(Topic ID: 112057)

ATTN: SELLERS --- please use packing caution when shipping USPS Priority Mail!

By Blitzburgh99

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

There are 60 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 9 years ago

I have ordered two items for pinball in the past few weeks. Both came to me damaged and unrepairable (translite in a triangle USPS Priority Mail tube and flyers (rare!) in rectangular USPS Priority Mail box).

USPS just doesnt have their act together….and when shipping rare parts in very limited remaining supplies, please use boxes that are studier than the free USPS Priority Mail containers. It helps preserve the community.

#2 9 years ago

The shipper should have never used that triangle box for translites.

I used pvc pipe for them.

Stuff needs to be packaged properly so it's shipper proof. No matter who you use.

LTG : )™

#3 9 years ago

...and packing things shipper proof is getting harder and harder as the shippers are turning up the gain on their ability to break things. Sad situation.
    --
    Chris Hibler - CARGPB #31
    http://www.Team-EM.com
    http://webpages.charter.net/chibler/Pinball/index.htm
    http://www.PinWiki.com - The new place for pinball repair info

#4 9 years ago
    Quoted from ChrisHibler:

...and packing things shipper proof is getting harder and harder as the shippers are turning up the gain on their ability to break things. Sad situation.
    --
    http://www.PinWiki.com - The new place for pinball repair info

Lloyd is right. Sellers: cut the crap! Pack it better!

There . Fixed.

#5 9 years ago

Priority Mail is the way to go. Love it. Sorry, but I have never had a problem either shipping or receiving in what seems like a million packages.

#6 9 years ago

Used USPS to Australia on multiple occasions and not had a problem.

#7 9 years ago
    Quoted from John_I:

Priority Mail is the way to go. Love it. Sorry, but I have never had a problem either shipping or receiving in what seems like a million packages.

Apology accepted. Just don't ever let it happen again.

#8 9 years ago

Yeah poor packaging is the shippers problem.

I ship 5-10 packages a day with USPS and only hear of 1 or 2 items a year not arriving intact and most of the items I ship are delicate.

#9 9 years ago

Insurance is always available.

#10 9 years ago

It really sucks when rare/irreplaceable stuff gets lost or damaged, but other than packing the hell out of it and enclosing a GPS satellite tracker you never know what's going to happen. I imagine in the grand scheme of things it happens less often than it appears, but it still sucks.

Just today I get home and happen to notice two small packages left on my porch that I wasn't expecting. Turns out Fed Ex delivered a neighbor's packages to me - they live about 8 houses away. I'm sure their tracking says it was delivered and left next to the front door, which is sort of true I guess.

Luckily I'm honest and will pretend to be a Fed Ex driver and deliver them tomorrow.

#11 9 years ago
    Quoted from Blitzburgh99:

I have ordered two items for pinball in the past few weeks. Both came to me damaged and unrepairable (translite in a triangle USPS Priority Mail tube and flyers (rare!) in rectangular USPS Priority Mail box).
    USPS just doesnt have their act together….and when shipping rare parts in very limited remaining supplies, please use boxes that are studier than the free USPS Priority Mail containers. It helps preserve the community.

If shipped properly things will be fine. Like LTG said, it really doesn't matter who is used for shipping, they all mangle stuff to get things sent as fast as possible.

Plus, priority has $50 insurance built in

#12 9 years ago

The USPS has been dropping the ball by me lately as well. Nothing broken, amazingly, since that packages have looked really beat up. In the past month I have had a package from amazon lost, still waiting on a package from Bay Area Amusements with an expected delivery of 12/6, and still waiting on a package from pinballlife.com with an expected delivery date of 12/8. Two other packages I waited an extra week to arrive. Absolutely ridiculous.

#13 9 years ago

Nonsense. I use USPS Priority Mail for everything. I've sent a lot of packages. Very few instances of having to replace damaged products. I'll keep using them.

#14 9 years ago

I would not expect perfect service around the holidays, who would????

Pack your boxes for WWIII and give an extra few days because it is the busiest season.

#15 9 years ago

Best to tell the sellers you are buying from when you order either via shipping choice or by direct contact. Posting a statement here is like pissing in the wind or your pants; You get a warm feeling for a few seconds and then you're cold and have stained pants.

#16 9 years ago

Maybe stop buying from people who walk unprepared into the lobby of their local post office and grab the first free priority box they can get their hands on. When I sell and ship something, I take it upon myself to package things properly.
    That way, the person I'm sending it to doesn't have to blame the shipper for my negligence.

#17 9 years ago

I say avoid USPS like the plague. They fill up the mailbox with spam every day but when a package comes that I really want, wow, i have to drive to the post office to pick it up. #FAIL

#18 9 years ago

It always amazes me to see what the USPS will attempt to stuff into our mailbox, damaging the box in the process.

And anytime a company puts "Do Not Bend" on the envelope or package, I think they read it as, "Not only bend this, see if you can fold a crease in it!" I have a reasonably sized mailbox, and the guy would still fold (with a crease) my Spiderman comics that included a piece of cardboard (and the "Do Not Bend" label).

If it's important, I always double box the item, put strong enough cardboard in the envelope that keeps it from being bent, etc.

#19 9 years ago

Priority Mail is shit.I ordered a heating element for my dryer 9 days ago and I still haven't got it.Tracking still shows it in PA for a week.USPS sucks balls!

#20 9 years ago

don't use their priority boxes, too thin. get FREE thick boxes at stores when they are stocking shelves.

#21 9 years ago

I prefer shipping and receiving items through priority mail. It seems to be the quickest method of shipping for the least amount of buck. Sounds like better packing might be in order.

#22 9 years ago

insurance insurance insurance!!!

#23 9 years ago
    Quoted from John_I:

true story.

Also there should be insurance on it.... At least I put it on all the stuff I ship. I ship usps now.

#24 9 years ago

I've been lucky. Everyone from whom I've received packages has packet them well, so even in cases when the box was damaged or punctured, the item still arrived intact because of good packing practices.

Whenever I send stuff, I wrap the item in padding (bubble wrap or brown paper), and then try to pack it with at least one layer of padding on all sides, though usually two to be on the safe side. Then also make sure there is enough padding so that the item can't shift around in the box. Lastly, make sure there is enough padding so that if the top or bottom of the box is squished, that it doesn't collapse and stays reasonably firm. If the sides/top/bottom can cave in, the box's integrity is gone and it is pretty much worthless and won't protect anything.

Also, 'tis the season for packages to be left out in the snow and freezing rain, so protecting the item from water that might seep into the box isn't a bad idea either.

#25 9 years ago

I agree with most everyone else here. It's not Priority Mail that is to blame, but the way it was packaged. When you ship packages you need to realize that a portion of them will get banged around to varying degrees no matter which carrier you use. Occasionally you may have a rough streak with USPS, UPS or Fedex in certain zip codes. But certainly not a nation-wide issue with one particular carrier using one particular mail class.

#26 9 years ago

Usps is a great service had stuff sent here to new zealand not a problem alot faster than the local post and more reasonable pricing.

#27 9 years ago

ok seriously I learned years ago to ask up front if they ship much? be polite but sometimes a new seller needs a little coaching to understand how to box things up...if they get weird or upset your asking about it up front you know to bail out then....most sellers go oh yea no worries I know how to pack things properly.

insurance is a joke, makes you feel good and lets the buyer feel good the day it shipped, good luck prying a dollar out of any of the shippers when you need to make a claim.

peace, B.

#28 9 years ago

I get what the OP is saying, but it is very important to support the USPS. Are they perfect? heck no! But they aren't any worse than FedEx or UPS. I worked for UPS, I know, trust me. Sellers just need to make sure that they package up an item properly.

A good rule of thumb for all of us is to make sure we ask a seller to package items up well enough to handle the beaten they are going to take.

#29 9 years ago

Ups and Fed ex are not much better as i have gotten packages with boot footprints on some of the boxes from them too. Depends on the employee whether they care or not about your stuff being shipped,plus with the hurry up and get it done attitude today why should they care it isn't theirs.

As others noted pack your stuff to survive running the gauntlet.

#30 9 years ago

USPS is best for small packages hands down.
    UPS, the worst. FedEx is ok.

#31 9 years ago

Figuring that you're essentially paying a guy $10 to lug a box across country, pack the shit out of it accordingly, be sure it's insured, and cross your fingers.

#32 9 years ago

It is up to the shipper to pack it better. It is insured for $50 from the start if it is priority.

#33 9 years ago

The benefits of USPS for me far outweigh UPS and FedEx, and it's not because of how they handle packages. Everyone's had good and bad experiences with all of them, just like cell phone companies and TV service providers. In the past week I've had complaints about the USPS taking too long on a Priority package, a package going to the wrong state, and currently one package that got delivered to the PO 10 days ago and never delivered. Those are unusual and trumped by the other hundreds delivered perfectly fine and for cheap. $1.93 all over the country even Hawaii and Puerto Rico for a 3 ounce package with tracking? And near anything I send that's under a pound can do anywhere WITH insurance for less than $6.00. Add to this free supplies, daily pickup (free, not free with UPS and FedEx). Packing is key, as are proper boxes.

#34 9 years ago

I will not mention any names but I purchased a mod for one of my pins and the shipper stuffed it into a priority envelope. Just because its fits does not make it right. And my mod got dented. the blame was on the shipper. He sent a replacement and used the box that I made for it. And my box with foam was cheaper then priority mail envelope.

#35 9 years ago

Their all horrible.....rather some of their employees are horrible. Just do a youtube search for (****) throwing packages. (Fill in the blank with any shipper name). I've had good results with Canada post and DHL here, but I've received pretty banged up stuff from before.

Some carriers will make 2-3 attempts to drop packages, some require you to pick it up from their depot that night, or they'll send it back. Sometimes stuff will be left on my front porch, sometimes it will be left as my side door behind a fence.

It really gets back to the employees and the lack of accountability.

#36 9 years ago

Marco has packaged backglass edge trim directly into the USPS priority triangle boxes and I've had both packages damaged. The first package could not be salvaged and had to reorder. USPS did pay my claim on that. The replacement order came damaged as well; but not bad enough they couldn't still be used.

In all honesty Marco should have packaged them better. Having two damaged USPS priority packages seems odd. The first was literally bent in half, the second was similar but not enough to kink the plastic trim.

#37 9 years ago
    Quoted from njgsx96:

The USPS has been dropping the ball by me lately as well. Nothing broken, amazingly, since that packages have looked really beat up. In the past month I have had a package from amazon lost, still waiting on a package from Bay Area Amusements with an expected delivery of 12/6, and still waiting on a package from pinballlife.com with an expected delivery date of 12/8. Two other packages I waited an extra week to arrive. Absolutely ridiculous.

My anecdotal observation is this: If you are in an area that has good service, you will have good results coming and going. If you are in an area that has bad service, you will have bad service coming and going.

I really think it is really about what location you are in.

#38 9 years ago

Both came to me damaged and unrepairable

Don't shoot the messenger

#39 9 years ago

Shipping is great

The last couple of parcelsthat have bbeen sent by xxxx have had an automated label attached, when they get to Australia, the local company prints and attatches its own shipping label, somehow though the address remains the same but the postcode gets screwd up, my parcel then gets deliveredto another town and sits in that depot for a week until it gets sorted out

#40 9 years ago

The triangular "tubes" from USPS are terrible. The bend/dent too easily. I started to curse a lot when I saw that BAA sent my Indy cabinet art in one of those, then saw that they put the art in a real poster tube inside that USPS box, which is a much better idea.

#41 9 years ago

It's just easier to write on those triangle thingys....I always put another tube in there...

#42 9 years ago

I ship translites and similar items inside a piece of PVC pipe inside a triangular mailer.

#43 9 years ago

I've had almost ZERO issues with any of the major shippers. Again, pack it right and it will be fine. I use USPS the most because it's by far the most convenient for me.

#44 9 years ago

USPS delivers to my house every day, period. UPS sometimes will have the package on the truck for days before the driver can be bothered to stop by my house. When I UPS track the package the driver will note "no such address" and he drove within 50ft of my house and delivered to the door days before. I know they are on tight schedules with LOTS of deliveries but UPS & FEDEX suck for deliveries to my house.

#45 9 years ago

Like all of us...we've had good experiences and bad experiences with each shipping option.
    I ask eBay sellers to please pack the item carefully. Once they pay attention to that, inattention by any shipper can be defeated.

I do like the USPS click-n-ship, and use it all the time.

I wish I could find an old "Yellow Freight Lines" training video. It had a bunch of people around a board room table discussing how they could improve customer satisfaction. They eventually arrived at "don't break their stuff". It's hilarious. Wish I could find it, but I think it was YF internal.
    --
    http://www.PinWiki.com - The Place to go for Pinball Repair Info

#46 9 years ago

USPS in my area is not very good. I get other people's mail in my mailbox at least once a week. I wonder how many people get my mail. Magazine arrive all chewed up. My wife had a magazine this week packed in a large envelope with a stamp apologizing for damage. At first I figured my local people messed up my two pinball shipments.

Then, I noticed on the triangular Priority Box that was smashed, it has a sticker on it saying that it was damaged at the Memphis Sort Facility. So, the issues are more widespread than just local.

I agree with other posters that:
    1) the person needs to do the best possible job to protect items, and protect them according to their fragility, and
    2) the free Priority boxes available at the post office are flimsy as all get out. Just because USPS provides free boxes and are usually more economical on shipping rates, its not worth ruining hard to find and rare items. Who cares if its insured for $50 if it took a guy a year to find the part?

Just wanting others to be aware of my losses so they can be proactive and make sure things wouldnt happen to them. If shipping UPS or FedEX is more, but has higher chance of arriving in tact, I would be willing to pay a few extra bucks for that.

#47 9 years ago

OP ... sorry; but Are you willing to PAY for shipping other means?
    USPS is reasonably price ... most everyone wants the item as cheap as possible and shipped for free. USPS is the best possible cost effective shipper.

#48 9 years ago

Obviously op missed the viral video of the fedex guy throwing a package over a fence.

#49 9 years ago

***a note on USPS conveniences noted by posts above, i.e. they deliver daily...click n ship....free boxes, etc

It is much more inconvenient to take photos of damage, emails back and forth with original seller, file claim with USPS, wait for replacements to arrive, wait for refunds or insurance payments, and other hassles to correct the situation.

To quote a famous Seinfeld episode..."Serenity now...Insanity later!!!" HAHA!!

#50 9 years ago
    Quoted from Zitt:

OP ... sorry; but Are you willing to PAY for shipping other means?USPS is reasonably price ... most everyone wants the item as cheap as possible and shipped for free. USPS is the best possible cost effective shipper.

after the past two week....HELL YES!

There are 60 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/attn-sellers-please-stop-using-usps-priority-mail and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.