17415491-F1CF-42AD-9426-862F460BC27A (resized).jpeg
05972161-8ADF-48D1-BDA8-3286F29DFA31 (resized).jpeg
F989D4CC-D92A-48E4-B438-C77CE18B7735 (resized).jpeg
588FEA08-3C37-412B-B0FD-BA7C5CD013A4 (resized).jpeg
6F226155-4D31-4EE5-9E8A-4AFF2F7DFD83 (resized).jpeg
FBF66024-A007-46B5-843A-EA2DF66D47AA (resized).jpeg
0DF0849E-D599-45E4-8B9D-4249281D2A7E (resized).jpeg
06A2B363-9895-4FC7-9A2D-34BB819EC441 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider djreddog.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2 7 years ago

In the interim, maybe this will help.

"With zero fanfare, the Internet Archive uploaded a new collection of software last week from the Amiga, a mid-80s personal computer famous for its impressive-for-the-time game graphics. The new collection is no tidy sum, either, with over 10,000 games, applications and demos. Whether this is the first time these items have shown up on the archive is uncertain, but should you want to relive a golden age of personal computer gaming, head over and play them straight from your browser."

#21 7 years ago

I owned a 500, a 2500, and a 600, all in the early 90s when I was around 16-18 years old. I was big on the TV Sports series of games, as well as Shadow of the Beast and Speedball 2.

2 years later
#248 4 years ago
Quoted from j_m_:

is anyone interested in an amiga 500 & 1084 monitor? I purchased it last year off of ebay and never got around to setting it up. I will verify that all is working but I really don't have the space for it. everything is really nice shape

Interested. PM sent.

5 months later
1 month later
#250 4 years ago

Any Winuae users in here? With this down time, I’m ready to tackle this project. Looking for any recommendations and a little guidance.

End goal - to eventually pick up a working A500/600.

#252 4 years ago
Quoted from emkay:

I haven't used UAE in ages but if you need help, I'd be happy to try. As far as a working machine, I should still have my A1000 in storage - original box and all. I'm pretty sure I sold the RAM sidecar and don't have any disks any more, but if you want it I'll try to dig it up and bring it along to the next Delaware event.

I'll let you know how I make out! As for the A1000, I may be interested in that. I only ever owned a 500 and a 600, and I don't recall the differences. Let's chat about it once this damn COVID passes over!

9 months later
#274 3 years ago

Bought a Shield Pro late last year to run Plex and replace my old Android box that was running Kodi. In doing so I stumbled across a thread that allows you to emulate Amiga games on the Shield Pro. I believe there are multiple ways to accomplish, but I continued to dig and found a super easy way to accomplish this. RetroX. Simply install it and it handles all of the magic. All you have to do is drop your ROMS into a folder and it handles the rest.

Enjoying some good ol Shadow of the Beast and Grand Monster Slam currently. Can’t wait to play some TV Sports football and Speedball 2 among all the other great Amiga games out there!

Check it out!

https://www.retrox.tv/

1 week later
#287 3 years ago
Quoted from Pinball_Postal:

I never had an Amiga, but still have a Commodore 128, 64 and SX64. I haven't tried to power one on in ages. I ran a Commodore BBS in the middle 80's and it was a blast. The BBS had a screaming 10 meg hard drive, literally it made a lot of noise, and cost more than the computer, monitor, and floppy disk drives combined. Anyone still remember BBS's ?

My first computer was in 1985, I bought a used Atari 800 that came with 20-30 cartridge games and had an external floppy disk drive. That computer introduced me to the world of BBS's and "warez". I amassed a giant collection of Atari 800 games. Here is a classic review of the Atari 800:

"Kilobaud Microcomputing wrote in September 1980 that the Atari 800 "looks deceptively like a video game machine, [but had] the strongest and tightest chassis I have seen since Raquel Welch."

As for BBS games, played a ton of Trade Wars, Space Empire, and Pimp Wars.

Then in 1989 when I was 15 years old, I had my uncle take me to the bank and I withdrew $600 out of my savings account (only had a balance of like $750) and had him take me to the mall where I bought an Amiga 500 from Electronics Boutique. The money I had saved up was to be used towards my first car. My mom was beyond PISSED! Again, I used my Amiga to connect to Warez BBS's mostly and traded warez 24/7. I swear I had every Amiga game ever made at one point. In 1990 my computer buddy launched Arkham Assylum BBS and I was a co-sysop. We dabbled in making red/blue boxes but didn't have much success. However my computer buddy's dad worked for DuPont at the time and his Dad used to work from home at times routing cargo across the US by dialing into a mainframe at the DuPont HQ, and then from there dialing out HQ into the different cities to route cargo. Well somehow my computer figured out access to that connection and it allowed us to connect "locally" into the DuPont HQ's mainframe and the dial long distance for free and connect to any BBS in the world, all at the expense of DuPont. The only sucky part about it was that our transfer speeds were downgraded from 14.4 down to 2400. Fun times back then! LOTS of weekends where I got barely any sleep.

#291 3 years ago
Quoted from emkay:

Same here, although blue boxing was dead by then. I used to wake up every morning and hack 20-30 LD codes, use about half and share the rest. Post them in hacked PBX mailboxes... now I work for the phone company and spent ten years programming PBXes.

I absolutely remember Arkham Asylum. Made plenty of red boxes too, using programmable dialers from Radio Shack and replacing the DTMF crystal with ones from Digikey. I'd paint the crystal with red paint so my customers couldn't read the frequency and make their own... used to get about $300 a piece for them from the local Ivy League college kids. Not bad for <$30 in materials!
The person who taught me how to make them is a Pinsider now too, 30 years later. Life is funny.

Fun fact, one of my reports in college was on Captain Crunch, aka John Draper. People were blown away when I had to do a 5 minute presentation about my report.

#301 3 years ago

This is good stuff. Most activity ever in this thread. Let’s keep this thing at the top!!!

Anyone else use RetroX?

#304 3 years ago

About a year or so after I owned my Amiga I remember spending like $150 to upgrade to 1MB RAM. Holy cow what an improvement back then.

Also, my computer buddy eventually moved away to work for AT&T HQ in Reston, VA. I would visit him like twice a year and I would have a field day going to the Fair Oaks Mall because all we had around here was EB. Fair Oaks had Software Etc and that had an entire wall of Amiga software and hardware. I bought an 8-bit audio board from them one year and it was so bad ass.
3CB73F4A-23AA-4836-ACA0-E834A8BB3A63 (resized).jpeg3CB73F4A-23AA-4836-ACA0-E834A8BB3A63 (resized).jpeg4AB0EAE7-28BF-4523-8FAF-52846A94F276 (resized).jpeg4AB0EAE7-28BF-4523-8FAF-52846A94F276 (resized).jpeg

#306 3 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

I love mall photos. Totally remember Electronics boutique and software etc. One of my friend's who was a mac user kept buying software from Babbages, copying it then returning it. The one time I went with him was his 3rd return, and the guy at the register put him on a ban list to never be able to buy anything again.

Ahh yes, I did that a few times as well when I couldn't locate a game I wanted on a warez site. X-Copy was my go to program.

#308 3 years ago

Something wonderful has happened Your AMIGA is alive !!! and, even better...

Some of your disks are infected by a VIRUS !!! Another masterpiece of The Mega-Mighty SCA !!

sca-virus (resized).pngsca-virus (resized).png
2 years later
#323 3 months ago

Totally forgot about this thread! Anyone here grab the A500 mini? I did and I have been having a blast with it.

Not long after I received it, the great people over at Pandory released a hack for it.

The Pandory Mod is "sideloaded" firmware for the A500 mini which gives you full access to the machine and allows you to run native programs that enable many new game emulators, such as RetroArch. It comes in the form of a WHDLOAD package and exploits a hidden-feature of the A500 amiberry emulator to run native code. It runs completely from USB stick and is 100% removable.

WHAT DOES PANDORY DO?

Pandory enables:

A new native RetroArch menu, with OpenGL video-driver support, allowing many new emulators alongside Amiga, including:
Megadrive
SNES
Playstation 1
32X
Amiga PUAE
RetroArch has been configured with ADF and IPF support.
Commodore 64
Atari ST
PC-Engine / TurboGrafx
MS-DOS
Game Boy
Game Boy Color
Game Boy Advance
Game Gear
MasterSystem
Quake/DOOM ports
ScummVM (RetroArch version)
.. and many more ..
Full root access to your device via Linux Terminal
NATIVE ScummVM Emulator - For point and click adventure games
NATIVE OpenBOR Emulator 3.0 - r7142 - For fan-made beat-em-ups
NATIVE PPSSPP 1.31.1 - Playstation Portable Emulator
NATIVE DOSBox Staging 0.79 (git master) - IBM PC / MS-DOS Emulator
NATIVE OpenCubic Music Player 0.299 (plays MP3/MOD/XM and many more)
NATIVE Video Player - with joypad support (mpv)
Virtual cores to allow retroarch to start the native emulators
Almost ALL settings are configurable in the Pandory/.user folder of the USB stick
Allows switching between the normal A500 menu / Pandory Menu
Thousands of thumbnails for many different games
Allows configuration and mapping of controllers not usually supported by the A500 mini -> pandory bypasses SDL2-input and uses Linux-UDEV directly.
Random background menu music.
Automatic 50hz/60hz menu switching.
A selection of free homebrew-games to test before you add your own games.
Flexible aspect ratio configuration options

IMG_1175 (resized).jpegIMG_1175 (resized).jpegIMG_1176 (resized).jpegIMG_1176 (resized).jpegIMG_1177 (resized).jpegIMG_1177 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider djreddog.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/attn-amiga-500-owners?tu=djreddog and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.