Topic Stats

• 284 posts
  • 198 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by emkay
  • Topic is favorited by 12 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 17 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

bananalien.jpg
image.jpg
autopilot-1.jpg
Airplane.jpg
image.jpg
dune-1984.jpg
acdc-helen-spinner2.gif
theatermove.gif
image.jpg
Mother Loader.jpg
Capture.JPG
963.png
alienCheers.jpg
aurich.jpg
image.jpg
CaliWales.jpg

There are 284 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 6.
#1 3 years ago

Heighway Pinball is very happy to announce that Aurich Lawson has joined the Heighway Pinball team – specifically as Creative Director for their upcoming ‘Alien Pinball’ game.

Aurich is an artist, graphic designer and pinball collector from California. When he's not tinkering with pins or designing art packages for them he's the creative director for technology geek site Ars Technica

Company CEO Andrew Heighway says “development of our ‘Alien Pinball’ game has vastly accelerated recently, and it is important that we bring the very best talent on board to make this the best game possible. I approached Aurich because I am a big fan of his work, and his attention to detail. Aurich is also a huge fan of the Alien films and his passion and commitment can help us to deliver a truly authentic art package for this game”

Aurich says "I'm a huge fan of both Alien and Aliens, they both stand alone for me as excellent films, but I love how well they pair together too. Alien as more of a horror film, lots of quick glimpses and intimate confines, and Aliens as a more full on action picture, where you really get to see the aliens come into their own. When Andrew approached me about working on the designs for a game based on both movies I didn't even have to think about it, I knew I couldn't let an opportunity like that pass me by.”

Aurich goes on to say “I'm really excited to work with Heighway and the modern technology they're incorporating into their pins. Ideas like embedded full color LCD panels and inductive switches I think will bring a lot to the game, while still staying true to the kind of authentic pinball I love. It's really obvious Andrew is just as passionate about these films and pinball as I am, if not more. Working together on this game is proving to be a real labor of love, as we both want it to represent these films in a great way. I can't wait to be able to explore what we are able to achieve together."

Heighway will be announcing more additions to the team shortly.

Aurich-Selfie.jpg
#2 3 years ago

Super excited about this! Can't wait until I can show some work, I know everyone is itching to see the art.

#3 3 years ago

congrats Aurich!

#4 3 years ago

F--k....there goes my hopes of a one-off project heh. Congrats ya bastage!

#5 3 years ago

Awesome!! Congratulations!

#6 3 years ago

Wow! Congrats Aurich!

#7 3 years ago

Congrats Aurich!

#8 3 years ago

Holy shit... "one of us"!! Exciting! Congrats!

#9 3 years ago

Cool, congrats!

#10 3 years ago

Congrats Aurich . Looking forward to your work.

#11 3 years ago

congrats Aurich!

This is a VERY good move for Heighway!

#12 3 years ago

Wow I was not expecting this! Congrats!

#13 3 years ago

You were bound to give them critiques, so you might as well get paid for it!

#14 3 years ago

Congrats, man!!

#15 3 years ago

Awesome, can't wait to see some designs!

#16 3 years ago

Hey! You don't look anything like your avatar!

Congrats Aurich. Well we know they are going to have a good backglass...

#17 3 years ago

Wow. Congrats!

#18 3 years ago
Quoted from Sammy31:

Hey! You don't look anything like your Avatar!

Haha, my avatar is just a random tattoo image. Not my ink, has nothing to do with me, was just something I picked when I signed up for Pinside, and it sort of stuck. Not gonna change it now.

It was sort of embarrassing to take a selfie for this, but I couldn't find any recent photos of me, so I just have to live with it. I meet people at shows all the time, not a secret what I look like or anything.

[NOAUTOLINKS]

#19 3 years ago

Congrats, first an impact on the Hobbit, and now Heighway. Glad I got my ST translite already, price will be going up now that you're famous.

#20 3 years ago

very cool hope to see some exciting things coming from this..

#21 3 years ago

I like this idea. Makes a lot of sense.

#22 3 years ago

Cool news, congrats to both Aurich and Heighway for what could be a great relationship.

#23 3 years ago

Great to see that Heighway has gained an excellent, experienced, and well respected pinball artist! Aurich has had great interaction with the community in the past, and it will be awesome to have such an active Pinside member now working with a pinball company!

#25 3 years ago

Congrats man. Game over!!

#26 3 years ago

Congratulations Aurich. Well deserved!

#27 3 years ago

Congrats and Prosper.

#28 3 years ago

Congrats Aurich!

#29 3 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Haha, my avatar is just a random tattoo image. Not my ink, has nothing to do with me, was just something I picked when I signed up for Pinside, and it sort of stuck. Not gonna change it now.
It was sort of embarrassing to take a selfie for this, but I couldn't find any recent photos of me, so I just have to live with it. I meet people at shows all the time, not a secret what I look like or anything.
[NOAUTOLINKS]

Yeah, I was surprised that you looked so... Normal.

#30 3 years ago

Congrats Aurich! Just made me move Heighway into the serious consideration column.

#31 3 years ago

Congrats! Really excited to see what you and Heighway have in store for us. Alien is an A+ theme for me (The original is my favorite) and I'm sure your artwork will do it justice.

#32 3 years ago

Make sure there's a giant image of Bill Paxton on the game - the REAL star of the Alien films.

#33 3 years ago

Great move by Heighway. But are you prepared for all the Pinside flack when your art is scrutinised?

#34 3 years ago

Congratulations! Really exciting to have another person who is obviously an Alien(s) fan on board.

#35 3 years ago

Congrats to both Aurich and Andrew!

#37 3 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

You were bound to give them critiques, so you might as well get paid for it!

It's funny because it's true!

Seriously, I can't say enough good things about how Andrew does business. He has the straightforward, honest communication that I wish every company had. People have probably already seen that he's open to contributions and ideas, he welcomes input.

If you listened to his C2C podcast interview you know he's serious about making games. Wants to expand the market, help bring pinball back, and do things in a serious way. This isn't just noodling around in a garage for the heck of it.

But he's also so seriously passionate about Alien, and making the game as great as it can be. I really wasn't looking for a pinball "job". But when he contacted me and we had a chance to talk it was just obvious that the fit was there. This is how I've been thinking (and saying, let's be honest, I type too much) pinball should be done. I couldn't see passing up the opportunity.

I really appreciate all the comments and faith, now I just need to deliver on them. I won't lie, I'm feeling some pressure on this one! But that just means I've got to make sure I stick with what's always worked for me before: being my own harshest critic, combined with knowing when to let something go and call it done. A dream game that stays a dream doesn't do anyone any good.

And Heighway has some really cool toys to play with. We were talking about RGB lighting today, and let me tell you, I love me some RGB lighting. Fully addressable RGB GI? Yes please! And while I really do love dots, I will admit that not being limited to 128x32 pixels sounds pretty rad too.

#38 3 years ago

Heighway is going to have a really killer 2016. Andrew has quickly become my most favorite man in pinball, his thought process, decision making, and communication are top notch...... and you can see and hear the passion for the game when he speaks. Now the art is going to kick ass!.... I believe you guys will do very well in the future.

#40 3 years ago

Does that mean he's moving?

#41 3 years ago
Quoted from dendoc:

Great move by Heighway. But are you prepared for all the Pinside flack when your art is scrutinised?

Yes! I mean, this won't be the first time I've posted my art here obviously, but anything I do is fair game, I wouldn't have it any other way. If I dish it out I can take it too.

I really hope everyone just loves it obviously, but if you don't by all means tell me why. I have thick skin, I can take criticism. And if there's something we can do to improve things then I want to know. No promises of course. We're working with a license, there are going to be rules we have to follow. And your ideas also might suck.

My hope is that I can continue to be the same member of the community I've always been, and I'm just as open to comments and PMs now as I was before.

#42 3 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Does that mean he's moving?

No way! Wales vs California? I'm crazy enough to think working on a pinball game sounds like fun, but not that crazy!!!

#43 3 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Wales vs California

CaliWales.jpg

#44 3 years ago

Congrats Aurich! I suddenly became interested in the Aliens pin now that I know that they have the best possible art talent on board!

#45 3 years ago

This is wonderful news! Congrats Aurich

#46 3 years ago

Just for the hell of it.......i know you can't share anything, Have you already been working on the art or is this a very new developement? I know the backglass is going to be insane, and i cant wait to see what you do on the playfield.

#47 3 years ago

Congratulations Aurich and Heighway! Really interested to see the art package now.

#48 3 years ago

Salutations! I hope is a fantastic turn of events for both parties!

#49 3 years ago

Damn it, now I have to put money aside for another game. Heighway won't regret this hire.

#50 3 years ago

Congratulations Aurich.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Melbourne, VI
€ 50.00
Boards
FLIPPROJETS
€ 8.40
$ 269.00
€ 85.00
Boards
FLIPPROJETS
€ 15.00
Boards
FLIPPROJETS
£ 45.00
Lighting - Led
PinballToys
$ 194.99
Lighting - Led
PinballBulbs
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 235.00
Boards
RS Technologies
$ 109.00
$ 6,995.00
Pinball Machine
Little Shop Of Games
$ 9.99
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
There are 284 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 6.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside