93301072 (resized).jpg
614xmwdO3bL._SL1123_ (resized).jpg
20-331-227-V01 (resized).jpg
s-l64kkkk0 (resized).jpg
14991 (resized).Jpg
7436947.attach (resized).jpg
61jy+2s8nmL._SL1443_ (resized).jpg
71JIjwCrP6L._SL1500_ (resized).jpg

There are 396 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 8.
#1 7 years ago

You probably remember when your Ipod was your best friend.

You ripped all your CDs into mp3s, you downloaded even more from the Newsgroups, Limewire and PirateBay.

You traded bootleg Phish concerts with psudo-hippies across the globe.

You pried open the case and installed a 200gb harddrive so you could take more of your collection with you.....

...but after a while, iTunes wore out it's welcome. It kept bloating larger and larger. It insisted on installing Quicktime again and again. It kept Win7 from ever shutting down. It would not play your ever increasing FLAC collection.

So, like many people, your iPod stopped getting new music, and you just used your crappy sounding, but convenient, cell phone to listen to new tunes.

-

Pioneer heard your pain and came out with an audiophile ipod, the XDP100R.

It plays ANYTHING including FLACs (those are perfect copies of CDs) and the new MQAs.

It has an audiophile D/A converter, not just some crappy cell phone chip.

It has an audiophile headphone amp, so it can drive real headphones, not just little earbuds.

It has hard buttons to control it while in your pocket (it has a touch screen too).

NO ITUNES OR QUICKTIME !!!!!!!!!!!

Besides it's onboard memory, it takes 2 microSD cards, for up to a terabyte of high-rez storage.

You can swap memory cards if you want to instantly change your entire selection (great for a date if you don't want her to see you have any country music in your collection).

It streams high-rez music from Tidal, Spotify, Qobuz if you are into that kind of thing.

These things were always $700-800 but now they are on sale for $299

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA3JX3VY0124&ignorebbr=1&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleMKP-PC&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleMKP-PC-_-pla-_-MP3+%2F+MP4+Players-_-9SIA3JX3VY0124&gclid=CMexg-OCgdICFQGSaQodMKIPpg&gclsrc=aw.ds

a4_122515 (resized).jpga4_122515 (resized).jpg

55-475-002-05 (resized).jpg55-475-002-05 (resized).jpg

#2 7 years ago

That is interesting indeed. The thing I like aboot the old Ipods are no big screen, no need for dumb tiling of album covers etc etc...just stripped down and they work. Of course Apple is the worst goddamn company in the world and I do despise everything they make now.
Cons : This looks like a nice player although if that's the volume control on the side that;s not a good place for it...unless you can lock it somehow. I'm also more used to using my phone now (and you don;t have to use Itunes)...but as you say this is for a bump up in quality.
Good link.

#3 7 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

This looks like a nice player although if that's the volume control on the side that;s not a good place for it...unless you can lock it somehow.

You can lock it.

The best part about a real volume control is you can find the **exact** volume (160 steps), rather than the 16 steps on your phone.

#4 7 years ago

Wow! This really is a good deal. Thanks for the heads up Vid!

#5 7 years ago

32GB is not really that much space if you are loading WAV or FLAC files onto it.

#6 7 years ago
Quoted from Bugsy:

32GB is not really that much space if you are loading WAV or FLAC files onto it.

Yeah it'd be totally different if you could put like 2 microSD cards in it.

#7 7 years ago
Quoted from Blackjacker:

Yeah it'd be totally different if you could put like 2 microSD cards in it.

Dare to dream!

#8 7 years ago

I bought a FiiO X1 2nd gen. Put in a 128gb microsd card. Love it.
http://amzn.to/2kIFIez

I've been in the process of ripping all my CD's to WAV files since they have zero compression. Have also been to the used music store and been buying a bunch of albums I've never had for like $2 a piece.

#9 7 years ago
Quoted from Bugsy:

No of course not, but that is just the "built in RAM", it has 2 empty microSD card slots in it.

Putting two 1TB cards in it would be serious business.

Every year, larger capacity microSD cards come out, and that offers a nice upgrade path.

1 (resized).jpg1 (resized).jpg

#10 7 years ago

Very cool, any ideas what the battery life is like on this puppy?

#11 7 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

Very cool, any ideas what the battery life is like on this puppy?

I've been getting about 14 hours playing FLACs.

It'll probably take a few charge cycles to see what the battery capacity actually is.

#12 7 years ago

this looks very interesting indeed...

whats up with the Detachable bumper?? kick stand or is it a handle?

#13 7 years ago
Quoted from ENDOFLINE:

this looks very interesting indeed...
whats up with the Detachable bumper?? kick stand or is it a handle?

It keeps the headphone jack from being damaged if you drop it.

That way it wont shear off and have to be fished out....

#14 7 years ago

very kewl

I kinda want one .. haha

Quoted from vid1900:

It keeps the headphone jack from being damaged if you drop it.
That way it wont shear off and have to be fished out....

#15 7 years ago

5% off too if purchased through mobile or app

#16 7 years ago
Quoted from ENDOFLINE:

very kewl
I kinda want one .. haha

I probably paid $400 for my iPod, then a few hundred bucks for a larger hard drive, then $300 for a headphone amp big enough to drive my HD-650s.

So to me, $299 was a no brainer

#17 7 years ago

I have to stop clicking on your threads. Last time I bought a Fender Strat for $799 and now you have me chewing on this

#18 7 years ago

That's certainly a really good price on that but I notice it's sold by one of the marketplace sellers and not Newegg directly. Specifically Electronics Expo who used to have an overall so-so reputation but maybe they're better now-a-days and I guess as long as Newegg makes it good if they don't then 'eh why not grab it.

#19 7 years ago
Quoted from Svengo:

That's certainly a really good price on that but I notice it's sold by one of the marketplace sellers and not Newegg directly. Specifically Electronics Expo who used to have an overall so-so reputation but maybe they're better now-a-days and I guess as long as Newegg makes it good if they don't then 'eh why not grab it.

I got it in 48 hours, and it came with an Electronic Expo bag, and a real paper invoice packed with it.

Can't say anything but good things about the transaction.

B&H has them on sale for $699, if you like them better:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=1207215&gclid=CN7vo4vigdICFZM2aQodhEoBYg&is=REG&ap=y&m=Y&c3api=1876%2C91442437562%2C&Q=&A=details

#20 7 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

I got it in 48 hours, and it came with an Electronic Expo bag, and a real paper invoice packed with it.
Can't say anything but good things about the transaction.
B&H has them on sale for $699, if you like them better:
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=1207215&gclid=CN7vo4vigdICFZM2aQodhEoBYg&is=REG&ap=y&m=Y&c3api=1876%2C91442437562%2C&Q=&A=details

That's good that gives me more confidence then.

I just remember them from some years back and they had a bit of a sketchy rep especially when it came to some bait and switch involving some grey-market items. Looking online it looks like they went bankrupt sometime back and the owner basically bought it from himself and reorganized. Sounds like they may be doing it ok now. I may pick one up thanks for the heads up

#21 7 years ago

I had to buy one.

#22 7 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

No of course not, but that is just the "built in RAM", it has 2 empty microSD card slots in it.
Putting two 1TB cards in it would be serious business.
Every year, larger capacity microSD cards come out, and that offers a nice upgrade path.

Max is 256gb for cards not 2tb. Still way more than i could ever see using. Seems too big to carry around in the bottom of my pocket. 4.7 inches just for the screen?

#23 7 years ago

It's still digital - can't polish a turd.

#24 7 years ago

I'm still fully using my 16 g iPod every day. I'm adding this to my list.

#25 7 years ago
Quoted from Rondogg:

Max is 256gb for cards not 2tb.

I have two 256gb cards in mine, so that's 544gb right now.

512gb and 1tb microSD cards are shipping this year, so when they hit, I'm sure we'll all expand.

microsdxc (resized).jpgmicrosdxc (resized).jpg

#26 7 years ago
Quoted from Rondogg:

Seems too big to carry around in the bottom of my pocket. 4.7 inches just for the screen?

Here is a pic next to my iPod Classic that I put the larger harddrive into.

The newer iPod Touch is obviously larger than the old "classic" ones, but I don't have one handy to take a comparison picture of.

You can take the bumper off the top and bottom of the XDP if you need to make it a little smaller.

comp (resized).jpgcomp (resized).jpg

#27 7 years ago

does it come with software to download. How do you run and load files on it?

#28 7 years ago
Quoted from Methos:

It's still digital - can't polish a turd.

whatta you do...carry around a turntable?

#29 7 years ago

I particularly like comparison photos that are taken with F14 manuals as the backdrop.

Would certainly like to replace my iPod classic with one of these...

#30 7 years ago
Quoted from msj2222:

This sounds like someone who's only used Apple software, and feel like everything has to go through some sort of software.

With these kind of players, you use it like a hard drive. You can either plug it in, and drag files to it. Or load the MicroSD card into a reader and transfer files directly to it. No extra software needed.

#31 7 years ago

Is the amplifier in this better than a phone/ipod as well? So you wouldnt need a external one for better headphones.

#32 7 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Here is a pic next to my iPod Classic that I put the larger harddrive into.
The newer iPod Touch is obviously larger than the old "classic" ones, but I don't have one handy to take a comparison picture of.
You can take the bumper off the top and bottom of the XDP if you need to make it a little smaller.

You sir have excellent taste in music.

#33 7 years ago
Quoted from msj2222:

There is some kind of software you can use with it, but I have not tried it yet:

http://jp.pioneer-audiovisual.com/support/av_pc/compo/dap/xdp-100r/download/index_EN.php

I just put the albums onto microSD cards, and popped them into the player. It automatically found the songs and added them.

I'm not sure what the software does. I'll report back if I try it out.

#34 7 years ago
Quoted from libtech:

Is the amplifier in this better than a phone/ipod as well? So you wouldnt need a external one for better headphones.

It actually has a SABRE 9601K headphone amp built right in.

It drives my big cans, no problem - no iPod can do that.

http://www.esstech.com/index.php/en/products/audio-amplifiers/sabre9601k/

#35 7 years ago
Quoted from Svengo:

You sir have excellent taste in music.

Thanks.

No sense in having a good player if you are going to listen to crap music.

If you like that Zep/Sabbath blues-rock-drive with P K Dick sci-fi lyrics, you got to love Clutch.

The latest album has been in heavy rotation lately:

#36 7 years ago

And today promo code gives you another 5% off on the website. This is a helluva a player.

Quoted from vid1900:

You ripped all your CDs into mp3s, you downloaded even more from the Newsgroups, Limewire and PirateBay.
You pried open the case and installed a 200gb harddrive so you could take more of your collection with you.....
...but after a while, iTunes wore out it's welcome. It kept bloating larger and larger. It insisted on installing Quicktime again and again. It kept Win7 from ever shutting down. It would not play your ever increasing FLAC collection.
So, like many people, your iPod stopped getting new music, and you just used your crappy sounding, but convenient, cell phone to listen to new tunes.
-
It plays ANYTHING including FLACs (those are perfect copies of CDs) and the new MQAs.
It has an audiophile headphone amp, so it can drive real headphones, not just little earbuds.
It has hard buttons to control it while in your pocket (it has a touch screen too).
Besides it's onboard memory, it takes 2 microSD cards, for up to a terabyte of high-rez storage.
You can swap memory cards if you want to instantly change your entire selection (great for a date if you don't want her to see you have any country music in your collection).
It streams high-rez music from Tidal, Spotify, Qobuz if you are into that kind of thing.
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA3JX3VY0124&ignorebbr=1&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleMKP-PC&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleMKP-PC-_-pla-_-MP3+%2F+MP4+Players-_-9SIA3JX3VY0124&gclid=CMexg-OCgdICFQGSaQodMKIPpg&gclsrc=aw.ds

Quoted from vid1900:

-

#37 7 years ago
Quoted from woody24:

This sounds like someone who's only used Apple software, and feel like everything has to go through some sort of software.
With these kind of players, you use it like a hard drive. You can either plug it in, and drag files to it. Or load the MicroSD card into a reader and transfer files directly to it. No extra software needed.

Guilty. I went from cds to my ipod , and now I stream a lot thru my Amazon Prime. I spent a lot of time downloading only songs I liked out of my cd collection. Trying to decide if this is for me.

#38 7 years ago
Quoted from msj2222:

Trying to decide if this is for me.

Only if you want to re-rip your CD's. There's no reason to get this over using your phone if you use the same old MP3's.

That's what I'm in the process of doing. Ripping WAV files, which would be a 1 to 1 copy of the song. No compression at all. So each CD is about 400-650mb, but hell, hard drive space is cheap and large.

#39 7 years ago

Right, but rip your CDs as FLACs.

FLAC is lossless, so it's the exact same quality as WAV, but 1/2 the size.

FLACs often sound much better than the original CDs, because the CD drive simply guess at the missing bits when it can't read due to dust, fingerprints or scratches.

FLACs are error checked when ripped, so if they can't be 100% verified, they are flagged as imperfect copies.

When ripping FLACs from dirty or scratched CDs, the CD drive often slows to a .02X crawl to try and repair the error. Obviously a CD player can't do this in real time, so it just invents replacement bits from the surrounding data to keep the music flowing.

If a CD is too scratched to be perfectly ripped, you can buff out the scratches with Novus2 and give it another try.

If it still can't be perfectly ripped, then just download the FLACs from PirateBay or Usenet guilt free, I mean you do own the original, right?

Here is how to rip 7 CDs at a time into FLACs:

http://www.stereophile.com/content/audiophile-music-server-project

#40 7 years ago

dBpoweramp will take all your WAV files and turn them into FLACs too, so that is a good feature when someone gives you an external harddrive filled with WAV files.

#41 7 years ago

I did lossless when I downloaded them the firstime

#42 7 years ago

Will it play in a vehicle and be recognized an ipod? Lots of cars are ipod but not droid friendly

#43 7 years ago
Quoted from Strummy:

Will it play in a vehicle and be recognized an ipod? Lots of cars are ipod but not droid friendly

The jack on the bottom is a normal microUSB jack, not an oddball AppleJack.

If your car has a USB jack in the console, it will interface with that.

If your car has Bluetooth, it will interface with that, too.

So, figure that you probably need a car made after 2005 to interface with the XDP.

#44 7 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

The jack on the bottom is a normal microUSB jack, not an oddball AppleJack.
If your car has a USB jack in the console, it will interface with that.
If your car has Bluetooth, it will interface with that, too.
So, figure that you probably need a car made after 2005 to interface with the XDP.

So I should be able to see and control the songs that are playing directly on the stereo and not have to look at the player to see whats going on? I do have a usb on my 2011 truck and I see and control the songs playing on the stereo from my old ipod. My droid phone hooks through the aux and I need to look at and use the phone to control and see what is happening.

#45 7 years ago
Quoted from Strummy:

So I should be able to see and control the songs that are playing directly on the stereo and not have to look at the player to see whats going on?

I have only had this thing a few days, so I don't have enough experience to tell you what will work.

The only thing I can tell you for sure is that it interfaces by Bluetooth with a 2013 Ford and the steering wheel controls it no problem.

I'm sure as more pinsiders pick this up, they will report on what is the earliest vehicle it syncs with.

It came out of the box with Android 5.1.1 aka Lollipop if that helps you at all.

#46 7 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

I have only had this thing a few days, so I don't have enough experience to tell you what will work.
The only thing I can tell you for sure is that it interfaces by Bluetooth with a 2013 Ford and the steering wheel controls it no problem.
I'm sure as more pinsiders pick this up, they will report on what is the earliest vehicle it syncs with.
It came out of the box with Android 5.1.1 aka Lollipop if that helps you at all.

That does help. If you have a minute and you have a usb on that ford, would you mind hooking it up through that to see if it interfaces?

#47 7 years ago
Quoted from Strummy:

That does help. If you have a minute and you have a usb on that ford, would you mind hooking it up through that to see if it interfaces?

OK, I'll try and remember a USB cable tomorrow.

#49 7 years ago

It plays through the USB, but the voice readings sometimes require a second command if searching. I see that there is newer firmware from Ford, so I'll have to update and see what's different.

I'll also have to get more familiar with the XDPs structure of how it wants to be commanded; but it's similar to the iPod when connected.

-

I downloaded the Windows software.

It appears to let you import your entire iTunes library and playlists; and it lets you address the internal memory.

It's really simple and unremarkable AFAICT.

#50 7 years ago

Awesome! Thanks so much. Hopefully it will work like that in my 2011 Silverado. Newegg should throw you some cash for doing all this leg work for Them! I'm sold

There are 396 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 8.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/audiophile-ipod-299-sale-pioneer-xdp100r and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.