13 days ago

Topic Stats

• 100 posts
  • 48 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 days ago by JY64
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Would you like to see Stern make a Bttf pin?”

• Yes 120 votes
      37%
    • No 132 votes
      40%
    • TAKE MY MONEY!! 60 votes
      18%
    • I'm just here to trash Stern games 14 votes
      4%

(Multiple choice - 326 votes by 300 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

There have been 5 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Screen Shot 2019-06-12 at 9.17.20 AM (resized).png
    P-0R5-QAQ-AC0 (resized).jpg
    haha-nelson (resized).jpeg
    20190606_134832 (resized).jpg
    mceleney-2 (resized).jpg

There are 100 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 12 days ago

If another BTTF gets made, I definitely hope Jack does it. Or another company that is not afraid of taking chances with their layouts.

Gary has had his shot on the theme and it's one of the lousiest games of the past 30 years, imho. Which is quite an accomplishment, with a perfect theme like BTTF.

#52 12 days ago
    Quoted from Graysonsdad:

Black Knight (and Elvira) cough cough

You have a coughing problem? Never mentioned Black knight or Elvira. Gary has stated Bttf has been done and he has no interest in doing another one.

#53 12 days ago

Doubt this license is available.

Don't Deeproot already have it?

#54 12 days ago
    Quoted from Graysonsdad:

Gary didnt make bttf either so what's your cough cough point? My point was he clearly has no problem revisiting themes as a company.

Um I think he did.. check the promo flyer that's Gary as Doc !

#55 12 days ago
    Quoted from Wakky:

You have a coughing problem? Never mentioned Black knight or Elvira. Gary has stated Bttf has been done and he has no interest in doing another one.

That's the best news I've heard all day. Hopefully another company will pickup this title, one that isn't out to pump their profits and deliver a game void of features and minimal code. It's almost at the point, if Lyman's not programming, then the uncertainty of what you'll own is too risky to commit to an LE preorder. Thank goodness the rumors state he's on Elvira. Fingers crossed the playfield layout hasn't been cost cut.

#56 12 days ago
    Quoted from Wakky:

Gary has stated he has no interest in revisiting this theme. His answer is 'Been there done that ' .
    Time to move on he says .
    Cheers

Funny, he said the same thing about zombies. Until he got sick of hearing about it. Then the majority finally got heard.
    He’s already sick and tired about Jaws, which is a good sign. I tend to be a pita about titles I want and try to lobby for them. Bttf is a great idea and I’d push for it! Road Warrior too.

Keep these threads coming Amigo!

#57 12 days ago

I don't care who does it. Just do it while we still have Christopher Lloyd for the call outs.

#58 12 days ago
    Quoted from Wakky:

Um I think he did.. check the promo flyer that's Gary as Doc !

And in the Deadpool flyer as a cartoon character. Again, AS A COMPANY, Gary will revisit any profitable theme
    Youre going to take Gary at his word? Money is king and Gary goes where the money is. There is plenty of money to be made if BTTF gets made.

#59 12 days ago
    Quoted from Graysonsdad:

There is plenty of money to be made if BTTF gets made.

Ain't that the truth!

#60 12 days ago

I'm clearly in the minority, but I'm sick of repeats, old man band themes, and tv/movie themes from the 80s and earlier. There's so many cool contemporary themes right now that would make great pinball machines and help to attract younger players a lot more.

#61 12 days ago
    Quoted from Tranquilize:

I'm clearly in the minority, but I'm sick of repeats, old man band themes, and tv/movie themes from the 80s and earlier. There's so many cool contemporary themes right now that would make great pinball machines and help to attract younger players a lot more.

You cannot argue with sales results. Best sellers are these pins - ACDC, GB, MET, etc. Younger players are not the ones buying pins either. BTTF is popular enough so it would do fine. I would think licensing would be very restrictive with the actors and voice talents. I don't know if you would have to license the DeLorean separately but that is important. Same for 80's music. If you cannot deliver the entire package, it's just going to suck. I would love to see a little Getaway action where you build up mph's and then "shift" a lever (or action button) to time travel. With some magnets and flame leds, you could create a pretty cool effect.

#62 12 days ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Now you've gone full troll mode lol. Not surprised. Have fun with your two standard ramps, two orbits and bash toy for $6k - $9k!

Quoted from Hazoff:

Now if thats not the Troll calling the Kettle Black. Come on u don't come into a thread unless its to lick Jacks balls and kick Gary right in them. The comments are rife with douchebaggery here I'm afraid. "I hope its made but not by Stern" the stupid side of pinside is strong with this thread. I like the theme and hope its gets made for everyone else whos a fan but time to leave.

Typical Pinside Stern vs JJP

#63 12 days ago
    Quoted from JY64:

Typical Pinside Stern vs JJP

This coming from you is hilarious.

#64 12 days ago

I can’t wait for the “where’s the clock tower topper” thread

#65 12 days ago
    Quoted from chubtoad13:

They will re release the Munsters topper as the clock that hit doc on the head lol

#66 12 days ago
    Quoted from vwallat99:

They also made 3 Star Wars games so yeah lets try BTTF again and get it done right. Please.

Six:

Sonic
    Hankin
    Data East
    Sega
    Williams
    Stern

. . . and none of them got it right

#67 12 days ago

I'm in for one!

#68 11 days ago

I'm a huge fan of the franchise yep including number 3. Although 1 & 2 are way superior. My Boxer dogs names are Marty McFly & Doc Emmett Brown. Despite the fact that I'm a huge fan I don't own the BTTF Data East due to the fact that it IMO does not do the film justice. Although people have said they don't love an over / under playfield mentioned in this thread. I think that the under could be the past (1885), the main level the present (1985), and the upper playfield (2015). Each element of the playfield could be themed out to that time period. You can have the LCD look like an old TV 4:3 during 1985, upper playfield have a holographic image of JAWS 19. Lower playfield screen can be an old shoot out saloon shooting bottles etc. The lower playfield could be inside a train tunnel that you need to get out of and back to 1985. Have the upper backbox blow wind in your face and have the train howling at you etc adding to the intensity. Magnets which would float the pinball on the upper playfield in (2015) hover board element etc. In 1985 wireform ramps / skateboard. You can have the clock tower incorporated into a portion of the backbox with a functioning clock similar to Williams Diner pin. Hitting the other ramps getting the "Deloreon" up to 88mph would cause a nice LED flashing effect zapping you off to one of those designated time zones. Collecting plutonium multiball, F-L-U-X capacitor drop targets / and or rollover lanes etc. Einstein lane saves or mode. Save Clara Mode, Save Jennifer, Avoid your parents mode. Pop bumper punch mode to knock out BIFF. Spinners in lower playfield can add coal to the train to push the deloreon back in time.... Huey Lewis & The News songs jamming in the background even if they are too damn loud... Chuck Berry's Johnny B Good song somehow gets incorporated into a mode where you need to hit targets to play the song to make sure your parents picture doesn't fade away on the LCD screen.

I'm not sure if Stern, JJP, Deeproot, [insert other company here] would do it. Bottom line is so long as it's done right... I'm a buyer. Next year marks the 35th anniversary, you never know. My guess is IF this comes out it will be either 2020 ( yes next year), 2025 for the 40th, 2030 for the 45th or likely last chance 2035 for the 50th. Yes I know JJP did a 75th WOZ so you never know...But the sooner the better for this one. So within 1-16 years I'm going to say it's going to happen, where someone one of those companies will make the game. How well will the make it on attempt 2, I can tell you it's not hard to beat the Data East game at this point, so whomever makes it will seem like a hero in comparison to the DE version.

#69 11 days ago

In theory every pinball company would be happy to do a BTTF game, I think. The problem is the licensing: Michael J Fox apparently wants no part of it. So you can't use his likeliness and possibly no voice calls from him from the movies either. That alone makes it a lot less interesting as a license for any pinball company.
    There is a VPCabs BTTF pinball game, and it doesn't show the face of Marty anywhere. So it can be done, but with restrictions. However, it's these restrictions that pinball companies are getting sick and tired of. I guess, we're at the point where pinball companies (or design teams) lose interest in a theme if they know upfront the approval process is going to be difficult at best. Then why bother? They rather spend their time and money on something that will allow more creativity, without the headaches of worrying about what today's licensing manager will think of what they came up with.

#70 11 days ago
    Quoted from unigroove:

In theory every pinball company would be happy to do a BTTF game, I think. The problem is the licensing: Michael J Fox apparently wants no part of it. So you can't use his likeliness and possibly no voice calls from him from the movies either. That alone makes it a lot less interesting as a license for any pinball company.

I don't know if that's entirely true. Michael J Fox reprised his role as Marty for the pc game a couple years back. I had heard that his agent turned him down for the Data East pin and that MJF wished he had known about it and probably would have done it.

#71 11 days ago
    Quoted from chubtoad13:

You mean the plastic, cheap looking $600 Stern topper that has blinking LED's? It's on it's way.

#72 11 days ago

As long as they get the rights to the (full) movie clips and letting Frachi put his likeness on the backglass, I dont need Micheal J Fox to be any more involved. Christopher Lloyd should be doing the call outs anyway. Great Scott!
    Also, having met Michael J Fox, I cant see him personally turning this down unless his managers tell him to. He might be one of the nicest, down to earth celebrities out there.

#73 11 days ago
    Quoted from unigroove:

There is a VPCabs BTTF pinball game, and it doesn't show the face of Marty anywhere. So it can be done, but with restrictions. However, it's these restrictions that pinball companies are getting sick and tired of. I guess, we're at the point where pinball companies (or design teams) lose interest in a theme if they know upfront the approval process is going to be difficult at best. Then why bother? They rather spend their time and money on something that will allow more creativity, without the headaches of worrying about what today's licensing manager will think of what they came up with.

That's not true . When we spoke to Christopher Lloyd regarding MJF not being on the pinball he stated at the time Michael's contract agreements had finished and he was working on another film called Doc Hollywood. Fox is/was a huge pinball fan but due to studio timings and contracts he was not able to be involved with Data East.

Straight from Christopher Lloyd himself. If you see him at any conventions just ask him and the answer will be the same.
    He also said do not read into internet rumors or what is printed regarding Michael's absence as it's not true.

#74 11 days ago
    Quoted from Wakky:

That's not true . When we spoke to Christopher Lloyd regarding MJF not being on the pinball he stated at the time Michael's contract agreements had finished and he was working on another film called Doc Hollywood. Fox is/was a huge pinball fan bit due to studio timings and contracts he was not able to be involved with Data East.
    Straight from Christopher Lloyd himself. If you see him at any conventions just ask him and the answer will be the same.
    He also said do not read into internet rumors or what is printed regarding Michael's absence as it's not true.

I'd heard the data east thing was a conflicting film contract but didnt have enough details to share my thoughts.

#75 11 days ago
    Quoted from Graysonsdad:

Also, having met Michael J Fox... He might be one of the nicest, down to earth celebrities out there.

I'll vouch for that.

My friend Nick to the left, the legend, and me on the right.

We both own DeLoreans. Nick has an LS1 motor swap, and I have a VR6 motor swap.

Needless to say, BTTF had a massive influence on both of us.

P-0R5-QAQ-AC0 (resized).jpg
    #76 11 days ago
    Quoted from unigroove:

The problem is the licensing: Michael J Fox apparently wants no part of it. So you can't use his likeliness and possibly no voice calls from him from the movies either. That alone makes it a lot less interesting as a license for any pinball company

PinballFX did a bttf table:

It has the delorean, movie clips, doc brown and marty characters (pretty sure it's fake voiceovers), but if it's that good I really don't care.. Have you heard Christopher Lloyd talk lately? I'd rather have it done by voiceover

I think excusing this title because it'd be too expensive is a cop-out.

#77 11 days ago

I've got a lot of Stern pins, but I rather see JJP do BTTF.

#78 11 days ago
    Quoted from Cobray:

You mean the plastic, cheap looking $600 Stern topper that has blinking LED's? It's on it's way.

My current favorite thing on pinside is people complaining about things on Stern games that don’t exist.

#79 10 days ago
    Quoted from Graysonsdad:

I'd heard the data east thing was a conflicting film contract but didnt have enough details to share my thoughts.

Yep pretty much what I had mentioned in my post.

#80 10 days ago
    Quoted from Tranquilize:

Please enlighten us as to what contemporary themes would make young players run out and spend all their money on?

Funny my kids love all the old themes. They have zero interest in all the new rehashed unimaginative garbage out now.

I still don't get the interest in theme over quality of game. How about a decent fun game, forget the theme for a change. Really who watches repeated movie clips while they are playing a game?

#81 10 days ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

My current favorite thing on pinside is people complaining about things on Stern games that don’t exist.

Stern is the 90s Yankees or the 2000 NE Pats you are a fan or you hate them as they are the top dog

#82 10 days ago
    Quoted from Edster:

Please enlighten us as to what contemporary themes would make young players run out and spend all their money on?
    Funny my kids love all the old themes. They have zero interest in all the new rehashed unimaginative garbage out now.
    I still don't get the interest in theme over quality of game. How about a decent fun game, forget the theme for a change. Really who watches repeated movie clips while they are playing a game?

Quoted from Edster:

Theme, if done right, leads to immersion. Immersion in a long or successful pinball game being played has the power to make one forget they’re even playing and are trying to make the fun last as long as they can. Playing a Katie Perry pin has zero chance of ever getting past the interest stage for me no matter how well designed. Look at all the bad press DI got, even though folks are loving the gameplay.

#83 10 days ago

Younglings can remind us how they’re not being heard right now but it was the same for us genXers 20 years ago. Our time right now, will be theirs 20 from now.

#84 9 days ago

Are we at a stage now where pinball companies are running out of mass appeal blockbuster themes or are our games rooms full? I think Back to the Future is the only really must buy title for me at the moment. The rest are just a wait and see.

I'm not interested in any of the rumoured titles coming up. Interested to see Elvira because the previous games are so great and Elvira is such a fun character. Would love a JAWS pin for the fans....but those titles aren't a must buy for me.

A Rick and Morty pinball could be a nice substitute if Back to the Future is a tough license for pinball in 2019. Thoughts?

#85 9 days ago

I can't believe titles like Elivra 3 and Munsters are being made but not Back to the Future. A new BTTF pin, If done properly (all assets from all 3 movies), would print money!

#86 9 days ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

I can't believe titles like Elivra 3 and Munsters are being made but not Back to the Future. A new BTTF pin, If none properly (all assets from all 3 movies), would print money!

Exactly. It's a no brainer. In the current ravenous pinball climate, this would sell out of all LE models regardless of code or layout. And the location line is total BS. Everyone on the planet recognises the DeLorean. Had beers with friends the other night and talking about favourite movies. Back to the Future was mentioned in my list. Someone replied. "My kid loves that movie as well!"

I'm guessing Gary Stern is either downplaying it because a) the license is too hard to get or b) somebody else already has the license....and if the license is difficult, it will be like KISS. It won't happen now but it will happen. Stern are going to need to dip into these big franchises again because not everyone wants a theme based on the Deadpool comic.

#87 9 days ago

30 years ago I might have been excited by this.

#88 9 days ago
    Quoted from drsfmd:

30 years ago I might have been excited by this.

I think you meant to say, “Back to the Future? I haven’t been excited about that in......30 years..”

#89 9 days ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

I can't believe titles like Elivra 3 and Munsters are being made but not Back to the Future. A new BTTF pin, If none properly (all assets from all 3 movies), would print money!

This game would print money even if it wasn’t done “properly”

#90 7 days ago

BTTF is unavailable. Said it twice already. Now the third time. They told us to stop asking and we are forbidden from going to MJF or CL. Sort of in same situation as BTLC and HP.

—Robert

#91 7 days ago
    Quoted from deeproot:

BTTF is unavailable. Said it twice already. Now the third time

Robert, care to explain why the licensee is willing to work with one medium (pinballFX) for virtual pinball, but not real pinball? Is it a moment in time (they were willing to do that project then but now)? PinballFX has a bigger audience?

Quoted from deeproot:

same situation as BTLC

Wow, who would have thought the licensee for big trouble in little china wouldn't want a pinball machine.. Though it is a john carpenter movie. Guess this means no "they live" or "christine" pinball either.

#92 7 days ago
    Quoted from deeproot:

BTTF is unavailable. Said it twice already. Now the third time. They told us to stop asking and we are forbidden from going to MJF or CL. Sort of in same situation as BTLC and HP.
    —Robert

Robert exactly what we had stated previously. Gary said it's done and people need to move on. Gary's words in his office in our meeting ..
    Cheers

#93 7 days ago
    Quoted from deeproot:

—Robert

Didnt you also say we would have already had the 5 days of deep root? Nothing is forever. People change jobs, get fired, die or offered enough money to change thier minds. Companies get bought out and licenses change hands. Sure, Disney might own Stern and and half of the world by then but let a man dream.

#94 7 days ago

If Disney owns Stern we will get 4 Bttf pinball machines. One for each movie plus the terrible remake they will make where Doc is a brilliant young woman and Marty's love interest. Sigh

#95 7 days ago

I still say if any license could pull off 3 pins this one could. Collectors will not be able to resist putting 3 side by side no matter what people say about 2 and 3. Great cash grab for some smart company.

#96 7 days ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Only if Lyman is on the code. Would rather have JJP make it. Either way I think a new BTTF pin would sell far better then Munsters, Elvira 3, and Jaws.

This is the correct answer, with Elwin on design. If it's Dwight then...

#97 7 days ago

This is what's wrong with making posts like this. The theme means very little. Look at Dialed In. The theme is meh but the game is great for so many other reasons. From a Stern perspective, Big Buck Hunter should be terrible but it's a fantastic game, despite the theme.

It sounds like you are begging for Stern to make a game just for you. Just don't be mad if it's a GOTG or WWE "do over". (Most likely candidates to redesign using a different theme.)

If your dream game gets made and you buy it and love it, that's great. Just don't assume that it will be a "great game" because it has BTTF plastered all over it. We all know what happened the first time Gary Stern made a BTTF pin.
    Screen Shot 2019-06-12 at 9.17.20 AM (resized).png

If you are an op just looking for a theme people will dump quarters into, then it would likely work out perfectly.

#98 7 days ago
    Quoted from Hazoff:

Why? JJP would kill the speed and flow and it would become a loaded mess.

Hazoff the 14 downvotes you got are probably the 14 people who voted in the poll "I'm just here to trash Stern games"

#99 7 days ago
    Quoted from JY64:

Hazoff the 14 downvotes you got are probably the 14 people who voted in the poll "I'm just here to trash Stern games"

Theres a lot of pinball owners that justify today's crazy high prices by the quantity, quality, and coding of mechanical features put into a game. That's what I'm personally paying $8k -$10k for in a pinball machine, not orbits and a couple plastic ramps.

Super fast gameplay is great but it comes at the sacrifice of mechanical features. A Mustang GT is considered a fast car but would you pay $100k for one? No. At $100k more features would need to be added to justify the price. Same goes with pinball machines in my opinion which is why myself and other continue to buy JJP pins.

#100 7 days ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Theres a lot of pinball owners that justify today's crazy high prices by the quantity, quality, and coding of mechanical features put into a game. That's what I'm personally paying $8k -$10k for in a pinball machine, not orbits and a couple plastic ramps.
    Super fast gameplay is great but it comes at the sacrifice of mechanical features. A Mustang GT is considered a fast car but would you pay $100k for one? No. At $100k more features would need to be added to justify the price. Same goes with pinball machines in my opinion which is why myself and other continue to buy JJP pins.

LOL OMG What a shock Panzer thumbs down me for the "I'm just here to trash Stern games" comment to easy to predict funny stuff

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 96.77
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Pinball-Mods.com
    $ 129.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 49.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Electronics
    Third Coast Pinball
    $ 2.00
    Various Other Swag
    Project Pinball Charity
    $ 219.99
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    $ 89.99
    Lighting - Led
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 125.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    pinballmod
    $ 142.00
    Boards
    nvram.weebly.com
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 49.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    pinballmod
    $ 14.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    € 25.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    YOYOKOPTER MODS
    £ 75.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    PinballToys
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 87.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    Pinball Machine
    Music City Pinball
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 60.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Docquest Pinball Mods
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 41.00
    $ 48.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 76.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 159.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    There are 100 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside