promise I will keep making these for as long as people want them, but it's probably smart to stock it away now if you really want it.

Like someone else previously mentioned, someone is always looking for your translite package. If I find a game that already as one, I'm sure there will be someone else looking for a package down the line

#53 3 years ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

Like someone else previously mentioned, someone is always looking for your translite package. If I find a game that already as one, I'm sure there will be someone else looking for a package down the line

Someone just PM'd me a suggestion to use a printing service I don't feel like naming as an option. They were the first thing I tried over 6 years ago, and the quality sucked, and then I had an issue with them selling an unauthorized test print. Almost gave up on the whole thing then!

But it made me reflect back on what my plans were at the time. I really did this as a personal project, and figured I'd print up 10 of them in case anyone else wanted one. I forget who it was, but pretty sure it might have been vid, but somebody suggested that the translite probably wouldn't be that popular but people might want the speaker panel.

#54 3 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Someone just PM'd me a suggestion to use a printing service I don't feel like naming as an option. They were the first thing I tried over 6 years ago, and the quality sucked, and then I had an issue with them selling an unauthorized test print. Almost gave up on the whole thing then!
But it made me reflect back on what my plans were at the time. I really did this as a personal project, and figured I'd print up 10 of them in case anyone else wanted one. I forget who it was, but pretty sure it might have been vid, but somebody suggested that the translite probably wouldn't be that popular but people might want the speaker panel.

Not that we don't enjoy a dreamy Alec Baldwin staring at us while we're trying to hit loops all day, your art package is infinitely better and is just more comprehensive with the game overall. Glad you followed through with it in the end!

#55 3 years ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

Glad you followed through with it in the end!

Me too, I dunno that I would have done any of my other projects if this one hadn't happened.

Being back is kinda giving me the itch to toy with things again, but I dunno, we'll see how that goes. Normally it's getting a new game that sparks an idea, and I don't see that in the cards right now.

#56 3 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Me too, I dunno that I would have done any of my other projects if this one hadn't happened.
Being back is kinda giving me the itch to toy with things again, but I dunno, we'll see how that goes. Normally it's getting a new game that sparks an idea, and I don't see that in the cards right now.

Then buy a new Metallica!

#57 3 years ago

Could anyone tell me if The Shadow translite is the same size/dimensions as a Demolition Man translite?

I have an LED frame with a DM translite in it and was wondering if Aurich's TS translite would also fit.

Thanks

#58 3 years ago
Quoted from yzfguy:

Then buy a new Metallica!

Nothing wrong with the LE I have!

Quoted from ImNotNorm:

Could anyone tell me if The Shadow translite is the same size/dimensions as a Demolition Man translite?
I have an LED frame with a DM translite in it and was wondering if Aurich's TS translite would also fit.
Thanks

Yes, same size, all those games are standard, widebody or not.

#59 3 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Nothing wrong with the LE I have!

Yes, same size, all those games are standard, widebody or not.

Lol, I know there's nothing wrong with yours, but if buying a new game will get you to make that mod, then ya gotta do what it takes!

#60 3 years ago
Quoted from yzfguy:

Lol, I know there's nothing wrong with yours, but if buying a new game will get you to make that mod, then ya gotta do what it takes!

The last game I think I was tempted to buy because it would have been a lot of fun to mod was Iron Maiden. I haven't kept up with the mod market for it, but I saw a lot of untapped potential.

The only "LCD era" game I've bought so far though was TNA, and that only barely counts in that category really.

I'm trying to stick to positive opinions here now, but I could write a long post about everything I hate about companies are using those LCD screens. I know I'm pickier than most, but it's one of the things that keeps me less interested in the new titles now.

Stern hasn't done better animations than the dots on Metallica in my mind. With a ColorDMD (all my remaining games have them) it's all I need or want.

#61 3 years ago

I would think iron maiden would be a fantastic choice for mods. We Maiden fans go out of our way to support. I don't have the machine yet, but I plan on owning it.

#62 3 years ago

I am in the iron maiden fan club for instance.

#63 3 years ago
Quoted from Azmodeus:

I would think iron maiden would be a fantastic choice for mods. We Maiden fans go out of our way to support. I don't have the machine yet, but I plan on owning it.

I haven't put a lot of time on it, so I dunno what the long term appeal is really like for me, but I suspect pretty good. I like the layout a lot. I'm not a big fan of the band, but I don't mind listening to them while I play for a bit. I liked their original lead singer more though.

I got to play Archer and talk with Keith about it prior to his move to Stern, and he's clearly one of the best hires they've had in recent memory, so super happy for him and his success. I did play Jurassic Park some finally, and it's obviously a great game too. He's bringing the right kind of new thinking within the basic parameters of a pinball layout.

I dunno, if I had a chance to maybe trade my Tron for a Maiden or something I'd probably take it, but I'm not actively seeking out a game right now, or wanting to sell a game and then try and hunt one down.

I'd have to read up on the real consensus now between Pro and Premium too, and what's really worth it. And obviously there's nothing wrong with Zombie Yeti's art, it's not a game I'd get to replace a package I didn't care for, like I did with Star Trek. Would be more building on a solid foundation.

#64 3 years ago

Just wanted to chime in and say that I put this Shadow translite on my machine years ago (3 or 4 years now maybe??) and its still the sharpest translite in the lineup.

Its 100% can't miss if you are lucky enough to own a Shadow.

So, thanks Aurich.

#65 3 years ago
Quoted from BulkOfTheSeries:

Just wanted to chime in and say that I put this Shadow translite on my machine years ago (3 or 4 years now maybe??) and its still the sharpest translite in the lineup.
Its 100% can't miss if you are lucky enough to own a Shadow.
So, thanks Aurich.

Thanks! Pretty sure I remember shipping yours even, it might be the only one I've ever sent to Alaska. Possible there was one other, but not exactly a state I get a lot of orders from.

#66 3 years ago

I'm seeing the sign ups for orders slowing to a halt now. Response has been great, this will be plenty of packing for me, thanks everyone. But I think given that I'm going to close the pre-order list after the weekend and put the order in next week. There's no point in making everyone wait longer for no reason. I'll buffer in a few extras for latecomers.

Then we'll see what happens for the future. My printer told me he's fighting to keep these last two printers up and running. Really hope they stick around, never know if I'll get the itch for a new project. There's one title that's free and clear of trademark issues I've always meant to do but never got past initial sketches on. That's probably a pretty easy clue right there for what it is, but no promises.

#67 3 years ago

Just talked to my printer, told him I'll give him final numbers on Monday. Asked what he thought turnaround time would be.

"I’d say for sure within two weeks, but hopefully within one week. The printing is no issue, would just be getting it through laminating."

The lamination process is about getting the diffusion layer on the back, helps the translite light up evenly. It's not strictly necessary, I tried not doing it on a run of I think Star Trek translites once (back when I was still making those), but it does provide a better result, and I see no reason to cut corners at this stage.

So that's the timeline we're looking at.

#68 3 years ago

Super pumped you’re doing another run! I bought a translite on eBay that just showed up like 3 days before you announced you were doing this. I knew as soon as I placed the order you would show up and do another run! Lol

#69 3 years ago

Man, my Shadow has this package, and I'm still thinking about ordering a set....just in case something happens to the current set installed......

#70 3 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Thanks! Pretty sure I remember shipping yours even, it might be the only one I've ever sent to Alaska. Possible there was one other, but not exactly a state I get a lot of orders from.

As far as I know it is the only one up here!

#71 3 years ago

Just joined recently, glad to see you back here in pinside. I always appreciate your viewpoints on AP forum.

#72 3 years ago
Quoted from Thomas3184:

Just joined recently, glad to see you back here in pinside. I always appreciate your viewpoints on AP forum.

Heh, thanks, this is the thing about posting everywhere under my real name, I'm kinda easy to spot.

I don't post a ton on Arcade Projects, but great forum, lot of serious knowledge there. Try and contribute where I can. I'm a big fan of Darksoft's products, my arcade features his multiboards for CPS2, CPS3, and Neo Geo most nights. Well, featured, everything closed down right now. But whenever I get to host again those boards will be waiting.

#73 3 years ago

Final weekend warning!

I think I've got everyone already, but I'll bump this today and tomorrow to be sure before I close things down.

#74 3 years ago

I'm in; and I don't even have a Shadow!

#75 3 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

It's more like a photo exposure, with a continuous tone, which is why you don't see any dots or dithering when you look closely.

I had your Star Trek translate. I couldn't believe, the closer I looked at it, the more hd it got. I was like. "is this a print? Amazing work.

#76 3 years ago
Quoted from Rondogg:

I had your Star Trek translate. I couldn't believe, the closer I looked at it, the more hd it got. I was like. "is this a print? Amazing work.

Yeah, it's really cool tech, I can't imagine going back to anything else now. And of course it lights up beautifully. I know I can go with dark and rich colors and they'll pop when backlit, no washing out or dullness.

#77 3 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Yeah, it's really cool tech, I can't imagine going back to anything else now. And of course it lights up beautifully. I know I can go with dark and rich colors and they'll pop when backlit, no washing out or dullness.

Have you considered doing other games or now that the print service is on the way out, this is it?

#78 3 years ago
Quoted from BulkOfTheSeries:

Have you considered doing other games or now that the print service is on the way out, this is it?

I've started work on another game several times, just never found the traction. This is part of the whole "taking a break" narrative, when I hit burnout it really messed with my creative output too. I've learned I can't force it, just seeing how I find my way back to things. At this point I need something that sparks or inspires me, more than just a "good idea".

I dunno, we'll see. This is why I never announced a project until it's done though!

As for just general stuff I will say that the market for alt translites is pretty different now. I don't sell my Star Trek or ACDC stuff anymore, you can't really just do little community projects like that now. It's too big, too public, too easy to get asked to stop.

So going forward anything I do will steer clear of trademark issues. That limits the options for straight up "replacement" products.

#79 3 years ago

Okay, closed the form, will submit numbers to the printer and get this going. Lots of support both for the order and in personal messages, really appreciate everyone.

I'll buffer in some extras to be safe, so if you're late to the party you can always see if I still have any, just message me.

#80 3 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Okay, closed the form, will submit numbers to the printer and get this going. Lots of support both for the order and in personal messages, really appreciate everyone.
I'll buffer in some extras to be safe, so if you're late to the party you can always see if I still have any, just message me.

Happily waiting for the "payment due" email!

1 week later
#81 3 years ago

Printer told me they're working on speaker panels today, everything should be on track. Had a couple dropouts already, and someone just asked if it was too late to get in. Not too late, between the people dropped out and the extras I have slots still. Just PM me.

Otherwise hope to send the list the final work this week still, I'll be in touch when I hear more.

#82 3 years ago

Little update from printer: everything is due to ship to me on Friday.

#83 3 years ago

I just watched "The Shadow" movie for the first time last night. LOL....it's so bad it's good.

Looking forward to getting this translite Aurich

#84 3 years ago
Quoted from ImNotNorm:

I just watched "The Shadow" movie for the first time last night. LOL....it's so bad it's good.

It's not a great movie, but watching it made me appreciate how well they integrated the theme into the game. Everything but the damn translite lol. Like the locks popping open for Khan multiball, or the mirror shattering on the battlefield, just so many great details from the film.

#85 3 years ago
Quoted from ImNotNorm:

Looking forward to getting this translite aurich

I haven’t a clue who Margo is but prefer the mystery and makes me laugh

#86 3 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Little update from printer: everything is due to ship to me on Friday.

Sorry, just heard from him, small delay, now looking like shipping to me either Monday or Tuesday. Will still email everyone as soon as I know things are good to go.

#87 3 years ago
44yb9d (resized).jpg44yb9d (resized).jpg
#89 3 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Miss you o-din, stay well.

Crap am I too late to get on the list

#90 3 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Printer told me they're working on speaker panels today, everything should be on track. Had a couple dropouts already, and someone just asked if it was too late to get in. Not too late, between the people dropped out and the extras I have slots still. Just PM me.
Otherwise hope to send the list the final work this week still, I'll be in touch when I hear more.

Quoted from tonyhoff1:

Just PM him and you should be able to snag a spot from someone who dropped out.

#91 3 years ago
Quoted from tonyhoff1:

Already answered your PM, but for anyone else wondering, no, it's not too late. I went ahead and sprung for extras to be safe. I don't really love sitting on inventory, but I dunno when I'll order these again, so I'll deal with it. So by all means, take them off my hands.

#92 3 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Miss you o-din, stay well.

You too sir.

#93 3 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I have a lot of friends here still I think. If you're around and reading this lemme know how you're doing.

Good to see a post from you...I've been spending less time here as well, overall, but apparently just enough to still piss people off.

Oh well.

Quoted from Aurich:

Ars Technica, where I'm the creative director

Oof, I don't envy you having to manage any tech community at this point, especially with all the PS5/XBOX class warfare about to happen LOL. As an artist, what do you think about the PS5's design? I'm extremely mixed on it....the fact that it's just SO DAMN BIG, plus has a ridiculous unstable looking stand for horizontal use....it's going to be really hard to place this thing in my bedroom on my 4k tv where I currently have my PS4. I like that they went wierd with it, but...it doesn't fit anywhere, and won't stack with anything...it's the complete antithesis of how home theatre and gaming shelving stuff goes. That bugs the hell out of me. It will be very difficult to fit the PS5, Series X, and my cable box onto the limited space I have set aside for these things...

#94 3 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

As an artist, what do you think about the PS5's design?

I'm getting too old for this stuff I think. I just want it minimalist and out of my way. The less I notice it the better.

I'll reserve judgement until I see it in person, but I feel like maybe it's trying too hard. Just doesn't feel like they're grasping the moment, as far as design and what people want.

I dunno, this new generation doesn't excite me honestly just in general. I had a launch PS4, and then quickly realized there wasn't that much must have content that early. This time around I'm feeling no rush. I need a killer app to get me to bite. Right now it all looks like "more of the same", which isn't bad really, but it's also not a compelling reason to shell out money.

#95 3 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I'm getting too old for this stuff I think. I just want it minimalist and out of my way. The less I notice it the better.
I'll reserve judgement until I see it in person, but I feel like maybe it's trying too hard. Just doesn't feel like they're grasping the moment, as far as design and what people want.
I dunno, this new generation doesn't excite me honestly just in general. I had a launch PS4, and then quickly realized there wasn't that much must have content that early. This time around I'm feeling no rush. I need a killer app to get me to bite. Right now it all looks like "more of the same", which isn't bad really, but it's also not a compelling reason to shell out money.

I probably feel differently because I was in the opposite situation with the PS4 and Xbox 1. I didn't get a PS4 until ~ 2 years after launch, and just got an XB1 like....last year. If one of the new ones saves me from a very costly PC upgrade, it would be worth it just on that merit alone. If I do a PC upgrade, I want to get a new monitor, and the price that's being asked for adaptive sync monitors is absolutely batshit insane if you ask me.

#96 3 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

I probably feel differently because I was in the opposite situation with the PS4 and Xbox 1. I didn't get a PS4 until ~ 2 years after launch, and just got an XB1 like....last year. If one of the new ones saves me from a very costly PC upgrade, it would be worth it just on that merit alone. If I do a PC upgrade, I want to get a new monitor, and the price that's being asked for adaptive sync monitors is absolutely batshit insane if you ask me.

The new gen consoles will pass up my gaming PC, but right now I'm mostly using it for fighting games, and I can run all of them with maxed out settings, so I haven't felt limited in any real fashion.

Only next gen title I'm really thinking about right now is Cyberpunk 2077, have to think about what platform I'd want that on. I'm not a real FPS player, I don't care about mouse and keyboard, I'd probably play with a controller even on PC.

#97 3 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

The new gen consoles will pass up my gaming PC, but right now I'm mostly using it for fighting games, and I can run all of them with maxed out settings, so I haven't felt limited in any real fashion.
Only next gen title I'm really thinking about right now is Cyberpunk 2077, have to think about what platform I'd want that on. I'm not a real FPS player, I don't care about mouse and keyboard, I'd probably play with a controller even on PC.

I'm a FPS player, but only when we're talking about Overwatch. And Doom Eternal. And Wolfenstein. And....shit! Seriously though, I play primarly MMO games. FF14 takes up almost all of my gaming time for the last year. And it runs okay @ 2560x1440 on my GTX 970, but raytracing is the breakthrough I've been waiting literally my entire life for. I was playing around with POV-Ray when QUAKE came out, for crying out loud! I believe that used properly, it's got every bit as much the chance to change the visuals of gaming as much as GLQuake did for me all those years ago. TRANSPARENT WATER WHAAAAAAAAAT? I can't bloody wait for Nvidia to really show off the next RTX cards. I swore never to buy first gen graphics tech ever again (I had a Voodoo2 ha), so I've been waiting for better hardware and more games.

#98 3 years ago

Update: Prints were supposed to ship today (Tuesday), they're done, but was a delay at the shop. Should go out to me tomorrow. As soon as I have a tracking number and feel set I'll email everyone with payment instructions and we'll get things moving finally.

#99 3 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Update: Prints were supposed to ship today (Tuesday), they're done, but was a delay at the shop. Should go out to me tomorrow. As soon as I have a tracking number and feel set I'll email everyone with payment instructions and we'll get things moving finally.

Woohoo!!

#100 3 years ago

It was fun to see you here when I got into pinballs, I have been hanging around the Ars forums since 2003 and knew you from there. Sadly it’s practically a ghost town over there these days. Sometimes there aren’t even any posts at all for several days. I still check in only because of the handful of people who are still hanging around that really know their stuff. Frenzy, icestorm, continuum, and others. We had some entertaining times there over the years. Also their forum software dismally sucks compared to Pinside. Although I doubt if anyone cares, the whole place took a nosedive when Condé Nast took over.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 78.50
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Haus

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

5,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Tucson, AZ
$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

€ 8.50
Flipper Parts
Pin-Decals

€ 47.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 16.00
Playfield - Other
Slap Save Creations

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

7,250 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Hamilton, ON
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Aurora, IL
$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

€ 8.50
Flipper Parts
Pin-Decals

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

€ 47.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 58.00
Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Mod Co.

€ 38.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

There are 366 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 8.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/aurich-s-shadow-translite-final-run-last-call/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.