93301072 (resized).jpg
614xmwdO3bL._SL1123_ (resized).jpg
20-331-227-V01 (resized).jpg
s-l64kkkk0 (resized).jpg
14991 (resized).Jpg
7436947.attach (resized).jpg
61jy+2s8nmL._SL1443_ (resized).jpg
71JIjwCrP6L._SL1500_ (resized).jpg
There are 396 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 8.
#251 5 years ago
Quoted from Svengo:

Is that stuff worth it for the average person who likes audio? I'd think no way is it worth it.

The average person listens to AC/DC, Beyoncé or Blake Shelton.

So nope, the average person is not going to be able to hear the difference with that kind of source material.

The same audiophile law of diminishing returns translates to any other expensive hobby.

You can add 2 horsepower to your car by buying a $1500 deeper oil pan, you can add 1hp of power by lowering the temp of the air intake 10 degrees for $1000, you can save a little drag by buying an aluminum drive shaft for $800 - no average person is going to be able to tell the difference between these expensive mods. But if you race every weekend, you might find value in them.

You can buy a 10" telescope for $500, or a 14" for $10,000 . Is the 14" 20 times better? Nope.

If you have the cash, spend it on things you can enjoy now. You can't take it with you, and if you leave it to your kids, they will just spend it on opioids when their insurance runs out.

#252 5 years ago
Quoted from tamoore:

It's worse than that. He makes his living reviewing high end audio gear. He has a vested interest in the scam being bought into.

It's no more of a "scam" than any other expensive hobby and I'm pretty sure whoever buys a 50K amp based on his recommendation is someone that is not having to eat PB&J sandwiches and barely make rent for the next year because they did so and they're not going to get much sympathy. Also if someone is provided a piece of gear for review purposes especially if they get to keep it or at least get to buy it at a big discount then sure you take the review with a grain of salt.

#253 5 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

If you, yourself, want to hear the difference between speaker cables, take some 14 gauge Romex house wiring, and try it against some 14 gauge good quality speaker wire.
The difference is not subtle , even on $1000 speakers.
When I saw this demo at an "expensive wire" open house, I assumed some sort of trickery. But when I tried it at home, I got the same result.
Being a man of science, I took both wires to my electrical engineering guy to do some frequency sweeps and see how this could be.
"Wire is wire, right?" he laughed.
Long story short, the wires had similar resistances, but the capacitance on the Romex was many times higher. So the wire was acting as a kind of filter at certain frequencies.
I love when my own observations are verified by hard science.

I'm not talking about "house wiring" vs speaker wiring....I'm talking about $10 14 gauge speaker wire - https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-14-Gauge-Speaker-Wire-Feet/dp/B01D5H8XOY/ref=asc_df_B01D5H8XOY/

VS Any other 14 gauge speaker wire you'd like to compare it to.

#254 5 years ago

I’ve been pissing off the neighbors...

16FC2E84-6614-432C-81C5-B2C368106153 (resized).jpeg16FC2E84-6614-432C-81C5-B2C368106153 (resized).jpeg
#255 5 years ago

Cerwin Vega pa's oh my
racist-603x307 (resized).pngracist-603x307 (resized).png

#256 5 years ago

Funny this thread took off again. Last night I got tired of missin my old library so much and said fuck it, transferred that mediocre mp3 shit to the new Pioneer. Took 2.5 hours, but man am I stoked to get my Dying Fetus back.
A lot of album artwork is missing, haven't looked into it yet. This mf is complicated. But kickin Apple into the creek makes it well worth it.

#257 5 years ago
Quoted from bangerjay:

I’ve been pissing off the neighbors...

I'll bet! Love the way those B-52 folded subs sound...

#258 5 years ago

J you should mf absolutely be the DJ at the kegger tomorrow.
This, the mechanical bull, and the 4 player LIONMAN pin. And that's all I need.
5e0 (resized).jpg5e0 (resized).jpg

#259 5 years ago
Quoted from Gryszzz:

J you should mf absolutely be the DJ at the kegger tomorrow.
This, the mechanical bull, and the 4 player LIONMAN pin. And that's all I need.

Just you and I?

#260 5 years ago
Quoted from BobLangelius:

I know nothing about "Good Quality Speaker wire". Is it solid now?
Were you comparing solid wire to stranded wire?
Just curious.

The Romex is solid, the 14 gauge is 4 small solid wires **woven** into kind of a rope with a total gauge of 14

31N6HQA1yLL (resized).jpg31N6HQA1yLL (resized).jpg
#262 5 years ago

LOOK AT THIS BEARD

IT'S IMAMACULATE

#263 5 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

The Romex is solid, the 14 gauge is 4 small solid wires **woven** into kind of a rope with a total gauge of 14

Thanks for the reply, I guess it's always something new...

14GA lampcord doesn't cut it any more??? LOL.

#264 5 years ago
Quoted from BobLangelius:

14GA lampcord doesn't cut it any more??? LOL.

I'm sure it's fine for any speakers under $1000

In my shop I have that old zip speaker cable where one conductor is gold and the other is silver. I'll never hear the difference in a pole barn, so who cares about the capacitance or quality?

#265 5 years ago

I'm really diggin this thing Vid, gracias. Even though I haven't re-ripped all my CD's, it still sounds much better than any iPod because of the adjustable EQ. Makes this $160 500 watt WalMart speaker sound fantastic even though my neighbors would disagree.

#266 5 years ago

^ Yeah, I use mine every day.

The 400gig cards dropped in price so I've currently have 832gigs of instant access storage - literally every single one of my CDs at my fingertips, including a ton of 24/96 hi-rez recording.

A lot of crap I buy wears out it's welcome once I discover all it's quirks and limitations, but the XPD continues to amaze me.

2 weeks later
#267 5 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

So far, I have tried the XDP with my reference cans, the Sen HD-650, Apple iPod earbuds, HiFiMan 400i, Grado RS2e, Beats Pro, and Ultrasone Pro 900i.
I was going to get to try the Oppo PM1, but my cousin forgot the cable.
The current undisputed champion is the Ultrasone.
These cans hit so hard and so fast it makes other phones sound like they are playing behind a membrane .
Their bass goes deeper that any of the other phones I've tried. I mean way deeper.
The Beats Pro have more bass, but it's not as clean or as deep (They are fun to listen to though, I'll admit).
The Ultrasones are crazy loud through the XDP, you will never max out the gain. I've been averaging a volume of 110 out of 160.
-
I'm sure everyone else will recommend some other cans that they have tried.

Finally pulled the trigger on the Ultrasones. Still breaking them in but very happy with the choice. Thanks for the recommendation Vid. Long overdue purchase. Lots of detail and bass response, without being overwhelming.

3 weeks later
#268 5 years ago

After some diggin, I decided to give Musicbee a try for a new non-iShit library. All the artwork is so easy to grab. Tryin to sync the XDP was a little tricky. Took 2 hours and only half the "new" album art came through. Anyone have musicbee?

2 weeks later
#269 5 years ago

The Sandisk 200 GB card is down to 44.26 right now which I think is about the cheapest I remember them being on Amazon

https://www.amazon.com/Sandisk-Ultra-Micro-UHS-I-Adapter/dp/B073JY5T7T/ref=gbps_tit_s-4_4fa4_d79b79ba

#270 5 years ago

Welp, that didn't take long. Some needle dick swiped my XDP outta my truck on Sun. No it wasn't lyin out, was in center console. Was at my neighborhood bar watchin Colts game. Goin back and forth smokin joints, guess I left it unlocked at some point. Didn't mean to, just what happens when you succeed at gettin all fuckin hammered up.
Nobody's fault but mine.
But payback is a bitch.
To be continued...

#271 5 years ago

Been in a rage last couple days about it. I have to keep reminding myself,....it's not terminal cancer. I have healthy kids. I have a lot to be thankful for. But I still feel personally violated. I was bein watched, and played for a mark.
Couple shady mf's I had never seen in there before. Been lookin every night for em.
There will be blood.

#272 5 years ago
Quoted from Gryszzz:

Welp, that didn't take long. Some needle dick swiped my XDP outta my truck on Sun. No it wasn't lyin out, was in center console. Was at my neighborhood bar watchin Colts game. Goin back and forth smokin joints, guess I left it unlocked at some point. Didn't mean to, just what happens when you succeed at gettin all fuckin hammered up.
Nobody's fault but mine.
But payback is a bitch.
To be continued...

Dude that sux.

#273 5 years ago

You can find it at your local pawn shop.

You know the Cotton Head that took it probably got $15 for it.

"Is that all ???? Aw man, I thought it was a phone or somethin'. Alright, if that all it worth...."

#274 5 years ago

When you call around to the pawn shops, don't ask for the Pioneer. That will tip them off, because no one has EVER called about an Pioneer.

Ask "Do you guys still have Ipods or something like that? "

Let them volunteer that they have it.

Take the box with you, the serial number is under the Settings Gear/About (all the way at the bottom)/STATUS tab, it should match the bar code on the side of the box.

Wear a shirt with a front pocket and video the whole adventure on your phone. Pawn shops are not known for their honesty.

#275 5 years ago

OH SHIT another fucking GIGANTIC thank you to you Mr. Vid. I figured since I didn't register it for warranty, I was dead in water. But I DO HAVE BOX!!!
So, since I mostly despise cops, I haven't filed police report. Should I? Or just start cruisin pawn shops?
Dude. THANK YOU.

#276 5 years ago

Out lookin for these twats right now. I KNEW they were on the hunt. I didn't know I would forget to lock my truck. But I kinda did. Rookie mistake. Not gonna kill em, just just gonna smash their hands with my 3lb hammer. I own a ski mask, just sayin.

#277 5 years ago

I'd make a police report, and get a copy.

Put the serial number on the report.

Pawn Shops in most states have to file everything they take in, both for purchase and for pawn. The shop won't know how to find the serial number, but the Pioneer is an odd item, that will stand out on the lists.

#278 5 years ago
Quoted from Gryszzz:

Not gonna kill em, just just gonna smash their hands with my 3lb hammer.

Do not make that police report then.

#279 5 years ago
Quoted from Gryszzz:

I didn't know I would forget to lock my truck.

You probably did lock it.

I can slimjim any car door in 30 seconds - a person who does it every night can do it in 10

#280 5 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Do not make that police report then.

HA!
I know their punk ass type. They ain't talkin, even from their hospital bed.
But I doubt they're dumb enough to pawn it around here.

#281 5 years ago

This was in broad daylight. I'm sure after joint 3 or 4 I forgot to hit lock. My side mirrors go in when locked. I let myself become a mark.

#282 5 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Pawn shops are not known for their honesty.

WHAT?

#283 5 years ago

Because it's"special" I'm hopin homeboy decides to keep it and I hear Christ Beheaded again one day.
It's inevitable.

#284 5 years ago

That sucks gryzzz, had my iPod and camcorder snatched about 10 years ago, I don’t leave anything in my car anymore

#285 5 years ago
Quoted from Gryszzz:

This was in broad daylight. I'm sure after joint 3 or 4 I forgot to hit lock. My side mirrors go in when locked. I let myself become a mark.

No camera at/near the neighborhood bar? It seems there is always one in the area these days whether or not it gets what you may be looking for.

Brad

#286 5 years ago

...how in the fuck...
ya gonna steal from Obituary real mf loud

#287 5 years ago

Didn't take one single death metal cd so there's that.
Or anything else. Just the Pioneer.

#288 5 years ago

I was considering one of these to replace my CDs/vinyl, but they're all OOS. Does this one compare favorably?

https://m.newegg.com/products/9SIA3JX5NH6818

#289 5 years ago

Today's deal of the day, 200g Sandisk card $34.99 at amazon

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B073JY5T7T/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2

#291 5 years ago

So yesterday I decided on a Fiio X1 II. Seemed like a no-brainer for $89.
Today I read that you can't sync it with iTunes. You have to drag and drop to SD card. I'm not doin that with 500+ albums. Fuck.
Guess I'll send it back and buy a 120gb iPod classic...I give up.
I fuckin hate Apple and this makes me hate em even more.

#292 5 years ago

List of mp3 players that will sync to iTunes:

Astell & Kern AK70
Astell & Kern AK Jr
Fiio X7
ONKYO DP-X1
Pioneer XDP-300R
PonoPlayer
Questyle QP1R DAP
Sony Walkman NW-ZX2
Sony Walkman NWZ-A15

None of these are in my budget. MAYBE the A&K jr. It's still $300. Might as well buy another XDP-100.

#293 5 years ago

I guess what I'm askin here Vid is: should I just keep the $90 Fiio since it's the least expensive lossless dap player with a line out and figure it out? Or just hit the pawn shops and pick up a 120gb iPod classic?
Both ya say? Agreed. I need to hit the pawn shops tomorrow anyhow.
Hope I catch those dickheads at the bar tomorrow.

#294 5 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

400g Sandisk cards for $99 !!!!!!
amazon.com link »

Somehow missed this. I've been keeping an eye on it too.

#295 5 years ago
Quoted from roffels:

been keeping an eye on it too.

Keep yer other eye on the stovetop pasta.
st,small,215x235-pad,210x230,f8f8f8.lite-1u1 (resized).jpgst,small,215x235-pad,210x230,f8f8f8.lite-1u1 (resized).jpg

#296 5 years ago
Quoted from Gryszzz:

I guess what I'm askin here Vid is: should I just keep the $90 Fiio since it's the least expensive lossless dap player with a line out and figure it out? Or just hit the pawn shops and pick up a 120gb iPod classic?
Both ya say? Agreed. I need to hit the pawn shops tomorrow anyhow.
Hope I catch those dickheads at the bar tomorrow.

I have that Fiio player and love it. What if you just converted your Itunes library into MediaMonkey? That should take care of any incompatability.

MediaMonkey is the bees knees for music management. There is a slight learning curve, but once you get it figured out, you will probably never switch to anything else.

#297 5 years ago
Quoted from Gryszzz:

Keep yer other eye on the stovetop pasta.
[quoted image]

I don't get it.

#298 5 years ago
Quoted from ralphwiggum:

I have that Fiio player and love it. What if you just converted your Itunes library into MediaMonkey? That should take care of any incompatability.
MediaMonkey is the bees knees for music management. There is a slight learning curve, but once you get it figured out, you will probably never switch to anything else.

Thanks for chiming in Ralph. Kinda what I was thinking. For $89, I'll keep it just for the line out.
Couple weeks ago I made a library in Musicbee to load the Pioneer. It doubled all my tracks, but worked ok. Then when I went back a few days later, my computer can't find Musicbee anymore. Yes I'm completely technologically retarded. But I'm hoping I can find a 3rd party app that I can understand. Maybe I'll have better luck with MediaMonkey.
Thanks for the tip.

#299 5 years ago
Quoted from Gryszzz:

Thanks for chiming in Ralph. Kinda what I was thinking. For $89, I'll keep it just for the line out.
Couple weeks ago I made a library in Musicbee to load the Pioneer. It doubled all my tracks, but worked ok. Then when I went back a few days later, my computer can't find Musicbee anymore. Yes I'm completely technologically retarded. But I'm hoping I can find a 3rd party app that I can understand. Maybe I'll have better luck with MediaMonkey.
Thanks for the tip.

If you are really struggling with technology, I would suggest trying Clementine. It is another free one, and does a nice job. Whatever way you go, Just keep in mind, you dont need to change the m4a apple format, the Fiio can play that format. It is the library sync/transfer portion Apple doesn't play well with.

#300 5 years ago
Quoted from Gryszzz:

Do you even **want** any media software at all?

I don't use ANY software on my computer to organize my music.

I just hit CTRL-A to highlight all the artists in My Music folder, then I drag them onto a memory card.

-

If you have an iPod classic, you can take the hard drive out, and replace it with up to 4 micro SD cards - 1600 gigs of music should cover ya

s-l6pp40 (resized).jpgs-l6pp40 (resized).jpg
There are 396 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 8.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/audiophile-ipod-299-sale-pioneer-xdp100r/page/6?hl=mnpinball and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.