Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 43 posts
  • 13 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by sandersj
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

03_(resized).jpg
    Da_Craig_2_(resized).jpg
    Dameyune-Craig_1_(resized).jpg
    LSU_Tiger_Stadium_(resized).jpg
    #1 8 years ago

Hey everyone, we are a new club forming in and around the Auburn, Alabama area. We are meeting tonight to discuss starting a league and tournaments. If you are nearby, please come join us. Please send me a PM for more info.

#3 8 years ago

Lol, I got excited that maybe another Pinsider was interested and instead I get a LSU fan.

#4 8 years ago
    Quoted from maffewl:

Lol, I got excited that maybe another Pinsider was interested and instead I get a LSU fan.

At least we are both SEC.

LSU_Tiger_Stadium_(resized).jpgLSU_Tiger_Stadium_(resized).jpg

#5 8 years ago
    Quoted from maffewl:

Oh, and thanks for our new WR coach!!! I remember watching him in the mid-90's. He was one of the best QB's of his era for sure. Hopefully he can help ours now...

Dameyune-Craig_1_(resized).jpgDameyune-Craig_1_(resized).jpgDa_Craig_2_(resized).jpgDa_Craig_2_(resized).jpg

#6 8 years ago

Wait until you see how well he recruits. It's going to be tough to replace him.

#7 8 years ago

I used to live in Opelika a few years ago and couldn't find anyone who was into pinball in the area.

How many do you have in your group?

#8 8 years ago

Yeah. It's pretty scarce around here. We currently have around 8-10.

#9 8 years ago

I'm in Montgomery and it's pin dry here too. Other than friends that come over and play there aren't alot of players around. I have only early SS machines..........

#10 8 years ago
    Quoted from pinkid:

I'm in Montgomery and it's pin dry here too. Other than friends that come over and play there aren't alot of players around. I have only early SS machines..........

Pinsider RTR is in your area, and he has a stellar collection. Super nice guy too.

You are welcome to join our league as well if you don't mind a 45 min. drive.

#11 8 years ago
    Quoted from maffewl:

We are meeting tonight to discuss starting a league and tournaments

So, how did the meeting go?

What type of format for your league are you going to follow? How long will your seasons be and how often will you meet? Are you doing some type of prize pool? Rotating from home to home or do you have a rout operator with a good location? What are you doing other than the league with the club?

We want to start a league in Lake Charles sometime after TPF. We have similar numbers to you so just view me as your friendly and nosy LSU pinball friend and let me know what works and what doesn't to ease our own path.

#12 8 years ago

i would recommend 4-player match play. you'll maximize the point values that way. with 8-12 players, you only need 3 machines if you want everyone playing at once, or you could get by with 1 with more time for socializing.

depending on people's schedules, i recommend meeting weekly or every two weeks. make the season long enough to get 100% tgp, but not much longer, or you'll leave points on the table.

as far as the cost, i'd say make it whatever people are comfortable spending. i've seen anything from $0-30

#13 8 years ago
    Quoted from maffewl:

Yeah. It's pretty scarce around here. We currently have around 8-10.

I thought it was boring as hell down there. The weather was nice but other than that it pretty-much sucked.

As far as Auburn goes, the fondest memories I have were Pannie George's Kitchen (an awesome southern / soul food restaurant) and Mike & Ed's Barbeque (definitely awesome barbeque). Both were to die for.

I used to hang with the guys at the Opelika Home Depot every week for the classic car cruise-in but other than that it was deadsville. I couldn't wait to get the heck out of there. The weather was great and it was inexpensive but it was freakin' boring man! I hate the Auburn Tigers so there was nothing there for me. About the only school I hate worse is the Crimson Tide. They should castrate that a-hole who killed the tree though.

Oh well. If I was a golfer I might have been in heaven.

#14 8 years ago

Lol, don't hold back Gatecrasher. I disagree with your assessment, but being that I'm an Auburn alumni, I have some partiality to the college that you obviously do not share. But we can agree that Mike & Ed's is some stellar bbq. So at least that's a start. I actually came from a city that was extremely boring so when moving back here, it feels like there is much more to do. The university always has functions to go to such as concerts and games, so we feel there is always something to do. And of course we dig the college vibe as it always makes things feel active. I could see though that if you aren't a fan, it would be a tough place to be. If you are ever down in the area again, please feel free to contact me.

#15 8 years ago

As for how the meeting went and our structure... the meeting was good. There were 6 of us that showed up, but some others had scheduling conflicts. It was a good discussion of ideas and how we are wanting to move forward. One of our members got into contact with some of the heavy hitters in Birmingham and Atlanta, so that was a good start. And another member is quite active in leagues and tournament ("Shimoda" here on Pinside), and his comments were appreciated on methods and styles. In all, we are still a newly forming group and trying to find our way, but hope to get something on the books soon. I'll keep you in the loop and please do the same for me as your group moves forward. Maybe we can have a club vs. club get together or something at some point.

#16 8 years ago

Welcome! There's a big group that meets weekly in the Birmingham area on Tuesdays if y'all are ever in the area. We also have tournaments regularly, and the state championships were held in Birmingham recently too. I have a Williams Satin Doll for sale if anyone in your group is looking for a pin that's not too far away and reasonably priced. Feel free to reach out to me if you ever need anything. I'm only a couple of hours away!

#17 8 years ago
    Quoted from maffewl:

But we can agree that Mike & Ed's is some stellar bbq. So at least that's a start.

Mike & Ed's is definitely one of the best.

Have you ever eaten at Pannie George's? That is awesome too!

I remember in 2011 when ESPN was in town for a football game Todd Blackledge went there for his "Taste of the Town" feature and they fed him like a king! The place is always packed because the food is so darn good. I'd love to have Todd Blackledge's job although I'd probably weight 400 lbs. if I did! He must workout like a bandit after the feasts he has.

http://www.panniegeorgeskitchen.com/index.html

#18 8 years ago

I got my MBA at Auburn -War Damn Eagle!!!
    Next time I am coming down I will shoot u a pm.

#19 8 years ago

I have filed the registration with the IFPA. First event will be held at my place this Friday. If you are interested, PM me for details. For prospective league members only, not an open public event.

#20 8 years ago

Friday bump......

#21 8 years ago
    Quoted from AJB4:

I got my MBA at Auburn -War Damn Eagle!!!
    Next time I am coming down I will shoot u a pm.

Please do!

#22 8 years ago
    Quoted from shimoda:

I have filed the registration with the IFPA. First event will be held at my place this Friday. If you are interested, PM me for details. For prospective league members only, not an open public event.

League event has been cancelled due to some schedule conflicts. We will be rescheduling to possibly next week. Please send either shimoda or me a message if you are interested in participating.

2 weeks later
    #23 8 years ago

The first APC league event will be held this Sunday, April 10, 1:00pmC/2:00pmE. If anyone is interested, please send either myself or "shimoda" a PM.

#24 8 years ago

As maffewl mentioned, if you want to participate in this first event of our first season, shoot myself or maffewl a PM. Event will be in Columbus, GA, future events will be here or Auburn.

#25 8 years ago
    Quoted from shimoda:

As maffewl mentioned, if you want to participate in this first event of our first season, shoot myself or maffewl a PM. Event will be in Columbus, GA, future events will be here or Auburn.

And possibly Montgomery.

#26 8 years ago
    Quoted from maffewl:

And possibly Montgomery.

Oh yeah, actually, hopefully Montgomery (from what I've heard

#27 8 years ago

Thanks to the guys that came yesterday. We got in ten of the 25 games for our first season. Everything went smoothly (other than perhaps most of us playing several games multiple times). Was fun hosting my first event - glad nothing went wrong. Looking forward to the next event!

#28 8 years ago

Had a great time yesterday! Thanks for hosting shimoda!

#29 8 years ago

Yep, great time. Thanks Mark and nice putting some faces to a name. Looking forward to our next meeting.

#30 8 years ago

Aw yeah now I have something to do when I visit my parents next time! I used to play Taxi at Foy when I was in high school and/or college way back when. Will hit you all up my next trip for sure.

#31 8 years ago

Please do genex!

#32 8 years ago

We are looking at having our next event on Sunday, April 24, practice starting at 4:30 pm cst, games starting at 5:30 pm cst. Pm for more info.

#33 8 years ago

The current list of games for our next league event (April 24) is:

Star Trek the Next Generation
    The Shadow
    Pirates of the Caribbean
    Baywatch
    Space Mission
    Sinbad
    (Hopefully more to come...)

#34 8 years ago

Great to see you guys firing up some activity down south.

#35 8 years ago

Jeff, it's been a slow start but our first event at Mark's home went well. Mark did a great job running the software program for the league. Hopefully, we will have a place soon in the wild that will have several pins that we can host league events/tournaments. We'd love to have several places to choose from like you have up in Huntsville.

#36 8 years ago

Someone snag up that Baywatch that was in Mobile?

#37 8 years ago
    Quoted from TigerLaw:

At least we are both SEC.

This SEC stuff confuses me. In private you always say Auburn is evil yet you cheer for them in post season games and are friendly with them and always watch them play. Same with Florida and Alabama and Texas AM.

Does LSU like or dislike Auburn? It seems both.

#38 8 years ago
    Quoted from Pahuffman:

Someone snag up that Baywatch that was in Mobile?

This one came from Knoxville, TN and I restored/rebuilt it.

#39 8 years ago
    Quoted from PavBall:

This SEC stuff confuses me. In private you always say Auburn is evil yet you cheer for them in post season games and are friendly with them and always watch them play. Same with Florida and Alabama and Texas AM.
    Does LSU like or dislike Auburn? It seems both.

Speaking from an Auburn point of view, but essentially all SEC is the same. We dislike all other SEC schools unless they are playing someone we dislike more. I.e., I don't like LSU, but if they are playing Georgia, I'm rooting for LSU, because I can't stand Georgia. Rooting for the SEC in the bowl games is somewhat bitter sweet. We really don't want to see the other SEC team win, but we know rising water (avoiding a certain word in the phrase on purpose), raises all ships.

#40 7 years ago

Next event scheduled for this Sunday (April 24) with practice beginning at 4:30pm central, and event starting at 5:30pm central. Please PM either me or shimoda for more info.

#41 7 years ago

APC event today with practice starting at 4:30pm Central, and games starting at 5:30pm Central in Auburn, AL. All are welcome, PM for more info.

#42 7 years ago

We are tentatively planning the next event for May 15 in Auburn, AL. PM for more info.

3 weeks later

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/auburn-al-pinball-club and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.