Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 11 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Lopa
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

#1 2 years ago

I have little background with stereo systems....

But, I have a Denon AVR 5800 receiver and want to buy some speakers to go with it.

This will be in my shop, which is about 2000 sq.ft., 12' ceilings, and full of lots of stuff...not an optimal space for sound, I know.

I've looked at 3 different-but-similar Cerwin Vega speakers:

D9 (unknown age, but old)
E715 (2003 manufacture)
XSL-12 (new)

My question is....with a 20 year old speaker, even if it has been kept indoors and cared for, is it likely to need repair, or have degraded performance? If an old speaker needs 'work', is it likely they can be re-coned or re-foamed with good-as-new results?

#2 2 years ago

I had a 35 year old pair of Image Reference II speakers, where the foam had deteriorated completely, re-coned last year. It was relatively inexpensive (less than $100) and they sound like new. It was nice to bring them back to life.

#3 2 years ago

I refoamed my Cerwin Vegas from the 80’s. Foam had disintegrated….I
They are the D5 model.

Sound great after doing that… lots of bass from those speakers…

the kits are super cheap if you want to do it yourself.

#4 2 years ago

Thanks. I'm leaning towards using some older speakers over new.

#5 2 years ago

I also have a pair of Cerwin Vega D5s which I bought new.Refoamed and new crossovers.Still sound and look great.

#6 2 years ago

I'm into Hifi since many years and had many speakers, especially Kef. But my last buy is the best i ever heard, by far. Try to find Magnat Transpulls 1500, you'll be blown away by the sound, and the price.

#7 2 years ago

I have had a set of D9s for 36 years. I have reformed the woofers and recapped the crossovers. I have been very happy with them.

#8 2 years ago

Thanks again everyone.

#9 2 years ago

Thanks Shadrac, I looked at the Magnats and ordered a pair. They seem to be sold by only one location here in the USA, and they said they had less than 10 on hand. But.....if all goes well, two will be on their way to me!

#10 2 years ago

Nice choice, you will be happy, trust me
They are a bit huge, but the sound is lovely.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/audiophileshelp-me-decide and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.