2 years ago

Topic Stats

• 382 posts
  • 54 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 46 days ago by Azmodeus
  • Topic is favorited by 18 Pinsiders

You

Topic Gallery

There have been 49 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

91IVpYZO2wL._SL1500_ (resized).jpg
414VxlkTOFL (resized).jpg
93301072 (resized).jpg
614xmwdO3bL._SL1123_ (resized).jpg
20-331-227-V01 (resized).jpg
s-l64kkkk0 (resized).jpg
14991 (resized).Jpg
7436947.attach (resized).jpg
61jy+2s8nmL._SL1443_ (resized).jpg
71JIjwCrP6L._SL1500_ (resized).jpg
20180930_151200 (resized).jpg
s-l6pp40 (resized).jpg
st,small,215x235-pad,210x230,f8f8f8.lite-1u1 (resized).jpg
31N6HQA1yLL (resized).jpg
5e0 (resized).jpg
racist-603x307 (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider vid1900.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 2 years ago

You probably remember when your Ipod was your best friend.

You ripped all your CDs into mp3s, you downloaded even more from the Newsgroups, Limewire and PirateBay.

You traded bootleg Phish concerts with psudo-hippies across the globe.

You pried open the case and installed a 200gb harddrive so you could take more of your collection with you.....

...but after a while, iTunes wore out it's welcome. It kept bloating larger and larger. It insisted on installing Quicktime again and again. It kept Win7 from ever shutting down. It would not play your ever increasing FLAC collection.

So, like many people, your iPod stopped getting new music, and you just used your crappy sounding, but convenient, cell phone to listen to new tunes.

-

Pioneer heard your pain and came out with an audiophile ipod, the XDP100R.

It plays ANYTHING including FLACs (those are perfect copies of CDs) and the new MQAs.

It has an audiophile D/A converter, not just some crappy cell phone chip.

It has an audiophile headphone amp, so it can drive real headphones, not just little earbuds.

It has hard buttons to control it while in your pocket (it has a touch screen too).

NO ITUNES OR QUICKTIME !!!!!!!!!!!

Besides it's onboard memory, it takes 2 microSD cards, for up to a terabyte of high-rez storage.

You can swap memory cards if you want to instantly change your entire selection (great for a date if you don't want her to see you have any country music in your collection).

It streams high-rez music from Tidal, Spotify, Qobuz if you are into that kind of thing.

These things were always $700-800 but now they are on sale for $299

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA3JX3VY0124&ignorebbr=1&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleMKP-PC&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleMKP-PC-_-pla-_-MP3+%2F+MP4+Players-_-9SIA3JX3VY0124&gclid=CMexg-OCgdICFQGSaQodMKIPpg&gclsrc=aw.ds

a4_122515 (resized).jpg

55-475-002-05 (resized).jpg

#3 2 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

This looks like a nice player although if that's the volume control on the side that;s not a good place for it...unless you can lock it somehow.

You can lock it.

The best part about a real volume control is you can find the **exact** volume (160 steps), rather than the 16 steps on your phone.

#9 2 years ago
Quoted from Bugsy:

32GB is not really that much space if you are loading WAV or FLAC files onto it.

No of course not, but that is just the "built in RAM", it has 2 empty microSD card slots in it.

Putting two 1TB cards in it would be serious business.

Every year, larger capacity microSD cards come out, and that offers a nice upgrade path.

1 (resized).jpg

#11 2 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

Very cool, any ideas what the battery life is like on this puppy?

I've been getting about 14 hours playing FLACs.

It'll probably take a few charge cycles to see what the battery capacity actually is.

#13 2 years ago
Quoted from ENDOFLINE:

this looks very interesting indeed...
whats up with the Detachable bumper?? kick stand or is it a handle?

It keeps the headphone jack from being damaged if you drop it.

That way it wont shear off and have to be fished out....

#16 2 years ago
Quoted from ENDOFLINE:

very kewl
I kinda want one .. haha

I probably paid $400 for my iPod, then a few hundred bucks for a larger hard drive, then $300 for a headphone amp big enough to drive my HD-650s.

So to me, $299 was a no brainer

#19 2 years ago
Quoted from Svengo:

That's certainly a really good price on that but I notice it's sold by one of the marketplace sellers and not Newegg directly. Specifically Electronics Expo who used to have an overall so-so reputation but maybe they're better now-a-days and I guess as long as Newegg makes it good if they don't then 'eh why not grab it.

I got it in 48 hours, and it came with an Electronic Expo bag, and a real paper invoice packed with it.

Can't say anything but good things about the transaction.

B&H has them on sale for $699, if you like them better:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=1207215&gclid=CN7vo4vigdICFZM2aQodhEoBYg&is=REG&ap=y&m=Y&c3api=1876%2C91442437562%2C&Q=&A=details

#25 2 years ago
Quoted from Rondogg:

Max is 256gb for cards not 2tb.

I have two 256gb cards in mine, so that's 544gb right now.

512gb and 1tb microSD cards are shipping this year, so when they hit, I'm sure we'll all expand.

microsdxc (resized).jpg

#26 2 years ago
Quoted from Rondogg:

Seems too big to carry around in the bottom of my pocket. 4.7 inches just for the screen?

Here is a pic next to my iPod Classic that I put the larger harddrive into.

The newer iPod Touch is obviously larger than the old "classic" ones, but I don't have one handy to take a comparison picture of.

You can take the bumper off the top and bottom of the XDP if you need to make it a little smaller.

comp (resized).jpg

#33 2 years ago
Quoted from msj2222:

does it come with software to download. How do you run and load files on it?

There is some kind of software you can use with it, but I have not tried it yet:

http://jp.pioneer-audiovisual.com/support/av_pc/compo/dap/xdp-100r/download/index_EN.php

I just put the albums onto microSD cards, and popped them into the player. It automatically found the songs and added them.

I'm not sure what the software does. I'll report back if I try it out.

#34 2 years ago
Quoted from libtech:

Is the amplifier in this better than a phone/ipod as well? So you wouldnt need a external one for better headphones.

It actually has a SABRE 9601K headphone amp built right in.

It drives my big cans, no problem - no iPod can do that.

http://www.esstech.com/index.php/en/products/audio-amplifiers/sabre9601k/

#35 2 years ago
Quoted from Svengo:

You sir have excellent taste in music.

Thanks.

No sense in having a good player if you are going to listen to crap music.

If you like that Zep/Sabbath blues-rock-drive with P K Dick sci-fi lyrics, you got to love Clutch.

The latest album has been in heavy rotation lately:

#39 2 years ago

Right, but rip your CDs as FLACs.

FLAC is lossless, so it's the exact same quality as WAV, but 1/2 the size.

FLACs often sound much better than the original CDs, because the CD drive simply guess at the missing bits when it can't read due to dust, fingerprints or scratches.

FLACs are error checked when ripped, so if they can't be 100% verified, they are flagged as imperfect copies.

When ripping FLACs from dirty or scratched CDs, the CD drive often slows to a .02X crawl to try and repair the error. Obviously a CD player can't do this in real time, so it just invents replacement bits from the surrounding data to keep the music flowing.

If a CD is too scratched to be perfectly ripped, you can buff out the scratches with Novus2 and give it another try.

If it still can't be perfectly ripped, then just download the FLACs from PirateBay or Usenet guilt free, I mean you do own the original, right?

Here is how to rip 7 CDs at a time into FLACs:

http://www.stereophile.com/content/audiophile-music-server-project

#40 2 years ago

dBpoweramp will take all your WAV files and turn them into FLACs too, so that is a good feature when someone gives you an external harddrive filled with WAV files.

#43 2 years ago
Quoted from Strummy:

Will it play in a vehicle and be recognized an ipod? Lots of cars are ipod but not droid friendly

The jack on the bottom is a normal microUSB jack, not an oddball AppleJack.

If your car has a USB jack in the console, it will interface with that.

If your car has Bluetooth, it will interface with that, too.

So, figure that you probably need a car made after 2005 to interface with the XDP.

#45 2 years ago
Quoted from Strummy:

So I should be able to see and control the songs that are playing directly on the stereo and not have to look at the player to see whats going on?

I have only had this thing a few days, so I don't have enough experience to tell you what will work.

The only thing I can tell you for sure is that it interfaces by Bluetooth with a 2013 Ford and the steering wheel controls it no problem.

I'm sure as more pinsiders pick this up, they will report on what is the earliest vehicle it syncs with.

It came out of the box with Android 5.1.1 aka Lollipop if that helps you at all.

#47 2 years ago
Quoted from Strummy:

That does help. If you have a minute and you have a usb on that ford, would you mind hooking it up through that to see if it interfaces?

OK, I'll try and remember a USB cable tomorrow.

#49 2 years ago

It plays through the USB, but the voice readings sometimes require a second command if searching. I see that there is newer firmware from Ford, so I'll have to update and see what's different.

I'll also have to get more familiar with the XDPs structure of how it wants to be commanded; but it's similar to the iPod when connected.

-

I downloaded the Windows software.

It appears to let you import your entire iTunes library and playlists; and it lets you address the internal memory.

It's really simple and unremarkable AFAICT.

#53 2 years ago

Yes, the wheel controls work.

#54 2 years ago
Quoted from Azmodeus:

But I'm getting one soon. I remember I used to want cheaper stuff.

When it was $999 it was too rich for my blood, but for $299 +5x Eggpoints, it's priced right.

#58 2 years ago
Quoted from Strummy:

I don't think it'll wotk in my vehicles :/

As long as your vehicle can take an AUX in, a USB in, or has an option for a factory CD changer

#62 2 years ago
Quoted from FrankJ:

Why would you buy an audiophile quality player and connect it with those?

Because, even though it was made for an audiophile audience, the XDP is currently $100 cheaper than the iPod.

With it's metal case and bumpers, I'm sure people are mountain biking, jogging and .....

-

What would be fun to see would be someone do a review of the cassette adapter on one of the audiophile forums. "I felt that it gave me less impact than the $800 Cardias cable I'm used to using, yet on some source material, the rolled off highs were a welcome relief. Overall the adapter imparted a glare over the music that at times was quite distracting........."

#64 2 years ago
Quoted from Strummy:

When I plug my phone in via usb I get a message stating that the format is not recognized.

It's possible that your car needs the latest firmware update (mine does).

Or its possible that you will have to plug into the CD changer input, or the AUX-in jack inside the console.

Or just get a 70s boombox and plug it in like they do in my neighborhood.

FJJMHF7FA2KLUP8.MEDIUM (resized).jpg

#67 2 years ago
Quoted from NorCalRealtor:

Do you guys think this player is a good choice for someone who does not do much headphone listening, who would primarily hook it up to a processor via RCA cables for playing on his 5.1 system and on his game room stereo?

It has an excellent, audiophile D/A (SABRE ES9018K2M) unit so it surely sounds better than any under $800 CD player's D/A.

If you ever get a really good (ie $5000+) receiver, or $$$$$ stand alone D/A unit, you can use the XPDs digital output to connect it to the D/A, but for 90% of people, the XPD is going to blow away anything they've got.

#71 2 years ago

Headphones are a big question.

You first have to to decide if you want big cans, little earbuds or in the ear sealed units.

Then if you want cans, you have to decide if you want Open Cans (others can hear what you are hearing) or Closed Cans (others can't hear).

-

If you were mowing the lawn, you would want sealed units to block outside sounds.

If you were out around town, you might want earbuds so you could hear someone warning you, or a siren.

If you were in a dicey area, you might not want big cans attracting attention for theft "Yo bitch, hand over yo Beats...."

If you were listening with a sleeping spouse, you would want isolation so they would not hear the "tisss, tisss, tisss" of unsealed units.

#73 2 years ago

Mike, I've got a few TB of Flacs for you to help replace your lost collection

#77 2 years ago
Quoted from goingincirclez:

Would AudioTechnica AT-M50X headcans be sufficient with this?

It says they are 38ohm and the XDP says it drives all the way down to 16ohm, so it looks like you are good.

The efficiency of the headphones is a pretty good indicator of how loud they will be and your ATs are 99db - very efficient.

Update the firmware when you get it and then you have an extra checkbox that overrides the EU volume limitations. You probably won't need to do this (and I would not show my kids this "feature"), but it's good to know it's there.

#79 2 years ago

dBpoweramp rocks.

It will let you rip 8 (or more) CDs at the same time.

This is a mega timesaver when you have 3000+ CDs to rip into FLACs

#81 2 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

And an 8 disk drive

Just take the side off your case and plug every CD and DVD drive in the house, into your motherboard

Then open the same amount of instances of dB, and stack their windows up in order of the drives.

Start feeding in your CDs, you won't be able to keep up, the drawers will be opening so fast.....

sbu6ie (resized).jpg

1 week later
#85 2 years ago

Fabio always has a bad ass system!

fabio02-03 (resized).jpg

fabio01 (resized).jpg

#90 2 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

Found one significant complaint: the screen is un-viewable in portrait when wearing polarized sunglasses. It's not just dim, you can't see it at all, there must be a polarized filter or the glass is polarized, rotating it makes it viewable. Not necessarily a deal breaker but somewhat troublesome in the car or just outside on a sunny day.

My Galaxy phone was the same way.

Expensive sunglasses totally killed any light coming from the screen, but fine in Landscape mode.

#93 2 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

I've seen other screens (and the HUD in some cars) that don't play well with polarized glasses but I've never had an issue with a cell phone.

1 week later
#99 2 years ago

Will a regular Android phone work through the USB on your Onkyo?

Will an external harddrive work?

#101 2 years ago
Quoted from kimber:

Android phone does not work.
External Harddrive does work.
I guess the amp firmware is for iphone or flash drive only.

OK, so you want to use your XDP as an external hard drive. Connect your XDP, let it do it's thing for a minute, then pull down the menu thingy from the top of the screen. Choose "connected as USB device" or whatever the exact wording is, and click the box to share files with the Onkyo. If you've got a lot of songs, this could take overnight.

BUT.....

If you use it through the USB you, won't get the amazing DAC that is built in, instead you will be using Onkyo's cheaper D/A chip.

I'd plug the XDP in to the AUX input on the Onkyo, then put the XDP into the "line out" (or whatever it's called) mode, for the best audio quality.

#102 2 years ago

Ultrasone PRO 900i Headphones:

My buddy bought these German headphones a few years ago for $600.

He brought them over to hear them on the XDP. They sound more detailed, and have way more bass impact than my HD650s that I always consider to be my reference cans.

I liked them so much I went to buy a pair and found that they are being closed out for only $199 after rebate (I'm not sure I should tell my buddy or not).

They come with a hard case, leather headband, extra set of replacement earpads, 2 different styles of replacement cables (coiled or straight) that have Nuetrik ($$$$) connectors, 1/4" to 1/8" adapter, and a demo CD.

Be forewarned, my friend says he ran them for a full week playing loudly under a blanket to give them a complete break-in.

http://www.ultrasone.audio/en/products/pro/pro-900

https://www.adorama.com/ulpro900.html?sdtid=9858480&emailprice=t&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_source=rflaid62905

ultrasone-pro-900 (resized).jpg

#104 2 years ago

Make sure you install the latest firmware.

Don't install any crap apps (Youtube, facebook, Twitter, Grinder), you have a phone for that.

You can disable all the Android junk like Contacts, Gmail, Google Books, Maps, Printer, GPS.......

Other than the giant update, I've not had to reboot a single time (knock on wood).

Use the fastest Sandisk SD cards.

Only buy Sandisk cards from Adorama or B&H Photo. These 2 sellers ONLY buy direct from Sandisk, never from distributors.

Sandisk says that 40% of all the cards on the market are counterfeit, even ones from Bestbuy have been fake, so don't risk it.

90mb/second:

https://www.adorama.com/idsiums200gb.html

#109 2 years ago
Quoted from kimber:

Ordered a screen protector for this from Germany, only $12 NZ delivered in a week!
Fits perfectly and 2 in the pack.
ebay.com link

Nice find!

English if your German is rusty:
----------

Invisible, easy to mount, removable without residue.
Basics-Clear screen protector by Bruni® - high-quality accessories at a great price.

Specially developed for Pioneer XDP-100R
Made of scratch-resistant, highly transparent PET material and laser-cut on state-of-the-art machines
Can be installed easily and without bubbles, and can be removed or repositioned at any time without residues
Optimized for use on touch displays - unadulterated display of the screen contents and no impairment of the operability
No slipping: once installed, the adhesive-free screen protector no longer moves - optimal edge adhesion guaranteed

With this screen protector, you have found one of the best products when you want to protect your valuable Pioneer XDP-100R display cost effectively and effectively.

The film is self-adhesive thanks to a special silicone adhesive layer and remains firmly and securely in its place - and can still be removed without residues. No additional dust is applied during installation by an antistatic film material.

Precisely manufactured - guaranteed fit. Manufactured with the least possible environmental impact - reduced to the essentials.

Packing content:
• 2 x Basics-Clear screen protector
• including multilingual, illustrated instructions and link to the mounting video
For multi-display devices (e.g., indoor and outdoor displays), a protective film is included in the package for each display.

1 month later
#112 2 years ago

The Vannuys case looks pretty badass too

900x900px-LL-86509560_IMG_1138 (resized).jpeg

#115 2 years ago
Quoted from roffels:

I just ordered an open-box one at $219, thanks to you, vid.
This looks a little impractical for on-the-go listening, but I think it will be nice for at work.

It's a little smaller footprint than your smartphone, but maybe 3mm thicker.

I'd would have bought a 2nd one @219, that's a great deal. Hopefully whoever returned it left you a mem card in one of the slots.

#117 2 years ago

We were drinking & BSing about some great NEW headphone music last night.

Anyone proposing the 50 year old DSOTM got punched in the cock.

Of course listen to all of these on real FLAC flies, not Youtube, lol

This song has great vocals by Nora Jones, and a tight moving bass track.

ROME -Black

#118 2 years ago

The over the top bass and layered sounds in this track will put your headphones to the test.

The Prodigy - The Day Is My Enemy

#119 2 years ago

CAKE - The Winter

A Beatles style chord progression, but with none of that fruity beatleness. Great guitar tone in the solo near the last quarter.

#120 2 years ago

Nada Surf - What Is Your Secret

#121 2 years ago

Some of my friends said the drum/bass intro is the best part of the song, lol, but sounds great in phones.

Death Cab for Cutie - Long Division

#122 2 years ago

Chime-like sounds from her Gibson SG, the always sexy Neko Case gives a haunting performance about getting eaten by a killer whale.

Neko Case - People Got A Lotta Nerve

#124 2 years ago
Quoted from Bax1:

» YouTube video
this would probably work well too

Yeah, Clutch has great production on the last few albums.

#126 2 years ago

I had forgotten about this track, but BigEd says it's a demo track on some headphone demonstration CD:

Big bass for sure

Deadmau5 Vs. Gerard Way - Professional Griefers

#132 2 years ago
Quoted from Baiter:

Just ran across this thread. Looking over the specs of the Pioneer I wonder if it's much better than my phone. In other words if anyone is truly interested in audiophile sound quality, it's worth taking a look at the LG V20 phone in addition to or instead of this Pioneer:

V20 is a badass phone.

If you can get you boss to spring for a $600 phone with a nice DAC onboard, that's a great choice.

-

For an audiophile server/DAC/headphone combo the XDP has some very non-phone features:

1. Solid aluminum case, no plastic - protects glass edge.

2. Real volume knob and playback/track controls - you can change them without having to turn the screen on.

3. Aluminum bumper loop to keep the headphone jack from shearing off (best feature ever).

4. Dual MicroSDXC memory slots - Nintendo showed 2TB MicroSDXC cards at their Switch unveiling. 4TB of storage will be unsane!

5. Plays MQA high-rez files.

6. SA Mode - turns off all circuitry that does not involve audio playback - for the purest audio.

7. Smaller than a smartphone.

8. Makes on the fly playlists - the thing the iPod needed most.

9. Does not need to be jailbroken to remove all the crapware running in the background.

xdp100_view (resized).png

#133 2 years ago
Quoted from pinster68:

Vid, need a headphone recommendation. Shoot.
I have an open wallet and loose morals.

So far, I have tried the XDP with my reference cans, the Sen HD-650, Apple iPod earbuds, HiFiMan 400i, Grado RS2e, Beats Pro, and Ultrasone Pro 900i.

I was going to get to try the Oppo PM1, but my cousin forgot the cable.

The current undisputed champion is the Ultrasone.

These cans hit so hard and so fast it makes other phones sound like they are playing behind a membrane .

Their bass goes deeper that any of the other phones I've tried. I mean way deeper.

The Beats Pro have more bass, but it's not as clean or as deep (They are fun to listen to though, I'll admit).

The Ultrasones are crazy loud through the XDP, you will never max out the gain. I've been averaging a volume of 110 out of 160.

-

I'm sure everyone else will recommend some other cans that they have tried.

#134 2 years ago

Headphone song of the day

Lost in the Trees - Walk Around the Lake

#136 2 years ago
Quoted from pinster68:

Thanks. Current low price is around $350. Can't find the $199 close out. Still considering.

That might give me time to hear the Oppo PM1....might be better yet.

#137 2 years ago

Headphone song of the day

Unlike most rock songs, Rick Rubin recorded/mixed this track with perfect clarity. Each instrument floats in it's own space. The snare has such impact it sounds like it's 5 feet in front of you.

Danzig - She Rides

#139 2 years ago

It can drive the HD650s, so the 600s should be OK.

Remember to check the box that doubles the output gain (after you update).

Did your "open box" XDP still have the screen protector on it?

Was the software already updated on it?

#141 2 years ago

Yes, before the update, there was no way to enable the high gain.

I think one is in the "sounds and notifications" settings, and the other in the swipe menu (I don't have it in front of me)

#143 2 years ago

Last night a guy saw my XDP and we were BSing about portable audiophile stuff.

He showed me that he took the mechanical harddrive out of his iPod and with an adapter, installed two 512gb SDXC cards. Then he installed the Rockbox operating system so he did not have to ever look at iTunes again.

Now it can play FLACs and do other tricks. It won't drive big cans, or have an audiophile chipset, but it does drag the iPod into the 21st century.

So if your wife will not let you buy a XDP for $219, you can at least put a TB into your old iPod.

P1000179 (resized).jpg

#144 2 years ago

Installing the SD cards into iPod:

https://www.iflash.xyz/

#146 2 years ago
Quoted from eggbert52:

This thread sucks.

It sucks that your mom has to work on Sundays.

You don't get enough attention.

1 week later
#149 2 years ago

An interesting glitch.

The XDP updated software no longer sees .APE files for some reason.

.APE files are lossless files that were popular before .flac files became the standard.

Luckily, dbPoweramp converts APE into FLAC in seconds, with no quality loss.

So, if you find that your APE files won't play (they don't even show up in the XDP menus anymore), just convert them all into .flac - problem solved.

xpdd (resized).jpg

#151 2 years ago
Quoted from bangerjay:

Got mine last week, I swear it sounds way better than the iPod

About 50x better than the iPod.

It's like a blanket got lifted from the sound.

#152 2 years ago

Future Islands new disc is mega excellent in phones, but if there ever was a band that needs to be viewed live...

Trust me, it's worth checking out:

http://www.metatube.com/es/videos/337476/Jimmy-Fallon-Future-Islands-Ran/

dsc_0147 (resized).jpg

1 week later
#159 1 year ago

If you want a sampling of what 24/192 tracks are available:

http://www.nzbindex.nl/search/?q=hdtracks

#161 1 year ago

Sometimes Youtube is the ONLY remaining source of a song.

Like the **good** version of The Swingers "One Good Reason".

It's not on iTunes, it's not on "the best of", and although it's in the movie Starstruck, a different version is on the soundtrack.

1 month later
#163 1 year ago

Anyone who ever wanted a pair of ultimate reference headphones, the Sennheiser HD650 are on Massdrop for $199 free ship !!!!!

These are EVERY audiophile reviewer, and every recording studio's reference set of cans.

These are the best $500 headphones in the world, let alone the best $199 phones.

There are cans with more bass, there are cans with more wood, but if you want THE standard, its the HD650

Still made in Ireland

Slow shipping, but you save some serious cash...and this batch is black(midnight blue?) instead of grey.

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/massdrop-sennheiser-hd6xx?mode=guest_open

pc_blank_20170620163045 (resized).jpg

#166 1 year ago

316 is the lowest I've ever seen them.

Amazon must be fighting the Massdrop the hardest they can, lol

#167 1 year ago

Today Tidal has the FLAC download of Jay-Z's new album 4:44 for free:

http://tidal.com/store/my/purchases?token=6c526eae-4219-45a8-8a1b-229f6969aa20

Password is: SPRINT

No Tidal account needed, just put in an email address, they don't confirm it.

No crazy club-banger songs like 99problems, just soulful/negrolovejams loops on this disc

640x640 (resized).jpg

3 weeks later
#170 1 year ago

Yeah, Massdrop is having those headphones made for them.

So they are not just sitting in a warehouse somewhere in China.

Right now, red-haired workers, still reeling from the consequences of Brexit, are gearing up for the manufacture of our headphones.....

x1_desktop_services-2 (resized).jpg

#172 1 year ago
Quoted from pinster68:

I am a patient man ... but 6 months kills it, regardless of the excuse.

Cancel and get them at Adorama for $320 - that's a historic low price, and you can have them Tuesday.

https://www.adorama.com/sehd650.html

sehd650 (resized).jpg

3 weeks later
#173 1 year ago

Best Buy has 256 EVO+ cards on sale for $89.99 (~$180 on Amazon)

That's a ripping deal for a card with a super fast write speed.

So if you were waiting for a price drop on memory to max out your player, this might be a good time.

Hopefully a giant price drop like this means that the 512gb and 1TB are ramping up for mass production (I really want that 2tb MicroSD card that Nintendo showed at the Switch unveiling)

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsung-evo-plus-256gb-microsdxc-uhs-i-memory-card/5410400.p?ref=8575135&loc=49f98c1885c211e7a2179a140b1569d60INT&acampID=49f98c1885c211e7a2179a140b1569d60INT

5410400_sd.jpg;maxHeight=550;maxWidth=642 (resized).jpg

1 month later
#175 1 year ago

Got an email that a new version of the X-dap software is available.

I never use the old one (I just copy albums directly onto the mem cards), but if you do, you might want to try it out.

3 weeks later
#176 1 year ago

400gb MicroSD cards ship tomorrow.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1355732-REG/sandisk_sdsquar_400g_gn6ma_400gb_ultra_micro_sdxc_uhs_i.html

I was hoping for the next jump to be to 512gb, but they are just stringing us along....

3 months later
#177 1 year ago

Integral is finally shipping their 512gb microsd cards.

They actually beat Sandisk to the market.

Hopefully this will force Samsung and Sandisk to get off their asses and release larger cards that they have been showing for over a year....every phone records 4k video these days.

integral-512gb-microsd-1 (resized).jpg

#179 1 year ago

Neil Young has his entire catalog of full master quality recordings all up for free today:

https://www.neilyoungarchives.com/

They want people to stress test the site - make sure you have a fast internet connection, the bandwidth is huge......

2 weeks later
#184 1 year ago
Quoted from Gryszzz:

So I will have to re-rip 60gb of music?

Nope. Just use iExplorer or Houdini and copy all your songs off your iPods to your HD.

If you already own the physical CDs, you download the FLACs or MP3s already ripped here guilt free:

http://nzbindex.com/

Quoted from Gryszzz:

What about the albums bought off of iTunes?

Download them in the highest grade format (Apple Lossless?), then rip them to your HD.

Quoted from Gryszzz:

I'm loving the idea of the FLAC 1-1 zero compression and if I can rid myself of iShit that'd be the bee's knees, but what if that's the only place to buy an album?

You can buy albums from Amazon, Google Play, Tidal, Murfie.....

Quoted from Gryszzz:

This seems like a lot of work. Is the sound quality that much better?

It seems like work, but once you enjoy the simplicity of simply dropping music folders on a microSD card, you will NEVER even think of going back to Apple - waiting for iTunes up update, waiting for it to sync to the ipod, waiting for it to install another version of Quicktime.......

Or having ALL your albums with you at all times.

If you get two 512gig cards (the largest out right now), do you think you can fill them?

Even if you had all FLAC and no Mp3s, you probably have room for 4000 albums.

...and yes, the sound quality is that good.

#187 1 year ago
Quoted from Gryszzz:

I'm gonna have to re-rip 500 cds with this thing aren't I?

You can find probably 80% of your CDs already ripped to FLACs @ nzbindex.com

Even if you had to physically rip 500 CDs, here's how I did 2500 of them - fast (before nzbindex was around):

https://www.stereophile.com/content/audiophile-music-server-project

#191 1 year ago
Quoted from Gryszzz:

So I can transfer my iTunes library to the XDP, but if they're not FLAC files then the audio will be downgraded, right?

It wont be downgraded any worse than it is now , but FLAC would be even better (although Apple Lossless will be the same as FLAC).

Quoted from Gryszzz:

I think most of my library is wav or mp3.

WAVs are great, so those you can leave alone (or shrink them 1/2 size with FLAC).

MP3 will sound a little better, because the player is better, but I'd download or re-rip replace the MP3s 'cuz they are crap.

Quoted from Gryszzz:

One other thing I didn't understand is when you were talking about Windows stepping on the sound. Since my library is on my pc, how can this be avoided at all?

Windows re-encodes on the fly and messes up all audio files when you play them on the desktop.

Playing files through the XDP avoids Windows, so you will be 100% safe.

2 months later
#196 1 year ago

New software update for XDP, free on Google Play

Says April 18,2018 but my player just found it today

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.opi.pioneer.dap_music

#198 1 year ago
Quoted from Svengo:

It would be nice to have a more detailed release note (I looked around a bit on the Onkyo/Pioneer site and didn't see one) that lists the inevitable bug fixes that are included but it is nice they are at least putting some effort into maintaining it

I guess we are lucky to be getting anything with Pioneer's owner, Gibson, in bankruptcy.....

I use the XDP every day and still totally love it.

#200 1 year ago

Adorama has 400gb cards on sale today for $159 (that's like $100 off)

So if you are ready to take your player up to 832gb of storage for cheap, there you go.

(I remember when 100gb harddrives were $250, it's crazy to think that we have 400gb of ram smaller than a postage stamp...)

https://www.adorama.com/idsiums400gb.html

idsiums400gb (resized).jpg

4 weeks later
#233 11 months ago
Quoted from Gryszzz:

C'MON VID TELL ME ABOUT THE MQA'S lol you gots em? This is a new frontier for audio I can't wait to run this thing through the HK's, with just my FLAC's. I'm easily amused but this MQA I gotta hear.

MQAs are great for streaming, but FLACs are better if bandwidth is not a worry.

Memory is so cheap nowadays, I can't make myself worry about MP3s, MQA or any other lossy format....

#236 11 months ago
Quoted from Gryszzz:

Michi-gaan.
How's things in Grand Bland?

I've never been there, they tell me it's nice......

#241 11 months ago
Quoted from Gryszzz:

Vid stays in hotels,
he tears out the walls
He has Beelo and Popov pay for it all

Yeah, I wish.

Somehow I always end up paying for for their damages.

1 month later
#242 10 months ago

Amazon has 400gb microSD today for Prime day @ $139

amazon.com link »

Adorama has the 200gb microSD for $39

https://www.adorama.com/idsiums200gb.html?CategoryID=58149

Crazy good pricing around Prime Day......

#249 10 months ago

If you, yourself, want to hear the difference between speaker cables, take some 14 gauge Romex house wiring, and try it against some 14 gauge good quality speaker wire.

The difference is not subtle , even on $1000 speakers.

When I saw this demo at an "expensive wire" open house, I assumed some sort of trickery. But when I tried it at home, I got the same result.

Being a man of science, I took both wires to my electrical engineering guy to do some frequency sweeps and see how this could be.

"Wire is wire, right?" he laughed.

Long story short, the wires had similar resistances, but the capacitance on the Romex was many times higher. So the wire was acting as a kind of filter at certain frequencies.

I love when my own observations are verified by hard science.

#251 10 months ago
Quoted from Svengo:

Is that stuff worth it for the average person who likes audio? I'd think no way is it worth it.

The average person listens to AC/DC, Beyoncé or Blake Shelton.

So nope, the average person is not going to be able to hear the difference with that kind of source material.

The same audiophile law of diminishing returns translates to any other expensive hobby.

You can add 2 horsepower to your car by buying a $1500 deeper oil pan, you can add 1hp of power by lowering the temp of the air intake 10 degrees for $1000, you can save a little drag by buying an aluminum drive shaft for $800 - no average person is going to be able to tell the difference between these expensive mods. But if you race every weekend, you might find value in them.

You can buy a 10" telescope for $500, or a 14" for $10,000 . Is the 14" 20 times better? Nope.

If you have the cash, spend it on things you can enjoy now. You can't take it with you, and if you leave it to your kids, they will just spend it on opioids when their insurance runs out.

#260 10 months ago
Quoted from BobLangelius:

I know nothing about "Good Quality Speaker wire". Is it solid now?
Were you comparing solid wire to stranded wire?
Just curious.

The Romex is solid, the 14 gauge is 4 small solid wires **woven** into kind of a rope with a total gauge of 14

31N6HQA1yLL (resized).jpg
#264 9 months ago
Quoted from BobLangelius:

14GA lampcord doesn't cut it any more??? LOL.

I'm sure it's fine for any speakers under $1000

In my shop I have that old zip speaker cable where one conductor is gold and the other is silver. I'll never hear the difference in a pole barn, so who cares about the capacitance or quality?

#266 9 months ago

^ Yeah, I use mine every day.

The 400gig cards dropped in price so I've currently have 832gigs of instant access storage - literally every single one of my CDs at my fingertips, including a ton of 24/96 hi-rez recording.

A lot of crap I buy wears out it's welcome once I discover all it's quirks and limitations, but the XPD continues to amaze me.

2 months later
#273 7 months ago

You can find it at your local pawn shop.

You know the Cotton Head that took it probably got $15 for it.

"Is that all ???? Aw man, I thought it was a phone or somethin'. Alright, if that all it worth...."

#274 7 months ago

When you call around to the pawn shops, don't ask for the Pioneer. That will tip them off, because no one has EVER called about an Pioneer.

Ask "Do you guys still have Ipods or something like that? "

Let them volunteer that they have it.

Take the box with you, the serial number is under the Settings Gear/About (all the way at the bottom)/STATUS tab, it should match the bar code on the side of the box.

Wear a shirt with a front pocket and video the whole adventure on your phone. Pawn shops are not known for their honesty.

#277 7 months ago

I'd make a police report, and get a copy.

Put the serial number on the report.

Pawn Shops in most states have to file everything they take in, both for purchase and for pawn. The shop won't know how to find the serial number, but the Pioneer is an odd item, that will stand out on the lists.

#278 7 months ago
Quoted from Gryszzz:

Not gonna kill em, just just gonna smash their hands with my 3lb hammer.

Do not make that police report then.

#279 7 months ago
Quoted from Gryszzz:

I didn't know I would forget to lock my truck.

You probably did lock it.

I can slimjim any car door in 30 seconds - a person who does it every night can do it in 10

#289 7 months ago

Today's deal of the day, 200g Sandisk card $34.99 at amazon

amazon.com link »

#290 7 months ago

400g Sandisk cards for $99 !!!!!!

amazon.com link »

#300 7 months ago
Quoted from Gryszzz:

I guess what I'm askin here Vid is: should I just keep the $90 Fiio since it's the least expensive lossless dap player with a line out and figure it out? Or just hit the pawn shops and pick up a 120gb iPod classic?

Do you even **want** any media software at all?

I don't use ANY software on my computer to organize my music.

I just hit CTRL-A to highlight all the artists in My Music folder, then I drag them onto a memory card.

-

If you have an iPod classic, you can take the hard drive out, and replace it with up to 4 micro SD cards - 1600 gigs of music should cover ya

s-l6pp40 (resized).jpg
#303 7 months ago

Pioneer XDP-30R is on sale for $169.99 (with $30 GC) at Newegg:

https://flash.newegg.com/Product/9SIA3JX5NH6818

61jy+2s8nmL._SL1443_ (resized).jpg71JIjwCrP6L._SL1500_ (resized).jpg

1 week later
#307 7 months ago
Quoted from Gryszzz:

Most albums there but I have 14 ACDC albums only 6 showed up.

Many players can't read odd audio files (like lossless .ape, or .mp2), so those files ARE on the memory stick, but don't show up in the menus.

So those you may have to first convert to FLAC or MP3, then up them to the card (remember to delete the incompatible ones from the card first)

#311 7 months ago
Quoted from Gryszzz:

Vid MUCHOS GRACIAS.
The ctrl+A in library tip was a game changer. First time caller long time listener.

Now, if you really want to get wit the ladies:

CTRL A (highlight all the folders)
CTRL C (copy all highlighted folders)
CTRL V (paste all copied folders)

#313 7 months ago
Quoted from Gryszzz:

Most albums there but I have 14 ACDC albums only 6 showed up.

Another reason they might not show up is that the folder title has illegal characters ( or ? or /). So if one of the folders is named "AC_DC Back_in_Black" your player might not display that album.

So go to your My Music and find the missing album folder.

Look for odd characters in the title. Change the name of the folder to just "ACDC Back In Black" without any backslashes or underscores.

Next, look at the contents of the folder. Look at the file extensions and make sure they are not odd file types. So if they are "Shes got the jack.ape" or "shes got the jack.mp4" you need to use an onlne converter to change those files into normal files (turn .ape into .flac, turn .mp4 into .mp3 ......)

Once you've got your naming and extensions figured out, put the microSD card in the computer.

Open 2 file windows, one the card, the other your My Music.

In the Card window, find the ACDC folder. Inside, find the album folders that don't show up in the player - delete them.

In the My Music window, drag the renamed folders into the Card window AC/DC folder.

Put the card back in the player and let it re-sync with the new folders

#314 7 months ago

B&H has the XPD-30R for $149 right now in today's email.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1334874-REG/pioneer_xdp_30r_b_digital_audio_player_black.html

7436947.attach (resized).jpg
#315 7 months ago

256 cards today $69

amazon.com link »

#324 6 months ago
Quoted from Gryszzz:

Welp, left my FiiO on the ground in front of Expo on the load out.

It's like a portable player nightmare!

1 month later
#329 5 months ago

For those looking for the original Pioneer XDP-100R from the first post in this thread, here for $199:

https://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/pionxdp100rk/pioneer-xdp-100r-32gb-portable-hi-res-audio-player-black/1.html

or Silver

https://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/pionxdp100rs/pioneer-xdp-100r-32gb-portable-hi-res-audio-player-silver/1.html

These say they are referbs from the Pioneer factory, so I would trust that compared to some 3rd party + the warranty is from Pioneer.

EDIT: A few of you who bought these this time around have said that they are brand new with screen protector film still on the units.

-

They also have it's big brother the flagship XDP-300R for $299. The difference is that the 300R has dual balanced amps inside (If you don't know that that is, just get the 100R ).

https://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/pionxdp300rs/pioneer-xdp-300r-32gb-digital-audio-player-silver/1.html
14991 (resized).Jpg

#331 5 months ago

We talked about Rockbox and replacing the iPod's mechanical harddrive with SD cards earlier in the thread:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/audiophile-ipod-299-sale-pioneer-xdp100r/page/3#post-3741806

#333 5 months ago
Quoted from adol75:

Thanks for bringing it up, I had no idea the hard drive could be replaced, it didn't hit my mind for some reasons, but I'll definitely look into it !

Back in the day, we'd put a mechanical Hitachi 200gig drive in and people would go crazy "You've got 200gigs ?????".

Now you can go asscrazy with 4 sd cards in an iPod

s-l64kkkk0 (resized).jpg
#336 5 months ago
Quoted from xeneize:

Vid, thanks for giving me something else to buy and spend time on!

That's my job.

Keeping China's economy running before the big crash.

1 week later
#337 5 months ago

512gb microXD cards in stock @ Newegg:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?reviews=all&Item=N82E16820331227

Finally, the XDP can exceed a Terabyte of storage.

20-331-227-V01 (resized).jpg
#338 5 months ago

I see the Senheiser HD-600 headphones are on sale @ Amazon today for $250

That's the lowest price I think I've ever seen real ones for.

Good cheap Xmas present if you don't want another thoughtless tie from the wife.

These are THE reference headphone. Look at any headphone review, they ALL reference the HD600 in comparison.

Made in Ireland, and every replacement part is available after the 2 year warranty expires.

amazon.com link »
614xmwdO3bL._SL1123_ (resized).jpg

#340 5 months ago
Quoted from emkay:

Do they get down in this price range often?

Absolutely never.

Generally $320-399

When they were the flagship, they were $499

#344 5 months ago
Quoted from Mvfvette1:

How do these HD 600's compare with the ones on massdrop for $199 which are essentially the HD 650? It looks like those are in-stock and ready to ship now, as opposed to having to wait in the past. Thanks

The Massdrop ones are a hair less bright on the higher-mids.

So bands with terrible fidelity (like Led Zep or Sweet), sound better with the 6xx.

I did not know that the 6xx were in stock now, that is super bad-ass not to wait 6 months to get them.

#346 5 months ago
Quoted from Azmodeus:

If you are still on the fence like I was, you will not be disappointed.

I've said it before; most junk I buy, I get bored with after a few months.

The XDP, I'm still thrilled with, every time I use it.

Playing some Kurt Vile right now in fact....

#349 5 months ago
Quoted from Gryszzz:

Damn you Vid. Second one just ordered. This time I'll leave it at home when I go out to get sloshed.

I wish I could earn commission every time you buy one of these things....I could afford to get the f out of Yemen (if the peace lasts, they'll probably kick me out anyways).

Let us know if the one you get is also brand new in a **referb** box.

#351 5 months ago
Quoted from tacshose:

Where do you guys get the audio? Is there a giant pinside Dropbox pm link I’m missing? Sadly I have TONS but all mp3 from ripping to an Elan home system.

I ripped many thousands of CDs from my collection into FLACs, 7 CDs at a time.

We'd need at least a gig or three of DB space, if you can set it up

1 month later
#353 3 months ago

Amazon has the HIFIMAN MegaMini High-Res Music Player for $54 right now (it was $250 not that long ago).

It only takes a single microSD card, but hey, it's not $500, it's made of metal, and audiophiles on Head-Fi seem to love it.

So if you wanted to dip you toes into audiophile playback without a big investment, this might be your man (and you can get rid of all those Amazon gift cards you got for Xmas).

93301072 (resized).jpg

amazon.com link »

#358 3 months ago
Quoted from Gryszzz:

Kinda forgot about this thread. But my "refurb"
showed up looking brand spanking new as well. Not a scratch, ding, or anything. Works perfectly. Thanks again Vid.
Now if someone could explain how I can add new albums to this without duplicating every single track that would be great.

Assuming you are on Windows:

1. Put the card into the computer, view contents in a single window.

2. Open a second window with your computer's music files.

3. Drop ONLY the new music folders into the root directory of the card.

On my cards, I have band names A-L on card #1 and M-Z on card #2

So if I was adding a new artist lets say Wiz Khalifa, I would drag the folder onto the #2 card, cuz it starts with a "W"

When you put the card(s) back in , the player will sniff out all the new music in the background.

#363 3 months ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Assuming you are on Windows:
1. Put the card into the computer, view contents in a single window.
2. Open a second window with your computer's music files.
3. Drop ONLY the new music folders into the root directory of the card.
On my cards, I have band names A-L on card #1 and M-Z on card #2
So if I was adding a new artist lets say Wiz Khalifa, I would drag the folder onto the #2 card, cuz it starts with a "W"
When you put the card(s) back in , the player will sniff out all the new music in the background.

If you were adding an additional albums at a latter date by Wiz Khalifa, you would just drop the new albums into the Wiz Khalifa folder; not the card's root.

That way all the Wiz albums would be in a single artist's folder.

-

The problem is when you have an artist that is in two bands.

Do you put "Hooker 'n Heat" in the John Lee Hooker folder or the Canned Heat folder? Or both because storage is so cheap now?

414VxlkTOFL (resized).jpg
#366 3 months ago
Quoted from Svengo:

I was re-arranging some of my music the other day and for examples like the above I'd typically put it in a "Canned Heat - John Lee Hooker" folder. In the metadata tag for each track I'd then put the actual artist(s) on the track in the "artist(s)" field and in the "album artist(s)" field I'd put "Canned Heat - John Lee Hooker". That organizes it the way I want at both a folder level as well as it seems to organize it better (for me) when adding it to the library of whatever software I'm playing it with.

That makes sense.

I just put "Black Crowes & Jimmy Page - Live at the Greek" in it's own folder, rather than the Crowes folder where it normally lives.

2 weeks later
#378 82 days ago

New Egg just matched the $62, and probably no tax for most of you from them:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820173374&Tpk=N82E16820173374

#380 82 days ago
Quoted from littlecammi:

It takes me a while to load up smaller cards than this because there are so few records on which I like all the songs. So I cherry-pick songs from numerous CDs from the same group and store them in a folder so when I select that group I hear continuous play of nothing but what I consider as their best stuff. Lots of classic rock stuff plus jazz-rock by groups such as Spyro Gyra and Fattburger and The Rippingtons (plus my own instrumental recordings).

You can create a playlist with just the songs you like, without moving the songs from their folders.

You might have "driving music", "funkyass shlt", "Showtunes", "Thrash" and "Prog Jazz"

Press the 3 little dots next to a song title, and "add to playlist"

Look at page 55 if you want a step by step:

http://www.specsserver.com/CACHE/frnpdqjbtutm.pdf

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 89.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 163.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
$ 8.95
$ 149.99
Lighting - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 24.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
The MOD Couple
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 86.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 149.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Lighted Pinball Mods
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 9,500.00
Pinball Machine
Little Shop Of Games
$ 25.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing
$ 90.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 8,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
Lighting - Led
Comet Pinball
$ 7,499.00
Pinball Machine
Little Shop Of Games
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 4.99
Playfield - Plastics
ULEKstore

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider vid1900.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside