Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

fast-pwr-0001-3.jpg
IMG_1044 (resized).JPG
20160929_074431 (resized).jpg
20161007_141854 (resized).jpg
20161007_142002 (resized).jpg
#1 7 years ago

I have had my gb on location since june. Last month I got and update failure on my node board n8. After about 3 weeks of getting parts to fix the issue she was up and running. I left it on in my shop over night and played a few games all seemed good. So it went back out on location. 3 days later I get a call that it was down again with the same issuse. So it's back in my shop. Called stern today and talk to them about it they said to check the flasher board by the left scoop. Apparently they are having problems with the led board grounding out on the rail for the left orbit and the 48v from the divert coil will back feed to the flasher and knockout everything . So I took the plastic off and sure enough the wire that runs the plus 5v was pinched and had wore though the insalation causing it to ground out. Just thought I would give a heads up to owners because if it's not under warranty it would be a very pricy fix. Here are some pics of what mine looked like. And a pic of what boards it will take out should it fail.

20161007_142002 (resized).jpg20161007_142002 (resized).jpg
20161007_141854 (resized).jpg20161007_141854 (resized).jpg
20160929_074431 (resized).jpg20160929_074431 (resized).jpg

#2 7 years ago

Thanks for the heads up

#3 7 years ago

do you think this is an early production error? i see a very small pinch. was that againt the back of the scoop or something else? what would you recommend to do to prevent that issue?

#4 7 years ago

Move wire if possible.

#5 7 years ago

Thank you mario-1-up,this kind of sh-t from Stern, is wearing thin!!

#6 7 years ago
Quoted from hawkmoon:

Thank you mario-1-up,this kind of sh-t from Stern, is wearing thin!!

A pinched wire that shorts out overtime is something that could be missed by any pinball manufacturer. What pisses me off is that it takes out a $300 board which should have been fused or designed better. Minimum Stern should be doing is releasing a service bulletin if it is a known issue so that others can correct before it is too late.

#7 7 years ago
Quoted from Aquapin:

What pisses me off is that it takes out a $300 board which should have been fused or designed better.

The key word here is "fused".

The SPIKE system is a good design that is not the source of the problem.
This identified problem is not "new" it has been a problem for ALL SPIKE games.

For new pinball owners not aware, proper extended fundamental fuse protection feature was removed from Stern SPIKE machines in the "forward match of progress" to further reduce production costs.
Simply put, you are, "paying more for less."

Short circuits can take out the entire primary board dependent on section effected.

Operators can make and install an auxiliary fuse board made with electronic parts / bread board in their own shop for protection, but this should have provided in core system design.

This was not problem on SAM and Whitestar systems.

#8 7 years ago

A little update. I switched my node 8 and 9 around and it didn't take out all the associated boards that connects to this time.

#9 7 years ago

I think it's an assembly error. I checked mine and the wire is free and clear.

IMG_1044 (resized).JPGIMG_1044 (resized).JPG

#10 7 years ago

For SPIKE owners, here is a nifty little fuse block PCB that has been around for awhile that can really help protect your games from shorts.
It is produced from FAST Pinball LLC in Gig Harbor, WA.

fast-pwr-0001-3.jpgfast-pwr-0001-3.jpg

#11 7 years ago

that fast fuse board is $24 at https://squareup.com/market/fast-pinball-llc/
that seems expensive for what it is. there is zero documentation about it too. I'm not sure where it plugs in and what it fuses? or maybe that's the point, you can use it for anything? Not sure, would be nice if there was some idea where it would go on Ghostbusters and what it fuses...

#12 7 years ago

A nifty little install Video or slide show from someone who has installed one of these would be awesome....

#13 7 years ago
Quoted from cfh:

that fast fuse board is $24 at https://squareup.com/market/fast-pinball-llc/
that seems expensive for what it is. there is zero documentation about it too. I'm not sure where it plugs in and what it fuses? or maybe that's the point, you can use it for anything? Not sure, would be nice if there was some idea where it would go on Ghostbusters and what it fuses...

Yes, you can use It for anything, Clay.
The board was not specifically made for SPIKE systems.
It was original developed to protect the FAST system core boards.
It is just a general multi-inline fuse protection board (but includes no diode directional control), similar to some early GTB boards used over the years.
I only offered this to alternative making your own for less inclined "to doers" with a green finished breadboard or multiple inline fuses like you and I probably do when needed.

The application is dependent on the choice of the user, as every type of pinball machine (title and manufacturer) has its own type of "Achilles Heels", high voltage power designs, or specific solenoid coils that can be problematic due to extended use.
The high power nodes on SPIKE systems when they open to drive coils could use this board for protection against power feedback of shorts into the main board.

A direct example would be the magnet assemblies on MET (SAM system in this case) run through a separate driver board and then into the main MPU/High voltage board. This board can prevent additional damge if the magnet board shorts taking out associated transistors from damaging the main MPU/power board as the fuses will go first before it hits the main line.

I just liked the clean board design over use of inline fuses in this case.

Just extra "bulletproofing".

Possibilities are endless, whomever just has to understand the electronic board set designs of the game they are applying and see the potential pitfalls of the manufacturer design for best application.

Individual application is beyond the scope of this post, and yes a video would easier to explain for everyone, but I don't know if they reviewed anything online.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 63.99
Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

$ 103.00
7,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Middletown, NY
7,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Shorewood, WI
6,600 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Palm Desert, CA
$ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 12.99
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 29.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 55.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 969.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Mödley Crüe

$ 19.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 25.00
Playfield - Protection
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/attn-ghost-busters-owner and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.