clif-preying-hands.jpg
IMG_20151021_220447042.jpg
roadcase-chop.jpg
IMG_20151020_012651929.jpg
image.jpeg
IMG_20151117_184155252.jpg
met-road.jpg
image_(resized).jpg
There are 92 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 8 years ago

I'm going to do a small run of speaker panel decals for Metallica themed after the roadcase design. These are obviously meant for the Roadcase Premiums (new or old style), but they'll fit fine on any game if you just dig the look. I have a couple friends I'm doing these for, figured I'd see if anyone else wanted them. This is original art, no assets from Stern or Metallica used.

I don't have these printed yet! I'm just looking for pre-orders so I can figure out roughly how many I should make, this might be a one-time thing. I'll order a test print to make sure they fit, I can post pics of that when I get it.

Since this is a niche item and I just don't have the time or energy to manage splitting orders for the two backbox styles (wooden speaker panel, new metal speaker panel) every order will just come with both. Split it with a buddy, give one away at league, or just toss the extra one in a drawer.

I might include some other goodies, there's room to print more decals inside the DMD and speaker holes, so I'll try and include a couple surprises.

Price isn't set yet, but should be in the $50 range at most, shipped in the US. Might be more for international.

-------

If you're interested in a set of these please sign up here, pre-order interest only, no money required:

http://goo.gl/forms/9ZdqZNP7To

Each order will come with both decalsEach order will come with both decals

(Mods, I tried to make this a market post, but it wouldn't let me post an ad for a mod, kept asking for my game condition, which of course I couldn't enter, there is no game for sale. Tried several times. Might be a bug. This is just an interest check, not a sale thread yet, so hopefully okay.)

#2 8 years ago

Looks good! ACDC?

#3 8 years ago

Maybe. I'm not actually a big fan of wooden speaker panel decals. I did this for a friend who has the new metal backbox, and then did the wooden one so that centerflank could get hooked up. So I was motivated since it was a personal project for friends.

No idea how many Roadcase games are out there, or if people will want this on another style of Metallica, but as long as I'm doing them figured I'd offer.

#4 8 years ago

Any chance you could possibly do one that resembles grave stone for the MET LE?

#5 8 years ago

Awesome!

#6 8 years ago
Quoted from jk2171:

Any chance you could possibly do one that resembles grave stone for the MET LE?

I have an LE, I can look at that, but I dunno, might be too much gravestone with the bottom of the backglass covered in them.

Honestly though I don't have a ton of time for side mods these days. I finished this up with a little lull in Alien work, wanted to hook my friends up with it. The motivation was this last run of Roadcase games, no one likes the decal on the speaker panel, it doesn't match the cabinet at all. So this was to fix that, and I did a wooden one while I was at it because it didn't take long to modify it to fit that too.

I think this would probably look cool on any version of Metallica, but it's meant for the Roadcase, there aren't a ton of them, and so I suspect this will be a one-time niche thing. Have to see if there's any interest.

#7 8 years ago

Every time I see a plain black speaker panel, I see a lost opportunity. Every Stern from the last 10 years needs the Aurich treatment.

#8 8 years ago
Quoted from nosro:

Every time I see a plain black speaker panel, I see a lost opportunity. Every Stern from the last 10 years needs the Aurich treatment.

The wooden panels just aren't the best canvas for decals. The coolest ones I've seen are what Matt from Back Alley did for POTC.

The new metal panels Stern is doing are way better for decals, nice and flat.

#9 8 years ago

Looks awesome Aurich! Spotted a tiny glitch you'll want to fix if you haven't already: the crease/bend shadowing on the pair of stickers at the top right doesn't line up properly in the reshuffled design for the wooden speaker panel.

#10 8 years ago
Quoted from accidental:

Looks awesome Aurich! Spotted a tiny glitch you'll want to fix if you haven't already: the crease/bend shadowing on the pair of stickers at the top right doesn't line up properly in the reshuffled design for the wooden speaker panel.

Derp, so it doesn't, must have accidentally shifted it when I was preparing the screen image.

I can already tell this is going to be a very limited one-time deal, response is pretty low. Which is fine, this was a personal project with a niche application.

#11 8 years ago

Awesome job, my Road Case is badly needing this. Pre-order info sent!

#12 8 years ago

Is the one for the metal speaker panel going to be magnetized for easy installation and removal?

Brad

#13 8 years ago
Quoted from Leachdude:

Awesome job, my Road Case is badly needing this. Pre-order info sent!

People like you are the reason this was worth it even if I only end up making 5.

Quoted from jellikit:

Is the one for the metal speaker panel going to be magnetized for easy installation and removal?
Brad

Nope, just a decal. That magnet idea is smart though.

#14 8 years ago

I know someone making some mentioned going to magnets for those reasons and it made it easier to not deal with the covered holes that already exist in the panel. I don't follow most of the mod stuff, but I did catch that somewhere...

Brad

#15 8 years ago

Lipstick on a pig

#16 8 years ago
Quoted from jellikit:

I know someone making some mentioned going to magnets for those reasons and it made it easier to not deal with the covered holes that already exist in the panel. I don't follow most of the mod stuff, but I did catch that somewhere...
Brad

Yeah, the Pingraffix guys are doing that. I think it's a smart idea, it's not something I'd try to look into for like 5 decals though. Not worth the time and effort and expense, this is a very small project for a handful of people.

Quoted from DefaultGen:

Lipstick on a pig

Well you still have to fix the translite, but I can't help with that.

#17 8 years ago

You are the bestest!

Is that mine in the first pic? So happy the color DMD is included. Thanks!

#18 8 years ago

Great work! I'd consider this a road case must! Always looking forward to whatever else your brewing

#19 8 years ago

I am glad you did this because we do get many requests for this and Honestly swamped here...looks great Aurich!.I envisioned something similar but you executed it much better than i had envisioned.I really like the hinges you added..Makes total sense and perfect match.That looks tight..great Job as usual!

And if you want we can even print these out for you on our super strong material ...even if its a small run..we can do it..

Let us know.

Joe

#21 8 years ago
Quoted from jellikit:

Brad

Just stick Aurichs decal to this and cut out the speaker holes. Im not sure this is the exact size but its just to give the idea that it can be done for ~$10

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005HY990G

#22 8 years ago
Quoted from joeraptor2003:

I am glad you did this because we do get many requests for this and Honestly swamped here...looks great Aurich!.I envisioned something similar but you executed it much better than i had envisioned.I really like the hinges you added..Makes total sense and perfect macth.That looks tight..great Job as usual!
And if you want we can even print these out for you on our super strong material ...even if its a small run..we can do it..
Let us know.

Hey Joe, we should talk.

#23 8 years ago
Quoted from GAP:

How about a road case translite

Heh, no question that the Roadcase machine needs it, the stock photo translite compared to the Dirty Donny ones is bleh. I won't be doing anything with Metallica branding on it though, so really not much chance of doing a translite.

Best bet is to get a Pro or Monsters translite from Stern still.

#24 8 years ago
Quoted from ZenTron:

Just stick Aurichs decal to this and cut out the speaker holes. Im not sure this is the exact size but its just to give the idea that it can be done for ~$10

I like your idea, I am not a "mod" guy myself so I will readily admit I am not well versed on what can be done or how. Thanks for the link!

Brad

#25 8 years ago

That magnetic sheet material is just short of being wide enough to work, at 24" it won't cover the whole speaker panel. Just FYI. So even if you stuck a decal to it, and carefully cut really clean round holes and the DMD hole, it still wouldn't work, you'd need something a couple inches wider. Or you'd have to splice two pieces, which could work with the decal I guess.

Also, I think this is probably obvious, but just to be certain the magnetic stuff would only work on the new style games Stern is doing, the original Metallica run has wooden speaker panels, nothing for a magnet to stick to.

I'll talk with Joe, maybe we can make the magnetic style available.

#26 8 years ago

Hey Aurich

Something seems to be very wrong with my pin side mail right now. i keep sending blank messages.

Please send me your info to my email.

I am sure we can figure out how to get this to you guys.

[email protected]

#27 8 years ago

Wondered about those PMs, no problem, emailing you.

#28 8 years ago

Huh... Thought something was different about my road case. Stern website pics show a black panel for the speaker panel... What do others with the road case have?IMG_20151117_184155252.jpgIMG_20151117_184155252.jpg

#29 8 years ago

This is the one from pinball refinery which I thought joe raptor had made.

image.jpegimage.jpeg

#30 8 years ago
Quoted from kcZ:

Huh... Thought something was different about my road case. Stern website pics show a black panel for the speaker panel... What do others with the road case have?IMG_20151117_184155252.jpg

That is how the new run of roadcases came.

#31 8 years ago
Quoted from kcZ:

Huh... Thought something was different about my road case. Stern website pics show a black panel for the speaker panel... What do others with the road case have?

You have the new style one, with the new backbox that first started with Star Trek. It has a metal speaker panel instead of wood.

The old ones were black as you noted, and Stern hasn't updated their website. So only people who bought the latest run of Roadcase Premiums have that new decal. No offense to your awesome game, but that skittles colored decal looks weirdly out of place with the Roadcase cabinet, and that's why I made this decal, to fix that.

I only added the wood version to make centerflank happy.

#32 8 years ago

So here's the good news: Joe from Pingraffix is going to sell these for me. That's good for everyone. You can get his new clever magnet style if you want. And honestly I was going to do just one run and then stop making them, I don't have the time to support this over the long haul. He has a company that does this sort of thing every day, and can keep it in stock for you.

I'll work it out with him, and I'll send an email to everyone on my list to a link on his site when it's ready, so feel free to keep signing up, you'll still get communication from me with a buying link.

#33 8 years ago

Yeah... I was thinking about complaining to Stern to see if I could score a pro translite

#34 8 years ago
Quoted from kcZ:

Yeah... I was thinking about complaining to Stern to see if I could score a pro translite

Do it! People in the past haven't seemed to have trouble getting them. It's the Monsters one that's a pain to acquire.

#35 8 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

It's the Monsters one that's a pain to acquire.

and silly expensive

#36 8 years ago

Don't be jealous!

IMG_20151020_012651929.jpgIMG_20151020_012651929.jpg

#37 8 years ago
Quoted from yzfguy:

Don't be jealous!
IMG_20151020_012651929.jpg

Almost thumbs downed you for cropping the hammer out of that photo!

#38 8 years ago

Quick and dirty chop of the photo above with the new decal:

roadcase-chop.jpgroadcase-chop.jpg

#39 8 years ago

Damn... You are good.

#40 8 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Almost thumbs downed you for cropping the hammer out of that photo!

LOL! Didn't notice that!!/ here ya go....

IMG_20151021_220447042.jpgIMG_20151021_220447042.jpg

#42 8 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

So here's the good news: Joe from Pingraffix is going to sell these for me. That's good for everyone. You can get his new clever magnet style if you want. And honestly I was going to do just one run and then stop making them, I don't have the time to support this over the long haul. He has a company that does this sort of thing every day, and can keep it in stock for you.
I'll work it out with him, and I'll send an email to everyone on my list to a link on his site when it's ready, so feel free to keep signing up, you'll still get communication from me with a buying link.

Thank you both for taking on this project and apply your skills, it is appreciated!

Brad

#43 8 years ago
Quoted from kidchrisso:

Wish you did one for METLE...

I mean, it's not out of the question, I own a METLE myself. I haven't honestly come up with an idea that I liked enough to want on my personal game, so it hasn't happened.

My next Metallica mod, if I ever finish the damn thing, will work on all games.

#44 8 years ago

Quit teasing about this. It's just plain mean.... I'm taking my hammer out in protest!

#45 8 years ago
Quoted from yzfguy:

Quit teasing about this. It's just plain mean.... I'm taking my hammer out in protest!

I won't share what it is, but, anyone who wants to visit me personally can play test it. Come on out!

#46 8 years ago

I'm going to be honest and say I am not impressed with this one Aurich. That being said, I love 99% of what you do and i am glad that you go out on a limb and do these mods. Keep up the good work, but this one is not for me.

#47 8 years ago
Quoted from thedarkknight77:

I'm going to be honest and say I am not impressed with this one Aurich. That being said, I love 99% of what you do and i am glad that you go out on a limb and do these mods. Keep up the good work, but this one is not for me.

No worries.

Do you have a Roadcase Premium? Honestly it was only truly designed for people who do.

#48 8 years ago

Been waiting since you first mentioned this, I'm in

#49 8 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

No worries.
Do you have a Roadcase Premium? Honestly it was only truly designed for people who do.

Yeah, that is the issue, I have a Monster, this fits great with the road case theme. Aside from that though, when you are looking at the game from a players vanishing point, you cannot see the side cabinet art. I personally believe that the speaker panel art should be designed to compliment the translite, playfield or apron and less with the cabinet art. The challenge with the road case is the translite, playfield, apron and cabinet are so fragmented that there is really no composition/theme shared by either 4. The Road case needs a new translite!.........Do you like how I slowly built my case up to get you to make a new translite? Ha! You the man!

#50 8 years ago
Quoted from thedarkknight77:

The Road case needs a new translite!.........Do you like how I slowly built my case up to get you to make a new translite?

Very subtle.

Not in the cards, but nice try!

I'll try and get the files for this over to Joe today.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Chrome Candy

10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Middletown, DE
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 135.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 4.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Lighting - Interactive
Hookedonpinball.com

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 29.95
$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 1.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 149.00
$ 29.95
$ 24.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 16.00
Lighting - Other
Slap Save Creations

11,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Lubbock, TX
11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mount Pleasant, WI
$ 19.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 22.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 93.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Z

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

There are 92 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/aurich-mod-interest-check-metallica-speaker-panel-decals/page/1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.