17415491-F1CF-42AD-9426-862F460BC27A (resized).jpeg
05972161-8ADF-48D1-BDA8-3286F29DFA31 (resized).jpeg
F989D4CC-D92A-48E4-B438-C77CE18B7735 (resized).jpeg
588FEA08-3C37-412B-B0FD-BA7C5CD013A4 (resized).jpeg
6F226155-4D31-4EE5-9E8A-4AFF2F7DFD83 (resized).jpeg
FBF66024-A007-46B5-843A-EA2DF66D47AA (resized).jpeg
0DF0849E-D599-45E4-8B9D-4249281D2A7E (resized).jpeg
06A2B363-9895-4FC7-9A2D-34BB819EC441 (resized).jpeg
There are 323 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 7.
#251 4 years ago
Quoted from djreddog:

Any Winuae users in here? With this down time, I’m ready to tackle this project. Looking for any recommendations and a little guidance.
End goal - to eventually pick up a working A500/600.

I haven't used UAE in ages but if you need help, I'd be happy to try. As far as a working machine, I should still have my A1000 in storage - original box and all. I'm pretty sure I sold the RAM sidecar and don't have any disks any more, but if you want it I'll try to dig it up and bring it along to the next Delaware event.

#252 4 years ago
Quoted from emkay:

I haven't used UAE in ages but if you need help, I'd be happy to try. As far as a working machine, I should still have my A1000 in storage - original box and all. I'm pretty sure I sold the RAM sidecar and don't have any disks any more, but if you want it I'll try to dig it up and bring it along to the next Delaware event.

I'll let you know how I make out! As for the A1000, I may be interested in that. I only ever owned a 500 and a 600, and I don't recall the differences. Let's chat about it once this damn COVID passes over!

#253 4 years ago

In memory of the most beautiful time of my life - my childhood - I converted an old C-64 with Raspberry 3 to a C-64 and Amiga emulator last summer.
It runs several thousand games of both systems, combined with original Competition Pro joysticks and an HDMI connector.
Every now and then we have a 80s party and then we play until our hands hurt, but it's always a lot of fun for everyone involved.

DSCN6741 (resized).JPGDSCN6741 (resized).JPG

DSCN6953 (resized).JPGDSCN6953 (resized).JPG

DSCN7009 (resized).JPGDSCN7009 (resized).JPG

DSCN7012 (resized).JPGDSCN7012 (resized).JPG

DSCN7013 (resized).JPGDSCN7013 (resized).JPG

IMG_8440 (resized).JPGIMG_8440 (resized).JPG

IMG_8443 (resized).JPGIMG_8443 (resized).JPG

4 months later
#254 3 years ago

For those that remember battle chess, they've recreated it with modern graphics
https://store.steampowered.com/app/200150/Battle_Chess_Game_of_Kings/

#255 3 years ago

I love the fact that there are appear to be multiple animations for the same pairings when capturing a piece

#256 3 years ago

If anyone is interested in cycle accurate hardware emulation, checkout MiSTer. It uses the Intel DE-10 Nano FPGA board.
https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_MiSTer/wiki.

It has the following Commodore cores: Amiga, C-64, Vic-20, C-16 Plus/4 and PET.

Plus Atari 800, Atari ST/STe, TI 99/4A, Apple II, Mac to name a few

Also does Arcade and Consoles: Atari 2600/5200, ColecoVision, GameBoy, Genesis, NeoGeo, NES, SNES and many more

Lots of fun.

MiSTer (resized).jpgMiSTer (resized).jpg
#257 3 years ago
Quoted from dmilo:

If anyone is interested in cycle accurate hardware emulation, checkout MiSTer. It uses the Intel DE-10 Nano FPGA board.
Also does Arcade and Consoles: Atari 2600/5200, ColecoVision, GameBoy, Genesis, NeoGeo, NES, SNES and many more
Lots of fun.
[quoted image]

Where is the hardware available to buy?

#258 3 years ago
Quoted from Pinballer73:

Where is the hardware available to buy?

Amazon still seems to have it. https://www.amazon.com/Terasic-Technologies-P0496-DE10-Nano-Kit/dp/B07B89YHSB/ref=sr_1_4

You will need at least 32MB SDRam (128MB for NEO GEO) ebay.com link: sch

Optionally, if you want to use VGA a connection and analog sound, you will need an IO board, otherwise hdmi is built in https://misteraddons.com/products/io-board-v6-1-with-heatsink

#259 3 years ago
Quoted from dmilo:

Lots of fun.
[quoted image]

I've done a bunch of projects with raspberry pi devices (hasn't everyone?) and one day will move onto MiSTer however when I very briefly looked at it it seemed like acquiring the hardware wasn't entirely straightforward and required a bit of sourcing from various vendors. I also think a MiSTer project can cost several hundred dollars easily versus a $35 pi.

I realize that FPGA versus emulation makes it worth the extra money and effort... but just never returned to my research to start the project.

#260 3 years ago
Quoted from brainmegaphone:

I've done a bunch of projects with raspberry pi devices (hasn't everyone?) and one day will move onto MiSTer however when I very briefly looked at it it seemed like acquiring the hardware wasn't entirely straightforward and required a bit of sourcing from various vendors. I also think a MiSTer project can cost several hundred dollars easily versus a $35 pi.
I realize that FPGA versus emulation makes it worth the extra money and effort... but just never returned to my research to start the project.

Yes it does cost more, $150 (FPGA) + $20 (32MB) + $60 (IO Board) = ~$230

I plugged mine into a Commodore 64 keyboard (with a C64 to USB adapter) to give it a more retro feel. I have a basement full of real vintage computers, but I haven't used them in a while since I got my MiSTer setup. It's not for everybody, but it's a fun distraction.

MiSTer64 (resized).jpgMiSTer64 (resized).jpg

#261 3 years ago
Quoted from dmilo:

Yes it does cost more, $150 (FPGA) + $20 (32MB) + $60 (IO Board) = ~$230
I plugged mine into a Commodore 64 keyboard (with a C64 to USB adapter) to give it a more retro feel. I have a basement full of real vintage computers, but I haven't used them in a while since I got my MiSTer setup. It's not for everybody, but it's a fun distraction.
[quoted image]

That is actually better than I thought parts wise. It seemed like you needed more than 3 items to get started.

Maybe this is my winter project...

3 weeks later
#262 3 years ago

What games? Like to play them

1 week later
#263 3 years ago
Quoted from cdnpinbacon:

What games? Like to play them

Not sure what you mean, but there are no games included with it. You add "roms" to your sdcard that you insert into the device. I have 128GB sdcard, which is more than enough for all the games I play mainly on the Amiga/C64. The Amiga core allows you to attach a virtual hard drive and boot into it.

#264 3 years ago

How robust is the games library ? Such as Wayne Gretzky hockey series...seems only certain Amiga games offered.

#265 3 years ago
Quoted from cdnpinbacon:

How robust is the games library ? Such as Wayne Gretzky hockey series...seems only certain Amiga games offered.

I don't think I understand your question. No games are included. The Amiga Core supports Amiga 100/500/2000/3000, Amiga 600/1200,4000 almost all OCS/ECS/AGA custom resolutions, PAL/NTSC. The entire game library should work, especially if you find a version of a game without copy protection. I have not found any game that doesn't work. I have probably have a couple thousand games on the VHD image (including Wayne Gretzky 1 & 2), The VHD doesn't have every game, but those aren't included you can download and run as a floppy.

#266 3 years ago

Where is the best place to buy all the hardware required to setup a working system? I tried the links above that dmilo posted, however the eBay link didn't work and the Amazon link only shows what I believe to be part of what is required. Really looking for the ABC guide on what is required. Hoping someone has the time to post some information.

#267 3 years ago

The 16 year old in me... SO wants to go look at these Amiga Cores...
I've never ever owned an Amiga as I was a out-of-date Atari 8bit nerd.
I very much remember wanting a ST... an Amiga... even a Commodore ... but alas... my parents were; not great at seeing the future and didn't understand the nerdgazm these machines created.

I went from an Atari 800 to a 286PC w/ VGA monochrome.... ah.. the leap that was.
One day; I'll retire... then I'll have infinite time for this sickness I seem to avoided until now.

#268 3 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

The 16 year old in me... SO wants to go look at these Amiga Cores...
I've never ever owned an Amiga as I was a out-of-date Atari 8bit nerd.
I very much remember wanting a ST... an Amiga... even a Commodore ... but alas... my parents were; not great at seeing the future and didn't understand the nerdgazm these machines created.
I went from an Atari 800 to a 286PC w/ VGA monochrome.... ah.. the leap that was.
One day; I'll retire... then I'll have infinite time for this sickness I seem to avoided until now.

If you do, please do yourself a favor and give Battle Squadron a spin with a quality microswitch joystick. It'll kick your ass but the music is worth the effort.

#269 3 years ago

I'm not trying to discourage anyone from doing the FPGA Amiga stuff by any means (I intend to do so myself). However if you want a quick fix that costs next to nothing purchase Amiga Forever (costs very little). It is a fully licensed emulation program which is constantly updated. I run it myself. Then if you find yourself really enjoying the games and the experience you can always go to the FPGA stuff.

https://www.amigaforever.com/

#270 3 years ago
Quoted from dmilo:

I don't think I understand your question. No games are included. The Amiga Core supports Amiga 100/500/2000/3000, Amiga 600/1200,4000 almost all OCS/ECS/AGA custom resolutions, PAL/NTSC. The entire game library should work, especially if you find a version of a game without copy protection. I have not found any game that doesn't work. I have probably have a couple thousand games on the VHD image (including Wayne Gretzky 1 & 2), The VHD doesn't have every game, but those aren't included you can download and run as a floppy.

Yes I know ...just wondering what games are available these days. I am interested in making a Dedicated Wayne Gretzky hockey arcade game. Love your help to be honest. The Amiga tank mice are a perfect start for controls.

2 months later
#271 3 years ago

All - any recommended Amiga collectors forums? I've done a google search and I see a bunch of them with different levels of activity. What is the "pinside" of the Amiga world in your opinion?

Also - any gotek floppy emulator experts out there? Having a small issue with mine on only one game. It asks me to insert disk 2 and I flip to it but it never loads. Every other game works when I need to switch disks.

1 month later
#272 3 years ago

All - any recommended Amiga collectors forums? I've done a google search and I see a bunch of them with different levels of activity. What is the "pinside" of the Amiga world in your opinion?
Also - any gotek floppy emulator experts out there? Having a small issue with mine on only one game. It asks me to insert disk 2 and I flip to it but it never loads. Every other game works when I need to switch disks.

Sorry for late answer, but have you tried downloading same disks from another place and compared disk checksums? Or you are sure the dumped discs your using on the gotek is 100%?

1 week later
#273 3 years ago
Quoted from mtn-:

Sorry for late answer, but have you tried downloading same disks from another place and compared disk checksums? Or you are sure the dumped discs your using on the gotek is 100%?

Thank you for the reply. I've tried a few different sources for the files but haven't reviewed checksums - that's a great next step.

#274 3 years ago

Bought a Shield Pro late last year to run Plex and replace my old Android box that was running Kodi. In doing so I stumbled across a thread that allows you to emulate Amiga games on the Shield Pro. I believe there are multiple ways to accomplish, but I continued to dig and found a super easy way to accomplish this. RetroX. Simply install it and it handles all of the magic. All you have to do is drop your ROMS into a folder and it handles the rest.

Enjoying some good ol Shadow of the Beast and Grand Monster Slam currently. Can’t wait to play some TV Sports football and Speedball 2 among all the other great Amiga games out there!

Check it out!

https://www.retrox.tv/

#275 3 years ago
Quoted from djreddog:

Bought a Shield Pro late last year to run Plex and replace my old Android box that was running Kodi. In doing so I stumbled across a thread that allows you to emulate Amiga games on the Shield Pro. I believe there are multiple ways to accomplish, but I continued to dig and found a super easy way to accomplish this. RetroX. Simply install it and it handles all of the magic. All you have to do is drop your ROMS into a folder and it handles the rest.
Enjoying some good ol Shadow of the Beast and Grand Monster Slam currently. Can’t wait to play some TV Sports football and Speedball 2 among all the other great Amiga games out there!
Check it out!
https://www.retrox.tv/

I'll have to check that out! Shadow of the Beast was such an amazing game for the time. I could get into some Blood Money too.

#276 3 years ago

Blood Money intro and soundtrack is sooo cool....

#277 3 years ago
Quoted from DorkVonWaterfall:

Blood Money intro and soundtrack is sooo cool....

I had most of the Psygnosis game posters on my bedroom walls as a teenager.

“The biggest answered question is... where is the money?”

#278 3 years ago
Quoted from emkay:

I had most of the Psygnosis game posters on my bedroom walls as a teenager.
“The biggest unanswered question is... where is the money?”

corrected that for you

and I see your blood money and raise you xenon 2: mega blast

#279 3 years ago
Quoted from j_m_:

corrected that for you

I think I got autocorrected.. still find that rattling around my brain sometimes.

“There’s a whole lot more coming!”

Edit: I didn’t remember the name but as soon as I saw the video it came back... that was another one that sucked up a ton of time!

#280 3 years ago

I never had an Amiga, but still have a Commodore 128, 64 and SX64. I haven't tried to power one on in ages. I ran a Commodore BBS in the middle 80's and it was a blast. The BBS had a screaming 10 meg hard drive, literally it made a lot of noise, and cost more than the computer, monitor, and floppy disk drives combined. Anyone still remember BBS's ?

#281 3 years ago

Used PC BBSs before the Internet. Basically trading pirated software, responding to messages on the boards (not too dissimilar to today's forums), and of course the door games. Tradewars 2002 rocked...

#282 3 years ago
Quoted from Pinball_Postal:

I never had an Amiga, but still have a Commodore 128, 64 and SX64. I haven't tried to power one on in ages. I ran a Commodore BBS in the middle 80's and it was a blast. The BBS had a screaming 10 meg hard drive, literally it made a lot of noise, and cost more than the computer, monitor, and floppy disk drives combined. Anyone still remember BBS's ?

I had the VIC20 all the way up through the C128D, including an SX64 (and then the Amigas...). Called a lot of BBSes on them but didn't run one until I had a PC. At risk of doxxing & dating myself:

https://defacto2.net/f/ad41f9

(717 is my area code)

#283 3 years ago
Quoted from metallik:

Tradewars 2002 rocked...

I used to be able to lay in bed and tell when my users were playing the doors just by the noises my hard drives made. Still can't sleep without a fan running in the room.

#284 3 years ago

Cool thread! I didn’t realize there were amiga fans here! I’ve still got the heavily modded A500 that got me through college along with way too many games. Had an 8mb ram expansion, 1mb chip ram with fat Agnes, 52mb SCSI hard drive, kickstart switcher, and the 570 sidecar cdrom. Fun setup!

Over the years, I collected a ton of hardware in a quest to get one of every model. Probably should reduce my collection a bit, but it’s tough to let go! Lol!

#285 3 years ago
Quoted from darrenex:

Over the years, I collected a ton of hardware in a quest to get one of every model. Probably should reduce my collection a bit, but it’s tough to let go! Lol!

Isn't that the case with every type of collection?

Still, if you have half a dozen Amiga 600s kicking around and want to sell one to me let's chat!

#286 3 years ago

Hell yeah! I was relentless modem trader. We used and abused all possible techniches for calling for free. Calling cards, pbxes, blueboxing, etc.

#287 3 years ago

My first computer was in 1985, I bought a used Atari 800 that came with 20-30 cartridge games and had an external floppy disk drive. That computer introduced me to the world of BBS's and "warez". I amassed a giant collection of Atari 800 games. Here is a classic review of the Atari 800:

"Kilobaud Microcomputing wrote in September 1980 that the Atari 800 "looks deceptively like a video game machine, [but had] the strongest and tightest chassis I have seen since Raquel Welch."

As for BBS games, played a ton of Trade Wars, Space Empire, and Pimp Wars.

Then in 1989 when I was 15 years old, I had my uncle take me to the bank and I withdrew $600 out of my savings account (only had a balance of like $750) and had him take me to the mall where I bought an Amiga 500 from Electronics Boutique. The money I had saved up was to be used towards my first car. My mom was beyond PISSED! Again, I used my Amiga to connect to Warez BBS's mostly and traded warez 24/7. I swear I had every Amiga game ever made at one point. In 1990 my computer buddy launched Arkham Assylum BBS and I was a co-sysop. We dabbled in making red/blue boxes but didn't have much success. However my computer buddy's dad worked for DuPont at the time and his Dad used to work from home at times routing cargo across the US by dialing into a mainframe at the DuPont HQ, and then from there dialing out HQ into the different cities to route cargo. Well somehow my computer figured out access to that connection and it allowed us to connect "locally" into the DuPont HQ's mainframe and the dial long distance for free and connect to any BBS in the world, all at the expense of DuPont. The only sucky part about it was that our transfer speeds were downgraded from 14.4 down to 2400. Fun times back then! LOTS of weekends where I got barely any sleep.

#288 3 years ago

nice story

didnt remember if i've told mine, but for sure i'm older than you : started with a TRS80, than VIC20, than C64, and finally A500 before PC...

#289 3 years ago

I say again ..The greatest hockey Simulation of all time , to this day , is Wayne Gretzky hockey With the commissioner disk is perfection. Earl weaver baseball is the reason i begged my parents for an Amiga. 1-2 may favorite Amiga games.

#290 3 years ago
Quoted from mtn-:

We used and abused all possible techniches for calling for free. Calling cards, pbxes, blueboxing, etc.

Same here, although blue boxing was dead by then. I used to wake up every morning and hack 20-30 LD codes, use about half and share the rest. Post them in hacked PBX mailboxes... now I work for the phone company and spent ten years programming PBXes.

Quoted from djreddog:

In 1990 my computer buddy launched Arkham Assylum BBS and I was a co-sysop. We dabbled in making red/blue boxes but didn't have much success.

I absolutely remember Arkham Asylum. Made plenty of red boxes too, using programmable dialers from Radio Shack and replacing the DTMF crystal with ones from Digikey. I'd paint the crystal with red paint so my customers couldn't read the frequency and make their own... used to get about $300 a piece for them from the local Ivy League college kids. Not bad for <$30 in materials!

The person who taught me how to make them is a Pinsider now too, 30 years later. Life is funny.

#291 3 years ago
Quoted from emkay:

Same here, although blue boxing was dead by then. I used to wake up every morning and hack 20-30 LD codes, use about half and share the rest. Post them in hacked PBX mailboxes... now I work for the phone company and spent ten years programming PBXes.

I absolutely remember Arkham Asylum. Made plenty of red boxes too, using programmable dialers from Radio Shack and replacing the DTMF crystal with ones from Digikey. I'd paint the crystal with red paint so my customers couldn't read the frequency and make their own... used to get about $300 a piece for them from the local Ivy League college kids. Not bad for <$30 in materials!
The person who taught me how to make them is a Pinsider now too, 30 years later. Life is funny.

Fun fact, one of my reports in college was on Captain Crunch, aka John Draper. People were blown away when I had to do a 5 minute presentation about my report.

#292 3 years ago
Quoted from j_m_:

corrected that for you

Blood money was the shit, Xenon 2 too but full Contact was the bomb. Demo scene intro stylee
I had a 68060 board in my Amiga, wish I still had it

#293 3 years ago
Quoted from emkay:

Yeah, I guess the difference was that you used ccitt5 internally in the states, for us in Sweden we only ever reached it on tollfree numbers to thirdworld countrys. So it was possible(but not easy) until early 90-95ish..

#294 3 years ago

We used MCI and Sprint to call long distance, called a local or 800 # and enter codes until they were killed. I think with Sprint one could only telnet out of certain larger cities in the US. I remember using Genie (General Electric), and Qlink. I ran Color64 on the BBS. Most of the neat Commodore games came out first in Europe, got broken and uploaded to BBS's in the states so I didn't have to call out often. I forgot about terms like Warez and Sysop. Oh, the good old days.

#295 3 years ago

We used MCI and Sprint to call long distance, called a local or 800 # and enter codes until they were killed. I think with Sprint one could only telnet out of certain larger cities in the US. I remember using Genie (General Electric), and Qlink. I ran Color64 on the BBS. Most of the neat Commodore games came out first in Europe, got broken and uploaded to BBS's in the states so I didn't have to call out often. I forgot about terms like Warez and Sysop. Oh, the good old days.

Never forget it was a swedish hacker on the C-64 scene that first wrote software that used the extrapolating algoritm that was used for generating card numbers. Hehe. Him and others got busted too, because they were bragging about it. Indeed, the good old days.

#296 3 years ago

Can we as a group , design our own “Amiga pie”?

#297 3 years ago

Balance of power

#298 3 years ago
Quoted from mtn-:

Yeah, I guess the difference was that you used ccitt5 internally in the states, for us in Sweden we only ever reached it on tollfree numbers to thirdworld countrys. So it was possible(but not easy) until early 90-95ish..

Actually, blue boxing still worked on CCITT 5. It wasn't until 6 that they moved signaling OOB; we're still using 7 in the states, 8 exists but will never be implemented from what I've been told.

#299 3 years ago

Isn't that the case with every type of collection?
Still, if you have half a dozen Amiga 600s kicking around and want to sell one to me let's chat!

Very true. I never do anything reasonably! Lol!

I wish I had a 600. That, the 2500, and the 3000ux were the only ones I didn’t have at some point. Still have nice boxed 1000, 2000, and 3000 along with way too may loose of all sorts.

#300 3 years ago

I also subscribe to a channel called retro recipes (big commodore fan). In one of his recent videos he did a tour of his stuidio. Anyone remember THIS JOYSTICK?!!
QUICKSHOT_JOYBOARD (resized).pngQUICKSHOT_JOYBOARD (resized).png

There are 323 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 7.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/attn-amiga-500-owners/page/6 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.