• 11 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by moyo
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 10 years ago

Hello all,

Just got a new WPC title and one has crisp highs and a little bit of lows and the other has nearly no highs and great lows. Are there caps that control highs and lows? Is there something on the audio board other than caps that could cause this issue. I would just like the two to have tonal balance giving me greater pinball harmony.

Thank you,

Mike

#2 10 years ago

Listing the titles would help a lot.
faz

#3 10 years ago

Sorry...Indy 500 (lot of lows) / Cirqus Voltaire (lots of highs). With Indy 500 not having DCS audio would it make it sound "muddier" than the CV?

#4 10 years ago

Both have DCS audio. Both have the same audio circuitry and speakers. Wpc95 just moved the audio onto aboard with the video. The difference is in the sound samples. Cv has a much better range in its audio track.

That being said, there are other factors that you didn't list or maybe aren't aware of:

- one of the speakers could be dead or blown in one of the games. The high part of the highs come from the right speaker in the backbox
- one of the games may have after market upgraded speakers and the other not.

Can't give advice without more details and since you didn't even list the games in the original post, I'm guessing you're not one for details

#5 10 years ago

As far as the speakers both have the originals. All the speakers are working. The I500 is just plain muddy. That is why I thought it could be an audio board issue. With both having DCS I would think that would roughly have the same tonality. Maybe not?

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#6 10 years ago
Quoted from moyo:

The I500 is just plain muddy.

In listening to the audio on this YouTube video (which isn't even a very good audio capture) it sounds to me like there are plenty of highs and good clarity. Take a look...

#7 10 years ago

Thank you for the video...mine isn't nearly as crisp. Since the speakers work I'm guessing something on the board.

#8 10 years ago
Quoted from moyo:

Thank you for the video...mine isn't nearly as crisp. Since the speakers work I'm guessing something on the board.

A couple possibilities:
1) your cabinet speaker and back box are reversed in the board where they are plugged in. This would cause the backbox to be low pass filtered and the sounds would lack all upper mids and highs.
2) your backbox speakers (especially the one on the right) are worn out. Sound quality can degrade over time especially if the game was previously under harsh conditions.

I find it unlikely to be a board issue. But it's not impossible. Possibly a backbox speaker set swap is in order on the i500.

#9 10 years ago

Thanks...After listening again, the "muddy" I'm hearing is the fact that the back box speakers aren't as loud as the cabinet. All the sounds are there just not as loud. I'd say they're about half the volume of what they should be. I'll check the connectors

#10 10 years ago

I'd suggest starting with the basics, you might accidentally run across the solution. Check power, filtering and cabling first. There are some tips on which other components you might investigate first here:
http://techniek.flipperwinkel.nl/wpc/index3.htm#sound

#11 10 years ago

Thank you

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball
Protection
$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC
Decorations
$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Just 3D Mods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus
Boards
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.
Sound/Speakers
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Eproms
$ 109.95
Electronics
PinSound
Electronics
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields
Decals
$ 37.50
Boards
Pinball Haus
Boards
$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints
Tools
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Van Alstyne, TX
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
1,234 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bismarck, ND
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Eproms
9,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
San Ramon, CA
Boards
PinSound
Boards
Machine - For Sale
Brighton, CO
$ 54.96
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 27.50
Boards
Pinball Haus
Boards
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields
Pinball Machine
$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
Other
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/audio-the-highs-and-the-lows and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.