(Topic ID: 107556)

auction in Calgary

By goldmember

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0033.jpg
    IMG_0032.jpg

#1 9 years ago

pointandclick.com in Calgary A.B , Canada, new in the box pins.... good luck everyone

#2 9 years ago

Not sure how these guys work, has anyone been successful with them? I bid on the pins in their TX auction last month and it left a bad taste in my mouth.

First, they listed all auctions as CAD not USD, and changed it right before the auction closing. I figured since they are a Canadian company the currency would be CAD as it said. This played a role in my bid prices, as I was willing to go a little higher with the 12% exchange difference.

Second, I got screwed on the auction process. They use soft closes for last minute bids, however, I won an auction and there were no other bids placed that night. I had placed my bid several days before hand. I watched a bunch of other lots close that night and about an hour after the auction I was still the ' provisional winner.'

I got an email the next morning saying I was outbid. I reached out to the auctioneer and did not get a response about how I was outbid after the auction closed. Smelled fishy to me.

With both of these issues, I'm not sure I'll ever look at them again.

Anyone have a different experieince?

#3 9 years ago
    Quoted from Black_Knight:

Not sure how these guys work, has anyone been successful with them? I bid on the pins in their TX auction last month and it left a bad taste in my mouth.
    First, they listed all auctions as CAD not USD, and changed it right before the auction closing. I figured since they are a Canadian company the currency would be CAD as it said. This played a role in my bid prices, as I was willing to go a little higher with the 12% exchange difference.
    Second, I got screwed on the auction process. They use soft closes for last minute bids, however, I won an auction and there were no other bids placed that night. I had placed my bid several days before hand. I watched a bunch of other lots close that night and about an hour after the auction I was still the ' provisional winner.'
    I got an email the next morning saying I was outbid. I reached out to the auctioneer and did not get a response about how I was outbid after the auction closed. Smelled fishy to me.
    With both of these issues, I'm not sure I'll ever look at them again.
    Anyone have a different experieince?

There's alot to be said about full disclosure of an auctions rules and good business practices. By what you describe these folks seem lacking in both.

#4 9 years ago

I use to attend their live auctions in Toronto. Now they moved the shills online so you won't by chance recognize them. All their auctions seem to get good dollar amounts for some reason......
    never any deals.

That being said I do have a few items I will be watching the prices on.

#5 9 years ago

bidding starts in 15 mins. I hope to get the TRSLE. good luck guys

#6 9 years ago

Wow those prices jumped up pretty quick, must be a lot of people interested too.

When I bid, no one countered until an hour before the auction close.

#7 9 years ago

People are insane at those prices...you have to pay a 10% premium on all purchase plus the taxes. The person bidding on the TFLE should have bought spencer's game. If I'm not mistaking he was selling it for $4500 for one day only a few days ago. At 4,550...that's $450 in premiums and another $227.50 in taxes so someone is buying this thing for $5227.50!!!!!

#8 9 years ago

I am checking out the prices on the dance machines to get an idea of their 'true' perceived value. I'm not a return bidder nor do I want to sign up for more spam. If anyone is watching lots please give me a heads up on the final price they reach.
    I can't see them going too high as they weigh so much you need a team to move them.

#9 9 years ago
    Quoted from flashinstinct:

People are insane at those prices...you have to pay a 10% premium on all purchase plus the taxes. The person bidding on the TFLE should have bought spencer's game. If I'm not mistaking he was selling it for $4500 for one day only a few days ago. At 4,550...that's $450 in premiums and another $227.50 in taxes so someone is buying this thing for $5227.50!!!!!

I was thinking that too. Add in Spencer's mods and his machine was 1000.00 cheaper. And that is if the auction price remains where it is, still plenty of time left.

#10 9 years ago

Mustang LE NIB $3650 CAD - that'll probably go up before tomorrow.

#11 9 years ago

As of right now, this is where they are sitting (I'm not sure if the bid amounts are the current bids or the required bid to take the lead):

-Transformers Decepticon LE NIB $4500, $5200
    -Rolling Stones LE $3000, $3500
    -Indiana Jones $3150, $3650
    -Mustang LE NIB $3700, $4275
    -Rolling Stones Pro $2800, $3250
    -Avengers LE blue NIB $4250, $4910

I've marked two prices next to each. The first is the listed price, the second is what you pay, roughly (10% & 5%). That's assuming I'm not missing anything, places like this sometimes have hidden fees, so if you plan on bidding at that price, throw an extra couple hundred onto it just to be safe.

EDIT: This is with 1d10h left in the auction.

#12 9 years ago

Interesting to see what some of these games end up going for.

#13 9 years ago

Seems like Spencer's HUO Transformers LE for $4500 was a good deal. I don't really think any bargains will be had on these pins.

#14 9 years ago
    Quoted from violinfather:

Seems like Spencer's HUO Transformers LE for $4500 was a good deal. I don't really think any bargains will be had on these pins.

I think it is always good to remember that these NIB games are worth slightly more than HUO or excellent condition machines (even if they are modded out), after all they are used games.

#15 9 years ago
    Quoted from pins4life33:

I think it is always good to remember that these NIB games are worth slightly more than HUO or excellent condition machines (even if they are modded out), after all they are used games.

Depends on the buyer and mods imo.

NIB price only stays NIB price until you open the box. Then it is "used" like every other machine out there, so you paid more for the privilege of slicing open the cardboard and doing any tweaks that have to be made. If having that privilege means something to the buyer, then yeah, NIB would make more sense.

For me, I would take an excellent condtion machine with over a NIB of the same title if the "used" one had mods that I would want to purchase, ship and install anyway.

#16 9 years ago

The annoying thing is I would bet these machines will simply be on kijiji in a few weeks or months for a few hundred/grand more than the final auction price. When you see the same names plastered across all the machines, to me that's not indicative of interested in owning or playing a particular machine...

#17 9 years ago

I just thought it was all that tar sands money getting spent.
    Met a few at a union conference. Getting all kinds of money and nothing to waste it on.

#18 9 years ago

11H Left, this is where they are at

-Transformers Decepticon LE NIB $4600
    -Rolling Stones LE $3400
    -Indiana Jones $3150
    -Mustang LE NIB $4500
    -Rolling Stones Pro $2800
    -Avengers LE blue NIB $4700

#19 9 years ago
    Quoted from paul_8788:

Depends on the buyer and mods imo.
    NIB price only stays NIB price until you open the box. Then it is "used" like every other machine out there, so you paid more for the privilege of slicing open the cardboard and doing any tweaks that have to be made. If having that privilege means something to the buyer, then yeah, NIB would make more sense.
    For me, I would take an excellent condtion machine with over a NIB of the same title if the "used" one had mods that I would want to purchase, ship and install anyway.

Yep I would perfer a good used machine too, but am I willing to pay more for it then I would a NIB machine probably not...

Case in point NIB ACDC Pro NIB 4995 shipped + taxes, however, I would not pay for an excellent condition fully modded out one for that price I would probably only pay around $4500 in total. In a NIB you get the pleasure of saying you were the only owner, and it is sad as soon as you unbox that machine it is worth less.

#20 9 years ago
    Quoted from BMHouze:

Met a few at a union conference. Getting all kinds of money and nothing to waste it on.

Pretty much. Alberta's hiring if anyone is looking to partake in said money

#21 9 years ago
    Quoted from pins4life33:

Case in point NIB ACDC Pro NIB 4995 shipped + taxes, however, I would not pay for an excellent condition fully modded out one for that price I would probably only pay around $4500 in total. In a NIB you get the pleasure of saying you were the only owner, and it is sad as soon as you unbox that machine it is worth less.

That's why I said it depends on the buyer. I personally would look at the whole cost. If the used machine in question had $500.00 in mods that I know I would want to go buy right after getting the NIB ACDC Pro, then the cost of the NIB ACDC Pro is now ~5750.00 (including taxes and base cost of mods, assuming only $50.00 in shipping for the mods). That would make me look pretty hard at purchasing the excellent condition used AC/DC at $4995.00 as I am saving $750.00, and don't have to worry about the machine getting damaged in shipping and the instant depreciation as soon as I open the box.

If another buyer could care less about the mods and would never add them to the NIB, then they do have no value to the buyer so they wouldn't want to pay more.

Different strokes for different folks.

#22 9 years ago
    Quoted from BMHouze:

with oil being in at $80/barrel, It could get a little scary soon. But think of how much money the federal govt takes from Alberta to gives the rest of the country. YOLO !!!

#23 9 years ago

Wow high bid on Avengers LE was $7507 all fees in. The same price as buying brand new from Starburst. I was out at $5700.

#24 9 years ago

the prices were crazy IMO....the only deal was mustang, which is not a bad game.

#25 9 years ago

anyone know what the ij4 went for before fees ?

#26 9 years ago

Last I saw the IJ was at 3100.00 before fees.

#27 9 years ago

Last time I checked the dance machines they were both at $210
    Anyone watch them?

On a side note the TO listings are starting to filter in and get added to the listing.

#28 9 years ago

The best deal was for Mustang as it was had for 6300.00 ($7245)... Right now the best deal you could have gotten NIB in Canada is around $8400 so solid deal there. All others were too high IMO and I would not have bid on them.

#29 9 years ago
    Quoted from paul_8788:

Last I saw the IJ was at 3100.00 before fees.

Same. Assuming it didn't climb, that puts it at about ~3500-3600 after tax and fees which imo is crazy for a routed/used IJ4.

#30 9 years ago

The IJ was beat... So was the Stones Pro and it sold for more than the LE, which was nice.

IMG_0032.jpgIMG_0032.jpg

IMG_0033.jpgIMG_0033.jpg

#31 9 years ago

Yikes, looks rough.

#32 9 years ago

It looked (in the pics) as good as I'd expect it to. Would have been interested at the $2500 mark (tax/fees in) myself, but at $3500 I would want a damn good condition IJ4. (actually probably not even then )

#33 9 years ago

I put in a few bids on a few of the kiddie items and racers, absurd prices for questionable quality. No thanks.

#34 9 years ago

I had my eye on a few of the arcade things. If they had pickup on the weekend or the auction was local I would be out a few hundred bucks and a lot of square footage. I'm willing to take a day off for pinball, less so for arcade junk.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/auction-in-calgary and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.