93301072 (resized).jpg
614xmwdO3bL._SL1123_ (resized).jpg
20-331-227-V01 (resized).jpg
s-l64kkkk0 (resized).jpg
14991 (resized).Jpg
7436947.attach (resized).jpg
61jy+2s8nmL._SL1443_ (resized).jpg
71JIjwCrP6L._SL1500_ (resized).jpg
There are 396 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 8.
#101 7 years ago
Quoted from kimber:

Android phone does not work.
External Harddrive does work.
I guess the amp firmware is for iphone or flash drive only.

OK, so you want to use your XDP as an external hard drive. Connect your XDP, let it do it's thing for a minute, then pull down the menu thingy from the top of the screen. Choose "connected as USB device" or whatever the exact wording is, and click the box to share files with the Onkyo. If you've got a lot of songs, this could take overnight.

BUT.....

If you use it through the USB you, won't get the amazing DAC that is built in, instead you will be using Onkyo's cheaper D/A chip.

I'd plug the XDP in to the AUX input on the Onkyo, then put the XDP into the "line out" (or whatever it's called) mode, for the best audio quality.

#102 7 years ago

Ultrasone PRO 900i Headphones:

My buddy bought these German headphones a few years ago for $600.

He brought them over to hear them on the XDP. They sound more detailed, and have way more bass impact than my HD650s that I always consider to be my reference cans.

I liked them so much I went to buy a pair and found that they are being closed out for only $199 after rebate (I'm not sure I should tell my buddy or not).

They come with a hard case, leather headband, extra set of replacement earpads, 2 different styles of replacement cables (coiled or straight) that have Nuetrik ($$$$) connectors, 1/4" to 1/8" adapter, and a demo CD.

Be forewarned, my friend says he ran them for a full week playing loudly under a blanket to give them a complete break-in.

http://www.ultrasone.audio/en/products/pro/pro-900

https://www.adorama.com/ulpro900.html?sdtid=9858480&emailprice=t&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_source=rflaid62905

ultrasone-pro-900 (resized).jpgultrasone-pro-900 (resized).jpg

#103 7 years ago

Day 4 with the XDP-100R. Initial thoughts: great sound and build quality, but software/Android is very glitchy. I find myself tinkering way too much to get things the way I want, and have had to reboot a few times to recover from inexplicable behaviors. Still very happy.

#104 7 years ago

Make sure you install the latest firmware.

Don't install any crap apps (Youtube, facebook, Twitter, Grinder), you have a phone for that.

You can disable all the Android junk like Contacts, Gmail, Google Books, Maps, Printer, GPS.......

Other than the giant update, I've not had to reboot a single time (knock on wood).

Use the fastest Sandisk SD cards.

Only buy Sandisk cards from Adorama or B&H Photo. These 2 sellers ONLY buy direct from Sandisk, never from distributors.

Sandisk says that 40% of all the cards on the market are counterfeit, even ones from Bestbuy have been fake, so don't risk it.

90mb/second:

https://www.adorama.com/idsiums200gb.html

#105 7 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

OK, so you want to use your XDP as an external hard drive. Connect your XDP, let it do it's thing for a minute, then pull down the menu thingy from the top of the screen. Choose "connected as USB device" or whatever the exact wording is, and click the box to share files with the Onkyo. If you've got a lot of songs, this could take overnight.
BUT.....
If you use it through the USB you, won't get the amazing DAC that is built in, instead you will be using Onkyo's cheaper D/A chip.
I'd plug the XDP in to the AUX input on the Onkyo, then put the XDP into the "line out" (or whatever it's called) mode, for the best audio quality.

Thanks, happy with the audio into the line out.

Anyway, the main use for me is when I am away in the camper and off grid with no net to stream.
I now have my full music collection in high quality.

Another bonus is the aptx improved bluetooth quality.
Gives great sound to my Marley Bag of Riddem.

Very pleased you turned me on to this unit, nothing of this quality available locally.

#106 7 years ago

Totally enjoying this player Vid. Love the ease compared to the Ipod interface as well as the audio quality, and EQ. This player is amazing. Glad you posted so I could get one, I even contacted a few friends and they bought one as well.

#107 7 years ago

Ordered a screen protector for this from Germany, only $12 NZ delivered in a week!
Fits perfectly and 2 in the pack.

ebay.com link: itm

#108 7 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Don't install any crap apps (...Grinder)....

No promises

#109 7 years ago
Quoted from kimber:

Ordered a screen protector for this from Germany, only $12 NZ delivered in a week!
Fits perfectly and 2 in the pack.
ebay.com link

Nice find!

English if your German is rusty:
----------

Invisible, easy to mount, removable without residue.
Basics-Clear screen protector by Bruni® - high-quality accessories at a great price.

Specially developed for Pioneer XDP-100R
Made of scratch-resistant, highly transparent PET material and laser-cut on state-of-the-art machines
Can be installed easily and without bubbles, and can be removed or repositioned at any time without residues
Optimized for use on touch displays - unadulterated display of the screen contents and no impairment of the operability
No slipping: once installed, the adhesive-free screen protector no longer moves - optimal edge adhesion guaranteed

With this screen protector, you have found one of the best products when you want to protect your valuable Pioneer XDP-100R display cost effectively and effectively.

The film is self-adhesive thanks to a special silicone adhesive layer and remains firmly and securely in its place - and can still be removed without residues. No additional dust is applied during installation by an antistatic film material.

Precisely manufactured - guaranteed fit. Manufactured with the least possible environmental impact - reduced to the essentials.

Packing content:
• 2 x Basics-Clear screen protector
• including multilingual, illustrated instructions and link to the mounting video
For multi-display devices (e.g., indoor and outdoor displays), a protective film is included in the package for each display.

1 month later
#110 7 years ago

Anyone have a link to a case for the XDP?

#111 7 years ago

The only one I ever see is the official one that apparently they didn't make that many of and sellers are jacking up the price to like $55-$100.

#112 7 years ago

The Vannuys case looks pretty badass too

900x900px-LL-86509560_IMG_1138 (resized).jpeg900x900px-LL-86509560_IMG_1138 (resized).jpeg

#113 7 years ago

I just ordered an open-box one at $219, thanks to you, vid.

This looks a little impractical for on-the-go listening, but I think it will be nice for at work.

#114 7 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

The Vannuys case looks pretty badass too

Kinda looks like the tool pouch that came with my garden pruning snips.

#115 7 years ago
Quoted from roffels:

I just ordered an open-box one at $219, thanks to you, vid.
This looks a little impractical for on-the-go listening, but I think it will be nice for at work.

It's a little smaller footprint than your smartphone, but maybe 3mm thicker.

I'd would have bought a 2nd one @219, that's a great deal. Hopefully whoever returned it left you a mem card in one of the slots.

#116 7 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

It's a little smaller footprint than your smartphone, but maybe 3mm thicker.
I'd would have bought a 2nd one @219, that's a great deal. Hopefully whoever returned it left you a mem card in one of the slots.

Check out Amazon, there's a silver one available open box at $219.

Yeah, the size isn't bad, but I'm already carrying my smart phone, and do quite a bit of listening on the streaming services to find new music during my walks. I currently have all my "good" albums on the phone as FLAC. I'll be moving that and my complete music collection over to the Pioneer.

#117 7 years ago

We were drinking & BSing about some great NEW headphone music last night.

Anyone proposing the 50 year old DSOTM got punched in the cock.

Of course listen to all of these on real FLAC flies, not Youtube, lol

This song has great vocals by Nora Jones, and a tight moving bass track.

ROME -Black

#118 7 years ago

The over the top bass and layered sounds in this track will put your headphones to the test.

The Prodigy - The Day Is My Enemy

#119 7 years ago

CAKE - The Winter

A Beatles style chord progression, but with none of that fruity beatleness. Great guitar tone in the solo near the last quarter.

#120 7 years ago

Nada Surf - What Is Your Secret

#121 7 years ago

Some of my friends said the drum/bass intro is the best part of the song, lol, but sounds great in phones.

Death Cab for Cutie - Long Division

#122 7 years ago

Chime-like sounds from her Gibson SG, the always sexy Neko Case gives a haunting performance about getting eaten by a killer whale.

Neko Case - People Got A Lotta Nerve

#123 7 years ago

this would probably work well too

#124 7 years ago
Quoted from Bax1:

» YouTube video
this would probably work well too

Yeah, Clutch has great production on the last few albums.

#125 7 years ago

been a fan since 95 and have seen them 29 times. I am bit of a clutch junkie.

#126 7 years ago

I had forgotten about this track, but BigEd says it's a demo track on some headphone demonstration CD:

Big bass for sure

Deadmau5 Vs. Gerard Way - Professional Griefers

#127 7 years ago

Bonnie 'Prince' Billy - The Letting Go. Fantastic album if you're into that whole ethereal misty mountain sound.

#128 6 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

also love it that I don't have to go manually get rid of gaps between songs that seamlessly transition into each other (Brain Damage/Eclipse, Golden Slumber Melody, etc.)

Old post, I know, but it blows my mind that iPods still have issues with this. My ogg/mp3 music player in 2004 could do this. Once it had Rockbox, it could do FLAC and other formats.

#129 6 years ago

Vid, need a headphone recommendation. Shoot.

I have an open wallet and loose morals.

#130 6 years ago

Just ran across this thread. Looking over the specs of the Pioneer I wonder if it's much better than my phone. In other words if anyone is truly interested in audiophile sound quality, it's worth taking a look at the LG V20 phone in addition to or instead of this Pioneer:

LG V20
ESS SABRE® ES9218 Quad DAC
http://www.esstech.com/index.php/en/news/newsroom/ess-technology-brings-advanced-audiophile-features-mobile-devices-first-time/

Pioneer
ESS SABRE® DAC ES9018K2M
http://www.esstech.com/index.php/en/products/sabre-digital-analog-converters/sabre-hifi-mobile-dacs/sabre-hifi-stereo-dacs/es9018k2m/

#131 6 years ago

Multipurpose cheap covers.
Re-purposed beer holders.
Ralph one fits better and gives access to buttons but Pincade way cooler!
Cheers
IMG_1755 (resized).JPGIMG_1755 (resized).JPG IMG_1756 (resized).JPGIMG_1756 (resized).JPG

#132 6 years ago
Quoted from Baiter:

Just ran across this thread. Looking over the specs of the Pioneer I wonder if it's much better than my phone. In other words if anyone is truly interested in audiophile sound quality, it's worth taking a look at the LG V20 phone in addition to or instead of this Pioneer:

V20 is a badass phone.

If you can get you boss to spring for a $600 phone with a nice DAC onboard, that's a great choice.

-

For an audiophile server/DAC/headphone combo the XDP has some very non-phone features:

1. Solid aluminum case, no plastic - protects glass edge.

2. Real volume knob and playback/track controls - you can change them without having to turn the screen on.

3. Aluminum bumper loop to keep the headphone jack from shearing off (best feature ever).

4. Dual MicroSDXC memory slots - Nintendo showed 2TB MicroSDXC cards at their Switch unveiling. 4TB of storage will be unsane!

5. Plays MQA high-rez files.

6. SA Mode - turns off all circuitry that does not involve audio playback - for the purest audio.

7. Smaller than a smartphone.

8. Makes on the fly playlists - the thing the iPod needed most.

9. Does not need to be jailbroken to remove all the crapware running in the background.

xdp100_view (resized).pngxdp100_view (resized).png

#133 6 years ago
Quoted from pinster68:

Vid, need a headphone recommendation. Shoot.
I have an open wallet and loose morals.

So far, I have tried the XDP with my reference cans, the Sen HD-650, Apple iPod earbuds, HiFiMan 400i, Grado RS2e, Beats Pro, and Ultrasone Pro 900i.

I was going to get to try the Oppo PM1, but my cousin forgot the cable.

The current undisputed champion is the Ultrasone.

These cans hit so hard and so fast it makes other phones sound like they are playing behind a membrane .

Their bass goes deeper that any of the other phones I've tried. I mean way deeper.

The Beats Pro have more bass, but it's not as clean or as deep (They are fun to listen to though, I'll admit).

The Ultrasones are crazy loud through the XDP, you will never max out the gain. I've been averaging a volume of 110 out of 160.

-

I'm sure everyone else will recommend some other cans that they have tried.

#134 6 years ago

Headphone song of the day

Lost in the Trees - Walk Around the Lake

#135 6 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

The current undisputed champion is the Ultrasone.

Thanks. Current low price is around $350. Can't find the $199 close out. Still considering.

#136 6 years ago
Quoted from pinster68:

Thanks. Current low price is around $350. Can't find the $199 close out. Still considering.

That might give me time to hear the Oppo PM1....might be better yet.

#137 6 years ago

Headphone song of the day

Unlike most rock songs, Rick Rubin recorded/mixed this track with perfect clarity. Each instrument floats in it's own space. The snare has such impact it sounds like it's 5 feet in front of you.

Danzig - She Rides

#138 6 years ago

Got mine yesterday. Despite being sold as "open box" it looked unused - not a finger print on the unit, all accessories still wrapped nicely.

I don't have much time on it, but I'm liking the sound. I've ready so many "hi-fi" reviews over the years with the reviewers going on and on about how they're hearing details they never heard in the recording before. I usually roll my eyes, but here I am picking up on subtle things in the mix - whether that's just me listening more intently or not, who's to say? Regardless, it sounds good, and I was already happy with how FLAC files sounded on my ZTE Axon 7.

I'm using Sennheiser Momentums at the moment, and I'm really curious to see if this can drive my Sennheiser HD600s.

#139 6 years ago

It can drive the HD650s, so the 600s should be OK.

Remember to check the box that doubles the output gain (after you update).

Did your "open box" XDP still have the screen protector on it?

Was the software already updated on it?

#140 6 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

It can drive the HD650s, so the 600s should be OK.
Remember to check the box that doubles the output gain (after you update).
Did your "open box" XDP still have the screen protector on it?
Was the software already updated on it?

Good to know.

The screen protector was still on, but it didn't need a software update. I did not have any option to update it either (assuming it's a Android firmware update?) and haven't seen an output gain checkbox. In Android's system menu, I see a "Gain Setting" that allows me to adjust it from "Low" to "high" - is this what you're referring to?

#141 6 years ago

Yes, before the update, there was no way to enable the high gain.

I think one is in the "sounds and notifications" settings, and the other in the swipe menu (I don't have it in front of me)

#142 6 years ago

Thanks, I think I'm good to go then. Just waiting on my 1/4" to 3.5MM adapter.

#143 6 years ago

Last night a guy saw my XDP and we were BSing about portable audiophile stuff.

He showed me that he took the mechanical harddrive out of his iPod and with an adapter, installed two 512gb SDXC cards. Then he installed the Rockbox operating system so he did not have to ever look at iTunes again.

Now it can play FLACs and do other tricks. It won't drive big cans, or have an audiophile chipset, but it does drag the iPod into the 21st century.

So if your wife will not let you buy a XDP for $219, you can at least put a TB into your old iPod.

P1000179 (resized).jpgP1000179 (resized).jpg

#144 6 years ago

Installing the SD cards into iPod:

https://www.iflash.xyz/

#145 6 years ago

This thread sucks. It's 66% Vid1900.

#146 6 years ago
Quoted from eggbert52:

This thread sucks.

It sucks that your mom has to work on Sundays.

You don't get enough attention.

#147 6 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Last night a guy saw my XDP and we were BSing about portable audiophile stuff.
He showed me that he took the mechanical harddrive out of his iPod and with an adapter, installed two 512gb SDXC cards. Then he installed the Rockbox operating system so he did not have to ever look at iTunes again.
Now it can play FLACs and do other tricks. It won't drive big cans, or have an audiophile chipset, but it does drag the iPod into the 21st century.
So if your wife will not let you buy a XDP for $219, you can at least put a TB into your old iPod.

That's pretty awesome, and Rockbox is great. I ran it on my Iriver HP120 (still do when I drag that out for special projects) and made a good product even better. Around 2007 or 2008, I did something similar with a 64GB Compactflash, having replaced the 20GB hdd.

#148 6 years ago

I also ran Rockbox on my iRiver H320, upgraded the hard drive from 20->40GB to use FLAC, modded the case, etc. It's the reason I ripped my entire 300 CD collection at least twice. At this point my phone makes it far more convenient than carrying around a second player.

As a side note, It's not great keeping headphones on all day, so I have close-range monitor speakers on my computer... definitely something you guys should do if you play music from your computer.

1 week later
#149 6 years ago

An interesting glitch.

The XDP updated software no longer sees .APE files for some reason.

.APE files are lossless files that were popular before .flac files became the standard.

Luckily, dbPoweramp converts APE into FLAC in seconds, with no quality loss.

So, if you find that your APE files won't play (they don't even show up in the XDP menus anymore), just convert them all into .flac - problem solved.

xpdd (resized).jpgxpdd (resized).jpg

#150 6 years ago

Got mine last week, I swear it sounds way better than the iPod

There are 396 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 8.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/audiophile-ipod-299-sale-pioneer-xdp100r/page/3?hl=mnpinball and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.