Topic Stats

• 6 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Tuukka
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 1 year ago

So, when I bought my Star Trek, it was my very first pin, and I knew almost nothing about pinball (the tech, the gameplay, the culture, etc)

Looking back now, I probably should not have reset the "total games played" in the standard audits. It's great knowing how many games I've played since owning it, but I probably should have taken note of the games played BEFORE I got it.

Is the lifetime total of games played on a Stern SAM system buried elsewhere (like a car odometer), or is that information long gone?

#2 1 year ago
Quoted from jonnyqtrek:

Is the lifetime total of games played on a Stern SAM system buried elsewhere (like a car odometer), or is that information long gone?

SAM System can be erased.

I believe Spike 1 & 2 does keep a total forever.

LTG : )

#3 1 year ago
Quoted from LTG:

I believe Spike 1 & 2 does keep a total forever.
LTG : )

Ahhh. Thanks kindly!

#4 1 year ago

Slightly OT, but where is the forever total stored? In the SD card or EEPROM/flash inside CPU chip or an external EEPROM on CPU board?

Car odometer mileage is stored in a few different places in various car MCU's so it is hard to totally reset. But how hard is it to make a Spike game look like it has never been played, meter-wise?

#5 1 year ago
Quoted from LTG:

Plays yes, earnings, no.

Lifetime earnings is one that can't be erased. It's in the "audits/earnings" menus on SAM and after. It's stored on the MPU. Problem is that it ONLY accounts for "paid games", not replays or fee plays. Also, it would not be accurate if the MPU in the game was replaced by Stern at any point in it's life. The LIFETIME EARNINGS audit can't be easily erased. It's not a great indicator of plays anyway because there's no good indicator of what the operator was charging for a game other than what it was left on when you got it. I'm not going to go into how you might be able to erase it because honestly, it will cause more harm than good.

So, it's a good indicator if a SAM game is HUO but NOT a good indicator of total lifetime plays (unless it's ONLY ever been on route, prior to a homeowner buying it).

Quoted from Tuukka:

Car odometer mileage is stored in a few different places in various car MCU's so it is hard to totally reset. But how hard is it to make a Spike game look like it has never been played, meter-wise?

NOT RECOMMENDED!
FYI, these settings are a bit different for Spike games. Stern changed what can't be erased with that system by also adding the "lifetime total plays" audit starting with Spike. That accounts for paid games, free games, and replays. Both "total earnings" and "lifetime total plays" are stored on the MPU for that system and they can only be modified if you are able to erase or replace the surface mounted NVRAM IC on the MPU -->NOT RECOMMENDED! but if you want to potentially brick your game, some Google searches can point you in the right direction.

#6 1 year ago

Thanks for info. Not that I want to, but was just curious how it is done. Using a SMD NVRAM, possibly encrypted, is pretty foolproof solution. Of course, if you need to replace MPU board, the counters go with the board.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Brooklyn, MI
Machine - For Sale
Boulder, CO
$ 5.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

$ 76.00
Lighting - Backbox
Arcade Upkeep

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 6,595.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 10.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

5,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Uniontown, OH
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Machine - For Sale
Lake Elsinore, CA
$ 6.00
Playfield - Protection
Apron Envy

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
arcade-cabinets.com

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/audits-total-games-played and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.